IGNORED

Yu Hirakawa - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

4 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

A quick update - I’ve been advised our Japanese flying winger will now be announced Friday as his club want to arrange a farewell match. He will then do the media stuff etc Monday 👍

farewell match... 

We've been here before

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

he will be frozen stiff for a few months til he gets used to the climate here

He might be happy to get away......

Excessive Heat Warning
Tokyo
56 mins ago – 気象庁
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Excessive Heat Warning
Tokyo
56 mins ago – 気象庁

So with the Hirakawa rumours, I follow Machida Zelvia on twitter, you follow Japanese weather! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

A quick update - I’ve been advised our Japanese flying winger will now be announced Friday as his club want to arrange a farewell match. He will then do the media stuff etc Monday 👍

It’s like Fawthrop/Tinnion/Millen/Holden. Same mistakes over and over again.  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

It’s like Fawthrop/Tinnion/Millen/Holden. Same mistakes over and over again.  

Excited by the signing but if that’s true then it’s Emad Moteab all over again. Surprised we are allowing that to happen.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So with the Hirakawa rumours, I follow Machida Zelvia on twitter, you follow Japanese weather! 🤣🤣🤣

I'd love to claim an unusual obsession, but I justwent to look at what the temperatures are like in Tokyo, just to see whether (no pun intended) @redsquirrelwas right.

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Excessive Heat Warning
Tokyo
56 mins ago – 気象庁

Let's hope this one doesn't crash & burn -

By the way,,did you hear the one about the Irish Kamikaze pilot???

10 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Excited by the signing but if that’s true then it’s Emad Moteab all over again. Surprised we are allowing that to happen.

I think it's just a little bit outside of Moteab, but not much. In Moteab's case we were stumping up a lot of money to buy the player. In this case we are asking to pay a smaller fee and take him on loan and maybe we will buy him at the end. I can see why his parent club might say you can borrow him when we're ready (after the game we have been preparing for this week). If we were stumping up millions to buy him permanently and immediately, then I think the dynamic changes to us being able to say 'no, we want him now'. 

6 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Does this Corsham Alf have any proven ITK history? Sorry but I heard a lot about change of manager prior to Pearson going yet you don’t break your cover. 

Yeah loads. 

22 hours ago, Corsham Alf said:

22 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

farewell match... 

We've been here before

BBBobbin, that was exactly my thought as soon as I had read CorshamAlf's point.

We are referencing the Egyptian striker. The fact he never actually played for Gary Johnson's team,  gave us a new meaning to Pyramid Selling.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Like what? Checked posting history the other day. Couldn’t see anything. 

Im tending to agree,,, stories are changing as we go, and theres no way we do a medical then let him go and play a farewell match,,,, although with our lot anything’s possible? 

23 hours ago, Corsham Alf said:

When you say “want to arrange a farewell match”, do you mean their J-League match on Saturday with Nagoya (Grampus-8 in old money…remember them - Lineker / Wenger)?

• Like 3

On 03/07/2024 at 22:23, Shauntaylor85 said:

I thought with Moteab that he went and played without letting City know about it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

I thought with Moteab that he went and played without letting City know about it.

Exactly this.

He signed for us & then played for his old team afterwards.

We haven’t signed this Japanese lad yet, so mad as it seems to me, he can keep playing for his current side until we do.

Totally different circumstances.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly this.

He signed for us & then played for his old team afterwards.

We haven’t signed this Japanese lad yet, so mad as it seems to me, he can keep playing for his current side until we do.

Totally different circumstances.

Seems like we'd announce that he'll be "joining us subject to international clearance and medical" which we would envisage to go through likely after Saturday and his last game. He'd fly to us from Japan to take pictures and do the medical, then go on to the Olympics. I think it makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Seems like we'd announce that he'll be "joining us subject to international clearance and medical" which we would envisage to go through likely after Saturday and his last game. He'd fly to us from Japan to take pictures and do the medical, then go on to the Olympics. I think it makes perfect sense. 

