IGNORED

Newport County pre-season friendly

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The conversation wasn't about Andy King as manager. It was about Andy King as coach. 

Lampard and Rooney are good coaches. Maybe not managers, but can certainly do a job as a coach. So all you've done by including them is back up his point. 

I addressed that already, keep up.

1 hour ago, BobBobBobbin said:

wonder what the tangent will be in the Aldershot thread :) 

12-1 Nige

1-3 Stokes being rubbish

150-1 how unprofessional it was for LM to get stuck on the M4

Place your bets with Bobsbookies now

1-3  "Conway would have scored that"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, transfer reader said:

I don't particularly care one way or the other about of a coach is an ex player (be that ex-city or to have played the game at a high level at all) or not. As long as they have the relevant coaching qualifications, that is by far and a way the most important factor. After that there are various other things to consider like communication ability (no point having the best and most innovative coach in the world if they cannot get their ideas across to the players).

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of it being "jobs for Tinnion's mates" even when it's someone whose time here didn't overlap with his, vs a "missed opportunity" when it's a player someone likes (and actually would have interacted with Tinnion at some point).

Unsurprisingly, this is most prominent in those who actively look for extra reasons to be critical of Tinnion beyond the genuine ones that are there.

Yeah, that's fine. I think there's merit in the conversation and it can be held in good faith by both sides. 

I think it's fairly well established that football is full of nepotism. But you can view that as networking and trust etc quite logically. 

Truth is often somewhere in the middle. Tinnion has given roles to people he likes and trusts, there are probably better qualified people out there. Issue for any leader is getting the balance between atmosphere and delivery right. I guess the important point would be "would x, y or z secure an equivalent role at one of our competitors without their relationship/history with the club/hierarchy". That's a perfectly valid POV/Question. 

But you're also right that not many of us have even the slightest inkling into what makes a good coach, what any of these individuals do or how much better or worse their equivalent performs elsewhere. But if we only debated the things we know to be true there would be 3 or 4 posts a week on this forum... We are here to talk about our mutual interest/love. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I possibly felt as if we looked a bit too fit and sharp with plenty getting 90 mins. We've got a long old season ahead of us. 

I’m assuming this is just a piss take?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, transfer reader said:

First time I've seen a team criticised for looking too fit.

Then I saw who said it and everything made sense.

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I’m assuming this is just a piss take?

Rather than just trolling me, how about you add something to the debate? 

Did we look fit and sharp today? Yes. 

Did many players get 90 mins? Yes

It is possible to over do it in pre season and be over conditioned and to then suffer burn out. 

And I did say "possibly" 

Over to you to add something meaningful to the debate. 

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It is possible to over do it in pre season and be over conditioned and to then suffer burn out. 

And I did say "possibly" 

Once again, already addressed this.

Keep up.

It seems you aren't up to the required fitness yet.

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And I did say "possibly" 

Well I assumed it was a joke. As it was a serious post, I’m not going to debate with nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Well I assumed it was a joke. As it was a serious post, I’m not going to debate with nonsense.

Being a troll isn't a good look. 

You had the opportunity to articulate why looking fit and sharp is a good thing at this point in pre-season but you have failed to do so and that says it all. 

As always with my posts, I always provide a context like how I said its possible to over do it and I say this as someone who has ran marathons. 

So unless you can provide a cou ter arguement, probably best to not quote me in future. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Talks well..

First time I've seen him play other than some Derby highlights.

Well impressed by him with the caveat that it was a friendly against L2 opposition.

But he fitted in well with TGH next to him, looked a good pairing, same caveat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

But he fitted in well with TGH next to him, looked a good pairing, same caveat.

Excellent. 

We do have some decent depth in midfield. I know we lost king and James, but we have knight, Williams and Murphy too (hope we can see a bit of him) 

To save me reading through all the pages, what formation did we play? Wasn't sure looking at the line up whether it was 3 at the back with wing backs for flat back 4. How did campbell-Slowey do? What's his position? 

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You had the opportunity to articulate why looking fit and sharp is a good thing at this point in pre-season but you have failed to do so and that says it all. 

As always with my posts, I always provide a context like how I said its possible to over do it and I say this as someone who has ran marathons. 

So unless you can provide a cou ter arguement, probably best to not quote me in future. 

And yet it's a look you go out of your way to give yourself.

To back up point of W-S-M, I would find it strange if we were at peak fitness in our first 90 minute game.

Surely you build up over, gradually working up in games 3 and 4- hopefully peaking vs Willem II or Hull.

If we are at peak now..

1) Our fitness levels aren't huge.

2) We are still playing within ourselves.

3) We start like a train but blow up or run aground in December/January with fatigue and injuries biting.

