IGNORED

Newport County pre-season friendly

Hello fellow-Reds, ahead of our second friendly this season, which takes place  at the HPC with a mid day kick off on Tuesday, here’s a brief run down on Newport County, nicknamed the Exiles.

Their nickname is a result of having to play home matches for the 1989–90 season at the London Road ground in the north Gloucestershire town of Moreton-in-Marsh, 80 miles north-east of Newport!

They finished the 2023–24 season in 18th place in League Two.

On 20 June 2024, manager Graham Coughlan departed the club by mutual consent, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c9eedy4xpryo, last week it was announced that former Swansea City coach Nelson Jardim will lead them into the new League Two season as Head Coach. Which marks a change of approach: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c3ge0d7z2z1o

Their squad: https://www.newport-county.co.uk/squad/23

Our head to head record - won 26, drawn 13 and lost 16. Our last league meeting was in division three in 1987 when we won 4-0. Perhaps the game that they won 6-4 back on 31st December 1949, when we were both in division three south,  is the most remarkable between us! We had beaten them 6-0 at Ashton Gate in September that year. Our squad back then: https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/players/season/1949/

Like us they have a fierce rivalry with Cardiff City, there is just 12 miles between them.

The game will be streamed free to fans on Robins TV – all you need to do is select the game to “watch live” and login with your Bristol Sport Club Account 🤞we may get to see some of our new-comers in action for the first time.

For a round-up of the recent County journey take a look here: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newport-county-manchester-united-new-dawn-2872686

IMG_5130.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

f anyone has found a clip of Keith CurIe's solo goal against them at the Gate , I'd love to see it. I think it must have been on a VHS tape that got taped over and that's why its not on my Youtube page.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

f anyone has found a clip of Keith CurIe's solo goal against them at the Gate , I'd love to see it. I think it must have been on a VHS tape that got taped over and that's why its not on my Youtube page.

That goal & Biff Newman screamer (v Chester??) are 2 of my early favourites.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Sorry can’t help but I wouldn’t mind a link to you page please ?

1 hour ago, Lavington Robin said:

it should be at the bottom of my posts   👇

Funnily enough the game I remember the most was when we played them at home in some sort of preseason tournament in 1982 with a bunch of kids and Tom Ritchie.  We lost 4-1 in front of 1800 odd people.  

Edited by Malago

2 hours ago, Lavington Robin said:

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

it should be at the bottom of my posts   👇

36 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not on mobile view 

Thanks Phantom , I didn't realise.

Here you go @Lavington Robin 

https://www.youtube.com/@1960maaan/videos

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

That evening match was on my birthday.......and it seemed like a special birthday present from KC when he ran and ran and slotted it into  the net.   It is one of my most memorable City goals, and i would love to see it again?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TDarwall said:

That goal & Biff Newman screamer (v Chester??) are 2 of my early favourites.

If you’re talking about the Biff 35-40 yard volley / on the bounce…that was Newport C, past Roger Freestone.

Its on one of @1960maaan’s YouTube videos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If you’re talking about the Biff 35-40 yard volley / on the bounce…that was Newport C, past Roger Freestone.

Its on one of @1960maaan’s YouTube videos.

Yes thats the one! Maybe it was a FK Biff scored v Chester or maybe it's a long time ago & I can't recall!

Was anybody at the Newport County Bristol City match that was supposed to be our last-ever game? to say it was an emotional afternoon would be an understatement. I am so glad to see them still going and long may that continue, I don't have the negative feelings towards them that I get with Swansea and Cardiff always had a soft spot for them.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

Was anybody at the Newport County Bristol City match that was supposed to be our last-ever game? to say it was an emotional afternoon would be an understatement. I am so glad to see them still going and long may that continue, I don't have the negative feelings towards them that I get with Swansea and Cardiff always had a soft spot for them.

Yes I went over to Somerton Park for the game, we managed to get into their supporters club bar for a few beers before the game and the fans in there were decent and sympathetic to our plight I recall. Stood on the open terrace hardly believing it could be the last game. As you say when their name pops up I always think of that day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pillred said:

Yes I was there,on the end which seemed to be a gentle slope of ashes!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Yes I was there,on the end which seemed to be a gentle slope of ashes!

It was wasn't it, probably the worst ground I have ever visited, the toilet consisted of a breeze block square with one wall painted black to relieve yourself against oh! and no roof! :laugh:.

Edited by pillred

• Admin
1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Club twitter says 12pm ko, link to watch says 1pm ko…..any ideas?!

Been advertised as 12pm everywhere else, I would put that down as the first of many errors on our website this season

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, pillred said:

It was wasn't it, probably the worst ground I have ever visited, the toilet consisted of a breeze block square with one wall painted black to relieve yourself against oh! and no roof! :laugh:.

