IGNORED

Starting 11 vs Hull - current squad

what would your 11 be with the current squad going into the hull game, here’s mine.Strength in depth. 

Subs:

Bajic, Tanner, Atkinson, Robert’s, Naismith, Stokes, Cornick, Armstrong 

IMG_2386.thumb.png.4dd1d4a18a53bf49faf34a15634232d5.png

Edited by HengroveReds
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

what would your 11 be with the current squad going into the hull game, here’s mine.Strength in depth. 

Subs:

Why would you play Mayulu over Armstrong? 

No Wells or Gardner-Hickman in squad? 

Knight as a number 10 doesn’t work at all. 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, HengroveReds said:

Subs:

This is a pretty wild selection imo.

McCrorie for Tanner is suspect, especially with Pring given agency to get further up the left hand side.

• Like 3

Armstrong

Mehmeti Wells Sykes

Knight Williams

Pring Dickie Vyner Tanner

O'Leary

Subs: Bajic, McCrorie, Atkinson, Naismith, Roberts, Bird, Mayulu, Cornick, Bell

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Nathandao said:

Armstrong

Mehmeti Wells Sykes

Knight Williams

O'Leary

This

3 hours ago, CyderHead92 said:

O'Leary 

Tanner       vyner       Dickie 

Sykes     bird     knight       pring

Armstrong  wells   bell

That Wells-Bell combo has me thinking of an AC/DC song....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nathandao said:

Armstrong

Mehmeti Wells Sykes

Knight Williams

O'Leary

Bird for Williams I reckon, otherwise that’s it for me.

TGH definitely makes the bench, not sure if Roberts will be fit.

Edited by GrahamC

5 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Subs:

I wouldnt be surprised to see something like that, i wonder if theres an intention of playing armstrong/ fally/ yu as a front 3 if they are all fit then number 10 (twine) then the 2 midfielders, probably knight and bird.

13 minutes ago, james04 said:

Max O’Leary,Mark Sykes,Kal Naismith,Timm Klose,Cam Pring,You can bet on bristol to beat hull for sure on betmelive and enjoy welcome bonus of $50.Joe Williams,Alex Scott,Matty James,Andi Weimann,Nakhi Wells,Chris Martin

…we didn’t start the fire….

• Haha 4

Armstrong/Wells

Armstrong/Bell   Mehmeti      Sykes

Bird          Knight

Pring   Dickie   Vyner    Tanner 
                             O'Leary

----------------------------------

or 

----------------------------------

Armstrong    Wells

Bell                                         Sykes

Bird       Knight

Pring                                      Tanner

Dickie     Vyner 

O'Leary

Depending on if Manning wants to play with 2 up top or not. 

Edited by broodje

My view is we’ll line up with a back three of 

Vyner Dickie Atkinson

Wing backs will be Sykes and Pring

Midfield three of TGH or Williams, Knight and Bird

and Wells and Armstrong up top.

Thought it would make sense to return to this thread following the conclusion of our final pre-season friendly.

You'd imagine that our starting XI for the Willem game today was roughly Manning's current starting XI for the Hull match. So, here's how I see the team from today's match given their performances this afternoon (and through the rest of pre-season):

• The players in red have pretty much locked in their position in the starting XI for me.
  • Wells, in green, is probably pretty locked in unless we get the Twine deal done before the Hull match.
  • The players in blue could have their position at risk.

O'Leary

Tanner  Vyner  Dickie  Pring

Bird  Knight

Bell    Wells   Mehmeti

Armstrong

Armstrong - He was ahead of Mayulu in the pecking order before today, but I think the performances this afternoon act as a point in favour of Fally. I could see either starting vs Hull, though Armstrong probably still the more likely.

Bell - Not a great day for him today. I'd have Sykes ahead of him in the starting XI.

Tanner - Simply at risk as he and McCrorie are both good options. Both deserve to start really, but we can only pick one if playing a back 4.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

With our current squad  

Max

Tanner Vyner Dickie Pring

Bird Knight 

Sykes        Wells      Mehmeti

Armstrong 

Agree with this. Tanner is better defender than McCrorie.

Would be equally happy to see Fally start in place of Armstrong.

