IGNORED

Aldershot Town pre-season friendly

23 minutes ago, GrenadaRed said:

That was a couple of years ago and nothing came of it. He’s been at city for a while now. Two seasons from memory.

He’s been playing U16’s for City, so think he’s more one for the future, not now. He is physically strong though, despite not being that big. 

Based on tonight he was given a chance (the only youth to get 30 mins from bench) and took it. Should be in and around the next few pre season games in my opinion, see if he can cut the mustard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I take the point but my gut feeling for a while has been.

*Wells- Elder statesman, reliable head.

*Young striker- for both the her3 and now and hopefully some time.

*Prime striker- 24-28, both here and now but could evolve into an elder statesman if it goes well.

I agree with you Pop and I have a feeling most of OTIB will as well in time

Nothing wrong with Mayulu or Arnstong as the development option. Mayulu and Armstrong as our main striker purchases is wrong vibes for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Thinking back from Yamal wasn't that wonder kid Freddy Adu around, 16 when he started playing. 

Officially made his MLS debut at 14. That record got broken really recently.

36 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Just finished scrolling through Aldershot’s Twitter page, have I missed much?

The financial crash, The Queen died and Charlie crowned, Trump elected, Brexit, Cameron resigned, Boris elected, Covid, Pearson appointed and subsequently sacked and Tommy training with the U21s.

Other than that you've not missed much.

• Like 3

Just now, downendcity said:

The financial crash, The Queen died and Charlie crowned, Trump elected, Brexit, Cameron resigned, Boris elected, Covid, Pearson appointed and subsequently sacked and Tommy training with the U21s.

Other than that you've not missed much.

Who is this Tommy you speak of?

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I take the point but my gut feeling for a while has been.

*Wells- Elder statesman, reliable head. Invaluable experience.

*Young striker- for both the here and now and hopefully some time.

*Prime striker- 24-28, both here and now but could evolve into an elder statesman if it goes well.

Strikers are expensive. It is very hard to find solutions, every club wants one. We have just signed 2 new players, who have been extensively scouted and analysed. Maybe one will come through, or we are not scouting or analysing well enough. Of course, if we are struggling we still have TC under contract, playing for the reserves, and he is valued at many millions. 

3 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

Strikers are expensive. It is very hard to find solutions, every club wants one. We have just signed 2 new players, who have been extensively scouted and analysed. Maybe one will come through, or we are not scouting or analysing well enough. Of course, if we are struggling we still have TC under contract, playing for the reserves, and he is valued at many millions. 

Well I won't labour the point but it will be interesting to see how many the one who QPR purchased post the Sinclair sale, for a similar price to Sinclair- from the Swiss League- age 25- scores. He has quite a competitive record.

Serious question do you think TC will ever play for us again? I'm not sure, he wasn't even picked for the U21s tonight.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

We did once spend £5m on Wells, and he is still with us. We have just signed 2 new forwards, after extensive scouting. We have Sam Bell too.  There are limits to what we can do. 

… and that limit will be fighting Preston, again, for 12th spot unless we’ve uncovered a real attacking gem for 2024/25 from one, or more, of those four.

You need a 15-20 goal striker to make a real impact. The danger is if your forwards don’t score consistently, team performance tends to drop off first with the suppliers, then in the engine room and, finally, in defence. Been there too many times with this Club.

Hopefully, we have a cunning plan to get a quality striker in, or our analysis /recruiters have delivered and our coaches will shape the goal getter who’ll be up to speed for the season’s start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

… and that limit will be fighting Preston, again, for 12th spot unless we’ve uncovered a real attacking gem for 2024/25 from one, or more, of those four.

You need a 15-20 goal striker to make a real impact. The danger is if your forwards don’t score consistently, team performance tends to drop off first with the suppliers, then in the engine room and, finally, in defence. Been there too many times with this Club.

Hopefully, we have a cunning plan to get a quality striker in, or our analysis /recruiters have delivered and our coaches will shape the goal getter who’ll be up to speed for the season’s start.

