IGNORED

Newport County pre-season friendly

Can’t read too much into pre season friendlies but it was very encouraging to see the fast paced 1 touch passing and how direct it was (mostly forward looking for runners or at least probing for an opening).  Also I was really happy to see the return of the high press which was very effective - shout out to Anis who has improved at that no end.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Unbelievable.......well not really

That raekwon nelson looks some player !! 🔥 max bird looks very composed on the ball and had a very good pass on him, armstrong is a defenders nightmare not only string but can move the defense all over the place! Not a bad showing that game for our 2nd putting 

• Like 2

Good work out and once we moved the ball quicker we looked good.  Sinclair is rapid, Big Rob was solid and shout out to Campbell Slowey who did really well out of position.  Thought TGH had a great game (miss aside) and linked well with Bird who is technically excellent.   It’s pre season so more about minutes in legs and fitness levels looked good for where we are in pre season. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Agreed.

I'd like to see him as a wide forward as well.

Quite impressed with him and Bird and the younger lads did well, not at all out of their depth.

Everyone played well I thought, especially in the second half.

I think the end of that game sums up Armstrong. Going to be a lot of head in our hands moments with him (just like Semenyo when he started). But he does offer us something different and has got to be a better option than Cornick.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, J.V.F said:

It's been noticeable how much more positive Tanner has been today too.

Getting forward quickly without being hesitant, always looking to play a forward pass - good signs.

Yes I picked up on that aswell much much better from him

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

More on plot, difficult as ever to read anything in to today’s game as it was basically a glorified training exercise. On the positive side, looked fit and sharp, and I’ll add to the chorus that Bird looks an intelligent player and may well be a decent James replacement. All probably as expected today and I’m not drawing any initial conclusions other than 90 minutes for most of the team at this stage of pre season has to be a good thing.

I possibly felt as if we looked a bit too fit and sharp with plenty getting 90 mins. We've got a long old season ahead of us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I possibly felt as if we looked a bit too fit and sharp with plenty getting 90 mins. We've got a long old season ahead of us. 

We were noticeably very fit today; However I think some of that boils down to how much better the press looked. The triggers were pretty much perfect throughout, the secondary press was brilliantly energetic and it was all in tandem. A huge improvement on the often poorly execute mid-block/trigger press that came in with Manning mid-season. 

I am hoping that is a sign of things to come as we looked elite in that regard today. Pressing set-up is probably the one thing you can get a real read of in pre-season. 

I noticed how many chances  Rob Atkinson had from set plays aswell with him and dickie in the box for set plays next season we may score alot of goals from it add in the presence of armstrong and the delivery of twine and it give us a totally different dimension 

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is a new one for me, we are too fit and sharp in pre-season

• Like 6

Just now, BCFC31 said:

I noticed how many changed Rob Atkinson had from set plays aswell with him and dickie in the box for set plays next season we may score alot of goals from it 

True, but would we not miss Vyners pace ?

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

True, but would we not miss Vyners pace ?

I think we will go with a back 3 of eaither dickie vyner and Atkinson or with tanner in there it's going to be the most difficult part of the team for manning to pick as we have lots of good options there! 

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phantom said:

This is a new one for me, we are too fit and sharp in pre-season

You don't want to peak too early.

You want to reach peak fitness when the season kicks off. 

Guardiola will regularly treat the early premier league games as pre season games knowing that Man City will go long into the season. 

• Facepalm 2

Just now, transfer reader said:

First time I've seen a team criticised for looking too fit.

Then I saw who said it and everything made sense.

Owers said much the same in the commentary. There is a school of thought that you can peak too early in your conditioning and plateau. I'm sure the new head of conditioning will have the science to back it up though. 

It's a perfectly plausible concern, though not one I share as yet. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Owers said much the same in the commentary. There is a school of thought that you can peak too early in your conditioning and plateau. I'm sure the new head of conditioning will have the science to back it up though. 

This is our first game well 2nd if we include the Wolves practice- if we are approaching peak fitness now I dunno what to make.

We should be building up and approaching by the Willem II or Hull Away?

Just now, BobBobBobbin said:

But it also ignores the fact we were controlling everything about the game. That means our players are having a less taxing time than Newport ones and would increase any perceived disparity in fitness.

The triggers for the press were also being executed extremely efficiently. Less wasted runs, less energy being sapped.

I'd suggest knowing exactly how fit we really are in pre season, from a fans knowledge, will take more than just 1 run out in a game we controlled.

• Flames 1

Highlights for me..

Great to see Atkinson back and play most of the game. If he and Dickie play together watch out for set pieces. 

Armstrong looks rapid, strong and although he slowed, he lasted longer than I thought considering the reports for QPR fans saying he can't last 90 mins. 

As for the youngsters - Campbell-Slowey looks very composed on the ball and impressed. Nelson looks a danger with his pace and delivery whilst setting up Armstrong for his goal. 

McCrorie busted a gut down the right consistently.

Tanner looked more positive and tidy with his decisions. 

