IGNORED

Yu Hirakawa - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

10 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Japan have qualified for next stage so I didn't expect him to be involved tonight even if he was fit.

That's what I was thinking.
I did a search on Twitter and I did find one Tweet , it said he should be available and would be allowed to play in the Quarters . Problem is there is so much speculation and repeating of guesses you can't tell which one is worth believing .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

All the pictures show is him training. 

What the picture doesn't show is if the pictures were today or another time. 

The translated quote alongside the pictures say:

"Yu Hirakawa recovers from injury! Puts on his cleats and prepares for the match against Israel"

Again why would a reputable Japanese football site like that post old photos?! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

So the embedded metadata within the file https://f.image.geki.jp/data/image/news/2560/413000/412266/news_412266_1.webp?time=20240730175506 says that:

• was shot using a Nikon Z 9 using a 400mm lens
  • was taken at 16:43:26 yesterday (29/07/2024)
  • was edited at 23:24:36 yesterday (29/07/2024) using Adobe Photoshop 25.11 on a Mac
  • the above times appear to be UTC + 02:00 (which matches Paris's timezone)

Other images in the gallery appear to share very similar metadata barring a change of lens.

This is the sort of detective work this thread needs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm inclined to believe @phantom although I hope that is on the pessimistic side and that we'll see him sooner.

29 minutes ago, !james said:

I'm inclined to believe the actual photos I can see with my eyes 😂

Lads lads lads! 
Both things can be equally true. 

Yu can be “back on the grass”, which as we know in Bristol City parlance, can still mean “2 months out”. 

• Haha 3
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

Whether he is playing in a meaningless fixture (Japan have the group won) is irrelevant. The evidence of the photos having been taken yesterday and the Japanese report saying he is back in training suggest he is still there. There are no reports of him having left the Japanese camp so I think we can assume he is likely to be back in the squad for their next game.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

So the embedded metadata within the file https://f.image.geki.jp/data/image/news/2560/413000/412266/news_412266_1.webp?time=20240730175506 says that:

• was edited at 23:24:36 yesterday (29/07/2024) using Adobe Photoshop 25.11 on a Mac

Other images in the gallery appear to share very similar metadata barring a change of lens.

Yeah, but who shot JFK?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, !james said:

Why would a reputable Japanese football account with 500k followers have any reason to lie?! 

Ghost written by Tinnion? :whistle:

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yeah, but who shot JFK?

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Professor Plum, in the depository with the revolver?

No , that's not right , it was a triple barrelled name ..... J Arthur Rank ?

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

What an absolute hero! Well done that man.

PS. How do we REALLY know they're from that time? Surely they could have edited the Metadata............................ ;)

Edited by UREDS_91
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UREDS_91 said:

What an absolute hero! Well done that man.

PS. How do we REALLY know they're from that time? Surely they could have edited the Metadata............................ ;)

Yes, metadata can be edited.

But I'd suggest any photographer associated with any major image library (and the photographer here seems to have connections to Getty) isn't likely to be toying with those timestamps unless there's good cause. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P'head Red said:

This is the sort of detective work this thread needs. 

Used to have to do this to figure out if it was a first generation image (ie generated by the camera on the phone) or downloaded from another user.

All very illuminating.....🤣

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I suspect we won't see him in a City shirt this side of mid October when we factor in the October International break but I hope to be quite wrong.

So is that based on injury or being with the Japan squad?

I am now getting confused.

And I know some  of you will say' 'nothing new there'

3 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

So is that based on injury or being with the Japan squad?

I am now getting confused.

And I know some  of you will say' 'nothing new there'

My layman's (possibly wrong) take is this..

*Assuming Yu is out for 2 months or thereabouts

That takes us up to late September.

*Add in time between fitness and Match Fit, robustness

*Then in early October an International break.

Therefore the game in mid October could be a realistic target, is the Game following the October International break when hopefully he hits the ground running.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My layman's (possibly wrong) take is this..

*Assuming Yu is out for 2 months or thereabouts

That takes us up to late September.

*Add in time between fitness and Match Fit, robustness

*Then in early October an International break.

Therefore the game in mid October could be a realistic target, is the Game following the October International break when hopefully he hits the ground running.

Ok that makes sense.

But do we belief that any of these training pics are currently. And therefore if he is training with Japan squad currently would that not make you think the injury is not a 2 month recovery ?

Just how it seems to me 

15 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Ok that makes sense.

But do we belief that any of these training pics are currently. And therefore if he is training with Japan squad currently would that not make you think the injury is not a 2 month recovery ?

Just how it seems to me 

I hope for the best, I'm apprehensive about the reality.

Is my simplistic take. Phantom also seems a solid and reliable poster.

