IGNORED

I'm sure Scotland are happy

BS3_RED

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

It’s how they feel though. They are essentially the international version of the gas. The narrative up there at the moment is that they’ve got a moral victory over England because they took thousands of fans, behaved better than the English and the Germans loved them more than us. Sound familiar?

You take the high road, we'll take the low road, and we'll be in the final before ye.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

It’s how they feel though. They are essentially the international version of the gas. The narrative up there at the moment is that they’ve got a moral victory over England because they took thousands of fans, behaved better than the English and the Germans loved them more than us. Sound familiar?

All of which is bollocks by the way, they took less than us and they were no better or worse behaved than us. They might be "loved by the Germans" but who really cares about that.

Did spot a guy in a Rangers shirt behind Pickfords goal in the first half, and a Scotland flag to the side of the goal down their end

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Did spot a guy in a Rangers shirt behind Pickfords goal in the first half, and a Scotland flag to the side of the goal down their end

Aren't Rangers fans generally ok with England?

I say this because when in the mob we visited Ardrossan and the  area, a Scottish guy said...It's a Rangers area...you'll be fine up there.  And we were.

Great people.

Edited by 42nite
  • Like 8

I work with a few savages and while they love to give us a bit of stick they don't actually hate us or wish Ill on the England team.

Their angst was aimed at the '80s & '90s arrogance and entitlement which, by their admission has largely disappeared from most English supporters now.

We're a more humble bunch these days!! 😁 😁 

To gauge the thoughts on Scotland, just had a look at the Scottish Sun. Nothing about the game in the main news, even in the sport headlines it only makes it many stories down the list below nothing events such as club friendlies and stadium news.

The strength of bitterness is 10/10. Never a penalty apparently, biggest con job since 1966 when the ball never crossed the line. If you enjoy this sort of thing, I highly recommend it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You can bet loads of them,(not all) will watch the final,desperate for us to lose,then if we do celebrate like they have won the whole tournament, completely ignoring the fact that we made the final and they may as well not have bothered getting their passports stamped. No Scotland,no,party indeed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

To gauge the thoughts on Scotland, just had a look at the Scottish Sun. Nothing about the game in the main news, even in the sport headlines it only makes it many stories down the list below nothing events such as club friendlies and stadium news.

The strength of bitterness is 10/10. Never a penalty apparently, biggest con job since 1966 when the ball never crossed the line. If you enjoy this sort of thing, I highly recommend it!

Everyone in England agrees with everything in The Sun, so by extension I see no reason why this Gas Logic shouldn't be true.

8 hours ago, 42nite said:

Aren't Rangers fans generally ok with England?

I say this because when in the mob we visited Ardrossan and the  area, a Scottish guy said...It's a Rangers area...you'll be fine up there.  And we were.

Great people.

Well he was in the Dutch end, but that could have just been bad luck i suppose!

Im 30 this year and the first international tournament I remember is the 2002 World Cup. 2021 was the first tournament I can remember that Scotland qualified for. That's a whole generation that had decades of trying to get invested in every tournament. The easiest thing is a bit of 'anyone but England'.

The Scots don't hate us. They just like watching us lose. I have a few friends who support Rovers. I don't hate them  but I enjoy watching them lose. 

• Like 2

I was out in Germany and watched England Slovakia with a bunch of Scots.  They were lovely, a real laugh and they certainly didn’t hate the English even if they were cheering for Slovakia. In their own words “we love the English, we just hate the Tories”.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

I was out in Germany and watched England Slovakia with a bunch of Scots.  They were lovely, a real laugh and they certainly didn’t hate the English even if they were cheering for Slovakia. In their own words “we love the English, we just hate the Tories”.  

Please stop posting rational truth you'll upset the haters!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Well I love Scotland, love the people, culture, everything really. Wish we had a UK team that we could all support together, in unison.

I strongly agree about Scotland, love the culture and the place, in particular the sight and sounds of a military parade with bagpipes, it raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

The issue I have is why they hate us so much when we love them so much. Hence all the jokes, they aren't aimed at Scotland, just the England haters in Scotland.

• Like 1

In the unlikely event of a Bank Holiday being granted with an England win; will this *** be insisting that Scottish people should go to work as usual ?

After all, I can’t see just England being given the day off and not the whole of the UK, imagine the bitching ?

Typical Celtic fan. Tosser.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

The issue I have is why they hate us so much when we love them so much. Hence all the jokes, they aren't aimed at Scotland, just the England haters in Scotland.

Do "they" hate "us"? If any do then I've never met them.

