IGNORED

Who's Next for The England Job

bpexile

Hi All, just wondering if there's anything rumoured about the England job, obviously the Klopp name has been mentioned , would love that but very much doubt it.

Ange Postecoglou is some-one also I would like & I think he would do a great job of it.

What are the thoughts & rumours going around ?

Well we know that if Nanning starts the season well he’ll jump ship! 😂😂😂

Seriously, it’s been quiet on the England job hasn’t it? I hope they don’t jump sor someone, anyone head of the next games…. A caretaker would be better than that. 

4 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Hi All, just wondering if there's anything rumoured about the England job, obviously the Klopp name has been mentioned , would love that but very much doubt it.

Ange Postecoglou is some-one also I would like & I think he would do a great job of it.

What are the thoughts & rumours going around ?

Well I think both of those would provide more entertainment and they are both names I’ve put forward.

however you’ll find that a lot of people don’t like the idea of a foreign manager and it was discussed in length on the Euros threads

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Well I think both of those would provide more entertainment and they are both names I’ve put forward.

however you’ll find that a lot of people don’t like the idea of a foreign manager and it was discussed in length on the Euros threads

My apologies if this has been covered previously, I wasn't aware of it 👍.

I'm not sure we'll get an English manager... I think or hope the FA will, at least talk to Pep (I think he's getting bored at Man C, so it would be a new challenge), Mikel and Klopp, but I doubt any of them would do it, so I'll go for Ange or Poch.

Edited by BritAbroad
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Malago said:

They’ll give it to Carsley.

Agreed. I reckon they’ll give to him on an interim basis, while they waste time waiting to see what Pep does with his contract up this time next year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tin said:

Agreed. I reckon they’ll give to him on an interim basis, while they waste time waiting to see what Pep does with his contract up this time next year.

I like this option. If we want to end the '60 years of hurt' in 2026, Guardiola is as close to a sure thing as you can get. He'd get to continue working with a number of Man City players which might help us sell it, and I'm sure he's mentioned in the past he wants to do international management as well as Club. And I suppose the Spain manager is pretty bedded in following his surprise Euros win, so that option is off the table for Pep. Stars could be lining up. 

6 minutes ago, Negan said:

Has Carsley or Potter all over it. Possibly Potter with Carsley as his number 2. 

When Potter was at Brighton they played some of the most exciting attacking football I have ever seen...and with poorer players than the rest of the Prem 

27 minutes ago, tin said:

Or Klopp maybe if he wants to get back into management at some point ?

49 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I like this option. If we want to end the '60 years of hurt' in 2026, Guardiola is as close to a sure thing as you can get. He'd get to continue working with a number of Man City players which might help us sell it, and I'm sure he's mentioned in the past he wants to do international management as well as Club. And I suppose the Spain manager is pretty bedded in following his surprise Euros win, so that option is off the table for Pep. Stars could be lining up. 

Just to be clear, not for a second do I think Pep will manage England. But I totally agree if it was possible, it’d certainly give us the best chance of winning a major trophy. 

37 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Or Klopp maybe if he wants to get back into management at some point ?

He’s already ruled it out. 

9 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Eddie Howe favourite apparently.

Despite saying clearly that he won't leave Newcastle. 

It's clear to me that it will either be Potter or Carsley. Worth noting that 10 or more games in charge counts as 'next permanent manager' if you're having a bet.

England's next 6 games are vs Greece, Finland and Ireland. There's then 4 games in March and June.  If we're drawn in a 4 team wc qualifying group we don't start wc qualifying till September 25.

There could therefore be 10 games to play with minimal impact.

Potter is available. Carsley is in house. Anyone else costs a fortune and probably aren't interested until the wc is in front of them.

The other thing pointing to Carsley is he knows the under 21s. These next games are the ideal opportunity to bed in the likes of Colwill, Gordon etc. 

International management is a funny old game. All these managers being mentioned (bar Carsley) are used to having players with them all day, every day (slight exaggeration but I'm going with it for the purposes of my point!). With England they'd get what, a week of training, every 2 months (at best) to work with the players. And that's bringing together players who all play different styles to play ANOTHER different style. I think that's why we see people like de la Fuente at Spain and Scaloni at Argentina be successful. They both have little (none in Sacaloni's case) club management experience so have no pre conceptions. Both have also worked within age group football in their respective countries too.

Anyway, my point being, it doesn't need to be a name, it just needs to be the right person, English or otherwise (I think we're so daft ruling out foreign managers, what if they're the best person for the job?! Who cares where they were born!). Someone who can bring together players from different clubs, play a simple, effective, watchable brand of football that gets results. Peace of p*ss right?!

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

On a side note, I don't think Pep will ever manage Spain. He's been vocal in his support for Catalan independence in the past. Despite playing however many times for Spain, I don't think he'd manage them, Spain being controlled by the Spanish FA from Madrid. I'm not sure he believes in idea of the Spanish national team as it stands. If Catalonia do get independence one day, he'll be a shoe in for that job though! So England might be his favoured national team! I can see him jacking in Man City next season, moving to the US, having a go in the MLS and then becoming USMT manager - seems like a Pep thing to do.

Edited by Moulin Rougier
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The fa could never control klopp or pep, id take either in a heartbeat, both these guys tell it like it is, there lies the problem 

It's not the 70s and Brian Clough.  Southgate controlled the FA not the other way round. He left on his own terms.  Klopp, Pep whoever would want lots of £££ or €€€. That's more the issue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Despite saying clearly that he won't leave Newcastle

He's using the rumour as a weapon in the power struggle at Newcastle. He wants complete control over everything so the appointment of a director of football and a performance director has put his nose out of joint.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/20/eddie-howe-seeks-right-dynamic-as-newcastle-future-comes-under-question

2 hours ago, tin said:

They'll give it to Carslsy. He'll do a decent job. They won't be able to afford/won't be able to get Pep/Klopp/Eddie/Ancelotti so Carsley stays on.

He has actually won an International tournament with players who will soon be the core of the national side. 

• Like 1

Already posted this on the Southgate thread.

Its gonna be Carsley as short term/Interim until they can get Pep in.

FA have made a few enquiries and were really surprised at the amount Potch wanted.

Couple next door work for the FA

Edited by QuedgeRed

14 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It's not the 70s and Brian Clough.  Southgate controlled the FA not the other way round. He left on his own terms.  Klopp, Pep whoever would want lots of £££ or €€€. That's more the issue

What a load of rubbish he couldn't even control the players

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

What a load of rubbish he couldn't even control the players

You're the one talking shite.  You make it sound like we're France with Evra as the Trade Union leader.

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Somebody rocking the boat with the fa, thats exactly the sort of appointment they like isn't it, if you aint a yes man don't apply

That's Nige ruled out then...

9 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Sooner him than Howe

Saying that sooner Joey than Howe 

I like Eddie Howe, wouldn’t be averse to him getting the job, but getting him out of Newcastle might cost money???

4 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Does that negate him being a proven winner?

He’s won a few league cups with Leicester. Hardly Pep or Jose is he 😂 

Bet Ancelotti is gutted he can’t make Martin O’Neils list of managerial honours. 

Edited by Ziderarmy

7 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Imagine foden smuggling a bird back to his Room under pep, he wouldn't have even thought about it

I read an interesting snippet of an article.

Pep granted Rodri a game off. Player Power or excellent Man Management?

Season just gone, Man City v Luton in the Spring. The Author went on to say English players don't do that and also highlighted possibly an element of excuse too, that the players are exhausted by the time a Summer tournament kicks in.