Possibly the balance is here and now vs development..a bit more skewed towards the latter especially up front.

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Ipswich went up last season without one.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

10-15 can suffice if you also have goals throughout the side, and or more than 1 striker who gets that.

Broadhead missed periods of the season.

I agree with this. I can easily see one of the main attackers getting 10-15, with more goals being shared around the midfield.

5 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Big season for him. I’m hopeful he can really grasp it and kick on. 

I know he has been doing a lot of gym work while in recovery, maybe that will help him in the areas that @Davefevsfeels he is lacking?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

What a brilliant evening at Aldershot tonight. 

Our manager and our players are a credit to the club - all making a real effort and engaging with my son, asking him questions and taking time to listen to him etc. Chatting with Liam for a little time, gives me great optimism for our long term future. 

The club can often get criticism for things that they do wrong, but should be recognised when doing things right. As a fan of over 40 years, I'm about as proud as I could be to support this club tonight.

IMG20240723184411.jpg

And a short ride home! Nice. Glad you and the kids enjoyed it!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well I won't labour the point but it will be interesting to see how many the one who QPR purchased post the Sinclair sale, for a similar price to Sinclair- from the Swiss League- age 25- scores. He has quite a competitive record.

Serious question do you think TC will ever play for us again? I'm not sure, he wasn't even picked for the U21s tonight.

I said, we scouted and analysed our targets. If they do not work, and QPR got the better deal, then we know where to look. I do not know. Though Mayulu and Sinclair have promise, even if the selling clubs were happy to sell, as they both feel they got better replacements for the money. I have no idea. The Mayulu we needed was the brother at PSG. 

But we have said we targeted these players, scouted them extensively, and are working to a plan with Manning. I have never seen any of them play. I just hope nthey are better that Dire who Manning had scouted extensively. The player who should shine though is Bird. We have been following him for years. 

TC will never play for us again. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, kidjupiter said:

Ipswich went up last season without one.

Exactly. My pet peev here and has been for years, it’s not about “strikers” it’s about forwards. 

Mr Manning in particular wants a forward that brings others in. Our fate is about increasing goals from midfield in particular but everywhere overall. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

I said, we scouted and analysed our targets. If they do not work, and QPR got the better deal, then we know where to look. I do not know. Though Mayulu and Sinclair have promise, even if the selling clubs were happy to sell, as they both feel they got better replacements for the money. I have no idea. The Mayulu we needed was the brother at PSG. 

But we have said we targeted these players, scouted them extensively, and are working to a plan with Manning. I have never seen any of them play. I just hope nthey are better that Dire who Manning had scouted extensively. The player who should shine though is Bird. We have been following him for years. 

TC will never play for us again. 

I think we are cross-purposes to an extent but we have a different take and that is fine.

Do I think they will be good signings? Yes, I'm hopeful. Do I think they are likely to both not the ground running and shine, less clear-cut.

I recall Bird being linked in August last year, maybe we have been tracking for longer.

Yes TC will surely never play for us again.

33 minutes ago, RedRock said:

we were closer to the third from the bottom than third from top, by some distance. That is the life of a non PP club. Every season you are not sure if you are going to sneak a 5th or 6th place, or face a relegation battle. The strikers we have are the strikers we are starting the season with, less TC. We might get Twine, bit what you see is what you get. We have signed 2 strikers. That is the plan. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

we were closer to the third from the bottom than third from top, by some distance. That is the life of a non PP club. Every season you are not sure if you are going to sneak a 5th or 6th place, or face a relegation battle. The strikers we have are the strikers we are starting the season with, less TC. We might get Twine, bit what you see is what you get. We have signed 2 strikers. That is the plan. 

How many Parachute Payments bolstered clubs do you think there are this year?

I'm not seriously worried about the drop, with the possible small caveat being the changing of the guard up front this summer.

59 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I agree with you Pop and I have a feeling most of OTIB will as well in time

Nothing wrong with Mayulu or Arnstong as the development option. Mayulu and Armstrong as our main striker purchases is wrong vibes for me. 

