IGNORED

Willow Gardens to close

Part of my childhood going, Willow Garden gone the same was as Kwans at the other end of North Street. Kwans was our "night out chippy" partly because it was opposite the Rex (ABC) cinema and partly because they did "scrumps" for free. 

But Willow Garden was Chinese at home in front of the telly or listening to music with your mates.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Part of my childhood going, Willow Garden gone the same was as Kwans at the other end of North Street. Kwans was our "night out chippy" partly because it was opposite the Rex (ABC) cinema and partly because they did "scrumps" for free. 

But Willow Garden was Chinese at home in front of the telly or listening to music with your mates.

Kwans was amazing, Willow Garden was the closest to my house and was really good, there was a place behind Victoria Park School called Yee Wah that did the same chips as Kwans, there was Ashton Drive, The Magnet. If it wasn’t for playing football I’d have been 15 stone by the time I hit my 20s. 

Gutted to hear about Willow Garden, I loved the fact you could see them cooking the food. The first time I used a Chinese in North Bristol it was just a counter and I heard a microwave ping 2 minutes after I ordered. Never a good sign.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, kingswood red said:

Bad news, used it every night game. Lovely people.

100%.

Decent chippy, as you say, lovely people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Scrumps - batter bits?

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Kwans was amazing, Willow Garden was the closest to my house and was really good, there was a place behind Victoria Park School called Yee Wah that did the same chips as Kwans, there was Ashton Drive, The Magnet. If it wasn’t for playing football I’d have been 15 stone by the time I hit my 20s. 

Gutted to hear about Willow Garden, I loved the fact you could see them cooking the food. The first time I used a Chinese in North Bristol it was just a counter and I heard a microwave ping 2 minutes after I ordered. Never a good sign.

Yes Wah sold the best chicken fried rice around, gutted when it closed

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I went to school with the twins in the chippy on windmill hill that was good in those days the curry Source was a winner 

Best Chinese curry around at the time.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Tony283 said:

Hello everyone! 

It's Tony from Willow Garden. I just want to thank every one of you who came in the shop through the years. Me and mum always look forward to match days especially evening weekday matches. Without matchday business we would have thought of different ways on how to operate Willow Garden.

I never expect to see the forum post a story from Bristol Live (Would have been lovely if thet asked us whether they can publish this story..... That's another matter)! I will miss the laughs I always have with you lot because it's what kept me sane when we are hitting the peak period during trade. The only regret we all had was not experiencing premier league trade and only had a glimpse of it via cup matches. 

If you lot have questions just ask away and I'll try and answer them asap!

Tony 

From a customers point of view, always great food but an even nicer welcome 

What's happening with the business? 

Is anyone else interested in taking it on 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phantom said:

From a customers point of view, always great food but an even nicer welcome 

What's happening with the business? 

Is anyone else interested in taking it on 

We have leased out the shop to someone else. Whether they carry on with the business is another question.

Since coming back to the business, I always try to improve customer rapport and glad to know this has not gone unnoticed.

I feel a bit guilty not telling our football fans about the business. If a hand over date was set before the end of the 23/24 season I would have mentioned it to everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Always my choice of matchday chippy, either on the way to an afternoon game or an after match battered bangers and chips for the walk home after an evening game.

Not a regular customer apart from City games but always recognised, and treated as a regular with the smiling lady, remarkably, remembering what I always had.

It will certainly be missed - a top notch chippy with very friendly service.

• Like 8

On 02/07/2024 at 17:05, Oh Louie louie said:

Two chippys did crinkle cut chips in BS3, weans and another good lost chippy raymend rd

my old man and I had the newsagents in Raymend Road next to the chinese, source of many a good nights supper in the early 80's.

35 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

my old man and I had the newsagents in Raymend Road next to the chinese, source of many a good nights supper in the early 80's.

Yee Wah did the best chicken fried rice around, gutted when it closed

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Crinkle cut chips 😎

• Thanks 1

On 02/07/2024 at 17:05, Oh Louie louie said:

Two chippys did crinkle cut chips in BS3, weans and another good lost chippy raymend rd

Memory unlocked. Those crinkle cut chippies from the gaff on Raymend road were unrivalled.

• Like 1