IGNORED

First Fixture Moves Due To Sky

7 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Modern football isn’t for the match attending fan anymore.

Its for the TV companies to make money as they please 

The disregard for the attending fan is down to footballs greed. In order to maximise their income, clubs have let sky completely disrupt the game.

A foolish move in the longer term.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A little more on this, Sky coverage verbatim of Championship sides.

Presumably that includes red button too? 🤷‍♂️

Looks to me from the header that he has now added those matches when everyone on TV (first, Christmas, New Year - possibly mid week too if not already included). But yes a lot of those will be on the new Sky Sports+ service. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eardun said:

Looks to me from the header that he has now added those matches when everyone on TV (first, Christmas, New Year - possibly mid week too if not already included). But yes a lot of those will be on the new Sky Sports+ service. 

Yeah I checked ours and it stacks. Up to 13 with midweek games not specifically listed the other day.

Plymouth Away at 12.30pm isn't on Sky, neither is Middlesbrough at Home on the Friday night so those two are oddities.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah I checked ours and it stacks. Up to 13 with midweek games not specifically listed the other day.

Plymouth Away at 12.30pm isn't on Sky, neither is Middlesbrough at Home on the Friday night so those two are oddities.

Plymouth away will be on Sky Sports+ as all  matches on New Year’s Day are on Sky. Boro might yet be as Feb not announced yet. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eardun said:

Plymouth away will be on Sky Sports+ as all  matches on New Year’s Day are on Sky. Boro might yet be as Feb not announced yet. 

I forgot the New Years Day stipulation. Albeit it still doesn't fully align to the 13 listed.

I make it..on Sky or Red Button or Sky Sports +.

*Hull Away

*Coventry Home

*Swansea Away

*Sheffield Wednesday Home

*Cardiff Home

*Stoke Away

*Leeds Home

*Sheffield United Home

*Burnley Home

*Watford Away

*Sunderland Away

*QPR Home

*West Brom Away

I also don't have Sky so I'm probably a bit out of touch with that. ;)

On 30/07/2024 at 17:37, 95red said:

Another mediocre  season might just see me off. Down there since I was 9 ,45yrs on sky greed probably  gonna take its toll this year . Absolute  shite .

Same here, regular supporter since 8 years old, I'm now approaching 50. If we have a season like last year with shite football being served up, coupled with all the upheaval, I'll be close like you calling it a day.

On 31/07/2024 at 08:08, glynriley said:

Football is in the process of eating itself. VAR has set the ball rolling, this TV deal could push a lot of people over the edge. 

Can see season ticket sales across the leagues being massively down over the next few years, when people get fed up of not seeing their team at 3pm on a Saturday. The clubs have got that coming. 

Hopefully when this happens it will force a rethink and the next TV deal won’t be as detrimental to the fans. 

Imo the EFL and clubs are taking a massive gamble, don't think they really understand how massive!

With prem  football its a lot more free flowing and attacking with plastic tourists wanting to experience the atmosphere of a full stadium.

On the other hand you have the EFL with mostly fairly boring turgid football. If the fan attendance really starts to drop off can you imagine watching that on TV with half empty stadiums and basically no atmosphere. Ain't gonna take long for the deal to go pear shaped, sky pull the plug and then the clubs are in the shit trying to win back there core support base.

Basically they could be losing out in the long run and a lot more clubs will be going to the wall. Something the regulator and government will take a very dim view of, which could help for a football reset in the long-term.

On 31/07/2024 at 11:13, exAtyeoMax said:

oh yes! 

Someone else on here mentioned "mis-selling a product" would be interesting if people start claiming back the cost of their season ticket or missed games because of games being moved.

I did tweet the club /EFL about compensation at the time, just to make a point really, not as a serious idea.  

Thing is with this it's very difficult to hold clubs or the EFL to account because I can't imagine you would be able to launch a class action lawsuit or such. Would be interesting for someone to post the legal standpoint on this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McNasty Filth said:

Thing is with this it's very difficult to hold clubs or the EFL to account because I can't imagine you would be able to launch a class action lawsuit or such. Would be interesting for someone to post the legal standpoint on this.

It might be a question for Kieran Maguire and the secret lawyer.

38 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It might be a question for Kieran Maguire and the secret lawyer.

Can imagine he's already been asked this to be honest. Can almost certainly say that fans of prem clubs have already looked into this and decided it's a non-starter.

