IGNORED

Yu Hirakawa - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

We've never had a plan B under manning due to the limited squad i think now we will have the ability to change formations as and when needed and have a big guy up front and someone on the wing that can cross

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, westonred said:

We've never had a plan B under manning due to the limited squad i think now we will have the ability to change formations as and when needed and have a big guy up front and someone on the wing that can cross

Manning only has a plan a because he fully believes in plan a. 

He had numerous options last season but he refused to move away from that plan a. 

What we can say is this season there are no excuses. He will have had the time on the grass he kept going on about. He would have shaped the squad to his liking. He has to deliver. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He had numerous options last season but he refused to move away from that plan a. 

What we can say is this season there are no excuses. He will have had the time on the grass he kept going on about. He would have shaped the squad to his liking. He has to deliver. 

I really want Manning to succeed this season. You?

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Thats a bit naive only having one way to play, we really struggled against the more physical sides and couldn't find a way of breaking a lot teams down and some games having zero shots on target So if he believes in the way he plays and is adament he is right then more fool him However he is now bringing in different types of players so we will have a plan B from this season 

7 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I really want Manning to succeed this season. You?

I'd happily take Manning walking out tomorrow and City being successful this season. Equally, if he's still here I hope City are successful. Common denominator being I hope City are successful.

Manning on the other hand, not fussed, but hope he does well whilst he's with us. If he does, he will jump ship quickly as per his move here.

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, BetterRedthanBlue said:

The deal could be signed but the contract and everything isn't announced until 1st July which is when the transfer window officially opens.

If that is the case what is stopping the ex-club from playing him? Could be an agreement in place that he will continue to play but if he gets injured the deal is off keeps the player in match fitness and he isn't just sat doing nothing.

The transfer window is already open here, it opened on 14th June.  And you can sign a player anytime you like, they just can’t play (ie registration doesn’t come into place until the window opened).

FWIW the Japan transfer window runs from 8th July to 21st August, but that wouldn’t stop any player leaving outside of that, or at least being announced.  It really wouldn’t make any difference if we signed him today, but his registration didn’t transfer until next Monday, we aren’t playing any games.

FWIW2 Hirikawa’s contract expires on 31st Jan 2025, ie only 6 months left.  That of course could be wrong, out of date or contain an option…so the loan with option to buy is an interesting bit of news…and doesn’t quite fit.  Maybe just lost in translation (what an awful film, expected so much more!)?

In your final scenario, the deal wouldn’t be “done”.  They’d just hold the docs in place ready to submit.

4 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

I'd happily take Manning walking out tomorrow and City being successful this season. Equally, if he's still here I hope City are successful. Common denominator being I hope City are successful.

Manning on the other hand, not fussed, but hope he does well whilst he's with us. If he does, he will jump ship quickly as per his move here.

I support Bristol City so I've wanted every one of our managers to succeed. I even wanted Pulis and Lennartson to do well, not that it was likely. I can't get stuck into this wanting Manning to fail because he dared replace the messiah Nigel Pearson. 

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, westonred said:

Thats a bit naive only having one way to play, we really struggled against the more physical sides and couldn't find a way of breaking a lot teams down and some games having zero shots on target So if he believes in the way he plays and is adament he is right then more fool him However he is now bringing in different types of players so we will have a plan B from this season 

I think we are all guessing, which is fine, that’s what OTIB is for.

But we are really gonna have to see who actually walks through the door and get a sense of the plan(s) over preseason at first.

With a simplistic view (that’s all I have), based on who the rumoured targets are, versus the profile of players we have been told we are after, it does in fairness seem a bit unstructured.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

It seems to me a couple on here want to criticise Manning for being inflexible & also for possibly signing players that give him options to play in different ways.

I know these posters like to moan about anything & everything, but do they not see their inconsistency here?

• Like 8
  • Flames 4

1 minute ago, Harry said:

It’s our identity 

The 1st time I was confident we'd get promoted under GJ was when we beat Bournemouth away on a Tues night. They had a big lump up front (Fletcher) who we could never handle.  That night McCombe didnt give him a sniff & it made me think we could withstand the bombardment from the more direct side.

Since being in the Championship, I'm often left feeling that the combo of power & pace is what we lack & the better sides have (with some obvs exceptions like Semenyo).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't think it's too different. If we are signing a player like this. Either they can fulfil a wing back role or they are player that can widen the pitch in some games. 

Again, it does feel the like some fans are still stuck on starting 11's and rigid formations when the game has moved on to 16 players used in 90+ minutes and fluidity in formations.

