IGNORED

Exeter City pre-season friendly

After three friendlies, three wins and three clean sheets we  face Exeter City at the HPC on Saturday with a 1 pm kick off, here’s an insight.

A little quiz question to start with, who were their famous opponents 110 years ago? Answer at the end.

BTW it is on Robins TV a stream is available for £5 and can be purchased by clicking here

On Wednesday they beat Oxford United 1-0 in a friendly, https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/gary-caldwell-reacts-oxford-win-and-previews-bristol-city

Previews: https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/pierce-sweeney-previews-trip-bristol-city and https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/match-preview-bristol-city

The club is nicknamed The Grecians, a name whose origin remains the subject of much speculation.

One suggestion is that in 1908 the club voted for the name because of its association with St Sidwells parish. Historically people living in the parish of St Sidwells were said to have been known as "Greeks" or "Grecians". However, perhaps more plausibly, the association arose because of rivalries between city boys and those of St Sidwells during the annual beating the bounds. Beating the bounds or perambulating the bounds is an ancient custom still observed in parts of England, Wales and the New England region of the United States which traditionally involved swatting local landmarks with branches to maintain a shared mental map of parishboundaries, usually every seven years.

It has also been suggested the name derived from a group of children in St Sidwells who were referred to as the 'Greasy Un's'. A further possibility was that it derived from a jeweller's shop in Sidwell Street, close to the ground, which had a clock hanging outside displaying the name 'Grecians' on its face.

Yet another theory suggests that it is a corruption of Caerwysg, the Welsh name for Exeter (Caer = fort, Wysg = Exe – fort on the river Exe, similar to the Cornish Karesk). Thus, citizens could have been known as Caer Iscuns and so possibly mutating to Grecians.

Exeter City, which was founded in 1901, are today owned by supporters via the Exeter City Supporters’ Trust, https://www.weownexetercityfc.co.uk

The Exeter City AFC Supporters Society (the Trust) has been influencing Exeter City FC for the past 24 years. Originally formed in 2000 to assist in the payment of a player’s salary it went on to purchase a majority shareholding (57.25%) in 2003, and in 2014 obtained voting parity on the club’s Board of Directors, allowing at present three Trustees and the Trust Chairman to sit on that board.

Over those 24 years the Trust has contributed circa £2m in donations and even more besides for specific projects and fundraising appeals, totaling in excess of £65k. As well as monetary benefit, volunteer effort is estimated to be in the region of £250,000pa – a direct result of Supporter Ownership.

The Trust has also donated considerably to the club’s charitable arm, the Exeter City Community Trust. 

The Trust is a firmly democratic organisation where members of the Trust Board are elected by its (circa) 4,300 membership. Trustees are elected for three year periods and can remain sitting for a maximum of nine consecutive years. Typically, the Trust Board totals 12 elected Trustees (there is a maximum of 15 allowable but three places are typically reserved for co-opted skills) and four officers. At present the Trust Board present a wide range of skills and ages.

Famous fans include David Earl, Coldplay frontman, Chris Martin, Adrian Edmondson, Noel Edmonds, swimmer Liam Tancock, BBC broadcaster James Vickery, Spotlight reporter John Ayres, TV presenter Juliet Morris and Hoosiers drummer Alan Sharland. Singer Joss Stone signed up as a member of the Supporters Trust.

In 2002 Michael Jackson was made honorary director of Exeter City. He visited St James Park with celebrity friend Uri Geller, who was also a director.

The crew of HMS Defender also adopted Exeter City as their home team and use their strip when playing games.

Over the years we have won 27, drawn 17 and lost 12. Last time we played them competitively was in September 2020 in the League Cup, a game played behind closed doors, due to Covid, we won 2-0. It was Dean Holden’s first game as our manager: https://youtu.be/xTWp00JvXGM

We played them preseason last year at the HPC and won 4-0: https://youtu.be/cnOXsRvBOFY

Last season they finished 13th in league one. Gary Caldwell is their current manager. Caldwell played for Newcastle United, Darlington, Coventry City, Derby County, Hibernian, Celtic, Wigan Athletic and won 55 international caps for Scotland.

Those who have played for both clubs include Paul Tisdale, Lee Rogers, Tommy Doherty, John Giles and Gary Marshall.