Want to see Nelson on the bench, bin Bell or Cornick to include Nelson.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

So basically the same players that were abject last season, bar the striker.

Well, after seeing Bird yesterday I’d prob put him in for Williams but I do really rate Williams’ tenacity sooooo it’s a tough call to make for sure.

Obviously, Twine for Wells if we ever sign him and I liked what I saw of Fally yesterday too. Armstrong defo gives us that physicality up front which we lacked all season last year. 

At least it appears we have better competition for places now anyway, and I do really like Wells in that deeper position if we fail to get in a proper 10.

59 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

What am I missing? Who’s Nelson?

• Facepalm 1

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What am I missing? Who’s Nelson?

The geezer with one eye and dodgy arm , stood on some column in London ? 

Or the young lad who has featured in a lot of the pre season games and got 2 assists ?

It will be on the OS , you been away ??

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

My guess is they start with Armstrong , I think Fally will improve as he gets accustomed to the team but didn't look ready to start IMO. Possibly unfair to judge on that 25 mins or whatever it was.

I don't see Nelson making the squad just yet. Would love to see it , his direct running later in a game could really trouble sides.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

You being wilfully ignorant? Surely not. 

To be fair, I rarely look at the official site, I mostly get my info from here. The official site is a bit too...managed

I would expect next week's lineup to be a  mirror of yesterday's starting line up. Max and defence seem likely season starting defence. Knight - Bird looked decent but I still feel we lose a lot with Williams not playing. But then you have to play three across the middle to get him in. Need a new no. 10 Wells not good enough there. And I feels Sinclair and Fally will be sharing the strikers role untill one of them finds form and becomes the weekly starter. And when do we see a fit Yu. Soon I hope.

Come on you Reds 

Just now, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I would expect next week's lineup to be a  mirror of yesterday's starting line up. Max and defence seem likely season starting defence. Knight - Bird looked decent but I still feel we lose a lot with Williams not playing. But then you have to play three across the middle to get him in. Need a new no. 10 Wells not good enough there. And I feels Sinclair and Fally will be sharing the strikers role untill one of them finds form and becomes the weekly starter. And when do we see a fit Yu. Soon I hope.

Come on you Reds 

Agree with this. Would be odd go deviate from yesterday's starting 11.

Also agree that Fally & Sinclair will rotate the striking role. I'd actually like to see them in tandem as that would give a back 4 something to think about but I'm not holding my breath for that.

25 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Come on you Reds 

From watching yesterday I'd be starting with Fally- has something about him.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

As the OP has asked the question specifically with those already at the club I’d suggest Sykes & Mayulu for Bell & Armstrong for Saturday, with the rest as per the Willem game.

Won’t be too surprised if Armstrong gets the nod though.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

11 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Thought it would make sense to return to this thread following the conclusion of our final pre-season friendly.

You'd imagine that our starting XI for the Willem game today was roughly Manning's current starting XI for the Hull match. So, here's how I see the team from today's match given their performances this afternoon (and through the rest of pre-season):

• The players in red have pretty much locked in their position in the starting XI for me.
  • Wells, in green, is probably pretty locked in unless we get the Twine deal done before the Hull match.
  • The players in blue could have their position at risk.

O'Leary

Tanner  Vyner  Dickie  Pring

Bird  Knight

Bell    Wells   Mehmeti

Armstrong

Armstrong - He was ahead of Mayulu in the pecking order before today, but I think the performances this afternoon act as a point in favour of Fally. I could see either starting vs Hull, though Armstrong probably still the more likely.

Bell - Not a great day for him today. I'd have Sykes ahead of him in the starting XI.

Tanner - Simply at risk as he and McCrorie are both good options. Both deserve to start really, but we can only pick one if playing a back 4.

Perfectly summed up in my view. Those are the places up for grabs. I think Manning will stick with Tanner (for his defensive solidity away from home first match), Wells and Armstrong though - Sykes may get in ahead of Bell however.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, eardun said:

Perfectly summed up in my view. Those are the places up for grabs. I think Manning will stick with Tanner (for his defensive solidity away from home first match), Wells and Armstrong though - Sykes may get in ahead of Bell however.

Prefer Nelson tbh as he is the best winger but he wont be picked or even be on the bench.

