IGNORED

Luke McNally : Officially signed (4 year deal)

INCRED

6 minutes ago, One Team said:

Great to see him come in, but is he any good? 

Well, I've not seen him play nor have I spoken to anyone who's seen him play but, no, he's shite and not what we need - apparently he missed a header once and teams have conceded goals with him in the side.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, cheese said:

Well, I've not seen him play nor have I spoken to anyone who's seen him play but, no, he's shite and not what we need - apparently he missed a header once and teams have conceded goals with him in the side.

If it helps, I signed him for City once on Football Manager. He constantly complained about not being first choice and ultimately moved to Norwich on a free transfer. I think that tells us everything we need to know about him. 

• Haha 14

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

@Fjmcity why the laughing emoji at tammy’s post . If you can’t see what he’s said is true , then you’ve either been in a coma for 4 years or have no grasp as to what’s been happening at the club. Pearson & Gould have 100% laid the foundations for this summers rebuild . 

Exactly.

Some fans don't see the bigger picture clearly.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Nige and Gould paved the way for this summer of spending, a good time to remember their great work as we support the new manager

He was at the cricket in Taunton yesterday, if I see him there today I might ask his thoughts on all the spending at the club this summer.

Or, I might just let him enjoy the cricket

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

54 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Easily into 8 figure spending this window I think, closer to 15 if you include Max Bird. Didn’t think we’d take this big of a swing tbh. 

Obviously recouping some of it with the Conway deal but a big summer either way. 

15 figure window? 🎣🤣

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Absolutely.

Richard Gould did an outstanding job and it's almost noticeable how unnoticeable he was. We obviously couldn't stand in the way of his ideal job but he was a heck of a loss to the club.

Nigel Pearson took a club on a rapid downward trajectory and rebuilt the culture and structure and worked with the club to make the tough short-term decisions needed for a total financial reset , which we're now reaping the rewards of.

There's been a few posts over the summer asking why we're letting Manning spend money when we never let Pearson do so. Whilst Pearson's sacking still leaves a sour taste, the simple answer is because a lot of work went into the last three summers to make sure we could get back to a position where we could spend money again. We'd have found it tough to spend up until the end of last summer whoever the manager was and I think we'd have spent a decent amount this summer regardless of whether there had been a change of manager. For all the heated Pearson v Manning discussions on here - which are rather silly as I suspect neither bear the other the slightest bit of animosity - the reality is Manning is building on a platform Pearson created.

Now let's hope we've got the right players to take us forward...

I've seen it mentioned on here loads of times that, the next manager after Pearson will be the one who benefits from his work the most. And that that would be the time we actually have a successful season and maybe even (cough) promotion.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

I've seen it mentioned on here loads of times that, the next manager after Pearson will be the one who benefits from his work the most. And that that would be the time we actually have a successful season and maybe even (cough) promotion.

As it was at Leicester

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

It’s a loan

Oh! No it's Not!................and to  continue the pantomime theme..........He's behind You!! (With a 4 year contract in his pocket)

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Topper 123 said:

Going by Coventry managers quotes Bristol city have better players this season than last so some of our signings must be right 

I think he’s played enough championship football to know his way around,having had a full season at stoke last year and a season with cov the year before including the full 120 minutes in covs play off final so I think it’s a great signing at the right age 24 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Topper 123 said:

Going by Coventry managers quotes Bristol city have better players this season than last so some of our signings must be right 

I think most Bristol City fans think the same, don’t they?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

To me, the mark of a genuinely good manager is not what they achieve but the situation their successor inherits...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

even Nige said it in one of his interviews.  and fwiw, he thinks weve added some good players to the squad this summer

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

If it helps, I signed him for City once on Football Manager. He constantly complained about not being first choice and ultimately moved to Norwich on a free transfer. I think that tells us everything we need to know about him. 

That’s what cup games are for 

Just now, Betty Swallocks said:

Normal procedure goes out of the window on deadline day. 

Decent point - perhaps the club wanted to make the announcement prior to midday in order to make it clear that McNally should be available for this weekend.

Still, I suppose there's no reason why we couldn't have announced it at 6pm and just included a note of the above.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think most Bristol City fans think the same, don’t they?

We still haven't got enough depth in key positions, but while we are in the championship we have to expect this,

I would of liked someone like John Ruddy to come in as a number 2 for a season as well,

• Like 2

Just now, brady bunch said:

I suspect it allows us to sell one of our other "marketable" players PRing or Vyner for example. no inside knowledge, but just a gut feel.

Even if we do, its still been a great window for us.

Long term perhaps, but for the here and now it covers us for the injured Dickie and the returning to fitness Atkinson and I strongly suspect that's the main motivation for his signing.

• Like 3

• Admin
4 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

I suspect it allows us to sell one of our other "marketable" players PRing or Vyner for example. no inside knowledge, but just a gut feel.

Even if we do, its still been a great window for us.

