IGNORED

Aldershot Town pre-season friendly

Here’s a glimpse at our opponents Aldershot Town who we face in our third friendly with a 745 pm KO on Tuesday at the EBB Stadium.

If you want a ticket: https://app.fanbaseclub.com/Fan/Tickets/SelectType?fixtureId=5791

This is their fifth pre-season friendly, they are unbeaten having won three and drawn one, on Saturday they were two down and recovered to draw 2-2.

Over the years we have beaten them 22 times, drawn 18 and lost 9. Our last league meeting was back in 1989 (we won 1-0) and our biggest ever victory against them was 9-0 back in December 1946.

Sinclair Armstrong had a short loan spell with them in 2022 scoring twice in three appearances.

On March 25th 1992, Aldershot FC became the first Football League team to fold during the season since Accrington Stanley in 1962. From the ashes came phoenix club Aldershot Town, who were formed on April 22nd 1992 and were managed by ex-Aldershot FC centre back Steve Wignall. The “new” Shots began life in the Isthmian League Division 3.

The Recreation Ground, has a capacity of 7,100. The stadium's current sponsor is EBB Paper, therefore the ground is also known as The EBB Stadium at The Recreation Ground, however, it is affectionately known as 'The Rec'.

Ground guide: https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/conference/conference-premier/aldershot-town-recreation-ground.html#:~:text=The%20George%20–%20Wellington%20St%2C%20Aldershot,Ash%20Rd%2C%20Aldershot%20GU12%204EZ

Tommy Widdrington became Aldershot Town’s First Team Manager in April 2023. He enjoyed a long playing career in the Football League with an abundance of Premier League appearances with Southampton. In his non-playing career, he spent five years as manager of Eastbourne Borough and before joining Kings Lynn in December 2021, he had a number of roles at Bristol Rovers during a three-year spell.

Of course we have completed some recent business with them. On 7 July 2023 they signed Josh Stokes on a two year professional contract from AFC Sudbury for an undisclosed fee rumoured to be £5,000. He made a positive impact for the club in the first half of the 2023-24 season, scoring 16 goals in 31 appearances.heres a Shots perspective…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j_AAlnlgTg

Despite interests from various clubs, including Norwich City, on 22 January 2024 we completed the signing of Stokes on a three and a half year deal for an undisclosed fee, reported to be £250,000. Stokes was immediately loaned back to Aldershot for the remainder of the National League 2023-24 season, with Aldershot finishing the campaign in 8th spot.

Here’s his last Shots interview https://youtu.be/rnMySP5nw2U and some footage of him in action in 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM8IT0lOP7g

They recently signed Australian defender Lachlan Byrd! The centre-back has signed a one-year deal with the Shots…. https://www.theshots.co.uk/new-signing-lachlan-byrd/

In fact they’ve added lots of players over the last couple of months, details here: https://www.theshots.co.uk/tag/new-signing/

Pubs

CAMRA recommended: https://www1.camra.org.uk/pubs/location/51.2424/-0.75022?sort=nearest

Crimea Inn: https://www.crimeainn.co.uk/

The George, Wellington St, Aldershot GU11 1DX, https://www.craftunionpubs.com/george-aldershot

The Queen Hotel, 1 High St, Aldershot GU11 1BH (Spoons) https://hotels.jdwetherspoon.com/hotels/the-queen-hotel/

The Red Lion, 2 Ash Rd, Aldershot GU12 4EZ, https://www.great-british-pubs.co.uk/locations/east-of-england/hampshire/aldershot/red-lion-aldershot

IMG_5131.png

• Like 1

Thinking of attending but would be good to get some idea of how they’re planning to split the squad across the two games tomorrow. If this is more of a ‘development XI’ then, as interested as I am, it’s a bit far for a school night! 

42 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Thinking of attending but would be good to get some idea of how they’re planning to split the squad across the two games tomorrow. If this is more of a ‘development XI’ then, as interested as I am, it’s a bit far for a school night! 

Can’t ever be 100% sure but if I had to put money on it I’d think the stronger side would go to Aldershot, irrespective of them being a lower level. As a “proper” game as opposed to a behind closed doors training exercise it’s likely to have higher intensity and also as we agreed to the game as part of the Stokes deal, part of that would be that we’d bring a decent team along.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Can’t ever be 100% sure but if I had to put money on it I’d think the stronger side would go to Aldershot, irrespective of them being a lower level. As a “proper” game as opposed to a behind closed doors training exercise it’s likely to have higher intensity and also as we agreed to the game as part of the Stokes deal, part of that would be that we’d bring a decent team along.

