IGNORED

Aldershot Town pre-season friendly

Just watched the goals back, Bells goal was a beauty - brought it down with his right foot and lobbed the keeper with his left. Prings header was pretty good as well. 

Any updates on the absentees from the game excluding Cornick ?

I really hope Benarous is ok.

Ultimately it feels to me like a midtable, top 10 season as it stands. Bird seems here and now, the rest?

Some scope for building, reasonable number of players aged 25 and under plus JKL, S-P-H and Yeboah all may develop on loan. 

We don't necessarily (IMO) have enough for the here and now for a genuine top 6 push.

4 hours ago, mozo said:

Do you think Stokes could be a shout for the Twine position?

Not if Twine is here. He looks like a chunkier Twine, and yes I mistook Pecover for Stokes several times too. 

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think in view of the former, @NcnsBcfc summed it up nicely. The only thing I’d add there is it plays to my thinking that we’re mid table - based on record to date and need to develop we’ve probably (short term at least) downgraded from Conway to one of Armstrong/Fally. Not saying they won’t be better eventually, but they’ll need time - and as I keep saying with our signings, we are in gamble territory with each of them!

As for Stokes, it’s very difficult to say. The thing I didn’t mention is that he had a bit of an “edge” to him as well as he got a bit of (friendly) treatment. The thing that has to be remembered is that was a game against NL standard, and similar to Twine with Rotherham, we know he can do it against that level. However, the “behaviours” (Shudder) are good and as I keep coming back to, he recieves and transitions well. It’s a player who I can see definite potential in so could I, from limited viewing and the reports in training see him doing a job at our level? It’s definitely possible.

What I’d be doing if I were Manning is parking the Twine deal for now and see how Josh does in the friendlies in the next week to see how far away he is. I haven’t seen enough of Twine as I’ve said to suggest he’s a player we really should sign, and if Stokes is considered to be at 80% of where Twine is now with potential upside, there is a sensible longer term decision to be made.

I know what you mean about Stokes having a bit of an "Edge". You can see he's still learning from a defensive point of view, it was only 2 years ago he was at step 9. He sometimes gets his positioning wrong and then tries to grab onto players in a way you see in Junior football 😂

15 Yellows and 1 red last season tells it's own story. I'm sure he gets frustrated during the games, however I think he'll need to realise that teams will target that frustration and tell their player to "get your hands on him and get up close to him generally" in the hope that he will lose his composure and lash out.

All goes down to the "Raw" element that we've already described. It's not just that rawness from a technical point of view, it's the difference in attitude and the way you carry yourself in a professional side in order to not lose focus and be able to not let frustration get the better side of you.

Time will tell, he may turn into a new Bobby Hutchinson or Dave Martin.🤣

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ultimately it feels to me like a midtable, top 10 season as it stands. Bird seems here and now, the rest?

Some scope for building, reasonable number of players aged 25 and under plus JKL, S-P-H and Yeboah all may develop on loan. 

We don't necessarily (IMO) have enough for the here and now for a genuine top 6 push.

We don't in all honesty BUT if the lads take on board what Liam wants and if one of the two front lads has the old lightbulb switch-on moment early enough in the season to make a difference (big ifs I agree) then we might be looking at a higher position in the table. Of course, it can always go the other direction as well. It's all premised on hope rather than expectation though. On very limited evidence there does seem to be something about Armstrong. Certainly shouldn't be the "Bas Savage" that one absolute loon was banging on about the other day.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Onside!

IMG_1157.jpeg

Hahaha - he looked bloody miles off last night!! 
I went to the game and whilst it would be harsh to judge on one outing i personally didn’t see too much from Fally that really impressed me. Let’s hope there’s much more to come. 

• Like 1