I only suspect we may do this if a promotion push looks unachievable in January. For now, it very much looks like "going for it v2.0" - lots of deals but on a lower spend than the LJ-era of "going for it v1.0"

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

48 minutes ago, 2015 said:

True though. Happy with the signings, but no one can say he hasn't been backed..

But still the last dying embers of Nigel burns bright for some. He,Liam was always going to be backed, for whatever reasons Nige wasn't going to be supported, perhaps his stubborness with not using the loan market? 

Still think we need a nippy 'jack in the box' type striker.

Whilst a few on here think it's a signing we didn't need to make,I believe that the board have a belief that we could be in the promotion shake up Come the end of the season otherwise the club would not of backed Manning. 

Whilst we have quite a few centre halfs 2 of them are very injury prone. 

There is an obvious difference from past seasons to our squad with regards to strength in depth which can only be a huge positive for the season ahead. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

But still the last dying embers of Nigel burns bright for some. He,Liam was always going to be backed, for whatever reasons Nige wasn't going to be supported, perhaps his stubborness with not using the loan market? 

Not for me pal, sounds like it's still burning bright for you. What's wrong with just pointing out that Liam is being heavily backed by our board and there aren't really any excuses in that department? My fear is we saw the same under the Johnson reign and it cost us.

And if we had a nippy 'jack in the box' type striker it might make us worse overall as a team imo.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, j1974 said:

Whilst a few on here think it's a signing we didn't need to make,I believe that the board have a belief that we could be in the promotion shake up Come the end of the season otherwise the club would not of backed Manning. 

Whilst we have quite a few centre halfs 2 of them are very injury prone. 

There is an obvious difference from past seasons to our squad with regards to strength in depth which can only be a huge positive for the season ahead. 

Our bench against Coventry was scary.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Long term perhaps, but for the here and now it covers us for the injured Dickie and the returning to fitness Atkinson and I strongly suspect that's the main motivation for his signing.

So, does that mean either Vyner or McNally can play on the left then? That's what would be needed if he is considered cover for Dickie/Atkinson isn't it?

Obviously helps us if ZV is out so improves the depth, whether it improves the first 11 I guess we will find out. Almost feels to me that if the logic is better cover that GK was the obvious priority rather than CB.

42 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

That’s what cup games are for 

This is just it though. I'm a heavy rotator on Football Manager.

I'll have 22 players I trust (with four or five back-ups) and rotate the entire outfield 10 for any midweek game to keep everyone fresh. Any player in my first 22 is guaranteed at least 15 or so starts a season, even without injuries. And STILL McNally complained.

I just hope Manning has realised the kind of character we're dealing with. 

• Haha 11

11 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Not for me pal, sounds like it's still burning bright for you. What's wrong with just pointing out that Liam is being heavily backed by our board and there aren't really any excuses in that department? My fear is we saw the same under the Johnson reign and it cost us.

And if we had a nippy 'jack in the box' type striker it might make us worse overall as a team imo.

For me the difference with the signings this summer and Johnson’s is that we had little in the way of a plan, we were just collecting bodies (such as Palmer, Smodicz and Paterson fighting it out for one place). The only one you could question is how Earthy will be utilised to maximum effect. Liam certainly can’t use not backed as an excuse though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

For me the difference with the signings this summer and Johnson’s is that we had little in the way of a plan, we were just collecting bodies (such as Palmer, Smodicz and Paterson fighting it out for one place). The only one you could question is how Earthy will be utilised to maximum effect. Liam certainly can’t use not backed as an excuse though.

I agree, we are making signings with a purpose to make us a better team, rather than collecting individuals 'Clubs in the bag'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

@Fjmcity why the laughing emoji at tammy’s post . If you can’t see what he’s said is true , then you’ve either been in a coma for 4 years or have no grasp as to what’s been happening at the club. Pearson & Gould have 100% laid the foundations for this summers rebuild . 

Yes lest we forget nige died so Liam manning could live

hope you called out the other two that found the post hilarious 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

52 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

The loan market stuff is tiresome & been done to death. He was not stubborn with loans, the quality of loan player we’d have been after to improve us needed transfer level fees so were totally nonsensical. 

i.e Jake O’Brien. He spoke at length about palace requiring us to pay double his wages to get him in for 5 months.

What is the use in that?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

The two who responded AFTER he'd written his post? Pretty sure he isn't a time traveller.

Besides, you're ducking a perfectly reasonable question. Your reaction implies that you think the frugal spending, clearing out players who were underperforming and development of youth players leading to around £40 million received for Semenyo, Scott and Conway combined - all of which pretty indisputably happened as a result of Gould and Pearson's time in charge - did NOT improve our financial position to a point where we could spend money now. It'd be interesting to know your perspective. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Decent point - perhaps the club wanted to make the announcement prior to midday in order to make it clear that McNally should be available for this weekend.

Still, I suppose there's no reason why we couldn't have announced it at 6pm and just included a note of the above.