Boro didn’t announce their American until after he’d played his farewell game.  There was a lot of rumours, but they didn’t announce anything.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Boro didn’t announce their American until after he’d played his farewell game.  There was a lot of rumours, but they didn’t announce anything.

Not sure why we'd necessarily have to announce Friday, we could totally wait until Monday if that timeline is correct anyway. But maybe they don't want to upset Otib? ;)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Quiet day in work today (hopefully) so hoping for City to be entertaining. Hirakawa and a home kit please :)

His team have a game tomorrow, if he’s involved then it will be a fair few days yet, as it’s a 13 hour flight to London for a start.

Posted (edited)

I'm not sold in this one at all...

23 so still young but not played much pro football - and never outside of Japan...

Most of the football he's played was at Uni...

It's a gamble for sure.

What sort of money is this rumoured to be costing???

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Son of Fred said:

23 so still young but not played much pro football - and never outside of Japan...

It's a gamble for sure.

His contract expires in January,so I’d be amazed if this is even £500k.

Symptomatic of us spending considerably less than some on here kept saying.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not sure why we'd necessarily have to announce Friday, we could totally wait until Monday if that timeline is correct anyway. But maybe they don't want to upset Otib? ;)

Nor me.  Announce it when it’s completely done, e.g. medical, registrations, work permits.  Why announce before?  Appease the fans?  Most of us would rather wait.

4 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

It's a gamble for sure.

Very little, probably somewhere near to the FIFA compo amount, so £300k, if that!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

It's a gamble for sure.

Exactly my thoughts. It’s a massive gamble bringing someone in from the far east with a different language/culture and standard of football. Why don’t we just focus on the domestic market - unless it’s all about financials?! 

29 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Exactly my thoughts. It’s a massive gamble bringing someone in from the far east with a different language/culture and standard of football. Why don’t we just focus on the domestic market - unless it’s all about financials?! 

Well of course its about financials. We are looking for the cheapest possible players. A player with the same sort of ability in this country would cost millions and want thousands a week in wages we shop in the bargain basement these days and hope to find a hidden gem 

• Like 4

• Admin
29 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

What sort of following does he have? Asian football fans are known to support an individual as much, if not more, than a team and will follow them from team to team. Bristol City's merchandising department could be in for a huge culture shock. 

They already get that from starved and desperate domestic fans whenever they release something that "isn't terrible" and they find themselves out of stock on launch day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, westonred said:

Well of course its about financials. We are looking for the cheapest possible players. A player with the same sort of ability in this country would cost millions and want thousands a week in wages we shop in the bargain basement these days and hope to find a hidden gem 

Playing a bit of Devil’s advocate…if it’s all about the cheapest players, for the sake of a couple of hundred grand (the potential amount we might have to pay), why not look at the free agent market here to mitigate the risk.  Chris Willock for example.

I don’t think it’s a case of we want a £5m player and think we can get him for £1m in Japan.

Probably not wording it right, hopefully makes sense.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, westonred said:

Nailed it.

43 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

What sort of following does he have? Asian football fans are known to support an individual as much, if not more, than a team and will follow them from team to team. Bristol City's merchandising department could be in for a huge culture shock. 

Don’t think he’s high profile at all, not even a full international.

Your point is a good one, if he’s a regular in the squad there will be significant interest in his home country.

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

It's a gamble for sure.

Always a risk. This is just a cheaper risk. He’s young performing extremely well at a decent level, plenty of Japanese players have been able to adapt quickly to life abroad. Everyone’s different but I don’t mind the risk.

The obvious success story is Mitoma. Before signing for brighton  Played 50 games in Japan, most of his football was at uni aswell. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, westonred said:

He's not earning peanuts in Japan....he won't be on peanuts if he joins us.