Worse than the old Chesterfield ground? 

3 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Loved those aerial shots of the away end at Saltergate from the TV gantry during a game.

You could see all of the away end pissing away with the steam coming up on a cold day. 🤣

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, pillred said:

In February 1982, what was expected to be the club's final game was at Newport County. Hordes of programme collectors descended to buy a copy of what would become a collector's item. The national T.V. news  showed the equaliser in the 1-1 draw and commentators asked "Will this be Bristol City's last goal?"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Wolves

Thanks, but this already happened? I didn't see anything about it on here or the OS.

Never mind, found the thread now, had thought it was about a historical match 😅

Edited by Porto Red
Blindness, ignorance and stupidity

1 minute ago, Porto Red said:

Thanks, but this already happened? I didn't see anything about it on here or the OS.

Yep, happened Saturday behind closed doors - wasn’t announced in advance and we seem to have only acknowledged it after Wolves publicised the score. Should be a thread on here, lost 3-0

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We should've at least published our 1st half and 2nd half sides no?

All seemed very hush hush, even the Wolves Report referred to our own Goal as being by a defender.

I was told that everyone played an hour and Wolves were tough opponents who are a week or so ahead of us as Gary O'Neil wanted all those not on international duty back early. I don't think the game ran a standard 90 minutes as it was a hot day I think they played 3 thirds or in quarters. I don't know who scored the OG though.

• Thanks 1

On 21/07/2024 at 11:32, Jerseybean said:

Hello fellow-Reds, ahead of our second friendly this season, which takes place  at the HPC with a mid day kick off on Tuesday, here’s a brief run down on Newport County, nicknamed the Exiles.

Their nickname is a result of having to play home matches for the 1989–90 season at the London Road ground in the north Gloucestershire town of Moreton-in-Marsh, 80 miles north-east of Newport!

They finished the 2023–24 season in 18th place in League Two.

On 20 June 2024, manager Graham Coughlan departed the club by mutual consent, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c9eedy4xpryo, last week it was announced that former Swansea City coach Nelson Jardim will lead them into the new League Two season as Head Coach. Which marks a change of approach: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c3ge0d7z2z1o

Their squad: https://www.newport-county.co.uk/squad/23

Our head to head record - won 26, drawn 13 and lost 16. Our last league meeting was in division three in 1987 when we won 4-0. Perhaps the game that they won 6-4 back on 31st December 1949, when we were both in division three south,  is the most remarkable between us! We had beaten them 6-0 at Ashton Gate in September that year. Our squad back then: https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/players/season/1949/

Like us they have a fierce rivalry with Cardiff City, there is just 12 miles between them.

The game will be streamed free to fans on Robins TV – all you need to do is select the game to “watch live” and login with your Bristol Sport Club Account 🤞we may get to see some of our new-comers in action for the first time.

For a round-up of the recent County journey take a look here: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newport-county-manchester-united-new-dawn-2872686

IMG_5130.png

I started at end of 1949~50 season and saw a lot of those names over the next seasons. One I don’t remember at City was Jimmie Mullen a left winger. But there was a same name at Wolves that I saw playing at  Cardiff in 1953 or 54. Could be the same one as I believe that pro footballers serving time in the armed forces could play for the clubs nearest their barracks. I’ll just add him to my memory list of famous players that I’ve seen playing live.

Just looked up on Wikipedia. Not the same on. Came from N Reland.

Edited by cidered abroad

4 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Under 21s (most likely the Under18's from last season) away at WSM 7.45 KO.

It's fair to say squad depth is going to be tested with 3 games on one day.

Quite, I'd assumed they'd split the squad and supplement with U21s for both Newport and Aldershot.

The only other idea I've got in my head is that the full first team squad go to both games and they share out the minutes.

12 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Quite, I'd assumed they'd split the squad and supplement with U21s for both Newport and Aldershot.

The only other idea I've got in my head is that the full first team squad go to both games and they share out the minutes.

The only issue with that is basically the Under 21s are last year's U18s (10 signed on). There is only i would reckon about 15 of them in total. They need to put out a team at WSM, so there probably won't be many (if any) to go around for both the Newport and Aldershot games. I can't remember a time when we've put on 3 games in an afternoon.

I'm off to Aldershot anyhow, first time back there since the 80's cup replays that seemed to go on, and on ,and on for ever....🤣

Edited by NcnsBcfc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Never had the pleasure of going there but if it indeed was worse then Chesterfields supporters have my deepest sympathy, was it really that bad?

12 hours ago, pillred said:

Never had the pleasure of going there but if it indeed was worse then Chesterfields supporters have my deepest sympathy, was it really that bad?

I went there once for an midweek away match as I was working in Nottingham, there was temporary fencing at the back of the away terrace to stop people falling off the back where it was crumbling away. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I went there once for an midweek away match as I was working in Nottingham, there was temporary fencing at the back of the away terrace to stop people falling off the back where it was crumbling away. 