• Thanks 1

This is completely illogical but I believe Phantom with his anonymous source, more than I do the official Japanese Twitter account. 😂

Mr P is right. We’ve been down this road before. The way things are unfolding is depressingly familiar.

Edited by Wanderingred

7 minutes ago, City Slicker said:

There is clearly a picture of him training with the metadata of the photo saying it was yesterday, in this thread. I think we are good thank god.....

..........until he does his hamstring in training in a few days time! :shocking:

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I hope for the best, I'm apprehensive about the reality.

Is my simplistic take. Phantom also seems a solid and reliable poster.

Given that I was told something similar to @phantom, if he is ok then either the club have got the wrong end of the stick or maybe they are trying to smoke out a leak? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, RedRoss said:

This 500k twitter account posted these images today referencing he's back on the field in his boots:

Screenshot_20240730-1958272.thumb.png.147a81264c3b75d4aebf3663ff1709cc.png

On one of the images he has slight strapping:

Screenshot_20240730-2000432.thumb.png.07d732d09f8760c184f352b1a35ee2df.png

Asic's, there a blast from the past. You don't see many players in those nowadays.

Getting Adam Nagy DejaVu

Injured his ankle on his debut for us (making a brilliant tackle on Eze and scoring!)

Unavailable for us but then picked for some big Hungary games, came back more injured and never really got going after that. Without derailing this thread, I wish Nagy was signed to play with Pack and not his replacement, what a Midfield trio with Pack, Nagy and Brownhill, all complimenting each other's strengths and weaknesses...

Back to Yu, I hope it's not too bad and I really hope he's not rushed back for us or Japan. The only way he will settle in this league is if he's not rushed and is fully fit, I'm concerned that as it's a loan we'll look to get him back ASAP to see if worth triggering the 'option' we think we have. Let the injury heal, let him settle and slowly integrate him in and think we need patience here as a club and fanbase.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Given that I was told something similar to @phantom, if he is ok then either the club have got the wrong end of the stick or maybe they are trying to smoke out a leak? 

Good shout. Could be a leaker at play although football is quire a leaky industry.

Hopefully all is well with Yu either way, but remember radio silence and speculation filling the void.then the devastating Afobe out for the season news in mid September

• Like 1

• Admin
14 hours ago, !james said:

I'm inclined to believe the actual photos I can see with my eyes 😂

You mean the pictures taken on 22nd July?

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm inclined to believe @phantom although I hope that is on the pessimistic side and that we'll see him sooner.

I since know someone else received a similar message, I don't imagine from the same person

But they are still standing by their comment this morning

Like above we shared the information in good faith, the person who messaged me has been very accurate in the past, I guess time will tell

• Like 1

• Admin
1 minute ago, Betty Swallocks said:

No the ones that were taken on Monday. 

Unless I am missing something here, those pictures are the same that were shared on a Japanese account back in July?

Like above, time will tell

• Like 1

Nikkan Sports report: https://www.nikkansports.com/olympic/paris2024/soccer/news/202407290000287.html

including direct quotes from the player himself

"Hirakawa Yu's amazing recovery ability: "I don't really understand it myself" "I have hope" for a return"

[Nantes, France, 28th (29th Japan time) - Sato Sei] The Japanese men's soccer team for the Paris Olympics, which has advanced to the quarterfinals, arrived in Nantes, the venue for their third match against Israel (30th - 31st Japan time) from Bordeaux the day after their second group stage match against Mali, to prepare for the match.

Midfielder Yu Hirakawa (23, Bristol City), who injured his right ankle after a vicious foul by the opponent in the first match against Paraguay, appeared on the pitch and demonstrated that he is making a steady recovery.

After jogging in running shoes, he also worked on a routine where he touched a ball and changed into spikes to increase his speed considerably.

Regarding his condition, he said, "When I got injured, I had a strong feeling that it would be difficult for me to take part in the Olympics. But with the help of medical staff, I've been able to return to the pitch little by little and my recovery is much faster than expected. I'm getting better every day, which surprises even me. I don't really understand why." He is showing his amazing ability to recover.

Regarding the training that day, which was his first on the pitch since his injury, he expressed satisfaction, saying, "I was able to do more than I had imagined."

Hirakawa's drastic treatment should come in handy on the Olympic stage. Looking back on his time in the tough Tokyo Division 1 League at Yamanashi Gakuin University, he said, "I was the type of person who would heal my ankle while I was playing. I didn't go to the hospital, and it was a daily routine to play without knowing what was going to happen. The artificial turf was also very bumpy in that league, so I guess it's durable."