I suppose Sykes is better than Bell so he will have to do.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Agree with your predicted squad. I really enjoyed watching Mayulu's 30 minutes today. 

I thought he showed really good awareness of the players around.  His dummy, then shot was a decent effort.  He had a quickness of feet that surprised me.

He did look a bit rusty and lacking sharpness at times.  He didn't always seem to know where he should be on the pitch, but that will come when he understands more about the positions other players will take up.  I feel he will benefit from runners off him, and could provide a fair few assists.  (Be interested to see him and Nahki together).

I do feel he will find space and make intelligent runs for our new number 10 to find him. 

• Like 4

I think there are a few questions to answer , what with Williams not playing ( I had him nailed on to start ) and Roberts not coming on. I think there are certainties though.

Screenshot2024-08-04at13_46_22.png.cec894918180ec3ce7e24ae370a79de5.png

Bell starting yesterday might show he's ahead of Sykes, but I thought we looked better when Sykes came on , can't be sure who starts.
Same with Tanner & McCrorie. On the face of it Tanner playing 90 might make it look like he's in Pole, but I'm not 100% . I do think he might get the nod as it's away though.
The 2nd striker/ No.10 slot is another one. If nothing happens I think Wells gets in , but it's 5 days to go so .....
You have to wonder , and I don't know why Williams wasn't involved , do we change to a 3 man MF with JW ? 
Yesterday confirmed nothing for me , hoping for a fully fit squad and some clarity by Saturday.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think there are a few questions to answer , what with Williams not playing ( I had him nailed on to start ) and Roberts not coming on. I think there are certainties though.

Bell starting yesterday might show he's ahead of Sykes, but I thought we looked better when Sykes came on , can't be sure who starts.
Same with Tanner & McCrorie. On the face of it Tanner playing 90 might make it look like he's in Pole, but I'm not 100% . I do think he might get the nod as it's away though.
The 2nd striker/ No.10 slot is another one. If nothing happens I think Wells gets in , but it's 5 days to go so .....
You have to wonder , and I don't know why Williams wasn't involved , do we change to a 3 man MF with JW ? 
Yesterday confirmed nothing for me , hoping for a fully fit squad and some clarity by Saturday.

Yes agree on your points. I liked Knight and Bird together. But I really feel that's not gonna be strong enough in the Championship and a three man midfield with Williams added makes sense to me. But then that needs a formation change from yesterday which would seem unlikely I would of thought.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think our challenge is the three players behind Mayulu/Armstrong. We need a 10 and two better wide players IMO, Yu is one of those and really hope talk of a right sided overseas signing is accurate as we are lacking some X factor out wide and it’s where we need to hurt teams. Hoping for a good week ahead in the market or else believe Saturday will be a struggle. 

It's good to hear some positive comments on Mayulu. It sounds like he's progressing with each game. I'd expect the team to be quite similar to Willem II and for Manning to use the Coventry game to get some extra minutes into the likes of Mayulu, Williams and Roberts. 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, The Masked Man said:

It's good to hear some positive comments on Mayulu. It sounds like he's progressing with each game. I'd expect the team to be quite similar to Willem II and for Manning to use the Coventry game to get some extra minutes into the likes of Mayulu, Williams and Roberts. 

Now that makes sense 🤔

8 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I think our challenge is the three players behind Mayulu/Armstrong. We need a 10 and two better wide players IMO, Yu is one of those and really hope talk of a right sided overseas signing is accurate as we are lacking some X factor out wide and it’s where we need to hurt teams. Hoping for a good week ahead in the market or else believe Saturday will be a struggle. 

I don't know what we have planned in new signings, but I'd be surprised if we signed another wide player. We have Mehmeti , Sykes, Bell and Nelson . Even Roberts & McCrorie if you think about it. Yu is a bit of an unkown just yet , hopefully he is that bit of magic we are looking for.
If Manning is really wedded to that "10" I think we should have targeted another option by now. Leaving it very late for a new man to integrate , unless the new stories hold water.  Plus ⬇️

7 hours ago, The Masked Man said:

I like Wells in that deeper striker, not quite No.10 role. I think it might suit Fally having his movement around him. 
What I did see Saturday is Fally talking to players, they are trying to get used to each other and learn each others game. Him and Armstrong are very different so passes to one wont suit the other, That Cov game will be a good chance to see him .

