IGNORED

First Fixture Moves Due To Sky

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

12:30 Saturday kick offs and Sunday games both absolutely dreadful.

Look on the bright side. With a 12.30 Saturday ko, it gets in the way of lunch, which means there’s only one thing to do. Get a pie from the Clarks pie van outside the ground. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 95red said:

Another mediocre  season might just see me off. Down there since I was 9 ,45yrs on sky greed probably  gonna take its toll this year . Absolute  shite .

I could be joining you, 53 years and they don’t give a shite about the fans.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 95red said:

Another mediocre  season might just see me off. Down there since I was 9 ,45yrs on sky greed probably  gonna take its toll this year . Absolute  shite .

I can see the local non league teams getting more support. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, 95red said:

Pretty much the same for me, hopefully by the end of the season there will be some genuine reasons for wanting to sign up again, but with all of this television coverage at the expense of the 3pm kick off it does make you want to revisit the 3pm blackout.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It could be worse, at least there are no Thursday night or Monday night slots for us.

I actually wouldn't mind a Monday night bugger all else to do!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Yep.  Well said.  No one cares about that anymore though.   See Bristol Sport moving the biggest rugby game of the season to Cardiff as an example! 

What was the reaction from the rugger fans?  Didn’t see a thread on here, but this is a football forum.  For or against it?

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It could be worse, at least there are no Thursday night or Monday night slots for us.

Would prefer Thursday nights to Sundays tbh. But both shite! 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

What was the reaction from the rugger fans?  Didn’t see a thread on here, but this is a football forum.  For or against it?

I only  go on Instagram so not a huge amount of comments on it but those that are there aren’t that positive.  Comments about giving up home advantage, 100 mile round trips for best game of the season and how it affects local business.  Not sure about the wider community tbh.  Maybe different on Twitter / FB etc.   

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very negative from what I’ve read and heard. Not like it’s round the corner like when Harlequins use Twickenham. The Transport is also crap. Also know a few season ticket holder from the Lansdown who were a bit annoyed that anyone from any area of the ground could all book decent seats in Cardiff with no priority to people that pay hundreds more a season to sit on the half way line etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lenred said:

Would prefer Thursday nights to Sundays tbh. But both shite! 

Monday night slots are rare however Thursday in some ways is the new Friday so they say..

Sundays and Saturday lunchtime are jointly (IMO) the worst without doubt, Monday night is a hassle.

I see Derby v Leeds is 5.45pm on a Sunday which is perhaps the worst I've seen yet!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 95red said:

One of the Main reasons I didn’t renew this season & I’m glad I didn’t now. 

• Like 3

12:30 ko times are a nightmare if you’ve got kids that play football. My girl plays Saturday and Sunday mornings so we are going to miss a fair few city games this season . ****ing sky 👎

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Redshorts said:

According to the local Boro paper, our game next Feb has been moved as well to a Friday evening. 

Screenshot_20240730-220909.png

I noticed that at the end of the City article. It’s not til Feb, so presumably not a Sky issue. I don’t know why we’ve had to move that one? Bet the Boro fans are thrilled. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

I'd prefer 5pm games to 12:30

I hate 12:30 kick offs

I don't think many people like the 12:30. Sort of buggers up the day really.

With the 15:00 - Cafe at 12 for a Full English then straight to the pub for a few beers (sometimes more than a few :laugh:)

After the match a few more beers then off for a Ruby Murray.

I also think the Atmosphere will suffer with the 12:30 Kick offs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One of my best mates is a huge Bears fan an despite being a 20/20 member can’t get seats at the Millennium alongside his rugger buddies.

Hes not a happy bunny.

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I don't think many people like the 12:30. Sort of buggers up the day really.

With the 15:00 - Cafe at 12 for a Full English then straight to the pub for a few beers (sometimes more than a few :laugh:)

After the match a few more beers then off for a Ruby Murray.

I absolutely despise lunchtime kickoffs, but I guess it’s now the world we’re in. 

16 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Generally does, albeit Cardiff at Home in 2022 was fine on a Sunday lunchtime.

That isn't to say that I like lunchtime kick-offs- far from it!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I noticed that at the end of the City article. It’s not til Feb, so presumably not a Sky issue. I don’t know why we’ve had to move that one? Bet the Boro fans are thrilled. 

Rugby clash???

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How ironic, we are even midtableish for that.

I’m interested as the season pans out how many home games get moved versus away games.  6-3 at the mo.  Preston another mid-table nobody are 6-2, and Stoke are 6-3, same as us.

