IGNORED

Exeter City pre-season friendly

6 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Not impressed atall with mayulu he seems to be really struggling the with pace of the game very slow and heavy footed on the ball can't get it out his feet and just loses possession every single time.

Oh dear not another Mebude type signing I hope! 

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's s good test, a challenge..unpick the lock.

Fally and Stokes so far, hmm.

Don't let em forget that it's only me and you that are deeply critical of summer recruitment, so far

• Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

5th tier, still quite young- big leap. I wonder how ready he is or will be or if he is more development/fringe at this point.

You are so determined to be the case Mr P. Try watching him play.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, westonred said:

He certainly doesnt look Championship ready yet i was wondering if they've got him for the future and will be in the reserves/U21's a lot this season.  If so we need to bring another championship ready Striker in now

I'd be very surprised if we spent a 7 figure fee on a player who we don't expect to be in and around the starting XI this season.

Rightly or wrongly, I think we were probably expecting Mayulu to be our "first choice" number 9 this season (or at the very least share that role with Armstrong).

• Like 2

Mayulu is a big lad. Body language is a bit sulky, not sure if he's unhappy or just his natural demeanour. He certainly isn't a  Kodjia type player but BT did say they were looking for a more physical type. Will take a while to get an idea of what he'll offer.

1 minute ago, Gert Mare said:

Nelson has got Exeter rattled. Not frightened to run at them. Great to see.

He looks like someone who could really make something happen in a tight game.  Love to see him regularly on the bench when the season gets under way.

• Like 5

Go on, Ayman! Would love to see him see out a season and breakthrough 

Also nice to see so much more energy, pace and attacking intent. Especially out wide. Hopefully we can use that to break down these low block teams we struggle against 

• Like 1

Just now, TammyAB said:

Shocking defending from Exeter and a great strike from Cornick

That might be a little unfair, Cornick seemed to do just enough to give the defender a little nudge to make him miss it.

2 great finishes from Cornick and some good playing the build up by Mayulu, whilst I hadn’t been too impressed with him so far.

Great impact from Nelson so far too.

Also why is Robins TV so far behind? Or is it me? Got a flash scores notification a good few minutes before the goals

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

He looks like someone who could really make something happen in a tight game.  Love to see him regularly on the bench when the season gets under way.

We’re a different proposition since Nelson came on. His running is turning the Exeter defence around to be facing goal, hence the opportunities that Cornick has dispatched. Cornick having a good game today. Looks sharp. I’ve been impressed with his overall contribution too today. Deserved the goals to go with it.

Nelson should be putting serious pressure on our wide positions if he continues this sort of performance.

Edited by Gert Mare

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Playing with the wind this half....ball won't be holding up.

It seems a bit of design flaw having the pitch where it is, I wonder if they have considered putting some "baffling" for the wind at either end? It seems to ruin every other game I have seen up there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

That might be a little unfair, Cornick seemed to do just enough to give the defender a little nudge to make him miss it.

2 great finishes from Cornick and some good playing the build up by Mayulu, whilst I hadn’t been too impressed with him so far.

Great impact from Nelson so far too.

Also why is Robins TV so far behind? Or is it me? Got a flash scores notification a good few minutes before the goals

No it's definitely not unfair

Commentary team totally unaware of what was going on . Looked obvious that something had been given and they didn't spot it until the lad put the ball on the spot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

We’re a different proposition since Nelson came on. His running is turning the Exeter defence around to be facing goal, hence the opportunities that Cornick has dispatched. Cornick having a good game today. Looks sharp. I’ve been impressed with his overall contribution too today. Deserved the goals to go with it.

Nelson should be putting serious pressure on our wide positions if he continues this sort of performance.

Agreed, Nelson has made us look much more dangerous.

Nelson has probably been the pick of our wide players in this match (Nelson, Bell, Benarous, Cornick), though in fairness Cornick's 2nd finish was excellent.

Worth noting that all 4 of those attacking players are probably quite a way down the pecking order though.

4 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Agreed, Nelson has made us look much more dangerous.

Nelson has probably been the pick of our wide players in this match (Nelson, Bell, Benarous, Cornick), though in fairness Cornick's 2nd finish was excellent.

Worth noting that all 4 of those attacking players are probably quite a way down the pecking order though.

I take this as pretty much our ressies (1 or 2 apart).

For those that watched last night and are watching today, how many of today's side would be realistic replacements in last night's side?

Isn't it great to have football to talk about again?

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

For those that watched last night and are watching today, how many of today's side works be realistic replacements in last night's side?

Our depth is pretty decent when we are injury free or minimal injuries as you'll always get some.

• Like 1

Feels like Mayulu's been isolated in this game. Getting next to no service, missed a sitter and trying a little too hard to make amends. Not anything to get worried about, but you'd hope/expect Manning to find a way to get him more involved.