The media team will know that fans/public will be keeping an eye on socials more on deadline day than they would on a normal Friday. 

Everything is done to farm engagement in what they post, there’s little need to hang on until 6pm on TDD. 

24 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Great new signing but ,once again, according to the gospel it's thanks to Pearson one way or another.

Personally, my thanks ,once again, go to the brilliant Steve Lansdown who continues to fund our loss making Club. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 3

56 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Why would you even correlate the present with what happened under Nige, perhaps only if you haven't yet bought in to the new ways? Not blaming you for that if it is the case, but you 'fear' all this activity, and go further back to Johnson to make your point, well not really sure if we hadn't signed anyone that would have suited many apart from you? But you did state you were pleased, which rather contradicts .

Of course a striker as described would be a huge asset why on Earth would you think not? 

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The two who responded AFTER he'd written his post? Pretty sure he isn't a time traveller.

Besides, you're ducking a perfectly reasonable question. Your reaction implies that you think the frugal spending, clearing out players who were underperforming and development of youth players leading to around £40 million received for Semenyo, Scott and Conway combined - all of which pretty indisputably happened as a result of Gould and Pearson's time in charge - did NOT improve our financial position to a point where we could spend money now. It'd be interesting to know your perspective. 

100% true, it’s just the canonisation of nige is always faintly amusing. The club had to cut its cloth accordingly and did so in order to rebuild. to refer it back to nige to fill the quota of saying his name in every thread is just pointless. He did a job, a good job but that was the brief at the time. The subtext is always that he is some great old man planning the seeds for an oak he would never sit under. We will be singing “one man had a dream soon” 

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The loan market stuff is tiresome & been done to death. He was not stubborn with loans, the quality of loan player we’d have been after to improve us needed transfer level fees so were totally nonsensical. 

i.e Jake O’Brien. He spoke at length about palace requiring us to pay double his wages to get him in for 5 months.

What is the use in that?

He was stubborn with loans, he did not like them, fact.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, petehinton said:

What is the use in that?

5 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

There is truth to all elements, but we were not in a position really FFP and planning wise until perhaps such time as Semenyo went.

The fact that we didn't sign a player for a fee of any kind from late August 2021 to late January 2023 should tell a story. Thete is an element of hedging in his comments.

I'm sure we were either self-imposed or working with the League to avoid breaching FFP.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

That is not being stubborn, it is making a decision. He preferred to develop our own youth players. It is a question of opinion what is the better approach, but stubborn is the wrong word to use. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Why would you even correlate the present with what happened under Nige, perhaps only if you haven't yet bought in to the new ways? Not blaming you for that if it is the case, but you 'fear' all this activity, and go further back to Johnson to make your point, well not really sure if we hadn't signed anyone that would have suited many apart from you? But you did state you were pleased, which rather contradicts .

Of course a striker as described would be a huge asset why on Earth would you think not? 

The reason you have to correlate the past to what is happening in the present day is because if the club hasn't learned from what happened under previous regimes then we could potentially see a repeat of what has happened before. 

Regarding my 'contradiction' - nonsense that is. You can be both pleased with the transfer business and also slightly concerned about how much we have spent (because as Bristol City fans we've seen this all before). Cautiously optimistic is the best approach with this, I guess the proof will be in the pudding as to how good this transfer market has really been.

Regarding a striker I think not because so far from what I've seen we have been playing far better football for the first 4 matches of this campaign than any of last season with a fox in the box striker up front. That's a massive compliment to Manning that is on identifying forward players who compliment the players around them. Armstrong and Fally will make us a better team.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

100% true, it’s just the canonisation of nige is always faintly amusing. The club had to cut its cloth accordingly and did so in order to rebuild. to refer it back to nige to fill the quota of saying his name in every thread is just pointless. He did a job, a good job but that was the brief at the time. The subtext is always that he is some great old man planning the seeds for an oak he would never sit under. We will be singing “one man had a dream soon” 

Well, he ought to be, because we (City) usually find ourselves resetting in the 3rd Tier.

And your belittling of him (and constant emojis) pretty much shows you don’t really understand why Manning was able to take over in such a good position to (hopefully) move us forward.

He pretty much did plant the seeds, he did it for the club, not for himself.

• Like 12
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2

13 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I'm finding it strange we are still rehashing old Nige conversations in a new permanent signings topic. It's been done to death. 

Because he was a huge part in why we can spend money now.  We were allowed to say the same with SOD and Cotts providing a foundation for Johnson, weren’t we?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well, he ought to be, because we (City) usually find ourselves resetting in the 3rd Tier.

And your belittling of him (and constant emojis) pretty much shows you don’t really understand why Manning was able to take over in such a good position to (hopefully) move us forward.

He pretty much did plant the seeds, he did it for the club, not for himself.

Yeah some people really don't get the bigger picture.

Him, his Coaching Team and Gould basically saved our medium term future.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1