Are we an “easy club” for Sky to move our home games?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m interested as the season pans out how many home games get moved versus away games.  6-3 at the mo.  Preston another mid-table nobody are 6-2, and Stoke are 6-3, same as us.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Seems so, 6-3.

I'd be intrigued to know ST sales across the division after a year of this, it's absolute chaos and mid Janaury to May there is the possibility of the odd Thursday to Monday game too which we ourselves haven't yet had the dubious privilege of.

Whilst I appreciate “first world problems” and all that, from a hospitality stand point the 12.30 KOs are shite. As you need to rush down early doors to get your pre game breakfast rather than the relaxed 3 course dinner you’d get from a 3pm KO. Perhaps a few have already thought that and that’s why a number of boxes are currently available from last year. 

We've got 20 league games post 6/1/2025.

We are going to be on Sky 20 times in total (assumed min), less 9 definites pre 7/1/2025.

Not sure the 9 includes our Carabao cup tie, but assuming it doesn't, that's going to mean 10 out of the final 20 league games are going to be on Sky.

Since the final games are broadcast, we've another 9 game moves to look forward to.

3 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Maybe just making up the numbers ?

That's the way they do it. We'll make the proper channels against the big teams, then suffer make up games on Sky Sports plus against teams none of us are looking forward to watching!

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Loads of complaints on Twitter from fans from all leagues. People are really pissed off.

Football is in the process of eating itself. VAR has set the ball rolling, this TV deal could push a lot of people over the edge. 

Can see season ticket sales across the leagues being massively down over the next few years, when people get fed up of not seeing their team at 3pm on a Saturday. The clubs have got that coming. 

Hopefully when this happens it will force a rethink and the next TV deal won’t be as detrimental to the fans. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Football is in the process of eating itself. VAR has set the ball rolling, this TV deal could push a lot of people over the edge. 

Can see season ticket sales across the leagues being massively down over the next few years, when people get fed up of not seeing their team at 3pm on a Saturday. The clubs have got that coming. 

Hopefully when this happens it will force a rethink and the next TV deal won’t be as detrimental to the fans. 

Yes my thoughts exactly. Plus the shite about playing domestic games abroad. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bearded_red said:

12:30 Saturday kick offs and Sunday games both absolutely dreadful.

Atmosphere at Games are always so flat at this time . Kills the atmosphere and match day experience . If they have to muck about with 3pm sat would much prefer Friday night personally.
Don’t see a long term benefit here- think it will impact attendances and possibly STs. Clubs/EFL etc couldn’t care less about match going fans. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Look on the bright side. With a 12.30 Saturday ko, it gets in the way of lunch, which means there’s only one thing to do. Get a pie from the Clarks pie van outside the ground. 

Personally I think the bright side is if we offer up the same mind numbing dross that we did last season these crap kick off times will make me much more likely to wake up Saturday morning and decide I can’t be bothered.

As we saw last season with the Swansea game, if the entertainment on offer is as low as last season the Sunday games in particular could see some dreadful crowds.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

I don’t know about yours but some or our games picked are a bid odd.

Plymouth away and Oxford home .

I mean hardly going to get people watching.

Don't think the Oxford game is live, all Bank Holiday matches are live anyway that's part of the orginal Sky EFL deal.

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

That's the way they do it. We'll make the proper channels against the big teams, then suffer make up games on Sky Sports plus against teams none of us are looking forward to watching!

After large swathes of last season we're the team none of us are looking forward to watching, aren't we?!? 🤣

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Loads of complaints on Twitter from fans from all leagues. People are really pissed off.

They can get away with this in the prem because most games sell out, season ticket holders know they are easily replaceable and there are a number of massive clubs were the vast majority of fans are TV supporters. EFL crowds were at a 70 year high so it might take a year or 2 but lots of people will vote with their feet about this and it's a bad move encouraging people to lose interest. For me the EFL should try and be different from the premier league and embrace that it's primarily for local people going out to watch live football, the TV subscription model might work if there were 72 clubs like Leeds but I kind of want it to fail here (I might be being a bit overdramatic though 😁).

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

Don't think the Oxford game is live, all Bank Holiday matches are live anyway that's part of the orginal Sky EFL deal.

Are midweek games part of the criteria of set numbers of games to be broadcast, or are these separate ?

2 minutes ago, daored said:

Are midweek games part of the criteria of set numbers of games to be broadcast, or are these separate ?

Yes all midweek games are automatically live plus all Bank Holidays and first / last day games.

