IGNORED

Luke McNally : Officially signed (4 year deal)

INCRED

2 minutes ago, INCRED said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-bristol-city-consider-ambitious-9451900?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Surprised a CB has been mentioned as part of a possible swap deal with Burnley for Conway in addition to Twine 

Thought we were pretty well stocked in defence?

If this kid comes in we might see one go out or someone like Naismith simply not considered for a defensive role unless we have a huge injury crisis. On first glance this doesn't look like a bad signing at all if it comes off and is the difference maker in getting Conway out of the building? 

• Like 1

Just now, Numero Uno said:

If this kid comes in we might see one go out or someone like Naismith simply not considered for a defensive role unless we have a huge injury crisis. On first glance this doesn't look like a bad signing at all if it comes off and is the difference maker in getting Conway out of the building? 

Yeah, quite possible that LM wants something different to Naismith who appears to be a liability regards availability albeit a good player 

Didn’t see it coming but if there is a swap deal for Conway to bring in both of these players from Burnley then it makes sense

• Like 1

Another CB is massively left field. First thought is offloading Naismith but has anyone seen Roberts in pre season? Just realised he hasn't been in any of the squads and not sure I've missed an injury announcement 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TammyAB said:

So we could have a complete Oxford back three?

McNally - Dickie - Atkinson

Why go back 4 in pre-season then.

Slightly bigger risk of incoherent strategy. Fine line between flexible a versatile on one hand..and mess on the other.

Vyner and Dickie as it stands feel like the cornerstone?

With O'Leary behind in goal obvs.

• Like 1

This feels excessive,, he would be coming in looking for a starting position, and he is a good player. Unless there are doubts about naismith and atkinson, and probably roberts, we surely need to be using the funds for a number 10 or a keeper?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Slightly bigger risk of incoherent strategy. Fine line between flexible a versatile on one hand..and mess on the other.

Just pointing out that if this happens we could theoretically play those 3 Oxford favourites at the back in the same team

For all we know Atkinson may struggle after a couple of serious injuries, may not fit into mannings plans. 

Naismith more than likely offloaded next summer if not sooner as OOC

Tanner / McCorie right backs

Pring / Roberts left backs

that leaves Dickie Vyner. 

who knows!

• Flames 1

The best teams in the division have depth in every area. McNally would certainly improve us, in an area where we have been hit with injuries in recent times.

Really liked him during his loan spell at Coventry, where he seemed very comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

To get both him and Twine, in exchange for Conway, seems almost too good a deal. 

• Like 1

I think it's a good opportunity to try and get a good player (no matter what position) that was definitely not in the initial plans but has now appeared due to their interest in one of our players.

If we sign him it will either give us good competition at the back, we will now switch to a back three, a defender will leave or we will stay with a back four and either McNally or Vyner goes to RB (OUT OF POSSESSION, BACK THREE IN POSSESSION AS ALWAYS) to allow all three of McNally, Vyner and Dickie to start.

9 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Another CB is massively left field. First thought is offloading Naismith but has anyone seen Roberts in pre season? Just realised he hasn't been in any of the squads and not sure I've missed an injury announcement 

I don't think it is massively left field if we plan on going with 3 at the back. 

We have - Atkinson, Dickie, Vyner and Naismith as recognised cbs. We also have Roberts and Tanner that can fill in there. 

You only need one injury and then were down to the barebones if playing with 3 at the back. 

I think cb was the next position to recruit for after signing strikers and a 10. 

• Like 1

He's a right sided centre back. So generally this should have nothing to do with Naismith, Atkinson, Roberts or Dickie (although Dickie can play the right side aswell) and more to do with Vyner and Tanner since they will play the same position.

Edited by MythikRobins

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

@Davefevs as part of a back 3, what position in that back 3 does McNally play? I think Coventry played with a back 3 when he played for them? 

He played on the right of the 3 pretty much every time, including in the PO Final vs Luton

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Like you, @Mr Popodopolous, I've struggled to see the big-picture plan with our recruitment this summer.

I was starting to think that we might be moving forward with a back 4 this season. If we were to bring in McNally, that would probably be an indicator of a back 3. (Assuming we don't sell any of the defenders we currently have).

Some decent players, but difficult to predict how it all comes together.