Agree with this.

I think the other point is that we know Manning chose a particular system last season based on the players available. We don’t know if that will be the system for next season.

7 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

The 1st time I was confident we'd get promoted under GJ was when we beat Bournemouth away on a Tues night. They had a big lump up front (Fletcher) who we could never handle.  That night McCombe didnt give him a sniff & it made me think we could withstand the bombardment from the more direct side.

Since being in the Championship, I'm often left feeling that the combo of power & pace is what we lack & the better sides have (with some obvs exceptions like Semenyo).

This IMHO, comes down to our desire to play attractive attacking football. We are footballing snobs at the City who cock a snook at clubs like Preston , Millwall or Luton for example who muscle there way to success knowing that they haven’t got the players to out-football the richer clubs. 
Pearson and his team brought that pragmatism to the club and the rest is history. We now have a coach who thinks we can and best of luck to him whilst the rest of us snook cocks. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agree with this.

I think the other point is that we know Manning chose a particular system last season based on the players available. We don’t know if that will be the system for next season.

Not sure I agree with this…imho he tried to shoehorn the players into HIS way, and it didn’t work very well.  When he changed it a bit at Easter it was better.  I still think results exceeded performance over those 8 games though.

We certainly know his “philosophy”.  How adaptable he is to that given a preseason we will need to wait and see.  There is a possibility he uses the 6-weeks to “double-down” on HIS way.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It seems to me a couple on here want to criticise Manning for being inflexible & also for possibly signing players that give him options to play in different ways.

I know these posters like to moan about anything & everything, but do they not see their inconsistency here?

Here we go again. Welcome to the new season. 

What people like yourself can't seem to understand is that the 'moaning' is coming from a place of wanting the best for Bristol City. 

Our club is seemingly all over the place with its plans and recruitment, why are you insinuating that we can't scrutinise that on a fans forum? 

Instead of throwing around rash statements, how about you debate the content that's been posted? 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Under GJ & Cotts with Flint at CB.

Massive outliers until you go back to Joe Jordan.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure I agree with this…imho he tried to shoehorn the players into HIS way, and it didn’t work very well.  When he changed it a bit at Easter it was better.  I still think results exceeded performance over those 8 games though.

We certainly know his “philosophy”.  How adaptable he is to that given a preseason we will need to wait and see.  There is a possibility he uses the 6-weeks to “double-down” on HIS way.

I freely admit I will always struggle to get on board with his way due to it being totally different to what we wanted. I don't think our identity as a football club will ever suit his way. Just my opinion of course. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Here we go again. Welcome to the next season. 

What people like yourself can't seem to understand is that the 'moaning' is coming from a place of wanting the best for Bristol City. 

Instead of throwing around rash statements, how about you debate the content that's been posted? 

DaveFevs has summed it up.

I don’t know how we will line up until I know who arrives & have seen our formation in friendlies.

In principle I understand the idea of having more than one option, which was largely how last season’s squad was set up.

I have no issue with Manning (unlike you) but zero confidence in our chairman or technical director.

You relentlessly criticise without seeing any positives anywhere.

There you go.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Schrodinger's Manning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

DaveFevs has summed it up.

I don’t know how we will line up until I know who arrives & have seen our formation in friendlies.

In principle I understand the idea of having more than one option, which was largely how last season’s squad was set up.

I have no issue with Manning (unlike you) but zero confidence in our chairman or technical director.

You relentlessly criticise without seeing any positives anywhere.

There you go.

But then there are some of us who have anxiety about our football club spending money on potentially clubs in the bag due to the austerity we had to go through because of previous reckless spending. Surely you can understand that?

I have no personal issue with Manning. Don't think he's the right guy for us. Not sure why you felt the need to make a subtle dig. 

Another thing you're missing is that there is lots of criticism because there hasn't been many positives over the past 9 months. That's on the club. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Oh no we’ve got a hipster’s seal of approval. These two are bound to be flops now then

He’s a legit scout that knows what he’s talking about in fairness.

15 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

Doesn't have a great record... his best scoring season is in the Japanese 2nd division and he only scored 6 ? Also hasnt represented japan at any level... Unless people no somthing about this lad I don't? 

No, I don't no.

😇

38 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But then there are some of us who have anxiety about our football club spending money on potentially clubs in the bag due to the austerity we had to go through because of previous reckless spending. Surely you can understand that?