Bird was my pick of the bunch. Everything seemed so relaxed when he was on the ball and at times the game was frantic. Received the ball well, looked up and either played neat short passes or spread the ball with longer passes. Nice incisive pass for the Wells goal. Made a couple of interceptions and accelerated forward at times. Think he's going to make a big difference to how we play.

Most of the team did well just the players that stood out for me. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Vyner and Dickie, with O'Leary behind is surely the sensible base on which to build?

You build around that and perhaps Knight, plus Bird or Williams in the midfield.

A strong spine. A strong base.

I have to say I was a bit surprised on the stature of Bird. He was much taller than I thought and he looked very fit. I know the opposition's midfield wasn't great but I was really impressed with him. Also early signs that Armstrong will be a proper handful for defences and if he can work on his finishing, could be a very exciting prospect. I know it's very early doors by the way.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is our first game well 2nd if we include the Wolves practice- if we are approaching peak fitness now I dunno what to make.

We should be building up and approaching by the Willem II or Hull Away?

It depends entirely on your assessment or understanding of what peak fitness means for any individual, really. I know that Rennie was focussed on the balance between fitness in the physical cardiovascular sense and injury prevention. The closer you are to full physical outputs the higher the likelihood of your body/muscles breaking down. 

I don't know much if anything about the new medical team and how they work. But we've gone with a slightly larger squad so perhaps that equation of availability versus running outputs has changed in terms of tolerable risk.

All guesswork though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, supercidered said:

I have to say I was a bit surprised on the stature of Bird. He was much taller than I thought and he looked very fit. I know the opposition's midfield wasn't great but I was really impressed with him. Also early signs that Armstrong will be a proper handful for defences and if he can work on his finishing, could be a very exciting prospect. I know it's very early doors by the way.

Armstrong I think a reasonable chance he will come good, it's  matter of when IMO and I'm not expecting too much too soon as still developing etc.

Bird I like, his key pass for the Wells goal was great. Him and Knight together again?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I remember how well he played at Anfield in '94......

On a serious note, who is that next to Tinnion? Looks like I'd imagine Matty Hewlett would look nowadays....

Since when was Hewlett part of the staff? Last I knew he was running a sandwich delivery van and visiting our office at lunchtimes! 😂

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Highlights for me..

Great to see Atkinson back and play most of the game. If he and Dickie play together watch out for set pieces. 

Armstrong looks rapid, strong and although he slowed, he lasted longer than I thought considering the reports for QPR fans saying he can't last 90 mins. 

As for the youngsters - Campbell-Slowey looks very composed on the ball and impressed. Nelson looks a danger with his pace and delivery whilst setting up Armstrong for his goal. 

McCrorie busted a gut down the right consistently.

Tanner looked more positive and tidy with his decisions. 

Bird was my pick of the bunch. Everything seemed so relaxed when he was on the ball and at times the game was frantic. Received the ball well, looked up and either played neat short passes or spread the ball with longer passes. Nice incisive pass for the Wells goal. Made a couple of interceptions and accelerated forward at times. Think he's going to make a big difference to how we play.

Most of the team did well just the players that stood out for me. 

Agree with all of that. Bird looks like a proper footballer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Armstrong I think a reasonable chance he will come good, it's  matter of when IMO and I'm not expecting too much too soon as still developing etc.

Bird I like, his key pass for the Wells goal was great. Him and Knight together again?

Was absolutely delighted that he got off of the mark. 

• Like 3

On Hewlett, Gerken and similar.

I'd say one or two former players in specifc positions can be a good thing, club culture maintained.

Beyond that though, you really in all areas on and off pitch, have to be looking at the best of the best or at least the most ambitious that the club can afford and entice.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Atkinson we now know is fit again. We hope he stays fit.

Benarous- what Grease is the word?

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say one or two former players in specifc positions can be a good thing, club culture maintained.

Beyond that though, you really in all areas on and off pitch, have to be looking at the best of the best or at least the most ambitious that the club can afford and entice.

Its wild to me that we have all these coaches without having an actual set piece coach, surely Pat Mountain would be better served focusing on the GKs all the time rather than having distractions of whos marking who etc in game, just a thought.

Edited by Benneythered
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Were you not supportive of King getting a coaching role here?

Kalifa Cisse?

Not sure where the idea of Gerken and Tinnion being mates is from either. Tinnion had retired before Gerken joined us and wasn't he running his coaching schools in Spain until about 2014?

Just now, transfer reader said:

Kalifa Cisse?

Not sure where the idea of Gerken and Tinnion being mates is from either. Tinnion had retired before Gerken joined us and wasn't he running his coaching schools in Spain until about 2014?

Apparently because King has played in the PL, everything he does is brilliant. 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, transfer reader said:

Kalifa Cisse?

King had a significant pedigree as a player and his tactical know-how and game experience could've been invaluable. Perhaps he was an unimpressive player coach I really dunno? :dunno:

King helping to nurture young midfielders strikes me as a good fit.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The big lad up front for Newport looks a handful.

It is Matty Hewlett.