I don’t.  Age is just a number.

I’m more aligned to @RollsRoyce, we’ve put these players through the Recruitment Sausage Machine / Process.  In Mayulu’s case to fit the more physical no9 who can stretch the play.  Conway’s situation has allowed them to go and get Armstrong, who I’m more than happy about.

If we are gonna go after the age group @Mr Popodopolous talks about, then to get a striker of the sort of quality we need, ie kinda proven, is gonna cost more than we can spend, unless we can find a free transfer.  Maybe Tyrese Campbell, on a free transfer, but they are few and far between.

I always revert to “it’s a squad game”, players like Mayulu (22) and Armstrong (21) are likely to dip in and out of form, but that’s why we have Wells.  Someone in the game told me he’s lost none of his pace, and I think perversely we have seen a very decent Wells in the last 2 years, and I see no reason why he can’t still be a good team player and decent enough goalscorer at 34.  Today he played a secondary striker role and looked really at home (albeit against Newport).  Add Bell (22) into the mix and Cornick (29) too.

All our signings to a large extent are development signings…but that’s not to say they aren’t ready now, the development bit is about how much they can grow - possibly beyond City.

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. My pet peev here and has been for years, it’s not about “strikers” it’s about forwards. 

Mr Manning in particular wants a forward that brings others in. Our fate is about increasing goals from midfield in particular but everywhere overall. 

Here’s a bold prediction for you.  I predict Dickie and Atkinson will score 10 goals or more between them this season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Right, back and after clearly a longer drive than some ;)

Tbh the full time position isn’t massively different from half time. Second half though, particularly in the early stages, Aldershot came at us more and we stood up well - one excellent save from Max from a free kick.

Cam’s goal is a bit of an illustration of what I said half time about not playing a particular formation. He was in the centre of the box and it wasn’t from a free kick, it was open play and he found himself up there and it wasn’t the first time. There was definite licence to roam again and Cam was excellent throughout.

Fally second half was better but still not great - it seemed to be a confidence thing to me, epitomised when the ball broke to him on the edge of the box and was coming sweetly to strike but he turned the shot down. A striker even with reasonable confidence hits that every time and it probably worried me most about his performance - there may be ability there, and he is a unit, but it’s just a small sign that you wonder if the performance tonight was a bit of trying too hard and feeling a bit of pressure of the fee. He’s a young guy in a new country so would totally be understandable.

Stokes again second half carried on in a lot of the same vein but did fade a touch. However, I’ll reiterate he recieves the ball, every time, on the turn or half turn and as such immediately instigates forward motion. I’m very hopeful we have a player there for the number 10 role.

Pecover was a great surprise - and as someone who has been vocal about Liams lack of confidence in youth, it was good to see him be given half an hour which I think proved they have a bit of belief in him (as comparison, the more established Backwell got five minutes out of position). The thing about him for me was that he didn’t look sixteen - he looked physically well up to it. I’m not comparing him to Scott as that’s folly, other than to state AS was the last “kid” I saw come into the side that looked immediately physically able to cope. Pecover was in that space, and was a great spark in the last half hour.

Again, good workout overall.

Just got back to Clevedon @Silvio Dante so you beat me at least.

Quite a few missing from the squads today. Vyner, Roberts and Murphy, I'm guessing have knocks or strains?

Conway is persona non grata, but I'm interested in whether Cornick is injured or possibly on the move?

Anyhow good solid game and even JJ had a better second half. Fally improved as Aldershot tired, he looks young, but there's definitely a player there. Very leggy and takes a while to get up to speed, not quick like an Armstrong (but very few are of course).

My only gripe from today's games are the selections around Morrison and Sykes.

Sykes is a Rwb/Rw, Morriston is a lwb/lw . Both are very one footed for me and yet Manning chose to play Sykes as a Lwb against Newport and Morrison on the Rw against Aldershot.