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Monday night slots are rare however Thursday in some ways is the new Friday so they say..

Sundays and Saturday lunchtime are jointly (IMO) the worst without doubt, Monday night is a hassle.

I see Derby v Leeds is 5.45pm on a Sunday which is perhaps the worst I've seen yet!

Middlesbrough v Burnley is now a Sunday at 8pm. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, italian dave said:

Middlesbrough v Burnley is now a Sunday at 8pm. 

:facepalm:- Sky.

I couldn't find a wow emoji or a crazy one.

Thank you that is a new winner! You do see these kick off times in sunny parts of Europe such as Spain, Italy and France but particularly the first 2. All the same ha 8pm on a Sunday??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

I don’t know about yours but some or our games picked are a bid odd.

Plymouth away and Oxford home .

I mean hardly going to get people watching.

Many of the usual suspects for us. Cardiff, Swansea, Leeds, Burnley.

Plus Sheff Wed and QPR.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Not sure what people expected tbh.

Last season I went to something like 10 of the first 12 games. This season I will be going to 2 of the first 12.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

He's a Watford fan.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not sure what people expected tbh.

Last season I went to something like 10 of the first 12 games. This season I will be going to 2 of the first 12.

I know! I've been complaining since they announced it. To be fair so have a lot of people on Twitter.  A bloke was laughing at me for 'moaning' last week. I'm registering my discontent with the deal, or should I just remain silent and let them get away with it?

Edited by exAtyeoMax

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

I know! I've been complaining since they announced it. To be fair so have a lot of people on Twitter.  A bloke was laughing at me for 'moaning' last week. I'm registering my discontent with the deal, or could I just remain silent and let them get away with it.

Moan away. Everyone is peed off with it but it isn't anything unexpected once the deal was announced.

If attendances take a massive nose dive, maybe someone will listen.

• Like 2

I'm going to sound a little after the event here but I do recall saying back in Sping after scanning other clubs Twittet feeds and or forums that there didn't seem to be much analysis of the potential for disruption.

People across the board are pissed off but I think we are possibly a bit less surprised than others. Only basing it on snapshots mind you.

Sesson ticket sales at many Championship clubs in 2025-26, could be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm going to sound a little after the event here but I do recall saying back in Sping after scanning other clubs Twittet feeds and or forums that there didn't seem to be much analysis of the potential for disruption.

People across the board are pissed off but I think we are possibly a bit less surprised than others. Only basing it on snapshots mind you.

Sesson ticket sales at many Championship clubs in 2025-26, could be interesting.

many people don't do social media so possibly weren't aware of the impact of this deal. A lot of people genuinely don't care because they live locally or are quite happy to stay at home and watch it on the telly. Or people have had other issues affecting them so are only becoming aware of it now.

I just think the whole thing stinks

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

many people don't do social media so possibly weren't aware of the impact of this deal. A lot of people genuinely don't care because they live locally or are quite happy to stay at home and watch it on the telly. Or people have had other issues affecting them so are only becoming aware of it now.

All I'm saying is our forum (relatively speaking) seemed more in tune with the potential for disruption etc.

I agree with you btw.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think all clubs should’ve made fans aware of this in their season ticket blurb.  Said so at the time.

Think there will be a sizeable reduction in season tickets next season.

As a fake overseas RTV subscriber (vpn ahoy), I haven’t bothered this season.  For the games I watched last season £140 was good value, but as I will go to AG for home games the number of away games (max 23) that won’t be on Sky (to which I subscribe) will be single digits I reckon.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is that you spamming the EFL on Twitter! 🤣🤣🤣

oh yes! 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think all clubs should’ve made fans aware of this in their season ticket blurb.  Said so at the time.

Think there will be a sizeable reduction in season tickets next season.

As a fake overseas RTV subscriber (vpn ahoy), I haven’t bothered this season.  For the games I watched last season £140 was good value, but as I will go to AG for home games the number of away games (max 23) that won’t be on Sky (to which I subscribe) will be single digits I reckon.

Someone else on here mentioned "mis-selling a product" would be interesting if people start claiming back the cost of their season ticket or missed games because of games being moved.

I did tweet the club /EFL about compensation at the time, just to make a point really, not as a serious idea.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

oh yes! 

Someone else on here mentioned "mis-selling a product" would be interesting if people start claiming back the cost of their season ticket or missed games because of games being moved.

I did tweet the club /EFL about compensation at the time, just to make a point really, not as a serious idea.  