4 minutes ago, McNasty Filth said:

Can imagine he's already been asked this to be honest. Can almost certainly say that fans of prem clubs have already looked into this and decided it's a non-starter.

Yes but this is different. People were sold a ST and now the fixtures have changed quite dramatically in some instances. 

46 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes but this is different. People were sold a ST and now the fixtures have changed quite dramatically in some instances. 

But you bought a season ticket in the full knowledge that a large proportion of our games would be moved.

Sky deal was announced last spring.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

But you bought a season ticket in the full knowledge that a large proportion of our games would be moved.

Totally agree been talking about this with friends family etc for ages and guys around me in the stand last April..

I actually thought games would be spread around even more not just predominantly 12.30 Saturdays.

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

The new fixtures weren't announced until afterwards. It wasn't specified just how dramatic fixture rearrangement would be, that 'weekend' could include Monday and Thursdays. 

I'm not even really thinking of myself, people on Twitter are constantly try to make me out to be selfish and self entitled. I'm thinking of the normal everyday fan who has to travel 600 miles for a game, kids who can't go because it is a school night. I'm not just talking about myself, many fans from the other leagues and other clubs are really annoyed.

I was threatened by the club that I would lose my seat in the SS if I didn't renew, I had to weigh up the possibility that I couldn't attend most games because of early KOs or Weekday night games. Even a 20:00 KO could cause problems because of trains etc. People have a right to be annoyed. 

• Like 2

Had a quick look at a few clubs.

Between now and Saturday January 4th, we have a mere 4 which are scheduled to kick off at 3pm on a Saturday out of 9 possible. Christmas Period I'm discounting. Midweek, I'm discounting.

Millwall, Oxford, Plymouth and Derby.

We seem to be one of the worst served in the division from this angle.

2 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

Totally agree been talking about this with friends family etc for ages and guys around me in the stand last April..

I actually thought games would be spread around even more not just predominantly 12.30 Saturdays.

We were talking about it last April. We didn't know what time or day the new fixtures would be

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

The new fixtures weren't announced until afterwards. It wasn't specified just how dramatic fixture rearrangement would be, that 'weekend' could include Monday and Thursdays. 

I'm not even really thinking of myself, people on Twitter are constantly try to make me out to be selfish and self entitled. I'm thinking of the normal everyday fan who has to travel 600 miles for a game, kids who can't go because it is a school night. I'm not just talking about myself, many fans from the other leagues and other clubs are really annoyed.

I was threatened by the club that I would lose my seat in the SS if I didn't renew, I had to weigh up the possibility that I couldn't attend most games because of early KOs or Weekday night games. Even a 20:00 KO could cause problems because of trains etc. People have a right to be annoyed. 

The number of games to be allocated to each team was mentioned as were the days of the matches. I don't remember Thursdays being mentioned but it was always going to be spread from Friday to Monday.

On the sister thread to this Davefevs worked out, that we would be lucky to have 9 home games on a Saturday 3pm. I think that was posted May time.

It really is no surprise the amount of games moved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

The number of games to be allocated to each team was mentioned as were the days of the matches. I don't remember Thursdays being mentioned but it was always going to be spread from Friday to Monday.

On the sister thread to this Davefevs worked out, that we would be lucky to have 9 home games on a Saturday 3pm. I think that was posted May time.

Who said it was a surprise? I mentioned before that I queried it with the club at the time that Sts were released, they didn't didn't mention anything about changing fixtures.

No it's not but it should have been relayed more clearly by the club that weekends have now become weeknights. I bought my ST on 21st April

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Re your third paragraph. I too had a ST in the South Stand. As a consequence of the dire football AND Sky impending fixture chaos, I gave up my seat to see how it all pans out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Re your third paragraph. I too had a ST in the South Stand. As a consequence of the dire football AND Sky impending fixture chaos, I gave up my seat to see how it all pans out.

I don't want to sit on the sides. I mean, this could be my last season as a STH. I was so pissed off with the dire football etc, I nearly didn't renew. I'll just see how this season goes, with all the fixture changes as well

23 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Who said it was a surprise? I mentioned before that I queried it with the club at the time that Sts were released, they didn't didn't mention anything about changing fixtures.