It made absolutely no sense to me, I would much rather have watched them play in their accustomed positions and having Sykes to his right would probably have assisted Fally a bit more tonight in fairness.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Quite a few missing from the squads today. Vyner, Roberts and Murphy, I'm guessing have knocks or strains?

Conway is persona non grata, but I'm interested in whether Cornick is injured or possibly on the move?

Or helping feeding his new baby ?

• Like 1

Well that was fun! Quirky little ground; especially enjoyed the outside bar set amidst the trees. 
A bit of a makeshift XI but all about minutes in the legs. 
Couldn’t really understand Bell playing left with Morrison right, when the latter clearly favours his left foot and rarely went down the line. Bell was bright and looked right up for it; was good to see him back. 
Knight looked strong and thought Naismith was tidy too. 

Fally looks to enjoy coming short, laying off and then spinning forward, but at times he didn’t appear to get into the box quick enough to be on the end of a cross. I’m sure it’ll come with time as he develops an understanding with other players. 

As others have said, Pecover was a real surprise highlight in his cameo appearance! He’s going to be an exciting prospect. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Or helping feeding his new baby ?

Didn't know that. Fair enough if that's the case.

I know Hogg said transfers weren't his remit and nothing has changed with Conway; but it would have been nice to update us on the other absentees across the two games.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

He’s a really excellent finisher is Sam. Excited to see him utilised more centrally this season. 

Sammy is in my opinion the most natural finisher at this club. 

Really happy for him that he got a goal on his return from injury. Great way to start the season. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Anyhow good solid game and even JJ had a better second half. Fally improved as Aldershot tired, he looks young, but there's definitely a player there. Very leggy and takes a while to get up to speed, not quick like an Armstrong (but very few are of course).

My only gripe from today's games are the selections around Morrison and Sykes.

Sykes is a Rwb/Rw, Morriston is a lwb/lw . Both are very one footed for me and yet Manning chose to play Sykes as a Lwb against Newport and Morrison on the Rw against Aldershot.

It made absolutely no sense to me, I would much rather have watched them play in their accustomed positions and having Sykes to his right would probably have assisted Fally a bit more tonight in fairness.

Interesting stuff.

Would just say though Neil that Sykes actually played on the left of a midfield 4 v Newport (we had a back four of McCrorie, Tanner, Atkinson & Campbell-Slowey), not as a LWB.

This playing wide midfielders off their weaker foot is a “thing”, (remember Joe Cole doing it back in the day), not a fan myself but it isn’t unusual.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

What was young Pecover? like. what position does he play? is he good enough to be a first team squad player. I know he only played 30 mins. as showed by spain in the euros age means nothing.

Mate, I’m not getting at you but you’re literally posting on the thread where this has been asked and people have detailed how old he is, what they know of his background, where he played and how he played. Just read the thread - it’s as much as any of us know.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting stuff.

Would just say though Neil that Sykes actually played on the left of a midfield 4 v Newport (we had a back four of McCrorie, Tanner, Atkinson & Campbell-Slowey), not as a LWB.

This playing wide midfielders off their weaker foot is a “thing”, (remember Joe Cole doing it back in the day), not a fan myself but it isn’t unusual.

Niclas Elliasson was a good example of an inverted wide man for us albeit we have nobody even close to being able to replicate his role in our squad, nowhere near it. "Inverted" wide men do seem to be a current coaching fad, no doubt aided and abetted by analysts getting into coaches ears with some stat or other. If they can do what Saka does and go off either foot that's fine by me otherwise I reckon it's a piece of piss to defend against, particularly when you are talking about players who aren't good enough to play in the Prem. In many instances you just show them down the line and laugh as they to hit some old bloke in row Z behind the goal with the "cross".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Fally second half was better but still not great - it seemed to be a confidence thing to me, epitomised when the ball broke to him on the edge of the box and was coming sweetly to strike but he turned the shot down. A striker even with reasonable confidence hits that every time and it probably worried me most about his performance - there may be ability there, and he is a unit, but it’s just a small sign that you wonder if the performance tonight was a bit of trying too hard and feeling a bit of pressure of the fee. He’s a young guy in a new country so would totally be understandable.