I think it's entirely reasonable. I've shifted work meetings, altered travel plans - both work and leisure - and turned down tickets for other events, in order to fit in with City games. 

All these things have to be planned in advance. When times are shifted with only weeks notice it is infuriating. 

• Like 4

On one positive note, we do at least now know that none of the fixtures up until start of Jan will move so that does give more certainty than previous seasons. Second half of the season is going to be a different story though. 

10 minutes ago, eardun said:

On one positive note, we do at least now know that none of the fixtures up until start of Jan will move so that does give more certainty than previous seasons. Second half of the season is going to be a different story though. 

That was undoubtedly one of the compromises that were agreed between the clubs and Sky - they can show more games, but they have to give more notice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The small caveat I would add there is, presumably Avon and Somerset are fine with the Cardiff at Home at 3pm on a Sunday and Heddlu with Swansea Away at 3pm on a Sunday?

I’d be amazed if they haven’t consulted the police before they fixed these Sept & Oct matches and put them on Sky. Of course, I’ll also be amazed if the matches v Cardiff and Swansea in Feb don’t move in the next fixture round. 

• Like 1

Just now, eardun said:

I’d be amazed if they haven’t consulted the police before they fixed these Sept & Oct matches and put them on Sky. Of course, I’ll also be amazed if the matches v Cardiff and Swansea in Feb don’t move in the next fixture round. 

Agreed but 2017 v Cardiff does stick in the mind..hopefully there is better practice now.

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think it's entirely reasonable. I've shifted work meetings, altered travel plans - both work and leisure - and turned down tickets for other events, in order to fit in with City games. 

All these things have to be planned in advance. When times are shifted with only weeks notice it is infuriating. 

The one argument in their favour now is everything is moved up to 6th January.  Before now moving games was left far too late. 

What I really am struggling with is the obsession with 12.30 on a Saturday.  Why have 7 games then but only 1 on  Friday night?  I bet you if we were given a choice we'd go for Fridays as bigger likely walk up crowd and more beer/pasties etc sold. There is a reason 3 of Bears' opening 4 league games are on a Friday.

The TV audiences are going to be minimal. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

The one argument in their favour now is everything is moved up to 6th January.  Before now moving games was left far too late. 

What I really am struggling with is the obsession with 12.30 on a Saturday.  Why have 7 games then but only 1 on  Friday night?  I bet you if we were given a choice we'd go for Fridays as bigger likely walk up crowd and more beer/pasties etc sold. There is a reason 3 of Bears' opening 4 league games are on a Friday.

Agreed. I hate early kick offs. Always a flat atmosphere. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I was joking about this in work. You see some of the fixture selections and it beggars belief that they’ll have more than a couple of thousand. For instance, the 17th has 7 games at 12:30 - who’s tuning in for Carlisle vs Barrow? 

6 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

oh yes! 

You feel there has to be a point though where what you've paid for, has been so substantially altered, that it really is no longer the original product you paid for. I know there's the usual blurb you get with the tickets about fixtures being altered on occasion, but this feels way more than that. It's not as if it's an act of god beyond the clubs control, they've wilfully entered into this. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

You feel there has to be a point though where what you've paid for, has been so substantially altered, that it really is no longer the original product you paid for. I know there's the usual blurb you get with the tickets about fixtures being altered on occasion, but this feels way more than that. It's not as if it's an act of god beyond the clubs control, they've wilfully entered into this. 

I have some sympathy for what you are saying and to be frank it can’t be lost on the club. So I’m guessing we will be seeing some more mates rates and gimmies as it may effect sales (if not promoted) next season. 

39 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I was joking about this in work. You see some of the fixture selections and it beggars belief that they’ll have more than a couple of thousand. For instance, the 17th has 7 games at 12:30 - who’s tuning in for Carlisle vs Barrow? 

Well, I get your point, but that one's a local derby, so they'll be more than their usual audiences.

On 30/07/2024 at 18:05, Super said:

I can see the local non league teams getting more support. 

Yeah can see that. I can't make Friday night games or early Saturday matches.

You can't believe how much i hate modern football.

15.00 Saturday 19.45 Tuesday is football for me.

Stuck in the past i know but it so pisses me off.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah can see that. I can't make Friday night games or early Saturday matches.

You can't believe how much i hate modern football.

15.00 Saturday 19.45 Tuesday is football for me.

Stuck in the past i know but it so pisses me off.

Modern football isn’t for the match attending fan anymore.

Its for the TV companies to make money as they please