I have no personal issue with Manning. Don't think he's the right guy for us. Not sure why you felt the need to make a subtle dig. 

Another thing you're missing is that there is lots of criticism because there hasn't been many positives over the past 9 months. That's on the club. 

Give it a rest ....we are on the verge of some new additions that look exciting and you are still spewing the anti everything City rhetoric . You say now you are anxious about spending Steve's money, and Manning not right for you, and not many positives last 9 months, you are really on a wind up on here and I feel ashamed I even bother to admonish you.  

Just go now you have had your fun.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Give it a rest ....we are on the verge of some new additions that look exciting and you are still spewing the anti everything City rhetoric . You say now you are anxious about spending Steve's money, and Manning not right for you, and not many positives last 9 months, you are really on a wind up on here and I feel ashamed I even bother to admonish you.  

Good morning Brian. You on holiday in North Korea? 

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

His answer below your post is why I don't engage with him anymore.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Our club is seemingly all over the place with its plans and recruitment, why are you insinuating that we can't scrutinise that on a fans forum? 

It’s not all over the place at all. There is generally an emphasis on young players with additional scope in Europe now.

It’s not a mix of loans and has beens who add no potential for improvement or income.

I don’t think there has been too much to suggest a ‘clubs in the bag’ approach either. It might hint at a different style to last season which, to me at least, is pleasing. Even Mr Pearson changed his style when he was able to recruit players he wanted. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

OK I'll take the bait. 

Yes it's nice to see we are making some signings. But surely you understand that in the very fabric of being a football fan is debating if a signing is a good one or not? 

As I posted earlier, once again the fundamental flaw in your thinking is that you view my comments as "anti everything City rhetoric" when actually it's wanting the best for the club. I'm sorry that you struggle with that concept. 

Plenty of people on here have issues with Manning, Tinnion, Jon Lansdown etc etc. That doesn't make us all anti City. 

Unfortunately there hasn't been much to post positively about the past 9 months. I don't know if you are aware but pretty much the whole club has undergone a restructure of sorts. That is of course of course going to cause discussion. 

If you're happy with all that's gone on, fair enough to you. Won't see me criticising you for that. Maybe you could give others the same courtesy. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Good morning Brian. You on holiday in North Korea? 

16 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Yes come and join me with a one way ticket..Pray Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

The sheer irony of one of the most vocal and prolific posters on here playing the martyr with the “North Korea” card!!! 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1

I’m fully with W-S-M and share his concerns, as others do.

I’m worried about the way in which Liam started his career here, the sudden shift to a different style post an international break when he was under pressure and what his plans genuinely are for the future.

Will he stick to the post-break style, which got results if not amazing performances. Or, will he double-down on his initial, preferred playing style, with a preseason to implement this? I’m worried this is what will happen, as the original style wasn’t working and wasn’t, aesthetically, the way I want to see a City side playing.

Given the doubts over the playing style, it’s concerning to see that we don’t seem to be recruiting to a specific style either. Tall 9s, pacy skilful wingers, all mixed in with an abundance of number 10s and wingbacks. None of it seems to make sense collectively.

I want City to be successful. So far, I don’t see enough that Manning will bring this success and hope that the board act quickly if there are signs that he is reverting to his initial style and the results are not coming.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

The sheer irony of one of the most vocal and prolific posters on here playing the martyr with the “North Korea” card!!! 

The real irony is people telling people to not post negitive things on a forum. Hence the tongue in cheek North Korea comment. 

Really wish we hadn’t gone down the route of signing players from these obscure foreign leagues. But if you are going to do it could we not sign exciting, skilful players instead of a big head on a stick striker. Are we going long ball next season? The best football we’ve played down the Gate for years was that season Bobby Reid was converted as a striker and we played fast exciting football on the ground through the middle. Haven’t got a clue what style LM has planned for us next year. 

• Confused 3
  • Facepalm 1

How do you know that we are all over the place with our recruitment?  Just like me, you have absolutely no concept of what is going on behind the scenes, LM  might be organising and developing his recruitment exactly how he has planned?  There is nothing wrong with debate, but it helps if you have access to facts, rather than conjecture and lack of information?      

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

Doesn't have a great record... his best scoring season is in the Japanese 2nd division and he only scored 6 ? Also hasnt represented japan at any level... Unless people no somthing about this lad I don't? 

Cancel the deal!

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

How do you know that we are all over the place with our recruitment?  Just like me, you have absolutely no concept of what is going on behind the scenes, LM  might be organising and developing his recruitment exactly how he has planned?  There is nothing wrong with debate, but it helps if you have access to facts, rather than conjecture and lack of information?      