Interesting your points about Mayulu. I recall reading an article in the Post from the Rapid Vienna side saying exactly the same - that he appeared to be low on confidence initially but gradually grew into the season. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/fally-mayulu-bristol-city-robins-9374527.amp

I think of all the signings, he’s likely to need the most time to settle in and show what he’s really capable of.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed last night, from a very strange walking through the town, very weird pub but ending up in a good one after all, meeting some really great City lot, shout out to @JackofromSanJavier great hat mate 😂 weather was fantastic, for a short trip it was a nightmare to get to but now on route to work, feeling good, see you lot at Willem II ❤️

20 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Interesting your points about Mayulu. I recall reading an article in the Post from the Rapid Vienna side saying exactly the same - that he appeared to be low on confidence initially but gradually grew into the season. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/fally-mayulu-bristol-city-robins-9374527.amp

I think of all the signings, he’s likely to need the most time to settle in and show what he’s really capable of.

Yeah I’d agree. If I look at the two strikers brought in, clearly based on minutes played per game and record overall neither can immediately expect to be the “main man” - we’re not signing a Kodjia or a Wells where reputation demands that. It goes with what I said the other day about the signings this summer being punts - exciting ones in part, yes, but punts. Have as much chance of going wrong as going right, and I include Stokes in that who I really liked on first viewing.

The other thing on confidence is this. Fally, as our major summer signing (to date) is excepted in part to replace Conway. So, he’s being pitched up in part as a guy to replace someone who is an international, top scorer two years running and the club want top dollar for. That has to add mental pressure and we’ve seen with Medube how the club can over-egg players in recent times. I’m happy to see how Fally develops, but again, he wouldn’t be human if the thought “**** that’s what I have to replace” ekes in.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah I’d agree. If I look at the two strikers brought in, clearly based on minutes played per game and record overall neither can immediately expect to be the “main man” - we’re not signing a Kodjia or a Wells where reputation demands that. It goes with what I said the other day about the signings this summer being punts - exciting ones in part, yes, but punts. Have as much chance of going wrong as going right, and I include Stokes in that who I really liked on first viewing.

The other thing on confidence is this. Fally, as our major summer signing (to date) is excepted in part to replace Conway. So, he’s being pitched up in part as a guy to replace someone who is an international, top scorer two years running and the club want top dollar for. That has to add mental pressure and we’ve seen with Medube how the club can over-egg players in recent times. I’m happy to see how Fally develops, but again, he wouldn’t be human if the thought “**** that’s what I have to replace” ekes in.

The thing that struck me about Fally last night @Silvio Dante is he seemed to be a very similar type player to Seb Palmer Houlden in his build and set up play.

I know Seb has got a fantastic loan opportunity in Scotland (scored again last night in the League Cup), but he looks a bit more advanced in his understanding of our team systems and patterns of play (to be expected of course) and dare i say it a bit quicker.

Fally looked like what he was, a young player getting used to a new team, environment and as mentioned the way we play. However as a starting number 9, for me he is a couple of months off at least. He has a leggy, lopping style of running that means that he will need to be on the move earlier as his initial acceleration is not great This will come with anticipation and understanding, but I can only see Wells or Armstrong being our starting number 9s for at least the first month of the season (injuries permitting).

• Like 1

After a good nights sleep and reading through the comments which i echo. I still would like to make a few comments on last night.

Aldershot surprised me they realy had a go at us,, with some fast direct play. As some said number 3 Harfield was very impressive.

Max had little to do, but pulled off onegreat save.

Stokes wanted to impressive his old fans and he did. He is smaller and rounder than i imagend, looks a good signing,

Fally keept asking for the ball when he got he held up and linked up well. But on two occations when he should have shoot he took to long and the chance was gone. The one shoot he did have end up on top of the roof. I am shore the coaching staff will improve him over time.