Even if some of them do hate me for my blood, I love them and their part of the country. And I'll keep drinking their whisky as well!

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Even if some of them do hate me for my blood, I love them and their part of the country. And I'll keep drinking their whisky as well!

Well, if you saw the last friendly between Scotland and England last autumn (?) and witnessed the reaction to our national anthem, yes there is an element of hate in their sports fans at least. So 'they' isn't the whole country, just a small part of them.

My sister lived in Edinburgh for 2 years, enough time to see how some Scots talked during the rugby 6N and football tournaments. It changed her perspective and believe me she is a very balanced, intelligent individual.

My father went to the rugby world cup final v Australia at Twickenham and saw Scottish players at the game wearing Aussie shirts.

Of course, some of this is banter, but then if so they should expect some banter back. It is where to draw the line.

• Like 2

I strongly agree about Scotland, love the culture and the place, in particular the sight and sounds of a military parade with bagpipes, it raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

We do ?

22 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

You cannot say of the SCOTCH that they do not go deep into these tournaments - they're going deeper and longer than anyone can ever remember, before they get the result they crave ...

The SCOTCH :laugh: they will love you.

Edited by pillred

Well, if you saw the last friendly between Scotland and England last autumn (?) and witnessed the reaction to our national anthem, yes there is an element of hate in their sports fans at least. So 'they' isn't the whole country, just a small part of them.

My sister lived in Edinburgh for 2 years, enough time to see how some Scots talked during the rugby 6N and football tournaments. It changed her perspective and believe me she is a very balanced, intelligent individual.

My father went to the rugby world cup final v Australia at Twickenham and saw Scottish players at the game wearing Aussie shirts.

Of course, some of this is banter, but then if so they should expect some banter back. It is where to draw the line.

I understand some have had different experiences to mine. But equally I've watched England v Scotland in a busy bar where there were fans of both teams. It all went off fine, no one booed any anthems or took the piss (or pish), English and Scottish bought each other drinks, all good fun. Like you, my sister lived in Edinburgh for years and had a great time, she went to Murrayfield for the rugby on a few occasions, she really got into it all (although she detests bagpipes). You talk about six nations...but what about Lions tours? I've had glorious days watching the Lions in pubs with fans from all across the UK, far better than any six nations game. 

My view is that we've got far more in common than in division. From abroad you look back on this country and laugh at how two groups of people living in the same country on the same small island bicker and fight amongst themselves.

Well my experience of Glasgow was mostly pubs were one teams or the others. Possibly to stop them bickering and fighting amongst themselves. Lets be honest here if you went in a Celtic bar and started cheering for England how would that go? All be friendly buying drinks and shaking your hand, I very much doubt that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I understand some have had different experiences to mine. But equally I've watched England v Scotland in a busy bar where there were fans of both teams. It all went off fine, no one booed any anthems or took the piss (or pish), English and Scottish bought each other drinks, all good fun. Like you, my sister lived in Edinburgh for years and had a great time, she went to Murrayfield for the rugby on a few occasions, she really got into it all (although she detests bagpipes). You talk about six nations...but what about Lions tours? I've had glorious days watching the Lions in pubs with fans from all across the UK, far better than any six nations game. 

My view is that we've got far more in common than in division. From abroad you look back on this country and laugh at how two groups of people living in the same country on the same small island bicker and fight amongst themselves.

Are you saying no other neighbouring nations 'bicker and fight'?

Germany Netherlands, Spain Portugal, etc.

There's even football matches which are not allowed to take place - Spain v Gibraltar, Russia v Ukraine, Armenia v Azerbaijan, etc

I don't think any abroad is laughing at us for telling the Scots to stop deep-frying everything and wearing dresses and the Scots hoping we lose at everything.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, grifty said:

Are you saying no other neighbouring nations 'bicker and fight'?

Germany Netherlands, Spain Portugal, etc.

There's even football matches which are not allowed to take place - Spain v Gibraltar, Russia v Ukraine, Armenia v Azerbaijan, etc

I don't think any abroad is laughing at us for telling the Scots to stop deep-frying everything and wearing dresses and the Scots hoping we lose at everything.

Yeh but all of those examples (bar Gibraltar which is BOT) are between separate actual countries aren't they, rather than two regions of the same country.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Well my experience of Glasgow was mostly pubs were one teams or the others. Possibly to stop them bickering and fighting amongst themselves. Lets be honest here if you went in a Celtic bar and started cheering for England how would that go? All be friendly buying drinks and shaking your hand, I very much doubt that

I'm in Glasgow a lot, and would suggest one half of a great city aren't as interested in the Scottish National Team, as they are in another National team, who play in green.