Or it could be a masterplan we just dunno but peak fitness in full game 1 is different?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

First pre season friendly and tactically the forum is spot on as usual. Posters losing it, end to end slagging each other off, calling each other names etc. Great start to the season…….what if one poster on here is right though and you’ve started bitching too early? By the time Hull comes round you’ll be all bitched out…..

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To back up point of W-S-M, I would find it strange if we were at peak fitness in our first 90 minute game.

Surely you build up over, gradually working up in games 3 and 4- hopefully peaking vs Willem II or Hull.

If we are at peak now..

3) We start like a train but blow up or run aground in December/January with fatigue and injuries biting.

Or it could be a masterplan we just dunno but peak fitness in full game 1 is different?

Who, with any football qualifications whatsoever, stated that we are at peak fitness? Some bloke from Weston reckons we’ve possibly peaked so that becomes a forum fact!!

Surely to judge fitness you would need to see a game where we only have 40% of the ball. That will give you a better indicator tbf. Any team with 70 odd percent possession will “look” conditioned.

• Like 2

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Who, with any football qualifications whatsoever, stated that we are at peak fitness? Some bloke from Weston reckons we’ve possibly peaked so that becomes a forum fact!!

Surely to judge fitness you would need to see a game where we only have 40% of the ball. That will give you a better indicator tbf. Any team with 70 odd percent possession will “look” conditioned.

I think it was mentioned on the commentary unless I misheard. Saw bits of the game. Owers maybe mentioned it?

I agree with your post though, easier to rest in possession- perhaps the Willem II will see that particular year and scenario.

25 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I’ll debate with any sane person, but can you really expect me to take the original post of yours seriously?…

2 hours ago,  W-S-M Seagull said:

I possibly felt as if we looked a bit too fit and sharp with plenty getting 90 mins. We've got a long old season ahead of us.

Edited by Lew-T
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If we are at peak now..

What reference do you have to compare our fitness too in order to claim we're at peak fitness now?

Do you and WSM have loads of extra data?

Does that fact we were largely controlling the game and triggered our presses well (thus meaning less wasted energy) not add more context?

Where is this claim of it being peak fitness coming from? Other than one poster who goes out of their way to be negative about anything Manning related and you in your spiralling depression wanting to back him up?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transfer reader said:

What reference do you have to compare our fitness too in order to claim we're at peak fitness now?

Do you and WSM have loads of extra data?

Does that fact we were largely controlling the game and triggered our presses well (thus meaning less wasted energy) not add more context?

Where is this claim of it being peak fitness coming from? Other than one poster who goes out of their way to be negative about anything Manning related and you in your spiralling depression wanting to back him up?

I refer you to the post by @BobBobBobbin

59 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Yeah, that's fine. I think there's merit in the conversation and it can be held in good faith by both sides. 

I think it's fairly well established that football is full of nepotism. But you can view that as networking and trust etc quite logically. 

Truth is often somewhere in the middle. Tinnion has given roles to people he likes and trusts, there are probably better qualified people out there. Issue for any leader is getting the balance between atmosphere and delivery right. I guess the important point would be "would x, y or z secure an equivalent role at one of our competitors without their relationship/history with the club/hierarchy". That's a perfectly valid POV/Question. 

But you're also right that not many of us have even the slightest inkling into what makes a good coach, what any of these individuals do or how much better or worse their equivalent performs elsewhere. But if we only debated the things we know to be true there would be 3 or 4 posts a week on this forum... We are here to talk about our mutual interest/love. 

To jump in here, I think the point that has been made (and it’s a reasonable one) is that Tinnion is learning on the job. Thats part on him as he no doubt has the ear of Jon/Steve, but is more on them as they had to make the decisions to let him do so.

It’s wholly plausible had he had a better support network around him he’d feel more empowered to widen the net of people he appoints in roles. However, its human nature if you aren’t really sure what you’re doing (and that isn’t a slight, none of us are when new in role) to try and get “friends” in place - it takes a really big person to get the challenger in and that is the case in every industry.

The inherent issue with the club at the moment isn’t whether Matt Hewlett is a good loans manager, whether Gerken is a decent GK coach or what Cisses role is. It’s that we’ve got a lot of people learning on the job from board level down who naturally surround themselves with friends. It’s arguable that the biggest loss, in view of that, in the last few years wasn’t Nigel Pearson or Alex Scott, but Richard Gould.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think it was mentioned on the commentary unless I misheard. Saw bits of the game. Owers maybe mentioned it?

I agree with your post though, easier to rest in possession- perhaps the Willem II will see that particular year and scenario.

Agree, when you are pressing BUT getting played through by the opposition, and have to start chasing it, when you only have 40% possession and need to keep a shape etc. that’s when the extra fitness is either shown to be there or not. Footballers will play 180 minute games if you let them have the ball for 90% of it, no problem at all!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To jump in here, I think the point that has been made (and it’s a reasonable one) is that Tinnion is learning on the job. Thats part on him as he no doubt has the ear of Jon/Steve, but is more on them as they had to make the decisions to let him do so.