Tough game Saturday, I'm still not over being robbed up there a couple of years ago. Be nice to get some luck and a good start . I think it could be a good game for Armstrong , his pace and power could be  real assets in away games. 

• Like 2

Max

Tanner      Vyner    Dickie    Pring

Bird          Knight

Sykes          Mehmeti           Bell

Armstrong

Wells is not a number 10, Bell's best games have been on the left and Sykes is our only fit Right Winger so for me it picks itself... Think Anis is our best option in there based on our current squad, I think Knight is wasted in there but does provide a good pressing option if we choose to go that way instead.

Back 7 look really strong and compact, front 4 are lacking quality and bite but at least there's pace there... Can already see where Yu will give us a different dynamic so hoping he's fit soon and desperate for a number 10.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't know what we have planned in new signings, but I'd be surprised if we signed another wide player. We have Mehmeti , Sykes, Bell and Nelson . Even Roberts & McCrorie if you think about it. Yu is a bit of an unkown just yet , hopefully he is that bit of magic we are looking for.
If Manning is really wedded to that "10" I think we should have targeted another option by now. Leaving it very late for a new man to integrate , unless the new stories hold water.  Plus ⬇️

I like Wells in that deeper striker, not quite No.10 role. I think it might suit Fally having his movement around him. 
What I did see Saturday is Fally talking to players, they are trying to get used to each other and learn each others game. Him and Armstrong are very different so passes to one wont suit the other, That Cov game will be a good chance to see him .

Tough game Saturday, I'm still not over being robbed up there a couple of years ago. Be nice to get some luck and a good start . I think it could be a good game for Armstrong , his pace and power could be  real assets in away games. 

What new storeys?

6 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

What new storeys?

Well , new to me.
Just the possible Conway to Burnley and possible swap. 
Now there seems to be others possibly showing their hands , but I'm not sure if that will affect the Twine side of things.

It could all be BS , but I think if Burnley are serious,  it makes the deal easier as I don't think we will raise our offer much whatever TC goes for. 

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mehmeti in the middle could give us something, especially with a bit more space on the road.

I thought his best game last year was away to Cardiff, playing central. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/08/2024 at 10:59, GrahamC said:

As the OP has asked the question specifically with those already at the club I’d suggest Sykes & Mayulu for Bell & Armstrong for Saturday, with the rest as per the Willem game.

Won’t be too surprised if Armstrong gets the nod though.

You might be right there Graham. With it being an away fixture I think we might have Armstrong for an hour, then Mayulu to finish.

For me it has to be the following;

MOL

Bird Knight

Sykes Wells Mehmeti 

Armstrong

Instead of pi55ing around waiting on  ST why don't we just go back to Derby and sign another one of their top players, its worked twice before.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Well , new to me.
Just the possible Conway to Burnley and possible swap. 
Now there seems to be others possibly showing their hands , but I'm not sure if that will affect the Twine side of things.

It could all be BS , but I think if Burnley are serious,  it makes the deal easier as I don't think we will raise our offer much whatever TC goes for. 

Interesting. I not years that one. Mind heard Middlesbrough are interesting in TC and 5 mil been quoted.

Why not swap Conway for Twine ?

Think I’ve settled on what I would do now. Absolutely no idea what we’ll actually be, not even sure if we’ll be a back five or four (so hopefully neither do Hull!), but I’d go:

Max

Vyner        Dickie       Roberts

McCrorie      Bird          Knight          Pring

Sykes                Mehmeti

Armstrong 

Bench: Bajic, Tanner, Naismith, TGH, Stokes, Cornick, Bell, Wells, Mayulu

Williams on the bench for Cornick if he’s back available, Hirakawa and Atkinson would be in there somewhere but for injury. 

9 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Think I’ve settled on what I would do now. Absolutely no idea what we’ll actually be, not even sure if we’ll be a back five or four (so hopefully neither do Hull!), but I’d go:

Max

Armstrong 

Williams on the bench for Cornick if he’s back available, Hirakawa and Atkinson would be in there somewhere but for injury. 

We go all pre season with a back 4 then switch to a back 3 on Day 1?

• Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Swede said:

For me it has to be the following;

MOL

Bird Knight

Sykes Wells Mehmeti 

Armstrong 

That's what I'd go with too.

The important part for me is that when we attack we get the front 4 coordinated, often with a runner from the central 2 joining for added threat.

One concern I have is Tanner and Vyner using the long ball to Armstrong too often. Hopefully the midfield option is always there for them. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We go all pre season with a back 4 then switch to a back 3 on Day 1?

I thought we’d been switching between a 5 and a 4? I’ve not had eyes on many of the pre-season games, kept getting sidetracked on matchdays!

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

I thought we’d been switching between a 5 and a 4? I’ve not had eyes on many of the pre-season games, kept getting sidetracked on matchdays!

This is true albeit our starting shape has frequently been a 4. I would have to check the sides again.

Who goes into midfield or who drops in as the 3rd CB

Bird Knight

Now if you have Naismith in front well..likewise Naismith in the back 4 he can play as the deepest midfield, e.g. Tanner and Pring can spot alongside Dickie into a back 3. Roberts also if he is LB IMO.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is true albeit our starting shape has frequently been a 4. I would have to check the sides again.

Who goes into midfield or who drops in as the 3rd CB

Bird Knight

Now if you have Naismith in front well..likewise Naismith in the back 4 he can play as the deepest midfield, e.g. Tanner and Pring can spot alongside Dickie into a back 3. Roberts also if he is LB IMO.

Tanner, Pring, Roberts, McCrorie are all capable to move alongside the centre-backs making it a lop-sided ‘three’ in certain phases. Then the other full back can foray up the field and the opposite winger can sit deeper and you sort of have a temporary 5. I’m nowhere near as tactically astute as many on here but if we start with a 4 I think we’ll see the above as we move around, probe in different ways. 

Just now, BCFCGav said:

Tanner, Pring, Roberts, McCrorie are all capable to move alongside the centre-backs making it a lop-sided ‘three’ in certain phases. Then the other full back can foray up the field and the opposite winger can sit deeper and you sort of have a temporary 5. I’m nowhere near as tactically astute as many on here but if we start with a 4 I think we’ll see the above as we move around, probe in different ways. 

Perhaps we will, less sold on McCrorie in that regard fwiw, I think Tanner, Naismith and Roberts are the best suited for that in-out way.

58 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Max

Armstrong 

I suppose looking at your post again that starting shape can become.

O'Leary

McCrorie Vyner Dickie Roberts

Bird Knight

Sykes      Mehmeti       Pring

Armstrong

In-game etc and back again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Think it will be something like the below - not too dissimilar to how we started second half against Willem.

image.png.ce194b905abfb5e38c791c87f3b82baa.png

Me too.

Only choice is between Armstrong & Mayulu.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fuber said:

Think it will be something like the below - not too dissimilar to how we started second half against Willem.

Interesting that you've gone with Mayulu over Armstrong.

I think it's fair to say that Armstrong had been the more impressive of the 2 thoughout pre-season, up until the Willem game. That Willem game definitely acted as a point in Mayulu's favour, IMO.

A couple of other arguments in favour of Mayulu to start vs Hull:

• Perhaps the differing fortunes of Mayulu and Armstrong in pre-season is partly a reflection of their different playing styles. On poorer quality lower league pitches, the physical Armstrong looked more effective. On a crisp Championship pitch at AG, we got to see Mayulu's tidiness on the ball (and relatively speaking, Armstrong looked much "messier"). Maybe the surfaces we've been playing on have inhibited Mayulu slightly, and you'd imagine that would be less of an issue on a Championship pitch vs Hull?

• I think there's an argument to say that we may have signed Mayulu and Armstrong for different types of games - Armstrong for games in which we plan to sit deep and break at pace, and Mayulu for games in which we expect to dominate possession and want to make use of his interplay around the edge of the box. Given that I don't think Hull look particularly strong right now, I'd expect us to dominate the game, hence Mayulu may be the better fit.
Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fuber said:

I think Manning will go with Armstrong over Mayulu, mainly based on the minutes Armstrong and Wells have played together in preseason.

I’d go with Sykes over Bell too, as the only change to the Willem game.

• Like 3