@Dastardly and Muttley answered this pretty well. 

I did say "seemingly" 

Once again all this leads back to the poor communication by the club. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The real irony is people telling people to not post negitive things on a forum. Hence the tongue in cheek North Korea comment. 

The issue being that negative things are all you post.

Yet when things are going well you disappear.

Using a rumour about a player who may or may not sign for the club as a stick by which to beat Manning isn't just bizarre, it also highlights a clear agenda

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Bristol Live now saying we will be signing this guy this week on loan with a view to buy, but he won't join us until after the Olympics.

I think that ends on August 10th so may not be too much of a delay (subject to fitness etc).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The issue being that negative things are all you post.

Yet when things are going well you disappear.

Using a rumour about a player who may or may not sign for the club as a stick by which to beat Manning isn't just bizarre, it also highlights a clear agenda

Yes the clear agenda is my wish for the club to succeed. I hope you have the same agenda too. 

I remember one game last season, can't remember which one it was or who tagged me, but it was 30 mins after a home win and someone tagged me cos I hadn't posted anything positive about the win. Takes at least 40 mins to get back to Weston. 

Why do you have an issue with fellow supporters questioning how the club is run? 

If you don't like negitive things being posted I suggest you stay away from the come on England Post or the politics section. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes the clear agenda is my wish for the club to succeed. I hope you have the same agenda too. 

I remember one game last season, can't remember which one it was or who tagged me, but it was 30 mins after a home win and someone tagged me cos I hadn't posted anything positive about the win. Takes at least 40 mins to get back to Weston. 

Why do you have an issue with fellow supporters questioning how the club is run? 

Not at all, but it's all about balance.

After every defeat under Manning last season, you were the busiest poster on here. Complaining about everything to do with the club.

Yet when we won, there was barely a squeak most of the time.

You're well within your rights to moan about everything, but others are also well within their rights to call you out on it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Find these sort of signings exciting. The unknown like Diedhiou and Kodja. We’ve never seen a Japanese player for City so that is exciting in itself. I will now be watching Japan in the Olympics to see what he’s about. 

I get there is things to be concerned about at city. But let’s try and keep this a positive thread about player moving half way across the world to play for our club 

• Like 17

Just now, JBFC II said:

Not at all, but it's all about balance.

After every defeat under Manning last season, you were the busiest poster on here. Complaining about everything to do with the club.

Yet when we won, there was barely a squeak most of the time.

You're well within your rights to moan about everything, but others are also well within their rights to call you out on it

Proof? 

Shock horror, fans post more when their team losses!

By the same token when we lose some very vocal posters dissappear completely. 

• Like 1

Christs sake lads.

It’s undeniably true that the jury is out on Liam for a lot of fans, myself included.

It’s also undeniably true that this isn’t really the thread to go off down that well worn path. There’ll be plenty of time to discuss and debate that, and the signing of a player none of us have seen live isn’t really the place.

Its shit like this that can give this place a bad name.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Proof? 

Shock horror, fans post more when their team losses!

By the same token when we lose some very vocal posters dissappear completely. 

I took at random 2 games of opposite emotions, each were a month apart.

After the 1-0 loss at home to Cardiff you posted 22 times within 36 hours of defeat.

After beating Blackburn 5-0 you posted 7 times about the game within 36 hours of victory.

As I said, a bit of balance always helps.

Anyway, let's try and be positive about what Manning is seemingly building ahead of next season. Finally starting to look like we're looking upwards, not down!

Edited by JBFC II

40 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

OK I'll take the bait. 

Yes it's nice to see we are making some signings. But surely you understand that in the very fabric of being a football fan is debating if a signing is a good one or not? 

As I posted earlier, once again the fundamental flaw in your thinking is that you view my comments as "anti everything City rhetoric" when actually it's wanting the best for the club. I'm sorry that you struggle with that concept. 

Plenty of people on here have issues with Manning, Tinnion, Jon Lansdown etc etc. That doesn't make us all anti City. 

Unfortunately there hasn't been much to post positively about the past 9 months. I don't know if you are aware but pretty much the whole club has undergone a restructure of sorts. That is of course of course going to cause discussion. 

If you're happy with all that's gone on, fair enough to you. Won't see me criticising you for that. Maybe you could give others the same courtesy. 