Morrison was busy but lost the ball a number of time. He seemed to want to do everything at 100mph. I feel he needs to slow it down a little and it will be more productive.

Like all who were there when he came on we were asking who is this. By the end of the night we all knew who Pecover is. Very impressive, cant believe he is 16. He looks a little like Stokes, i thought he was around 21-22.  He still  has another 2 to 3 years growth to come. I am certain he will have his good days and some bad days. But he is one for the future.

All in all a good pre season fixture.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Nah far from writing him off, he is a young lad in a new league but we surely do need someone more established as well

We got Cornick , he established 👀

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thanks for the reports Silv!

Your comments on Mayulu are really interesting and that insight about the shot he didn't take on is pretty telling, as you say.

I know we are only discussing two of our earliest friendlies here, so shouldn't read to much into them, but it's interesting that of the two new attackers that we signed, Armstrong is the one that hit the ground running. To me he looked very capable of leading the line. Contrast that with Fally, who may need a little longer to adjust, and we have an intriguing battle for that position.

Do you think Stokes could be a shout for the Twine position?

Edited by mozo
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How old was Alex Scott when he played for Guernsey?

Feeling he might have been 16. Down the Non League but that grounding- physical centre backs, heavier pitches etc.

It wass said in jest after watching the young Spanish lad in the euros 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting stuff.

Thanks for clarifying @GrahamC I was at work earlier, so didn't see the Newport game.

Manning is a bit bizarre in his handling of Sykes isn't he? Obviously the signing of Hirakawa means his game time might be curtailed again.

This incessant playing the left footed on the right and vice Vera, doesn't really work for me.

Opportunities to get the goaline and pull it back (think Pring from the second half of the 22/23 season) seemed to be spurned on the basis of cutting back onto their strongest foot, before an attempt to play an impossible inside ball.

It's all very transparent from a defending point of view (the way we defended Jack Clarke of Sunderland this season with the double block is a good example).

I think sometimes Manager's look at players like Saka and Salah who are able to do it atva top level and try to integrate it at our level, with as we say somewhat mixed results.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Thanks for the reports Silv!

Your comments on Mayulu are really interesting and that insight about the shot he didn't take on is pretty telling, as you say.

I know we are only discussing two of our earliest friendlies here, so shouldn't read to much into them, but it's interesting that of the two new attackers that we signed, Armstrong is the one that hit the ground running. To me he looked very capable of leading the line. Contrast that with Fally, who may need a little longer to adjust, and we have an intriguing battle for that position.

Do you think Stokes could be a shout for the Twine position?

I think in view of the former, @NcnsBcfc summed it up nicely. The only thing I’d add there is it plays to my thinking that we’re mid table - based on record to date and need to develop we’ve probably (short term at least) downgraded from Conway to one of Armstrong/Fally. Not saying they won’t be better eventually, but they’ll need time - and as I keep saying with our signings, we are in gamble territory with each of them!

As for Stokes, it’s very difficult to say. The thing I didn’t mention is that he had a bit of an “edge” to him as well as he got a bit of (friendly) treatment. The thing that has to be remembered is that was a game against NL standard, and similar to Twine with Rotherham, we know he can do it against that level. However, the “behaviours” (Shudder) are good and as I keep coming back to, he recieves and transitions well. It’s a player who I can see definite potential in so could I, from limited viewing and the reports in training see him doing a job at our level? It’s definitely possible.

What I’d be doing if I were Manning is parking the Twine deal for now and see how Josh does in the friendlies in the next week to see how far away he is. I haven’t seen enough of Twine as I’ve said to suggest he’s a player we really should sign, and if Stokes is considered to be at 80% of where Twine is now with potential upside, there is a sensible longer term decision to be made.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

Really interesting that Leo Pecover had a run out. It's come from nowhere really as he's not been one of the hyped-up youngsters but i'm not surprised he coped so well. He hasn't played up above his age-group (he's now a 1st year scholar) a huge amount but whenever i've seen him he has impressed me. He generally plays as a number 10 normally but can play further forward aswell. Very direct, pacey, strong as an ox deffo one to watch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like this Pecover lad is one to give some more meaningful minutes and see whether last night was a one off (it was National League opposition before we go overboard) or whether he shows more and we can integrate him into the Matchday squad. Sometimes, albeit rarely, things fall on your lap that you weren’t expecting. Similarly with Stokes, is he the type that will do it alongside better players and make an impact at a higher level or does he need time to get up to the level he would be playing at week in, week out?