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Flames 1

With regards Naismith, could push him forward as I like him as a defensive midfielder, as someone who can play a good ball and cover defensively, would not be totally surprised to see either Vyner or Pring leave as bound to be interest in them

• Like 1

I really don’t understand what our strategy is here, are we really needing another CB on a decent wage? Are we just collecting players for the sake of it? We want wingers one minute, then we want potentially another right winger, then a CB who best plays in a back 3 which likely neglects wingers…..I honesty am not convinced Tinnion and Manning have a plan here! Feels like championship manager. Hope I’m wrong but feels like the LJ and Ashton era is repeating itself after Nige brought some stability and sensible management. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

I have never known us to be this stacked at Centre Back to be honest, so i'd be surprised if a new one come in. However, I would like to see Naismith in a more advanced position.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Zak vyner for me graham for to inconsistent world class one minuete parks player the next

Genuinely laughable.

Although Naismith might not be like for like with this chap, considering his age & what we’ve had back so far for his contract, I’d say he’s far more likely to drop out than Dickie, Vyner, Atkinson or Roberts.

Could do with the latter being fit though.

• Like 3

As players today are more versatile as to the positions they can play, my guess is Manning does know what he is doing and sees any new players not just bolstering a position, but releasing others already here to change positions, Manning having seen them in training over an extended period.

8 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

With regards Naismith, could push him forward as I like him as a defensive midfielder, as someone who can play a good ball and cover defensively, would not be totally surprised to see either Vyner or Pring leave as bound to be interest in them

No notable need to sell anyone we don't want to after all of the hard work clearing the issues.

Vyner is part of the cornerstone albeit he and Pring certainly could attract interest agreed on that.

• Like 1

Interesting. He's a good player. A stand out at Oxford and 2 rather successful loans at Coventry and Stoke. Can't ignore the fact he would be another addition to our Irish contingent!

I agree we are rather stacked in the CB department. But we all know depth in squad is a necessity for success in this league. I suppose it does 'block' potential pathways for some of our academy lads, and we seem to have a few decent ones in the pipeline in that role. Unless of course the club are anticipating a few outgoings...

Interesting times ahead!

Edited by HOZDA
  • Like 2

If we could do Twine and McNally for Conway that'd be a phenomenal bit of business imo. Stacked at centre-half, granted, but if plan A is a back 3 you need an extra two to account for that extra central defender. 

Two capable Championship players, with the potential to become very good Championship players, for one. I'd be over the moon.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was interest in Dickie, especially if he starts the seasons as he played last year. He got him at below his true value, City could see him as our most profitable player (with Vyner) once Conway goes.

32 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

@Davefevs as part of a back 3, what position in that back 3 does McNally play? I think Coventry played with a back 3 when he played for them? 

Here’s what I posted on the Conway thread, to save me typing out again!

IMG_1218.thumb.jpeg.6d7f38bcded2f45bd8dfa264814f024f.jpeg

He's a right sided CB, as others have said.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

The fees involved would seem odd to me.

It seems Burnley value Twine at a higher value than Conway, so surely they’d want cash from us as well?

They don’t.

We know Boro’s offer for Conway is £5m, but we don’t know how that’s made up.

Burnley don’t rate Twine at £5m, more like £3.5m to £4m.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I really don’t understand what our strategy is here, are we really needing another CB on a decent wage? Are we just collecting players for the sake of it? We want wingers one minute, then we want potentially another right winger, then a CB who best plays in a back 3 which likely neglects wingers…..I honesty am not convinced Tinnion and Manning have a plan here! Feels like championship manager. Hope I’m wrong but feels like the LJ and Ashton era is repeating itself after Nige brought some stability and sensible management. 

to be fair, one comment on a thread doesn't mean we were after a winger... It's just speculation. 

We don't play a traditional formation anymore; It's fairly fluid and interchangeable under Manning. We've "played 4231" all pre-season, but it's been 32311 in possession and 442 out of possession blending into a 424 pressing shape when we execute our triggers. 

Also; Pearson himself felt we were one RCB short at the end of his last window, so one presumes there was joined up thinking with BT on that front. 

• Thanks 1

With Max playing for RoI and Zac now for Kenya, with all these Mick's and Ross the Jock, do they still count as 'home grown' if they're internationals elsewhere? If they don't, are we okay for 'home-grown' numbers?

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

The fees involved would seem odd to me.

It seems Burnley value Twine at a higher value than Conway, so surely they’d want cash from us as well?

As per yesterday, and my continual agreeing with @Selred, TC is more valuable than Twine.  McNally is a makeweight in this.  Not a bad one mind you, but helpful for Burnley to lose a non-homegrown player (McNally) as part of it, and swap one homegrown (Twine) for another (Conway).  Clears a bit of wages, and allows them to go into the market.

They've been watching Tommy for over 12 months.

This has legs.  No idea how far down the line it is, could just be preliminary discussions.  I was dropped a hint with no details the other night.  It was too cryptic though!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

With Max playing for RoI and Zac now for Kenya, with all these Mick's and Ross the Jock, do they still count as 'home grown' if they're internationals elsewhere? If they don't, are we okay for 'home-grown' numbers?