That'd be why he looks a lot like Matty Hewlett then!  Though it's possibly just his brother, Matt....according to LinkedIn has been with us for 5 years now!  Not sure what rock I've been hiding under for that long mind!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Apparently because King has played in the PL, everything he does is brilliant. 

PL, won PL- won 3 divisions in English football, played for his country x 50 (okay it was only Wales). Did he play at Euro 2016?

Played in the CL at Leicester I am sure but not certain.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Kalifa Cisse?

No

Did Cisse not come in as a scout / translator when he first joined? Nobody really knew what he did, he must have done something right because Manning promoted him, maybe he was useful to Manning and far enough away from the old team not to be an issue.

• Flames 2

38 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

Dean Gerkin? If so how long as he been a coach here? 

He's the u21 goalkeeper coach, and really good with the young players I would have thought. He also trains my daughter once a week at his "academy" and she has improved tenfold in the year she's been training with him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Was absolutely delighted that he got off of the mark. 

I am liking this guy, his demeanour is top class, his work rate and pace a real asset. Gonna be a great sub if needed, can't see why his goal tally was so low at QPR, I see 12 goals minimum in him.

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

King had a significant pedigree as a player and his tactical know-how and game experience could've been invaluable. Perhaps he was an unimpressive player coach I really dunno? :dunno:

King helping to nurture young midfielders strikes me as a good fit.

So?

Pedigree as a footballer doesn't make someone a good coach or manager.

Lampard and Rooney already showing that.

Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho likewise.

Ince, Neville, Stoichkov, Gullit weren't particularly great.

Playing level and experience aren't indicators of coaching ability.

2 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

So?

You can call it PR if you like but he got some glowing write-ups summer 2022 and 2023 in respect of his player coach role(s).

I never said King for manager, I said coach, mentor- all very different roles.

1 minute ago, Benneythered said:

Tbf its always been jobs for the boys, I see Gary J has just signed his brother up at Torquay for another stint as a Head of recruitment

Football often can be very nepotistic. 

6 minutes ago, Ashton Yate said:

Fair play. That one must have passed me by. Bit of a step up from sandwich shop owner! 😂

I believe his title is Players pathway manager (so more than just loans). I gather he helps out by looking at potential signings as well when required. His son has captained our under-18’s last season but fortunately was not sat near him today otherwise he would be getting flak as well no doubt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You can call it PR if you like but he got some glowing write-ups summer 2022 and 2023 in respect of his player coach role(s).

I never said King for manager, I said coach, mentor- all very different roles.

Yes, but it's a million times harder for us as fans to assess a coaches output.

There are also a myriad of managerial styles, some of those I listed will have been very hands on with the coaching. Others won't have been. Some will have been in the role of "head coach" just like Manning is, and that is used practically interchangeably with manager in general speak.

Someone has just given Gerken a glowing review of his coaching on this very thread, so are you now delighted with his appointment? I doubt it.

7 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

So?

Clearly King was a great influence on our team. Scott, Conway, Bell and a few others have publicly said so. I don't have the slightest problem with having a lot of ex City players as part of our staff tbh. 

Cisse is an odd one from what I've heard. Been here since LJ days. Role reduced significantly by Nige, reinstated in the period before Manning confirmed and retained in the set up (Though increasingly less visible so far in pre-season).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Yes, but it's a million times harder for us as fans to assess a coaches output.

There are also a myriad of managerial styles, some of those I listed will have been very hands on with the coaching. Others won't have been. Some will have been in the role of "head coach" just like Manning is, and that is used practically interchangeably with manager in general speak.

Someone has just given Gerken a glowing review of his coaching on this very thread, so are you now delighted with his appointment? I doubt it.

I've no issue with Gerken, O'Leary has come along very nicely- what exactly is his role?

My wider slight query is are we hiring the best we can get in all areas- do Gerken, Hewlett, Cisse among others fit the bill for this. I might have unrealistic expectations too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

So?

The conversation wasn't about Andy King as manager. It was about Andy King as coach. 

Lampard and Rooney are good coaches. Maybe not managers, but can certainly do a job as a coach. So all you've done by including them is back up his point. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Clearly King was a great influence on our team. Scott, Conway, Bell and a few others have publicly said so. I don't have the slightest problem with having a lot of ex City players as part of our staff tbh. 

Cisse is an odd one from what I've heard. Been here since LJ days. Role reduced significantly by Nige, reinstated in the period before Manning confirmed and retained in the set up (Though increasingly less visible so far in pre-season).

I don't particularly care one way or the other about of a coach is an ex player (be that ex-city or to have played the game at a high level at all) or not. As long as they have the relevant coaching qualifications, that is by far and a way the most important factor. After that there are various other things to consider like communication ability (no point having the best and most innovative coach in the world if they cannot get their ideas across to the players).

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of it being "jobs for Tinnion's mates" even when it's someone whose time here didn't overlap with his, vs a "missed opportunity" when it's a player someone likes (and actually would have interacted with Tinnion at some point).

Unsurprisingly, this is most prominent in those who actively look for extra reasons to be critical of Tinnion beyond the genuine ones that are there.

• Like 1