It’s wholly plausible had he had a better support network around him he’d feel more empowered to widen the net of people he appoints in roles. However, its human nature if you aren’t really sure what you’re doing (and that isn’t a slight, none of us are when new in role) to try and get “friends” in place - it takes a really big person to get the challenger in and that is the case in every industry.

The inherent issue with the club at the moment isn’t whether Matt Hewlett is a good loans manager, whether Gerken is a decent GK coach or what Cisses role is. It’s that we’ve got a lot of people learning on the job from board level down who naturally surround themselves with friends. It’s arguable that the biggest loss, in view of that, in the last few years wasn’t Nigel Pearson or Alex Scott, but Richard Gould.

Richard Gould, what a loss he was.

You can't beat experience and this line in the Piercy article when he left nails it.

Screenshot_20240723-162458_Chrome.thumb.jpg.902c89e8522c9134ad0ce1a45124830c.jpg

Demand the best, be ambitious, it helps to drive. Such a smart approach- and hiring the best you possibly can in all areas of the club, the Group helps with this.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The conversation wasn't about Andy King as manager. It was about Andy King as coach. 

Lampard and Rooney are good coaches. Maybe not managers, but can certainly do a job as a coach. So all you've done by including them is back up his point. 

How do you come to the conclusion that Rooney is a good coach?

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agree, when you are pressing BUT getting played through by the opposition, and have to start chasing it, when you only have 40% possession and need to keep a shape etc. that’s when the extra fitness is either shown to be there or not. Footballers will play 180 minute games if you let them have the ball for 90% of it, no problem at all!!

Owers made reference to it, and it got cited here.

I struggle to believe we are peak fitness just yet, hopefully we go through the gears a bit with each game.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Don’t disagree on Richard Gould but that was the one departure that was nothing to do with the people at the club, career move to run the ECB was too good to turn down 

• Like 3

Just now, Cov 77 said:

Don’t disagree on Richard Gould but that was the one departure that was nothing to do with the people at the club, career move to run the ECB was too good to turn down 

It is a shame, his dream job potentially. Fully get it but it felt like he had plenty more to give and help to build here.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well done Nakhi. 

Bird possibly has a good range of passing, quite a technical player?

Mr P, you’ve been going on about him for a good 12-months, surely you knew his game-style? 🤷🏻‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mr P, you’ve been going on about him for a good 12-months, surely you knew his game-style? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah he was technical as I thought Dave. I knew he was a relatively technical midfielder with room for growth, thought he was more of a shorter range of passer but yeah 1 Game in looks good.

I'll be honest I am a bit more data driven on some of my suggestions. Plus one or two Derby fans I know talked him up.

2 hours ago, east sussex red said:

Thought Mehmeti looked sharp and caused them problems

I only watched first half, then went to the pub for lunch (on my holibobbs)…I thought he was poor opening 20 mins (ish), but then much better.  I take it he was good second half?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I only watched first half, then went to the pub for lunch (on my holibobbs)…I thought he was poor opening 20 mins (ish), but then much better.  I take it he was good second half?

Second half in general everything went up a gear. Dare I say it... we were front foot right from the kick off and as Bird put it, the shapes were better. Mehmeti caused problems. I don't think he did enough to reassure us about his end product though.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Owers made reference to it, and it got cited here.

I struggle to believe we are peak fitness just yet, hopefully we go through the gears a bit with each game.

It is ironic though, and this isn't aimed at you, that people crucifying the hierarchy for talking about our players being deconditioned (what do they know about it?) express the opinion themselves that they may be over-conditioned (what do they know about it?)!! The truth is only the fitness and conditioning staff would know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

That raekwon nelson looks some player !! 🔥 max bird looks very composed on the ball and had a very good pass on him, armstrong is a defenders nightmare not only string but can move the defense all over the place! Not a bad showing that game for our 2nd putting 

I didn’t see 2nd half today so glad he did well when he came on.  I’ve always been a little underwhelmed by him based on the hype.  He’s quick, but not really seen him show the technical ability that have been raved about.  Hoping the club put the full 90 up, so I can watch.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

He came into it more second half, saw a lot of the ball and his decision making was better. He had a very rusty first half - a few players took 20 minutes or so to get into it. 

The City tempo went up enormously in the second half and I thought we played well.

Bird and TGH controlled the game, Wells played a more withdrawn role and Armstrong deserved his well taken goal - like to see him as a wide forward rather than down the middle. 

Enjoyable game.

• Like 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You don't want to peak too early.

You want to reach peak fitness when the season kicks off. 

Guardiola will regularly treat the early premier league games as pre season games knowing that Man City will go long into the season. 