By the way, that Bell finish was technically excellent, doesn’t matter who the opposition was.

Edited by Numero Uno

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Sounds like this Pecover lad is one to give some more meaningful minutes and see whether last night was a one off (it was National League opposition before we go overboard) or whether he shows more and we can integrate him into the Matchday squad. Sometimes, albeit rarely, things fall on your lap that you weren’t expecting. Similarly with Stokes, is he the type that will do it alongside better players and make an impact at a higher level or does he need time to get up to the level he would be playing at week in, week out?

By the way, that Bell finish was technically excellent, doesn’t matter who the opposition was.

To be fair @Numero Uno he both reminded me physically and the way he played of Bennarous. Small, stocky, bit of an initial turn of pace and playing in that freedom way that young players do, before they get coached to death and their individuality taken away.

Shout out to Jack Griffin as well. Playing for Bridgwater under 18s last season, now 10 mins with the 1st team. Like Pecover above, a bit fearless, in his case in a humorous way. There was a high ball where he came through about 4 players in order to be first to it as some pace, completely missed the ball, ended up sprawled on the ground with the game carrying on 10 yards away from him. You could see Dickie's face "Ah, kids" 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

To be fair @Numero Uno he both reminded me physically and the way he played of Bennarous. Small, stocky, bit of an initial turn of pace and playing in that freedom way that young players do, before they get coached to death and their individuality taken away.

Shout out to Jack Griffin as well. Playing for Bridgwater under 18s last season, now 10 mins with the 1st team. Like Pecover above, a bit fearless, in his case in a humorous way. There was a high ball where he came through about 4 players in order to be first to it as some pace, completely missed the ball, ended up sprawled on the ground with the game carrying on 10 yards away from him. You could see Dickie's face "Ah, kids" 🤣

Jack Griffin is one of the Guernsey imports, brought in as a striker but played RWB for the 18's  a lot last season. Jack Hooper was with Bridgwater last season (LCB came on for 21's last night). You're right about Pecover, has a bit of Bennarous about him but physically stronger I would say.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, COYR's said:

Jack Griffin is one of the Guernsey imports, brought in as a striker but played RWB for the 18's  a lot last season. Jack Hooper was with Bridgwater last season (LCB came on for 21's last night). You're right about Pecover, has a bit of Bennarous about him but physically stronger I would say.

My Apologies, you are quite correct.

Well Jack was enthusiastic, let's put it that way 😂 

• Haha 1

There have been discussions around right-footed players being selected on the left and left-footed players being selected on the right.  I seem to have a distant memory of a left-footed winger Bristol City had who scored 26 goals in season 2002/3 and who was mostly played on the right.  The trademark goals were from cuttin in and shooting from the edge of the area.  His name escapes me, but if it helps he looked like a younger version of our kitman.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I hope we don’t see them as punts.

I’m not being facetious here but these aren’t Garita £50k punts, but our top targets positionally and at the top / near the top of of priority list.

I don’t mind the settling in stuff, but there will be greater expectations of signings that cost the amounts they have across the season.

Re Armstrong I know what we are getting and of course he’s played this level, so easy to judge off the bat.

Mayulu less so.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not being facetious here but these aren’t Garita £50k punts, but our top targets positionally and at the top / near the top of of priority list.

I don’t mind the settling in stuff, but there will be greater expectations of signings that cost the amounts they have across the season.

Re Armstrong I know what we are getting and of course he’s played this level, so easy to judge off the bat.

Mayulu less so.