Well that was my thinking too, but now I’m seeing that the Newport game has been selected for free coverage on Robins TV. Does that suggest to you the team might be stronger for that one? 

1 minute ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Well that was my thinking too, but now I’m seeing that the Newport game has been selected for free coverage on Robins TV. Does that suggest to you the team might be stronger for that one? 

As I’m going to Aldershot it’d bloody better not be 😂

I think it’s more that it’s a midday Tuesday game, not all schools have broken up as well so they’d have lower attendance/viewing expectations.

Also, as it’s the “all new” Robins TV the game is intended as a showcase of the new coverage and a test event of the platform (you can’t access through the app now as I understand it). Making it free means if there are (likely) teething issues you’re not in refund territory.

Good thing here is that as Newport is 12pm k/o you’ll know who’s involved there by half eleven and that can guide your decision as to whether to head to Aldershot.

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As I’m going to Aldershot it’d bloody better not be 😂

I think it’s more that it’s a midday Tuesday game, not all schools have broken up as well so they’d have lower attendance/viewing expectations.

Also, as it’s the “all new” Robins TV the game is intended as a showcase of the new coverage and a test event of the platform (you can’t access through the app now as I understand it). Making it free means if there are (likely) teething issues you’re not in refund territory.

Good thing here is that as Newport is 12pm k/o you’ll know who’s involved there by half eleven and that can guide your decision as to whether to head to Aldershot.

Excellent points, thank you. Yes, test event for the new Robins TV makes sense. 

Been to The Rec a gazillion times. 

Saw some notable games there. Mainly City but was there when The Sags had their good season in the early 70s. Was there for a cup tie with Brighton, a story I’ve told many times when two coppers walked into a packed Spoons and the Brighton started singing who let the pigs out! The coppers were really good sports laughing about it, although perhaps they didn’t have much choice. 😂 

Always kicked off there and I  have been hit by sundry missiles including a whiskey bottle and a shoe. 

We played there a few days before the Forest game. There were about 12 of us! I think that was the game Carl Shutt scored an immense scissor kick in injury time. Any of the other 11 able to confirm that? 

Edited by REDOXO

It's like a home fixture for me and it will make a pleasant change from a 4 hour round trip to Bristol 23 times each season. 😁

Better still, my son is Mascot for City, while the Children I coach on a Sunday are flagwavers for Aldershot. Both clubs have been amazing to make this happen. 

If Carlsberg did pre season friendlies ....

Only downside, is I'm sat in the Home end. 

Edited by Sandhurst Red
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Aldershot were the opponents on my first match at Ashton Gate.

And me! 1984 against them and a 2-1 win with goals from Tom Ritchie and Glyn Riley. My mum taped the goals off HTV the next day and I was convinced I could spot myself in the East End post the Ritchie penalty (I really couldn’t) so must have paused and rewound it hundreds of times to evidence it!

• Thanks 1

Been many times to Aldershot, and the two matches that stand out for me are. 

1. City pre season friendly, new manager Steve Coppell. So went there very excited with the new appointment. But watching his body language during the match i could tell he did not seem very happy, and i was right.

2. Aldershot v Wovels. I was trying to make my way around the south stand and because Wolves were going for promotion, Steve Bull days they brought many thousands of fans. The route to where i wanted to go was very crowd and we all came to a halt. I started to get nervious of being crushed but it all sorted it self out. At half time they annouced the half time scores, including the FA cup semi finals, all except one. We were told their was a delay at the Liverpool v Nottingham Forest match at Hillsborough. After the match back in my car with the radio on for the full time scores. I heard the scoking news.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, 88/89 season iirc

Four FA cup games in one month! Between December 10 and 22! The sides also drew at AG in the league in October!

The reward for coming out in top over the four games was a 3rd round trip to Hartlepool in January. A late dodgy penalty resulted in a 1-0 defeat. Weather was awful, it felt like we had the North Sea blowing into our faces for the entire game.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Looking at the Newport line up, looks like a strong team for Aldershot. Hope i can watch. Murphy, Mayulu, and Stokes.

Yep, looking forward to seeing Stokes and Murphy in particular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sugarwray said:

Four FA cup games in one month! Between December 10 and 22! The sides also drew at AG in the league in October!