No it's not but it should have been relayed more clearly by the club that weekends have now become weeknights. I bought my ST on 21st April

I'm not sure the agreement was announced until about 20 May 2024. At least that's when sky posted this

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/21564/12873679/sky-sports-agrees-new-five-year-efl-deal-over-1000-matches-per-season

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'm not sure the agreement was announced until about 20 May 2024. At least that's when sky posted this

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/21564/12873679/sky-sports-agrees-new-five-year-efl-deal-over-1000-matches-per-season

I hope Gary Owers is still on Radio Bristol, I'm not paying twice to watch a game 

51 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

That's fair enough, I too was aware of the fixture changes, but I'm talking about the many many people that don't do socials or interweb aka some friends at work didn't have a clue what I was talking about and we're appreciative that I'd mentioned it.

When you are selling a product you have to clearly state in said products t&c's the terms of the contract and what the customer is agreeing to.

Didn't or haven't read the small print, but can imagine it clearly states the club has a right to move fixtures within a certain time limit etc etc etc!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think Burnley have at least one on a Thursday. I'll check the Sky picks again however.

Yes I think only one game on a Thurs in the Championship so far (WBA v Burnley) if you don’t count Boxing Day. League 2 seems to have most of the Thurs slots (4). League One has 1. (Assuming I spotted them all)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, McNasty Filth said:

That's fair enough, I too was aware of the fixture changes, but I'm talking about the many many people that don't do socials or interweb aka some friends at work didn't have a clue what I was talking about and we're appreciative that I'd mentioned it.

When you are selling a product you have to clearly state in said products t&c's the terms of the contract and what the customer is agreeing to.

Didn't or haven't read the small print, but can imagine it clearly states the club has a right to move fixtures within a certain time limit etc etc etc!

There's a thing called newspapers. It was certainly covered in the one I get. Or do these people still rely on the town Cryer.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don't want to sit on the sides. I mean, this could be my last season as a STH. I was so pissed off with the dire football etc, I nearly didn't renew. I'll just see how this season goes, with all the fixture changes as well

Fair enough. I thought I would hang fire until half season tickets go on sale. So far it's a no but then if the football is actually entertaining then I may bite the bullet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

There's a thing called newspapers. It was certainly covered in the one I get. Or do these people still rely on the town Cryer.

people don't buy newspapers anymore. The club really should've been more proactive but given their usual comms, I'm not surprised.

• Like 1

Probably part of the reason they decided to stop selling new season tickets in the South Stand to open it up to pay on the day. They will have predicted (like we did) that season ticket holders would be missing more matches this season due to fixture moves - so they are hoping the seats are taken by pay on the day fans. 

• Like 1

The Sky deal in terms of mass coverage was announced in May 2023.

The detail probably came out in dribs and drabs later.

https://efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-announces-landmark-broadcasting-deal-with-sky-sports/

https://efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-and-sky-sports-broadcast-rights-agreement/

It clearly states in the 2nd article that 7 Championship games per week will remain at 3pm on a Saturday..will be interested to see how it matches up with the reality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Sky deal in terms of mass coverage was announced in May 2023.

The detail probably came out in dribs and drabs later.

https://efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-announces-landmark-broadcasting-deal-with-sky-sports/

https://efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-and-sky-sports-broadcast-rights-agreement/

It clearly states in the 2nd article that 7 Championship games per week will remain at 3pm on a Saturday..will be interested to see how it matches up with the reality.

It will do, it’s a contract.  If clubs move them themselves, e.g. rugby sharing or cup fixtures meaning enough gap, that’s nothing to do with Sky.

This season there will be 335 instead of 328 televised games because of the way the bank holidays fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As for City specifc..I'm onky just checking these quickly now.

**Out of 9 Possible Saturday 3pm Home Slots we have at Home up to and including Derby at Home Saturday 4th January 2024.

**Out of Possible Saturday 3pm Away Slots we have Away up to and including Plymouth Away on New Year's Day.

**- Disclaimer. Sunday 29th December 2024 v Portsmouth is a Christmas Period so I'm not including it for this. Thursday 26th December 2024 is Boxing Day and Wednesday 1st January 2025 is New Year's Day. Those are immaterial.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

As for City specifc..I'm onky just checking these quickly now.

**Out of 9 Possible Saturday 3pm Home Slots we have at Home up to and including Derby at Home Saturday 4th January 2024.

**Out of Possible Saturday 3pm Away Slots we have Away up to and including Plymouth Away on New Year's Day.

**- Disclaimer. Sunday 29th December 2024 v Portsmouth is a Christmas Period so I'm not including it for this. Thursday 26th December 2024 is Boxing Day and Wednesday 1st January 2025 is New Year's Day. Those are immaterial.

yes and Plymouth on NYD is 12:30pm KO, which is handy

• Like 1

Bear in mind too that post Saturday 4th January 2024...