Back to the opening question. In July 1914 they played Brazil! https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/day-july-21-1914-brazil-vs-exeter-city

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Robin 1

They've had a good pre-season thus far with the following results;

Tiverton (a) won 2-1

WSM (a) drew 1-1

Mousehole (a) won 4-1

Yeovil (a) won 3-1

Oxford Utd (a) won 1-0

Usual caveats apply.

Based on last night we can expect to see the following players today if fit;

Bajic, McCrorie, Vyner, Naismith, Roberts, Williams, TGH, Morrison, Bell, Stokes, Cornick & Mayulu.

Some of these will expect to make the starting lineup for the first game, others are less likely.

Edited by GrahamC

47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bajic, McCrorie, Vyner, Naismith, Roberts, Williams, TGH, Morrison, Bell, Stokes, Cornick & Mayulu.

Some of these will expect to make the starting lineup for the first game, others are less likely.

Morrison came on last night, so don’t expect him to feature. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Is Benarous still not available ?

7 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Looking at this line up together with the one from last night, we appear to have some decent strength in depth going into the new season. One or two more additions would complete the picture nicely. 

• Like 1

Nice to see Benarous back on the bench at least- must be so careful.

Relief to see Vyner back..Roberts? Murphy?

1 minute ago, Hartleysbeard said:

One or two more additions would complete the picture nicely. 

One or two more..7, 9, 10 which became 2 strikers with the Conway situation? Twine or equivalent of course but who else?

(Having said that if we were going for the higher levels I'd say we would need 3 or 4 more given competitive League, injuries etc).

12 minutes ago, Hocca said:

No Roberts and Murphy again, we going to get any information on their ongoing absence from the club?

There are always a couple of injuries in pre season so I’m not unduly concerned about Roberts (although it would be nice to have him available).

Murphy in view of the absolutely awful communication around him post January (“extended pre season”) when he had what seemed a chronic condition (tendinitis) I’m more concerned over. It’s possible he goes with the 21s at Bath, but the concern here is that the tendinitis has flared up again and the more it does, the more you worry about him.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

They've had a good pre-season thus far with the following results;

Tiverton (a) won 2-1

WSM (a) drew 1-1

Mousehole (a) won 4-1

Yeovil (a) won 3-1

Oxford Utd (a) won 1-0

Usual caveats apply.

Tbf Oxford is a decent result. 

Love Exeter as a place and as a club. I went there for uni and have stood on the terrace at the real St James Park a few times. 

Their ownership model is exceptional and inspiring and...tbh they're probably my second team if I have one.

Ps. I think they'd be a perfect fit for Mr. Pearson should Caldwell fail and they need someone new.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

There are always a couple of injuries in pre season so I’m not unduly concerned about Roberts (although it would be nice to have him available).

Murphy in view of the absolutely awful communication around him post January (“extended pre season”) when he had what seemed a chronic condition (tendinitis) I’m more concerned over. It’s possible he goes with the 21s at Bath, but the concern here is that the tendinitis has flared up again and the more it does, the more you worry about him.

Hope it's not the case but you have to worry that his condition & and the demands of being a professional at this level are just not compatible.

16 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Looking at this line up together with the one from last night, we appear to have some decent strength in depth going into the new season. One or two more additions would complete the picture nicely. 

I think last night's is closer to what we will see on day 1 against Hull, especially if Wells and Armstrong continue to impress.

Take last night's team, switch Bell (or anyone really) in for Mehmeti and let Vyner and Williams come in as well and I think you're getting near our best XI.

CB is a really hard choice though. We've got three really good options and - in my preferred back 4 - only two spots.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Tbf Oxford is a decent result. 

Love Exeter as a place and as a club. I went there for uni and have stood on the terrace at the real St James Park a few times. 

Their ownership model is exceptional and inspiring and...tbh they're probably my second team if I have one.

Ps. I think they'd be a perfect fit for Mr. Pearson should Caldwell fail and they need someone new.

Not so sure that Nige is seeking another job in football management. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not so sure that Nige is seeking another job in football management. 

I've heard he's not ruled out a return at some point.

His strength is connecting with fans rather than owners. Exeter are owned by the fans and they employ Managers not head coaches. I think he'd find a good home there.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hocca said:

No Roberts and Murphy again, we going to get any information on their ongoing absence from the club?