Plus England losing...

On 11/07/2024 at 01:31, MarcusX said:

All of which is bollocks by the way, they took less than us and they were no better or worse behaved than us. They might be "loved by the Germans" but who really cares about that.

I'm sure the Germans would love us just as much if we gifted their team 5 goals as easily as Scotland did...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Embarrassing, isn’t it?

Wales has just appointed a manager who said he hates the English & was found guilty of bullying an English player because of his nationality.

Both nations are sad & bitter when it comes to football.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It is sad and embarrassing. An example of how the existence of the "national" teams feeds unnecessary and petty division in this country.

We need to take the high road, be bigger than this, recognise that publications are doing it to whip up sales. 

And ultimately we need to work towards erasing this petty infighting and look to things like the Olympics, Lions and other UK (and Ireland in the case of the Lions) for examples of a UK team being a benefit to the entire nation.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It is sad and embarrassing. An example of how the existence of the "national" teams feeds unnecessary and petty division in this country.

We need to take the high road, be bigger than this, recognise that publications are doing it to whip up sales. 

And ultimately we need to work towards erasing this petty infighting and look to things like the Olympics, Lions and other UK (and Ireland in the case of the Lions) for examples of a UK team being a benefit to the entire nation.

Are you going to continually shoehorn this pretty isolated view, non-stop, into every single topic? You aren't gaining traction here.................

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Are you going to continually shoehorn this pretty isolated view, non-stop, into every single topic? You aren't gaining traction here.................

No. Sorry didn't think I had been. I've kept out of the general England and Euro threads. I understand that people want to enjoy things like tomorrow even if I think it's odd.

This is a thread about division, so I'd say unity is topical.

Yeh it's an isolated view, that's ok isn't it? I'm not advocating hatred or violence or anything. Quite the opposite.

I think people take this whole thing a bit too seriously….of course the Scottish, Welsh & Irish want us to lose, but i dont think they genuinely hate us (apart from a lot of the Irish perhaps). Most of the papers and social media sites, Paddy Power in particular, are very much tongue in cheek.

• Hmmm 1

23 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh but all of those examples (bar Gibraltar which is BOT) are between separate actual countries aren't they, rather than two regions of the same country.

I'm not sure the Scots consider us to be the same country.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

No. Sorry didn't think I had been. I've kept out of the general England and Euro threads. I understand that people want to enjoy things like tomorrow even if I think it's odd.

This is a thread about division, so I'd say unity is topical.

Yeh it's an isolated view, that's ok isn't it? I'm not advocating hatred or violence or anything. Quite the opposite.

What I think you are missing is a united GB team would make things worse not better in terms of reaction and division. Imagine a 26 man squad with 20 plus English players in it and ten English starters in the XI (not unrealistic either), that would be worse for the Scots in particular than England winning the Euro’s. If an Englishman picked that squad it would be 100% bias and if a Scot was in charge he would be labelled a traitor/sheep in wolfs clothing etc. etc.

On 12/07/2024 at 09:18, ExiledAjax said:

Exactly. I spent about a third of my life living and working in Scotland and it's a bit of a myth that they play up to. They don't hate us. They hate the English medias attitude that the world stops at Carlisle. 

They're fabulous, warm hearted, generous people with a very self deprecating sense of humour. I'd take them any day above the Welsh, Scousers, Brummies and majority of knuckle dragging English fans.

Edited by harvey54
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Exactly. I spent about a third of my life living and working in Scotland and it's a bit of a myth that they play up to. They don't hate us. They hate the English medias attitude that the world stops at Carlisle. 

They're fabulous, warm hearted, generous people with a very self deprecating sense of humour. I'd take them any day above the Welsh, Scousers, Brummies and majority of knuckle dragging English fans.

I'm advised many of them don't like our apparent superiority complex. I thought that was largely a myth but then again...............

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm advised many of them don't like our apparent superiority complex. I thought that was largely a myth but then again...............

It's true. I think it's the arrogance of a lot of English fans and their sense of God given right to win a game or a tournament. It's the old "it's coming home" mindset. 

Ffs that was 28 years ago 

The majority of Scottish fans weren't surprised that they didn't get out of the group stage, just disappointed at how badly they had played compared to qualifying. Good results against Spain and Norway meant that there might be a chance to progress but they never turned up. 

2 hours ago, harvey54 said:

2 hours ago, harvey54 said:

It's true. I think it's the arrogance of a lot of English fans and their sense of God given right to win a game or a tournament. It's the old "it's coming home" mindset. 

