IGNORED

Newport County pre-season friendly

Not a bad first half. We should probably be in front but their keeper had made some good stops and they've knocked a few off the line. Armstrong certainly seems to have the pace to get round the back. We've only four kids on the bench so I wonder whether we can switch it a little 2nd half by bringing Anis to the left and Sykes going right and also swapping the central two as the left footed Max Bird was mainly on the right first half while the right footed Gardner-Hickman was predominantly on the left. I'd also like to see Newport up it a bit as while they've defended well they haven't bothered us at the back and I'd like to see our defence and keeper Bajic tested. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection

8 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Left back by the looks of it, I recognise the name so guess he's been around the younger age groups for a while

Believe he's a centre-half by trade, though very young so maybe mouldable. Or just filling a gap.

• Thanks 1

That was a decent enough work out. Good tempo to the game.

Armstrong looks a solid target man. None of us want Sykes on the left but he's actually looked lively out there.

Mehmeti a bit wayward so far.

41 minutes ago, phantom said:

To try it out, better now than at Hull

Really common to play wide midfielders off their weaker foot.

Still, at least it stops the obsessive “we’re going to play Sykes LWB” posts.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Line up makes it a much more interesting game than I thought.

Good to see some of the younger players having a run out.

Can't see this being 8-0 like last season.

Is it that much weaker a side today?

Newport last year our side.

Screenshot_20240723-125730_Chrome.jpg.539a6cb761f9a77b4586487bbe47810a.jpg

Wiles-Richards, Leeson, Araoye hardly first choice and in their prime, King was in the Autumn of his career, Cornick is much maligned at times.

One £20-25m midfielder aside a true game changer, huge difference?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

That was a decent enough work out. Good tempo to the game.

Armstrong looks a solid target man. None of us want Sykes on the left but he's actually looked lively out there.

Mehmeti a bit wayward so far.

Shock. Innit.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Really common to play wide midfielders off their weaker foot.

Still, at least it stops the obsessive “we’re going to play Sykes LWB” posts.

You should look up the definition of obsessive. Might be surprised what you see.

Just now, Super said:

Is it Stowey or Slowey?

Slowey. 👍

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is it that much weaker a side today?

Screenshot_20240723-125730_Chrome.jpg.539a6cb761f9a77b4586487bbe47810a.jpg

Wiles-Richards, Leeson, Araoye hardly first choice and in their prime, King was in the Autumn of his career, Cornick is much maligned at times.

One £20-25m midfielder aside a true game changer, huge difference?

You can't compare at all. 

Both friendlies, huge turnover of players since, different managers since. Pretty much nothing to compare. 

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

17 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Shock. Innit.

It feels like the Robins TV guys have been briefed to big him up. Loads of superlatives for some very average play. 4(?) replays showcasing him at half time, though the 3rd and 4th were different angles of him getting fouled... 

• Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

You can't compare at all. 

Both friendlies, huge turnover of players since, different managers since. Pretty much nothing to compare. 

Yeah there have been changes at both clubs but that was the team, possibly without context.

Seeing that kit in action it really is a thing of wonder...

... Specifically, you wonder how Maverick looked at the sample and thought it liked good!!

Short short sleeves and tight cuffs could be one of those 1%'s that LJ used to bang on about. Anything that might feel uncomfortable when playing is going to be detrimental.

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

It feels like the Robins TV guys have been briefed to big him up. Loads of superlatives for some very average play. 4(?) replays showcasing him at half time, though the 3rd and 4th were different angles of him getting fouled... 

Newport doubling up on him most of the time. He's firing the crosses with some pace which must be what he's been told to do. The high press has been good and well drilled although I'm mindful of the opposition.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah there have been changes at both clubs but that was the team, possibly without context.

in truth, we should be 4 or 5 ahead at this point. Some good chances. Think we've been quite good tbh. Pressing much better than last season, really visible that the triggers have been coached well. Sinclair looks a real handful, need to work on his movement in the box when we are crossing. 

• Hmmm 1

Just now, kidjupiter said:

Lovely goal from Wells.

Bloke is an outstanding finisher.

He might be 34 now but he’s a class act, general game is so good too.