7 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I just hope our scouting and assessments of overseas players is good enough, but with BT & JL in charge I won’t hold my breath

I do understand the reasons behind comments such as this, it's been well documented, but it is getting rather boring now. (Not a dig at you in particular by the way)

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I just hope our scouting and assessments of overseas players is good enough, but with BT & JL in charge I won’t hold my breath

The hardest thing is judging one league in one country versus another.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Playing a bit of Devil’s advocate…if it’s all about the cheapest players, for the sake of a couple of hundred grand (the potential amount we might have to pay), why not look at the free agent market here to mitigate the risk.  Chris Willock for example.

I don’t think it’s a case of we want a £5m player and think we can get him for £1m in Japan.

Probably not wording it right, hopefully makes sense.

Just because of how the club flip-flops on strategy and pursues whims, I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if all the press around the Tourist Pound as part of the season ticket debates across Football peaked interest in Guernsey and the directive came ‘go buy a player from the far east’. 

Frankly I’d bet on that being the case

Edited by 38MC

3 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

No-one knows what this guy will be like at this stage. But if we saw another Championship team picking up a random Japanese guy for peanuts there would be a load of City fans saying "why can't we ever find players like that?".  

There are Japanese 🇯🇵 players in the championship one at Coventry,  Huddersfield and one in League one with Birmingham ( championship last season) I am sure none of these players cost a future. 

17 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

No-one knows what this guy will be like at this stage. But if we saw another Championship team picking up a random Japanese guy for peanuts there would be a load of City fans saying "why can't we ever find players like that?".  

exactly! 

City shop in markets that they can afford at home and abroad. All this shop in the bargain basement nonsense is utter rubbish. Go ask the gas where the bargain basement is and what it’s like!!

But without a doubt the club are looking for a gem and have found the likes of Scott, Semenyo, Brownhill etc etc etc in the past. 

So far the current regime haven’t found one we can point to but, I’m sure Mr Tinnion would point to his track record and influence in previous purchases. 

If we want to shop at a better level then we have to increase revenue, that is just a simple fact. FFP sees to that. 

I liked the comment up the thread about overseas exposure particularly in Asia. You have to look to Leicester to see what can happen. 

Hopefully the kid will be the next <insert player name here> and the risk will be justified, but you calculate your risk and in those terms the kid from Rapid Vienna is a much greater one!!

Just for context AD had to shop at these levels to build a team and so did Pearson. Let’s be thankful Jon has persuaded dad to cover our losses while the club risk the money that the player tracking team think are worth the punt!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 38MC said:

Just because of how the club flip-flops on strategy and pursues whims, I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if all the press around the Tourist Pound as part of the season ticket debates across Football peaked interest in Guernsey and the directive came ‘go buy a player from the far east’. 

Frankly I’d bet on that being the case

My gut feel is that the J-League getting Band 5 Work Permit status (along with a few other countries) has driven a larger list of countries in Gilhespy’s dataset to start filtering player profiles against.

I jokingly sent a few WhatsApp messages into the OSIB group the other night showing that if you filter under-25 wingers with good assists and crosses, Yu Hirakawa comes out right near the top of J-League.  If you do the same with forwards who receive a lot of long passes, make a lot of aerial challenges and have a decent goals per 90 you find Fally Mayulu near the top of Austrian Bundesliga too.  Of course you still do lots more due diligence than that.  But the start of that talent id process is pretty crude.

But I also don’t disagree that SL might think - ooooh, Japan, exotic, gimme, gimme, gimme some Yen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cidre Monita said:

In fairness, if you look at it in terms of replacing players in the equivalent positions from last year's squad, then he only need to be better than Mebude to be an upgrade for the squad.

I see it as "we'd like a winger but we need an attacking midfielder and striker more so let's get a cheap winger with bigger potential upside as a calculated risk".

As long as the attacking midfielder and strikers we bring in do their jobs then I've no worries about taking a risk on the position it was arguably less essential to bring in, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

exactly! 