Might be that my expectations are lower than the boards!

It’s important to state I’m not unhappy with the signings, but with any of the deals that have been done so far the gamble level is pretty high (other than arguably Bird). I like Armstrongs pace and power - raw edges to knock off but definitely needs to improve scoring record and that’s the gamble. Fally I think the EP article linked is key - he is very much a gamble as well. 

Punts may be strong - gambles I don’t think is. 

We could be looking in 12 months time in wonderment at the recruitment we did - but it’s very much one that can go either way, irrespective of how near the signings were to the top of our list.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, wybmadwity said:

There have been discussions around right-footed players being selected on the left and left-footed players being selected on the right.  I seem to have a distant memory of a left-footed winger Bristol City had who scored 26 goals in season 2002/3 and who was mostly played on the right.  The trademark goals were from cuttin in and shooting from the edge of the area.  His name escapes me, but if it helps he looked like a younger version of our kitman.

How is this a debate about right footers playing on the left when Mehmeti is also right footed? My post was me wondering why Sykes was on the left and Mehmeti was on the right when I believe they are both more effective on the other side.

I could later see the thinking though, as I also posted yesterday, because Manning clearly wanted Sykes as the width on the left, McCrorie on the right and Mehmeti and Wells becoming the "dual-10s" which he (and a lot of other young managers) likes

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wybmadwity said:

are you suggesting Scotty was left footed? It was his self proclaimed 'swinger'! So called after he swung one in over Boro's Schwarzer in the cup game. Brilliant 2-2 draw that day, GJ vs Southgate

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, wybmadwity said:

Memory playing tricks? Murray was not left footed.

Sykes is much better on the right, I've never seen him have a good game on the left. Mehmeti I dont rate on either side, or the middle! But if he had to play anywhere he's stronger on the left, cutting in. 

Edited by Puckle_red
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mayulu less so.

Certainly in Armstrong's case you would call it an "educated" risk in that you can see what the lad has got and it's surely a case of us being more prepared to put in the hard yards and improve him quickly than QPR are. If you improve the lad's hold-up play and finishing then there is a player in there who can cause a lot of damage, I don't think there's much doubt about that. I would hope that Mayulu is further down the track in the "work needed" regard given what we paid for the lad.

Bird, as expected, is a replacement for James and the likes of Murphy and Stokes are more genuine "punts". We also need Bell, Tanner and TGH to kick on this season. However, whichever way you dice it and slice it, the recruitment does not smack of a club "going for it" and EXPECTING to challenge the top 6 this season. The posters that defend the club to the hilt fail to recognise that 9 months or so ago our hierarchy were talking about bombing out the previous manager to give us a greater chance of success, the context of that seemed to be in the short term and one of them (the finance bloke) was talking about PROMOTION in that regard......they didn't say "a greater chance of success in the next two to three years".

I can see a situation occurring, if Manning does start to get the ball rolling, where the manager says "back me or I'm ******* off".

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Punts may be strong - gambles I don’t think is. 

The only gamble should be their ability to settle in….the gamble shouldn’t be on their ability / fit to how we want them to play.  That’s why we watch them “a lot”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The only gamble should be their ability to settle in….the gamble shouldn’t be on their ability / fit to how we want them to play.  That’s why we watch them “a lot”.

Yeah I'm with you on this Fevs. These aren't punts and shouldn't be gambles either. 

Fair enough, they're not as guaranteed as say Baker,Kalas and Weimann who had already done it at this level or higher.

But these players have been identified and analysed as being, A/ good enough for this level, B/ potential to improve, C/ fit the system, D/ the right mindset.

Just because Yu and Fally come from a different 'market', that isn't deemed to be a problem. 

We shouldn't have such a skeptical outlook either, because as you and I have mentioned before, the recruitment is pretty good right now. Sykes, Knight and Roberts are all recent examples of good talent ID and getting ahead of rivals.

I think most of us can get behind the profiles of Bird and Stokes, and I don't know why any of the others should be seen as us rolling the dice.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2