If that was the game in the 80s , I remember hearing there were Cardiff there too. Newport was always interesting and I seem to remember they had those metal crowd barriers strapped to the fencing to act as segregation , the place was a tip.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

If that was the game in the 80s , I remember hearing there were Cardiff there too. Newport was always interesting and I seem to remember they had those metal crowd barriers strapped to the fencing to act as segregation , the place was a tip.

No mate, it was during the GJ period, I think we won 1-3 and Keogh scored one of the goals?

• Like 1

I think we beat Newport last season in a friendly 8-0.

Not expecting a score like that today..

Edit: Just checked, it was 8-0 with Wells and Scott getting hat tricks.

Edited by bcfc01

On 21/07/2024 at 21:20, TDarwall said:

Yes thats the one! Maybe it was a FK Biff scored v Chester or maybe it's a long time ago & I can't recall!

I remember him scoring from a free kick in a 1-0 win away to Walsall in 82 when we had to field a team of kiddies .

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

No idea if this means that it will be a completely different side for the second half or the others are involved tonight v Aldershot?

Time will tell, only practice stuff anyway, isn’t it?

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No idea if this means that it will be a completely different side for the second half or the others are involved tonight v Aldershot?

Only 4 subs named by the looks of it, so guess the rest have gone to Aldershot.

U-21s are also at Weston tonight

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Others involved tonight. Although who will play at RB I'm not sure.

On 21/07/2024 at 22:23, pillred said:

Was anybody at the Newport County Bristol City match that was supposed to be our last.

Loads were there, I got thoroughly bladdered before the game and don't remember too much about it...............suffice it to say apparently the Heddlu we looking for me after, not one of my finest moments !:boxing:🍺

• Haha 1

Line up makes it a much more interesting game than I thought.

Good to see some of the younger players having a run out.

Can't see this being 8-0 like last season.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The subs are listed so not many changes planned 

Rest of the squad playing tonight 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Can someone offer insight into Campbell-Slowly, Ali, and Meerholz?

JCS is a left side CB, quite elegant, and decent defensively, good recovery.

Zack Ali is a CB, I’ve seen him play both left and right in a CB-pairing.  Steady, no frills. Not seen enough to give anything more.

Jed Meerholz is a CM (but can play in back-4). Elegant left-footed player, but with a physical side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, phantom said:

The subs are listed so not many changes planned 

Rest of the squad playing tonight 

Yes, if anything like last season, the subs are more there for injuries.  Expect the starters to be aiming to get 90 mins.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

JCS is a left side CB, quite elegant, and decent defensively, good recovery.

Zack Ali is a CB, I’ve seen him play both left and right in a CB-pairing.  Steady, no frills. Not seen enough to give anything more.

Jed Meerholz is a CM (but can play in back-4). Elegant left-footed player, but with a physical side.

I think all three were born in 2005.

Makes me feel very old (which I am) :angry:

15 minutes ago, Selred said:

Others involved tonight. Although who will play at RB I'm not sure.

Think it will be 

Max

Vyner

Dickie

Naismith

Backwell/James

Murphy

Williams

Pring

Knight

Stokes

Fally

Question marks at RWB and midfield two, but a lot of it probably picks itself. Roberts wasn’t in the Wolves pictures and Naismith was so I’m taking a guess that he’s injured and Campbell-Slowey has been given a chance

2 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Interesting to see if Sykes playing LWB. Would have thought with Pring likely playing against Aldershot that Morrison better suited to a full game here in his natural position. Excited to see Bird and Armstrong 

This is what I assume given the line up. Not entirely convinced he can play that role going off of last seasons attempts there, in fact I think he is pretty wasted in that position. Need to be up the top end of the pitch on the right.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tony Tootle said:

This is what I assume given the line up. Not entirely convinced he can play that role going off of last seasons attempts there, in fact I think he is pretty wasted in that position. Need to be up the top end of the pitch on the right.

Yes, He wasn't up to his usual high standards for much of the second half of the season. I put that down to the injury more than anything. I like his versatility and he's one of those players you'd probably shoe horn into the side because he offers plenty in all three phases of the game. 

Formation looks more like a 343 than a double 10 behind a striker with Sinclair and Anis occupying the wings. We will see!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Think it will be 

Max

Vyner

Dickie

Naismith

Backwell/James

Murphy

Williams

Pring

Knight

Stokes

Fally

Question marks at RWB and midfield two, but a lot of it probably picks itself. Roberts wasn’t in the Wolves pictures and Naismith was so I’m taking a guess that he’s injured and Campbell-Slowey has been given a chance

So you don’t think Sam Bell will feature? Or Cornick?

• Like 2