IGNORED

Exeter City pre-season friendly

I thought a bit frantic in the first half. However some decent pre season performances 

The second half particularly after the un named sub Nelson came on we looked really dangerous. 

Cornick hit two quality finishes. 

Mayulu did a lot of off the ball running and got his assist with a nice dink

Stokes got into it when Nelson got on

Ayman got into a couple of good positions but couldn’t quite nail the cross. 

At one point we had three left footers at the back. Who all looked more than competent 

Bajic had little to do so who knows how things will pan out for him but looked comfortable 

All in all an enjoyable couple of hours and the boy Nelson looks like a real winger. Some really decent balls down the left getting him in constantly. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

It's really great to read the positive comments about the youngster this pre-season. Unexpected for me, given the attention/focus on the new signings.

I really hope the club are thinking about the contracts of these young prospects and importantly, giving them a chance in the first team this season and we dont end up with more Conway type situations. 

Edited by Loco Rojo

I think Fally may time to settle, did look a little lost and frustrated at times. 
With Armstrong seemingly hitting the ground running it gives him time to settle in with every one/thing..
Looks like he can hold the ball up, movement looked ok and has an ok touch. When he relaxes in to the role I think he may look a lot better. 

Benarous looked good, could have scored but quite understandably a bit rusty at times .

Nice to see the next batch looking like they may push towards the squad . I like the look of James , slowey looks a unit at what 18 , Nelson has shown some real promise too.

Looks like we will have some good options all over. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Harry with Sincs, if we play 2 up top? Fally clearly needs some time and work. I would guess Nahki would be the obvious 2nd forward.

Personally, I'm not expecting us to play 2 up top, so I haven't given much thought to it.

Despite a couple of decent finishes today, I still think Cornick is quite a way down the pecking order.

Armstrong and Wells have impressed in pre-season. Mayulu has been brought in because he's the profile of striker we were looking for, so despite a few slightly unerwhelming performances, I still wouldn't be that surprised to see him start. For me, Cornick would be less likely to start than all 3 of them (and also unlikely to start ahead of others in the surrounding attacking positions).

• Like 3

Good game for us until the last 15 when we had a load of U21s on the pitch and it became a bit fragmented, but TGH held it together I thought. He was my MoM with Naismith and Cornick having good games. Special mention for Nelson who, despite having only one eye, had a great game and frightened the Exeter defence to death.

Fally was a bit hit and miss and looks to need a bit of time before regular Championship football. Stokes grew into the the high tempo of the game and finished strong.

And how nice to see Benarous back on the pitch, he looked fit and strong and didn't hold back. Well done to him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, westonred said:

He certainly doesnt look Championship ready yet i was wondering if they've got him for the future and will be in the reserves/U21's a lot this season.  If so we need to bring another championship ready Striker in now

I’ll be astonished if we’ve spent £2.5m on a bloke to go into the 21’s when we won’t spend £3m on our ‘so say’ prime target! 

27 minutes ago, kidjupiter said:

For sure - if he scores the header then the narrative is totally different. It'll come.

If. Yep. If. 
It’s too early to judge for sure, but the 2 games he’s had so far, he’s pretty much 3/10. 
Let’s hope he does improve. 

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Who's been playing the 'Twine' / playmaker position / role in the Cheltenham and Exeter games?

Wells last night and Stokes today. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, HOZDA said:

Go on, Ayman! Would love to see him see out a season and breakthrough 

Also nice to see so much more energy, pace and attacking intent. Especially out wide. Hopefully we can use that to break down these low block teams we struggle against 

Really rooting for Ayman.....he deserves some luck after what he has been through?

• Like 4
  • Robin 2

25 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

He put a couple of good crosses in didn't he (one for the goal, which admittedly the two defenders ballsed up between them). What I like is that he has a quick look on the run and then can play a decent ball. I don't know how close he's meant to be, but he looks very promising.

ed: The cross for the goal might have been Fally. I've got a memory like an, er, ?????

Sorry, I forgot what you said to start with!!!

🙄

8 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

That's his new number then surely, hes wore 26 for a few seasons now

Yep. I think Stokes was wearing 26 

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, CyderHead92 said:

That's his new number then surely, hes wore 26 for a few seasons now

I know he'd requested to change numbers, though was intrigued why he launched a sporting range with a different number 

All that stock is pointless now, I assume he never trade marked it 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I know he'd requested to change numbers, though was intrigued why he launched a sporting range with a different number 

All that stock is pointless now, I assume he never trade marked it 

Thing is, you would think unless he was getting the 4,5,6 numbers he would just stick to his 26 which he has used for about 4 seasons now.

2 hours ago, CyderHead92 said:

What number was vyner wearing today? Picture on bristol live shows someone else wearing 26

Thing is though, Armstrong has been wearing 7 so far & we’ve already promised that to Hirakawa.

Maybe Vyner is wearing 14 next season but it’s not certain.

8 hours ago, JAWS said:

Fair play doing the garden lights redkev. She's lucky to have you 😉

Obviously once they were done they weren’t to her liking , 

I swear we have anymore lights in the garden I will look out of the window in the morning and see an easyJet plane 

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, redkev said:

Obviously once they were done they weren’t to her liking , 

I swear we have anymore lights in the garden I will look out of the window in the morning and see an easyJet plane 

🤣 reckon ur mrs & mine should get together! Mine said she voted Green party too 🤣

12 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Love Exeter as a place and as a club. I went there for uni and have stood on the terrace at the real St James Park a few times. 

Me too. BSc Zoology.

My first ever Football League game was Exeter v Huddersfield Town Div 3 1982.

• Like 1