City shop in markets that they can afford at home and abroad. All this shop in the bargain basement nonsense is utter rubbish. Go ask the gas where the bargain basement is and what it’s like!!

But without a doubt the club are looking for a gem and have found the likes of Scott, Semenyo, Brownhill etc etc etc in the past. 

So far the current regime haven’t found one we can point to but, I’m sure Mr Tinnion would point to his track record and influence in previous purchases. 

If we want to shop at a better level then we have to increase revenue, that is just a simple fact. FFP sees to that. 

I liked the comment up the thread about overseas exposure particularly in Asia. You have to look to Leicester to see what can happen. 

Hopefully the kid will be the next <insert player name here> and the risk will be justified, but you calculate your risk and in those terms the kid from Rapid Vienna is a much greater one!!

Just for context AD had to shop at these levels to build a team and so did Pearson. Let’s be thankful Jon has persuaded dad to cover our losses while the club risk the money that the player tracking team think are worth the punt!

Reference last paragraph, AD only spent big money before promotion on one player - £30,000 for the return home of Paul Cheesley. All the others were bargain buys.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Reference last paragraph, AD only spent big money before promotion on one player - £30,000 for the return home of Paul Cheesley. All the others were bargain buys.

That was a relative bargain given how good Cheesley was.

Sadly played his final game a season or two before I was old enough to be allowed to watch City.

Even at my young age I recall the local news talking about his comeback attempts.

Was £30k big transfer money to pay in the 2nd Div back then? If not, was it a lot for City to pay?

I’m up in departures at Bristol airport now and Tinnion is here also, on his own.

Do I go and ask him a few questions or respect his privacy??

No idea where he’s off to - I take it the squad are off to Portugal for a training camp so maybe he’s going there?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My gut feel is that the J-League getting Band 5 Work Permit status (along with a few other countries) has driven a larger list of countries in Gilhespy’s dataset to start filtering player profiles against.

I jokingly sent a few WhatsApp messages into the OSIB group the other night showing that if you filter under-25 wingers with good assists and crosses, Yu Hirakawa comes out right near the top of J-League.  If you do the same with forwards who receive a lot of long passes, make a lot of aerial challenges and have a decent goals per 90 you find Fally Mayulu near the top of Austrian Bundesliga too.  Of course you still do lots more due diligence than that.  But the start of that talent id process is pretty crude.

But I also don’t disagree that SL might think - ooooh, Japan, exotic, gimme, gimme, gimme some Yen.

That’s pretty much how LJ described finding Ellisson.

• Like 1

Just now, INCRED said:

I’m up in departures at Bristol airport now and Tinnion is here also, on his own.

No idea where he’s off to - I take it the squad are off to Portugal for a training camp so maybe he’s going there?

He’s a bit early if he’s there to fly out to the training. However, we now know Tinnion isn’t great with his times and dates.

• Haha 2

Just now, Henry said:

He’s a bit early if he’s there to fly out to the training. However, we now know Tinnion isn’t great with his times and dates.

Just having a Starbucks 

B7434AB9-FBA6-4C95-BA91-A382AA1FC04F.png

6 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Not much point in asking him for Information, but if you do add a couple of months onto his timescales before coming back to us

• Haha 1

• Admin
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, SDBS36 said:

Should be in arrivals waiting the inbound flight, maybe from Paris or Amsterdam 

Edited by Ian M
Just being stupid

16 minutes ago, Ian M said:
22 minutes ago, SDBS36 said:

Should be in arrivals waiting the inbound flight, maybe from Paris or Amsterdam 

Edited 1 minute ago by Ian M
Just being stupid

No problem so was I

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pugofwar said:

It is hilarious isn’t it. And about the age, don’t they go to like uni first and turn professional after like in the US? Mitoma I am sure Mitoma did not become professional until like 22 and then was a hit. 

It may or may not work out but give them a chance to identify talent before we write players off. 

• Like 8