I truly don't see how you can say that there hasn't been much to post positively about in the past 9 months.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I freely admit I will always struggle to get on board with his way due to it being totally different to what we wanted. I don't think our identity as a football club will ever suit his way. Just my opinion of course. 

Maybe it is safer to judge by the end results rather than your subjective impressions of the people and the processes that bring about those end results. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but work permit being as he's not played internationally? Or is it different now? 

I take it youth caps don't count?

He's just played a bunch for the Japan U23s and is going to the Olympics with Japan.

Edited by broodje

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

I took at random 2 games of opposite emotions, each were a month apart.

After the 1-0 loss at home to Cardiff you posted 22 times within 36 hours of defeat.

After beating Blackburn 5-0 you posted 7 times about the game within 36 hours of victory.

As I said, a bit of balance always helps

Who'd have thought losing 1 nil at home in a Derby game against Cardiff who were absolutely horrendous to what I think was their only shot would upset a Bristol City fan 🤷‍♂️

We are all happier when we win and I suspect this place is quieter after a win vs a defeat. 

You can try and frame it however you want but I always go to great lengths to express my thoughts. Let's leave it at that. 

4 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but work permit being as he's not played internationally? Or is it different now? 

I think I read previously that the rules have recently changed? And clubs can sign something like 2 players from around the world? 

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Can we all get along, atleast till we inevitably lose our first game. 

One thing we can be sure of is that every matchday thread next season will include a Manning in/out debate, with I-told-you-so-galore from both sides. At least we know what to expect 😂:city:

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

One thing we can be sure of is that every matchday thread next season will include a Manning in/out debate, with I-told-you-so-galore from both sides. At least we know what to expect 😂:city:

The season won’t have officially started until i see a manning in/out poll thread posted 14 seconds after the final whistle 😂

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I support Bristol City so I've wanted every one of our managers to succeed. I even wanted Pulis and Lennartson to do well, not that it was likely. I can't get stuck into this wanting Manning to fail because he dared replace the messiah Nigel Pearson. 

Same here, my point being I'm not fussed about Mannings career, just hope he is successful here. As soon as he is, he is likely to jump quickly, as shown by his time at Oxford at a whiff of success. I liked that Nige seemed in it for the long term, integrity.

Not his fault for the poor way the club dealt with sacking Nige mind. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think too much emphasis is placed on “clubs in the bag” because of our previous relationship with LJ. I feel a degree of flexibility in systems is a good thing as at times next season, even if Manning has a stormer, there will be teams who have our number and we need to change system to better our chances at getting something from the game. Hopefully the club has done their homework and the players brought in will be good enough to be useful in both types of system.

Would you not be more worried if we spent our whole budget recruiting for one very specific way of playing? If we got found out early, we’d then be in for a very long season.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Bristol Live now saying we will be signing this guy this week on loan with a view to buy, but he won't join us until after the Olympics.

So, not contractual reasons then! 🤣🤣🤣

47 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I think that ends on August 10th so may not be too much of a delay (subject to fitness etc).

Gut feel is that as the Olympics is mid-season you could argue he can straight(ish) out of that and into league footie, whether that be Japan or here.

The question mark if it it happens is loan term v contract remaining.  Gonna ask James P.

+++++

Eff me, there’s some pot and kettles on both sides today!  Chill.

Edited by Davefevs

54 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Gives us an interest in the Olympic football at least.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I think too much emphasis is placed on “clubs in the bag” because of our previous relationship with LJ. I feel a degree of flexibility in systems is a good thing as at times next season, even if Manning has a stormer, there will be teams who have our number and we need to change system to better our chances at getting something from the game. Hopefully the club has done their homework and the players brought in will be good enough to be useful in both types of system.

Would you not be more worried if we spent our whole budget recruiting for one very specific way of playing? If we got found out early, we’d then be in for a very long season.

Agreed. If you look at Man City, do the signings of Haaland, Grealish and Doku fit into what we perceive to be classic Pepball. Nunez at Liverpool another example. 

2 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

Same here, my point being I'm not fussed about Mannings career, just hope he is successful here. As soon as he is, he is likely to jump quickly, as shown by his time at Oxford at a whiff of success. I liked that Nige seemed in it for the long term, integrity.

Not his fault for the poor way the club dealt with sacking Nige mind. 

Fair enough but we don't know he will jump.  I don't know whether he jumped from Lommel to MK Dons but he didn't jump out of MK Dons he was pushed so possibly his only jump is from Oxford to us. That he's ambitious is what I'd expect from a young coach but if he leads us to where he and we want to be perhaps he will stay.