*Swansea at Home will not be at 3pm on a Saturday be it Police, TV or both.

*Middlesbrough at Home is on a Friday night.

*Easter Home Game even if 3pm will almost certainly be on Good Friday.

*Last day of the season 3pm although at Home..won't be 3pm I wouldn't have thought 

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Screenshot_20240801-180433_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6389aeadf073da44f295a3c7d0c262b7.jpg

Then the Middlesbrough Home Game is pretty odd..maybe Sky or maybe not.

Is there any major event in Bristol that weekend?

Screenshot_20240801-180601_Chrome.thumb.jpg.767cd5a728e85f99dcd16fa8363323e9.jpg

Perhaps they’ve had the offer of a large function at Ashton Gate on Sat 22 Feb. There is the six nations that day (Wales & England at home) but don’t see why that would have a bearing. 

Edited by eardun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

To be fair on the crest of a wave that my eldest is keen to start attending, I bought a couple of season cards. Should’ve paid attention to the fixture plans prior 🤦🏽‍♂️

On the Sky moves and STs, when the season tickets were announced I had this discussion with Jerry. Non internet savvy fans may not have seen the deal and known the volume of fixture moves (although I acknowledge it may have been in papers and on Sky I can’t think the negative impact would have been stated). 

There was a real opportunity here to do something good for the fans and great in terms of PR. It’s a shame it wasn’t taken.

IMG_3536.jpeg

IMG_3537.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eardun said:

Perhaps they’ve had the offer of a large function at Ashton Gate on Sat 22 Feb. There is the six nations that day (Wales & England at home) but don’t see why that would have a bearing. 

Looks like it’s been moved to accommodate England A on the Sunday.  As it’s an international I presume they need to be able to see the pitch / facilities and train etc the day before………

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

On the Sky moves and STs, when the season tickets were announced I had this discussion with Jerry. Non internet savvy fans may not have seen the deal and known the volume of fixture moves (although I acknowledge it may have been in papers and on Sky I can’t think the negative impact would have been stated). 

There was a real opportunity here to do something good for the fans and great in terms of PR. It’s a shame it wasn’t taken.

IMG_3536.jpeg

IMG_3537.jpeg

I tweeted the club too, asking them to spell out the tv deal.

• Like 1

https://www.thetimes.com/business-money/companies/article/skys-efl-deal-is-shaking-up-football-will-fans-opt-for-tv-or-terrace-n2njjwr57

Will be interesting to see through the Season.

Albeit a Coventry fan replied when Maguire shared the article that they've had for them Record Season Ticket Sales but Exception v Rule? Plus they look on an upward trajectory which helps.

• Thanks 1

Would also add to this. Birmingham I can't stand them but they've reportedly sold some 18,000 season tickets post Relegation albeit dunno whether League One is quite so disrupted by this deal.

50%+ increase on 2023-24.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.thetimes.com/business-money/companies/article/skys-efl-deal-is-shaking-up-football-will-fans-opt-for-tv-or-terrace-n2njjwr57

Will be interesting to see through the Season.

Albeit a Coventry fan replied when Maguire shared the article that they've had for them Record Season Ticket Sales but Exception v Rule? Plus they look on an upward trajectory which helps.

It will be interesting to see the impact. In a way I am surprised the league cup was included in the tv deal - every match shown. The early rounds of that have always been played in front of small crowds so you’d expect that to be even worse this season. Probably one man and a dog for our match v Coventry, especially as we play Coventry in the league less than two weeks later with that match also on TV. We’ll see though. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eardun said:

It will be interesting to see the impact. In a way I am surprised the league cup was included in the tv deal - every match shown. The early rounds of that have always been played in front of small crowds so you’d expect that to be even worse this season. Probably one man and a dog for our match v Coventry, especially as we play Coventry in the league less than two weeks later with that match also on TV. We’ll see though. 

Yeah that is unfortunate to be playing them twice so soon. A local derby could've been good and offset some of the TV stuff- let alone a Bristol derby.

• Like 1

We've stood still, by and large, so long now, that previously dreary clubs with apathetic support, and subject to appalling ownership, are now rising phoenix-like and outstripping us for season tickets and attendances, and play off attempts, and looking rather more exciting and appealing than ourselves. Coventry have the appearance of a club "going somewhere," and their crowd getting on board.

But we plough on ....