• Like 1

Deserved that. Second half much more lively. Standouts Nelson, TGH, Cornick for me. 

Exeter given a pretty unclear penalty and had a bit of a go, but we never looked out of control of this match.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kidjupiter said:

Feels like Mayulu's been isolated in this game. Getting next to no service, missed a sitter and trying a little too hard to make amends. Not anything to get worried about, but you'd hope/expect Manning to find a way to get him more involved.

Got a good assist, and some nice hold up play, as I said he needs to just relax a little.

2 minutes ago, kidjupiter said:

Feels like Mayulu's been isolated in this game. Getting next to no service

I think you could say that has often been the case for whoever is our main striker with the way LM sets up the side.

Edited by robin_unreliant
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Raekwon Nelson again with some incredible speed and such a great ball. Some of our first team left wingers might need to watch their backs...

Hes been class in the pre season games !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Portishead Puffin said:

Got a good assist, and some nice hold up play, as I said he needs to just relax a little.

For sure - if he scores the header then the narrative is totally different. It'll come.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redkev said:

With no football at the moment my wife mentioned the dreaded 4 letter word this morning 

IKEA 

the outcome - I went for a 5 mile run done some weights in my garage , fixed a puncture on my bike , put some lights in the garden , washed the car , done some lunch , now sat in the garden with a beer 

Fxxk ikea 

I've got a busted leg Kev so the diy can do one! Settee, sky sports and a constant supply of coffee for me. 😉

Oh the pain. 😇😜

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

LM does seem to like the Ajax approach of getting the lads to learn different positions, each time I see them they seem to be playing somewhere slightly different, I don't think I have seen Blackwell play that centrally but he looked good.

More minutes in legs, noticeable points from me include:

Campbell-Slowey looked very much at home

Fally certainly will need time to get up to speed

Absolutely brilliant to see Ayman get 20 minutes

Nelson was a real handful when he came on

Delighted for Corns to notch a couple

Naismith and Vyner looked at it

Gardner-Hickman had a very solid 90 minutes

All the usual caveats about friendlies, perhaps the most important thing is it did not appear that anyone got injured for us.

• Like 1

Stokes so much better as the game went on. Some really top intelligent pressing you'd maybe not expect from a player so young.

Nelson had two league 1 standard full-backs/wingbacks on absolute strings, if he can keep that up he could definitely feature from the bench in the first-team.

Or maybe a good loan is on the cards for him?

Edited by MythikRobins

Just now, MythikRobins said:

Stokes so much better as the game went on. Some really top intelligent pressing you'd maybe not expect from a player so young.

Nelson had two league 1 standard full-backs/wingbacks on absolute strings, if he can keep that up he could definitely feature from the bench in the first-team? 

Or maybe a good loan is on the cards for him?

Intelligent pressing and also accurate passing - as you say, he improved as the game went on in all aspects.

4 minutes ago, redkev said:

With no football at the moment my wife mentioned the dreaded 4 letter word this morning 

IKEA 

the outcome - I went for a 5 mile run done some weights in my garage , fixed a puncture on my bike , put some lights in the garden , washed the car , done some lunch , now sat in the garden with a beer 

Fxxk ikea 

Fair play doing the garden lights redkev. She's lucky to have you 😉

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

For those that watched last night and are watching today, how many of today's side would be realistic replacements in last night's side?

Agreed, this felt like a much weaker team.

Vyner and McCrorie probably the obvious 2 who could get into the team from last night.

Williams and Mayulu are the other logical suggestions, but both looked a little rusty at times today. TGH's performance today makes him worthy of consideration, but still probably behind Knight and Bird in the pecking order.

I don't think anyone else who played today is close to being in our "best XI".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Agreed, this felt like a much weaker team.

Vyner and McCrorie probably the obvious 2 who could get into the team from last night.

Williams and Mayulu are the other logical suggestions, but both looked a little rusty at times today. TGH's performance today makes him worthy of consideration, but still probably behind Knight and Bird in the pecking order.

I don't think anyone else who played today is close to being in our "best XI".

Harry with Sincs, if we play 2 up top? Fally clearly needs some time and work. I would guess Nahki would be the obvious 2nd forward.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kidjupiter said:

Thought (and hoped) the same last year with Conway. 

1 hour ago, MythikRobins said:

Raekwon Nelson again with some incredible speed and such a great ball. Some of our first team left wingers might need to watch their backs...

He put a couple of good crosses in didn't he (one for the goal, which admittedly the two defenders ballsed up between them). What I like is that he has a quick look on the run and then can play a decent ball. I don't know how close he's meant to be, but he looks very promising.

ed: The cross for the goal might have been Fally. I've got a memory like an, er, ?????

Edited by Sleepy1968