• Like 9

Just now, BobBobBobbin said:

in truth, we should be 4 or 5 ahead at this point. Some good chances. Think we've been quite good tbh. Pressing much better than last season, really visible that the triggers have been coached well. Sinclair looks a real handful, need to work on his movement in the box when we are crossing. 

Only seen it since the last 5 mins of the first half.

Finishing is an Achilles heel for Sinclair, as per a QPR posters on here, he looks to have good raw attributes however.

Much improved this second half (although I don't think we were bad in the 1st)

Mehmeti looking far more dangerous. That right side of Mehmeti, Tanner and McCrorie causing lots of problems. 

Great ball from Bird to put Wells through for his goal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Bird looks quality.

Agreed.

He looks very calm on the ball when under pressure in particular - don't think he has misplaced a pass. Very promising.

40 minutes ago, Wrongagain said:

Using silk browser on fire tv, same as google, just a pain using the remote rather than a keyboard!

Makes no difference, had to shoot to Southmead Hospital to pick the Mrs up. Felt guilty asking her to wait 45 minutes.

Can’t even get it on my phone 🙄

It's been noticeable how much more positive Tanner has been today too.

Getting forward quickly without being hesitant, always looking to play a forward pass - good signs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Good to see our assistant manager in the bottom rightimage.thumb.png.a1888722786c66a951db634983be4640.png

I remember how well he played at Anfield in '94......

On a serious note, who is that next to Tinnion? Looks like I'd imagine Matty Hewlett would look nowadays....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, J.V.F said:

It's been noticeable how much more positive Tanner has been today too.

Getting forward quickly without being hesitant, always looking to play a forward pass - good signs.

Thought the same. He was always a solid and confident defender but today has consistently got his head up and looked to pass forward. 

• Like 1

Definition of a good runout there. Almost the entire game spent in Newport's half, strong pressing and a couple of goals as reward. Wells excellent, nice goal from Armstrong, Bird impressive, youngsters getting some good minutes too. Very nice.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

You know why, it’s his club now, that’s why Hewlett, Gerken & Mickey Bell are now coaches.

Basically friends & family..

Surely we can find a job for his dog as well? 😁

1 minute ago, kidjupiter said:

Definition of a good runout there. Almost the entire game spent in Newport's half, strong pressing and a couple of goals as reward. Wells excellent, nice goal from Armstrong, Bird impressive, youngsters getting some good minutes too. Very nice.

Thought Mehmeti looked sharp and caused them problems

• Like 1

I really like Tanner. Excellent, intelligent footballer who always gives his all. Bravo.

Good run out. Anis looking sharp. Atko looking solid.

Hopefully, someone emerges from the pack in midfield to define us and dictate (forward) play … a few with potential, someone needs to step up to be the king-pin ‘baller and take it into the opponents box to cause mayhem/free the attackers.  Thought Sykes, in a central role, was the man - but Manning clearly doesn’t  think so. 

The rest of the team, including the young’uns were sound imo. 

More on plot, difficult as ever to read anything in to today’s game as it was basically a glorified training exercise. On the positive side, looked fit and sharp, and I’ll add to the chorus that Bird looks an intelligent player and may well be a decent James replacement. All probably as expected today and I’m not drawing any initial conclusions other than 90 minutes for most of the team at this stage of pre season has to be a good thing.

• Like 1

Key points for me….good work out with no obvious injuries, Atkinson back involved, Bird looked tidy, Armstrong’s pace and power evident, Campbell-Stowey looked promising and my new Robins TV worked, eventually, even though it wouldn’t log me in! 

Is tonight’s game on RTV? 

• Like 1

Just now, NewquayRed said:

Sinclair clearly has something about him in the right formation, nice to have some physicality up top for a change and man he’s rapid. 

Agreed.

I'd like to see him as a wide forward as well.

Quite impressed with him and Bird and the younger lads did well, not at all out of their depth.

Everyone played well I thought, especially in the second half.

• Like 1

Sounded a positive enough afternoon, stuck in work so was relying on eyes of OTIB and my Da. No knocks and good showings from the new boys Bird and Sinclair. Positive comments too about Tanner, McCrorie, Atkinson, Mehmeti and Wells. Good stuff.

One down, four to go.