Ffs that was 28 years ago 

I hear all the time from Scottish, Welsh and Irish fans that ‘English fans think they have a divine right to win everything’. This just isn’t reality, as much as our near neighbours wish it to be the case. Ask any of the 50,000 or so England fans expected in Berlin this weekend and most would say they didn’t honestly expect us to get to the final when the tournament started 4 weeks ago. The guys and girls who travel far and wide watching England know only too well our limitations, and generally travel in hope rather than expectation (I certainly do). 

The majority of English fans are not ‘knuckle dragging’ either. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

What I think you are missing is a united GB team would make things worse not better in terms of reaction and division.

Perhaps initially. But we see with other sports that ultimately people just get behind athletes and teams regardless. 

19 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Imagine a 26 man squad with 20 plus English players in it and ten English starters in the XI (not unrealistic either), that would be worse for the Scots in particular than England winning the Euro’s. If an Englishman picked that squad it would be 100% bias and if a Scot was in charge he would be labelled a traitor/sheep in wolfs clothing etc. etc.

But part of my point is that hopefully a united team would mean that this kind of national delineation wouldn't be an issue. You don't see people analysing the %age of representation in the Olympic squad, or worrying that the selectors are Welsh and so they're "traitors". Do you? Or have I missed that? I don't say all this in an attempt to assert English dominance. I really don't.

Look it's not going to happen, I know that, the FA, the players, IFAB, fans, sponsors, agents, politicians etc all have too much invested in the current set up.

I'll just end with the observation that FIFA needing to have a specific rule to clarify that the four British teams can exist shows up the absurdity of it.

Enjoy the game tonight.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

On 13/07/2024 at 10:18, Mr Hankey said:

I think people take this whole thing a bit too seriously….of course the Scottish, Welsh & Irish want us to lose, but i dont think they genuinely hate us (apart from a lot of the Irish perhaps). Most of the papers and social media sites, Paddy Power in particular, are very much tongue in cheek.

I think you’ve got this completely wrong . They do hate us & the feelings mutual imo. I want us to win mainly to get the monkey off our back because it’s been so long . However the continual baiting of especially the taffs in league games will be 🤞🏻🤞🏻 beautiful 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Perhaps initially. But we see with other sports that ultimately people just get behind athletes and teams regardless. 

But part of my point is that hopefully a united team would mean that this kind of national delineation wouldn't be an issue. You don't see people analysing the %age of representation in the Olympic squad, or worrying that the selectors are Welsh and so they're "traitors". Do you? Or have I missed that? I don't say all this in an attempt to assert English dominance. I really don't.

Look it's not going to happen, I know that, the FA, the players, IFAB, fans, sponsors, agents, politicians etc all have too much invested in the current set up.

I'll just end with the observation that FIFA needing to have a specific rule to clarify that the four British teams can exist shows up the absurdity of it.

Enjoy the game tonight.

Cheers, will do. Not looking for an argument or anything like that but another consequence of merging is how long would it take for a South African style quota system to be enforced? It’s not enforced in Athletics because performance is measurable, not largely subjective, but in an emotive and tribal team sport you could see it happening.

Imagine the manager thinking “I want to play Pickford but I need Mainoo more so, Angus Gunn, it’s all yours lad”!!

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I think you’ve got this completely wrong . They do hate us & the feelings mutual imo. I want us to win mainly to get the monkey off our back because it’s been so long . However the continual baiting of especially the taffs in league games will be 🤞🏻🤞🏻 beautiful 

Personally disagree about the hatred (having come across many from all home nations throughout my time, but thats just me personal experience). I want us to win as i’m English, couldnt give a shit about the baiting part of it afterwards.

Edited by Mr Hankey

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Cheers, will do. Not looking for an argument or anything like that but another consequence of merging is how long would it take for a South African style quota system to be enforced? It’s not enforced in Athletics because performance is measurable, not largely subjective, but in an emotive and tribal team sport you could see it happening.

Imagine the manager thinking “I want to play Pickford but I need Mainoo more so, Angus Gunn, it’s all yours lad”!!

You don't currently count up how many Yorkshiremen, Scousers and Londoners play in the England team do you? I just don't see that as something that would be an issue. Bear in mind I'm arguing for a shift in mindset away from that level of tribalism and see this as a way of damping that division, ultimately for the betterment of the UK as a collective whole.

Everyone would just be British. Of course they can still identify with regional subcultures and carry different blood heritages - exactly the same way as how Pickford, Watkins, Mainoo, Saka et al are all considered equally 'English' despite hailing from very different parts of the country (and world).

This is why I say I'm for unity rather than division.

I think the South African example is really something quite different.