He says that his experience has helped him to withstand pain, and that he is "hopeful (about returning during the Olympics). I want to do everything for the team," as he continues to prepare to perform well from the quarterfinals onwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Nikkan Sports report: https://www.nikkansports.com/olympic/paris2024/soccer/news/202407290000287.html

Assuming this is all correct of course did the interviewer tell the player he was talking out of his arse and that a source at the HPC knows far more about his injury and recovery time than he does himself?

• Haha 8

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Assuming this is all correct of course did the interviewer tell the player he was talking out of his arse and that a source at the HPC knows far more about his injury and recovery time than he does himself?

As they haven't had time or the opportunity to see the injury first hand, I assume they were going off the data provided by the Japanese medical team. They probably looked at that and provided estimates based on what is normal for that type of injury, but either the severity was over played or he genuinely does have remarkable recovery abilities.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They probably looked at that and provided estimates based on what is normal for that type of injury, but either the severity was over played or he genuinely does have remarkable recovery abilities.

Let's hope it's the latter because he'll need it here. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

As they haven't had time or the opportunity to see the injury first hand, I assume they were going off the data provided by the Japanese medical team. They probably looked at that and provided estimates based on what is normal for that type of injury, but either the severity was over played or he genuinely does have remarkable recovery abilities.

Like I said, assuming it's all true, it shows why people at the HPC shouldn't be divulging information to fans who then stick it on here as absolute fact (in good faith). Simply by undertaking a basic internet search, others have seemingly found information including quotes by the player himself that questions whether that "fact" has any truth to it. This wasn't a club statement that said he's out for a couple of months, it was a club insider putting it out there to fans who might well turn out to be chatting utter bollocks, in good faith or otherwise.

Don't divulge it to your mates and you don't look like a dick. What I don't understand is how could the club be unaware this was all happening - the article is two days old.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The big problem here assuming he gets back to fitness soon is that he has not played a pre season with us and will either have to be thrown in at the deep end or integrated with sub appearances.

That was gonna happen anyway though, no?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The big problem here assuming he gets back to fitness soon is that he has not played a pre season with us and will either have to be thrown in at the deep end or integrated with sub appearances.

It's not a problem. We signed him knowing that would be the case anyway. We are very unlikely to see him starting in the first few matches whatever his ankle is like, whether it's 80% or 100%. He's done a single WEEK of training with the club which means we will spend a bit of time integrating him and also gives us time to make sure his injury is absolutely 100% cleared by the time he does his first 90 for us.........

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If it goes well September maybe given integration, adjustment, Olympics etc?

Which gives us a good amount of time to see whether it is worth triggering the option to buy.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

He's been playing in the J-League, so is match sharp in that respect. The worry would more be latter stages of the season burnout had he not had this lay off. Obviously the injury will see him needing to do a little work to bring him back up to speed, but I'm sure that's what's happening in the Japan Olympic squad anyway.

If you were meaning more along the lines of working with the boys on systems and tactics etc then it's no different from signing someone on the last day of the transfer window or in January and playing them straight away. 

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Unless I am missing something here, those pictures are the same that were shared on a Japanese account back in July?

Like above, time will tell

The photos were taken yesterday, read the last few pages. Multiple twitter posts and someone found the metadata showing when they were taken 👍

• Thanks 1

Blimey, there are some wild assumptions on here based on little fact/or what they've read someone say. And now its gospel. 

You can see how rubbish spouted in social media with no validation, suddenly becomes the 'truth' for some people.

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

"The winger was subject to a rash challenge from Wilder Viera, who was later sent off after a VAR consultation, on his right ankle."

To quote Sir Winston C : "This is the kind of English up with which I will not put!"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

"The winger was subject to a rash challenge from Wilder Viera, who was later sent off after a VAR consultation, on his right ankle."

To quote Sir Winston C : "This is the kind of English up with which I will not put!"

See I read that perfectly well RR. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

It's a shame we've still got the twenty year old gashead who doesn't know anything writing articles in Piercy's absence.

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ah that’s why RR. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Blimey. 
So we’ve gone from 2 months out to back in contention within a day!! 
Those Japanese medical staff must be miracle workers. Maybe we should sign them up!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Blimey. 
Those Japanese medical staff must be miracle workers. Maybe we should sign them up!! 

I heard they have Chris Martin as their head of medical. He will Fix Yu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Blimey. 

thorn-miyagi.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Does that still apply if for some reason they had just taken a screenshot of the original image? I have just tried that on my phone and the details show it as today's date, are you looking at something else more in depth?

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Does that still apply if for some reason they had just taken a screenshot of the original image? I have just tried that on my phone and the details show it as today's date, are you looking at something else more in depth?

Fair play to anyone who could take a screenshot with a 400mm lens!!!