Roberts has a niggle, I’ve heard nothing on Murphy’s fitness.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Presumably nothing of interest so far?

Fallys just missed a header from about 2 yards!

otherwise some comfortable passing and not bad pressing out of possession but nothing major to write home about

Edited by MarcusX
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Williams 

I don’t get what Manning has against Zak being captain, seems the obvious choice to me... Not a big deal but Williams definitely wouldn’t be in the conversation for me, hasn’t got the temperament for a good captain imo. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, TommyD68 said:

I don’t get what Manning has against Zak being captain, seems the obvious choice to me... Not a big deal but Williams definitely wouldn’t be in the conversation for me, hasn’t got the temperament for a good captain imo. 

Might've been part of his contract renewal that he would be given a chance to prove himself as captain? He made comments that he wanted to be a leader after signing.

3 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

I’m sure Knight will continue to be Captain.

I’m happy for Vyner to concentrate on his game and Marshall the defence.

When he did have the armband it coincided with a dip in his form.

maybe a coincidence but it’s not a role for everyone 

37 minutes ago, devoncider said:

I see exeter have just signed frankie phillips - I presume son of Steve

Yes he is, played for Paulton Rovers last year. He is going to train full time with Exeter but be loaned out to a team at Yate, Manor Farm level which is the level he played at last season. 

Good shot stopper but needs to bulk up as teams targeted him at set pieces.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Was looking forward to seeing Stokes, but he hasn’t done much so far. 

He's growing into the game, great run just before half time leading to Fally shooting wide.

Hopefully see more from him in the second half.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Have either Bajic or MOL been meaningfully tested in any of the warm up games so far?

MOL made a good save from a free kick against Aldershot I think, obviously we don't know about the Wolves game. Max's long range distribution at Cheltenham was poor, but I don't suppose he will play on a pitch that small all season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

TGH looked really good, Bell was good, Mayulu had moments, but Stokes and Williams looked noticeably off it to me. Good run out in the first half though.

For me TGH, Bird and Knight have all looked better than Williams so far pre season.

Some were calling for him to be named captain and thinking he was an automatic starter.

that was never a feeling I shared and pre season has shown me nothing to change my opinion

Edited by Back of the Dolman

1 minute ago, MythikRobins said:

TGH looked really good, Bell was good, Mayulu had moments, but Stokes and Williams looked noticeably off it to me. Good run out in the first half though.

Don't agree with Stokes, the only time he struggled was when they had three men pressing him. Last ten minutes he was looking very good. Mayula looks like a player trying too hard to impress, someone needs to tell him to relax and just play to his strengths.

• Like 1

One of the less eventful halves of pre-season.

Bajic and the back 4 looked fairly comfortable, though they've not had anything particularly challenging to deal with. McCrorie playing well - one of our best attacking outlets so far.

Williams and TGH are doing fairly well at the base of the midfield, though Williams has had a few dodgy touches. TGH probably our best performer.

The attacking 3 of Cornick, Stokes, and Bell have pressed well, but have shown a real lack of quality when we've had the ball. On quite a few occassions we've won possession back through pressing, then had a poor touch and immediately given the ball back to Exeter again.

Mayulu has held the ball up nicely at times, but will be very disappointed with the header he missed - an open goal from less than 6 yards out. Perhaps looking a bit low on confidence right now?

Not impressed atall with mayulu he seems to be really struggling the with pace of the game very slow and heavy footed on the ball can't get it out his feet and just loses possession every single time.

• Like 1

TGH the pick first half.  He is gonna have to fight for CM minutes this season!

Mayulu a bit loose at times.

Bell having little joy against the combo of the experienced Sweeney and Niskanen.

Campbell-Slowey nice and solid but not sharp enough on the ball, Exeter triggering their press off of him.

Stokes can't get into it, and can't get close to Mayulu.  that combo hasn't worked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

Not impressed atall with mayulu he seems to be really struggling the with pace of the game very slow and heavy footed on the ball can't get it out his feet and just loses possession every single time.

He certainly doesnt look Championship ready yet i was wondering if they've got him for the future and will be in the reserves/U21's a lot this season.  If so we need to bring another championship ready Striker in now

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2