Isn't it where they were trained which is important not what national team they play for? McNally came through in Ireland so he isn't homegrown however Max and Zak came through here so they still count as home-grown I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

As per yesterday, and my continual agreeing with @Selred, TC is more valuable than Twine.  McNally is a makeweight in this.  Not a bad one mind you, but helpful for Burnley to lose a non-homegrown player (McNally) as part of it, and swap one homegrown (Twine) for another (Conway).  Clears a bit of wages, and allows them to go into the market.

They've been watching Tommy for over 12 months.

This has legs.  No idea how far down the line it is, could just be preliminary discussions.  I was dropped a hint with no details the other night.  It was too cryptic though!

Oh I agree Conway is more valuable than Twine, just didn’t think Burnley thought the same.

Interesting development, which would hint as a back 3 with wing backs will be preferred. This concerns me as we only seem to have one proven natural WB (Pring), one unproven as of yet (McCorie) than a bunch of blokes who prefer to play CB, RB or RW.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MythikRobins said:

Isn't it where they were trained which is important not what national team they play for? McNally came through in Ireland so he isn't homegrown however Max and Zak came through here so they still count as home-grown I'm sure.

To be sure, to be sure.  You are correct though.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Redhed123 said:

Probably Roberts on way out

Jeez lads we really do look on the bright side , don’t think Roberts going anywhere and no reason to think Vyner etc injured but we’ll see 🙄

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

They don’t.

We know Boro’s offer for Conway is £5m, but we don’t know how that’s made up.

Burnley don’t rate Twine at £5m, more like £3.5m to £4m.

The point which a few seem to be missing is, as of right now, Burnley have to come up with something that matches Middlesbrough otherwise we reject their offer. Conway currently has no say in it (see rider below) as he’s still our player. They are competing with Middlesbrough and have seemingly found a way that doesn’t involve paying cash (net) but matches or even betters depending on your viewpoint the offer we have already received. If Burnley want the player they have to budge, not us.

The one spanner in the works is Tommy saying “no way am I going to Middlesbrough”. That weakens our position significantly then.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

I don't know MR, hence the question. I would hope you're right but I have no idea if international players would still count.

Just now, City Slicker said:

He won't say that though as he wants a bidding war as much as the rest of us. He's clearly about the cash now. 

Hope you are right. That way we maximise the value on a player who clearly has no interest in staying at the club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, City Slicker said:

He won't say that though as he wants a bidding war as much as the rest of us. He's clearly about the cash now. 

Maybe but he may also see Burnley as the best route to the PL.

Which leaves this deal which is of an unclear structure.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

The point which a few seem to be missing is, as of right now, Burnley have to come up with something that matches Middlesbrough otherwise we reject their offer. Conway currently has no say in it (see rider below) as he’s still our player. They are competing with Middlesbrough and have seemingly found a way that doesn’t involve paying cash (net) but matches or even betters depending on your viewpoint the offer we have already received. If Burnley want the player they have to budge, not us.

The one spanner in the works is Tommy saying “no way am I going to Middlesbrough”. That weakens our position significantly then.

Don’t think the last bit is likely..

I guess we are looking to do a deal that secures our number one target of the summer & then after that, because we value Conway higher, either a cash adjustment, or because Burnley currently have a squad that numbers in the high 30s, a further makeweight that we think strengthens us & Burnley are content to shed.

It sounds complicated (because it is) but we already know Conway wants to leave & Twine wants to return to the South West, so that definitely helps matters.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe but he may also see Burnley as the best route to the PL.

Which leaves this deal which is of an unclear structure.

Would be interesting if Middlesbrough came back with a better counter offer of more dough up front though!! Personally I think the Burnley offer, if we’ve interpreted it correctly, is a better one as it stands.

• Like 1

This is in absolute no brainer. Both improve the first team and squad massively. As others have said Naismith can’t be relied on, Atkinson could just as easy get himself injured for a year again and we’re back to the bare bones. Equally if all stay fit we’ve got amazing competition and rotation. Get this done! 

• Like 1

I would suggest all of the talk of TC has rather allowed approaches for other players to slip under the radar a bit. 

I can’t help thinking we will likely have a thread about another outgoing before to long!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Negan said:

This is in absolute no brainer. Both improve the first team and squad massively. As others have said Naismith can’t be relied on, Atkinson could just as easy get himself injured for a year again and we’re back to the bare bones. Equally if all stay fit we’ve got amazing competition and rotation. Get this done! 

That’s where I’m at.