The reward for coming out in top over the four games was a 3rd round trip to Hartlepool in January. A late dodgy penalty resulted in a 1-0 defeat. Weather was awful, it felt like we had the North Sea blowing into our faces for the entire game.

So that was 3 replays? Can you imagine the modern day manager now?!

4 hours ago, sugarwray said:

I'm obviously wrong but could have sworn it was Cambridge rather than Aldershot!

Edited by richwwtk

6 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I'm obviously wrong but could have sworn it was Cambridge rather than Aldershot!

We played Cambridge the following season, that was the 5th round after we had beaten Chelsea 3-1 in the fourth round. We lost 5-1 in the replay. If I remember correctly Bob Taylor was booked for simulation when his leg had been broken

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It will be useful.

Away game, further along into pre-season..different segment of the squad- in front of fans and are Aldershot unbeaten in pre season thusfar?

First proper look at Stokes too we hope.

Yeah I was glad to see Bird and Armstrong in action today (and impressed), and checking out Stokes, Mayulu and Murphy will be intriguing when it comes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm worried about this friendly... I really hope we don't look too fit, too sharp, score too many goals, press too well...

:whistle:

Yeah, lets hope we are pedestrian and get stuffed 0-4, then peak around January.

5 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Just parked up near the ground, pleasantly warm and the local forecast is dry.  Enjoy,all 👍

Keep us up to date.

Its like back in the early 80s - no TV, no stream, no commentary, and no Green 'Un (was that still printing in the 80s).

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

I'm a bit too old to trawl through the Newport thread. Anyone got a duffer's guide to which first team regulars/ fringers are likely to turn out this evening? TIA

Max

Vyner Dickie Naismith Pring 

Knight Williams

Cornick Stokes Bell

Mayulu

something like that probably

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

I'm a bit too old to trawl through the Newport thread. Anyone got a duffer's guide to which first team regulars/ fringers are likely to turn out this evening? TIA

This was the side against Newport, so any not listed here.

I'd expect Stokes to get a run out against his old side, would hope Fally is starting as well.

20240723_171712.jpg

• Thanks 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, mozo said:

I'm worried about this friendly... I really hope we don't look too fit, too sharp, score too many goals, press too well...

:whistle:

Aldershot are a few games ahead of us, so that will be an interesting benchmark

• Like 2

Aldershot are well into their pre-season with (as far as I can make out) four games played winning 4-3, 5-1, and 5-0, with a 2-2 draw last time out. All against lower opposition, but should give us a good work out.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

This was the side against Newport, so any not listed here.

I'd expect Stokes to get a run out against his old side, would hope Fally is starting as well.

20240723_171712.jpg

So by a process of elimination we could see:

O'Leary

Dickie, Roberts, Vyner, Pring (in some sort of order)

Williams, Knight, Stokes (presumably him playing was part of the deal), Naismith

Fally, Cornick

I think all of those are fit. Then Benarous on the bench with some U23s.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

O'Leary

Williams, Knight, Stokes (presumably him playing was part of the deal), Naismith

Fally, Cornick

Something like that, with Murphy in or on the bench too. Unless I've missed an injury.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

O'Leary

Fally, Cornick

Bell ?

2 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Something like that, with Murphy in or on the bench too. Unless I've missed an injury.

I’ve got a weird feeling he’s injured having not seen him on any Wolves pictures. Fingers crossed I’m wrong!

6 hours ago, sugarwray said:

Went to that game as well. The only good thing about the day, apart from finally getting home, was the hot meat and potato pasties available in the away end. Nearly bought a couple to slip on my feet.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

O'Leary

Fally, Cornick

That smacks of a bit lopsided really?

How do we fit that into a balanced and cohesive shape..suppose we could play Vyner as a narrow right back in a back 4 starting point.

Beyond that I'm struggling a little.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Still hamstrung isn't he? 

I may well have missed his recovery.

I thought I saw him in the picture gallery from the Wolves game.

Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Likewise tbh. There's one photo from that game that I think is him tbh. If he's fit then he'll play a part I'm sure.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That smacks of a bit lopsided really?

It's a friendly that we're playing due to contractual obligation. I'm not really bothered about the balance, shape, formation, structure etc of the side. Run around a lot, try and score some goals, make friends, and get fit.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's a friendly that we're playing due to contractual obligation. I'm not really bothered about the balance, shape, formation, structure etc of the side. Run around a lot, try and score some goals, make friends, and get fit.

Well that's fine, just hope we are better structured thereafter. Tonight doesn't matter too much.