No offence but I will trust the experts to know what they are doing

Great to see you managing to find something negative from anything positive is going to continue again this season

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I only watched first half, then went to the pub for lunch (on my holibobbs)

Disappointing commitment levels Dave 😗 (hope you enjoyed your pint!) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transfer reader said:

Once again, already addressed this.

Keep up.

It seems you aren't up to the required fitness yet.

This is just silly. Not everybody reads everything the minute you put it up, and responds at the precise time you do. Work, family commitments, holidays, having a kip, visitors, etc,etc,etc.

Perhaps we should all have a ‘transferreader’ klaxon applied to our devices so that we can rush and attend to your VERY latest thought? 

• Confused 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Was absolutely delighted that he got off of the mark. 

Completely agree, I always think back to Steve Jones, he was absolutely awful with us, went away, got fitter, worked on his game (got a nice suntan) he scored in preseason etc and was a completely different player the following season

Have a feeling he will be a confidence player more than normal

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If we are at peak now..

Let's be honest we are nowhere near our peak, from the bits I saw I thought both teams were frantically running around much more than they would do normally, to me it was because it was an early preseason game and players are just keen to get going again

58 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I just put it down to eagerness being back on the pitch again

50 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Richard Gould, what a loss he was.

You can't beat experience and this line in the Piercy article when he left nails it.

Screenshot_20240723-162458_Chrome.thumb.jpg.902c89e8522c9134ad0ce1a45124830c.jpg

Demand the best, be ambitious, it helps to drive. Such a smart approach- and hiring the best you possibly can in all areas of the club, the Group helps with this.

He might have been a loss for us, but in cricketing circles he is getting hammered for all thing 100 at the moment, trying to get NFL owners involved has gone down like a lead balloon, all that glitters is not gold (or Gould)

47 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

How do you come to the conclusion that Rooney is a good coach?

He successfully ruined Birmingham and was a big reason they got relegated, I would say that was good

• Haha 4

• Admin
5 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Can we drop the seagull thing?

They are GULLS !!!🤨

It is more to do with the user being referenced, and Cantona did use the word "Seagulls" too

1 minute ago, bcdc said:

This is just silly. Not everybody reads everything the minute you put it up, and responds at the precise time you do. Work, family commitments, holidays, having a kip, visitors, etc,etc,etc.

Perhaps we should all have a ‘transferreader’ klaxon applied to our devices so that we can rush and attend to your VERY latest thought? 

Not at all. It was a joke because of how that poster was complaining about the players looking "too fit"

I also, generally, will read the rest of a thread before making a counter point to someone, particularly when that's literally to the bottom of the page at that time, or perhaps only one more page.

Caught twenty minutes of the first half where we dominated but were sloppy at times. Was on a course during the second half so missed a better performance by the sounds of it. Always good to get forwards scoring, even in pre season. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Completely agree, I always think back to Steve Jones, he was absolutely awful with us, went away, got fitter, worked on his game 

Don't you mean he went away to a tanning salon and spent the summer in there...?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

No offence but I will trust the experts to know what they are doing

Great to see you managing to find something negative from any is going to continue again this season

@Silvio Dante made the observation that we looked fit and sharp. 

I as a football fan agreed with that analysis but suggested that possibly at this stage of pre season we look a little too fit and sharp. It was a simple as that. 

Considering the injury problems we've had over a very long time then it's a valid subject to raise. 

Very few of us on here are football experts but that shouldn't stop us from making observations. 

If I wanted to bring up negitives then there is some bits from the performance that I could easily bring up, but haven't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

And this is where we will struggle. It won't take a brave move it would take a change of mindset at board level. Maverick openly stated in that 3 part interview in April that they only wanted people to come on board who saw things the same way they do.

It's not bravery we need, it's a bloody epiphany!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did Meerholz and OTC come on as subs today.  Hargreaves at BP saying they did?  Nothing on twitter updates???

No. Nelson and Ali came on, nobody else.

1 minute ago, Steve Watts said:

And this is where we will struggle. It won't take a brave move it would take a change of mindset at board level. Maverick openly stated in that 3 part interview in April that they only wanted people to come on board who saw things the same way they do.

Not sure what good a musical instrument will do, but go ahead

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did Meerholz and OTC come on as subs today.  Hargreaves at BP saying they did?  Nothing on twitter updates???

No, neither, unless Meerholz is the CB that replaced Atkinson. I didn't catch his name. 

• Thanks 1

Said it during the game but thought Naaki was outstanding in the no.10 role.

Always looking for the ball, kept popping it off nice and simple. A couple of good through balls, kept his position, never wasted a pass and kept the ball moving. (I missed the first half, so only assessing 2nd half)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Groupthink. Never a good thing in any workplace. I used to encourage my team in work to tell me if they disagreed with me or if they thought there was a better way of doing things. The organisation benefited as a result.

Insecure people or those with big egos want to be surrounded by yes men/women regardless of whether it produces the best results.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2