IGNORED

Luke McNally : Officially signed (4 year deal)

INCRED

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because he was a huge part in why we can spend money.  We were allowed to say the same with SOD and Cotts providing a foundation for Johnson, weren’t we?

Maybe that should be it's own topic then surely? That's definitely a larger point of discussion not really pertinent to McNally. 

If people want to discuss that feel free to start the topic. I'll be honest I won't be contributing because I've heard it all before. 

• Like 3

Just now, RedRoss said:

Maybe that should be it's own topic then surely? That's definitely a larger point of discussion not really pertinent to McNally. 

If people want to discuss that feel free to start the topic. I'll be honest I won't be contributing because I've heard it all before. 

But all threads meander off and back on track, it’s the nature of discussion. I could argue that some people are bigger culprits in keeping them off track than those taking them off track in the first place.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't want to sound churlish but the Championship is a bin fire money wise so you kinda need to sustain Losses in many cases.

Clearly SL has invested a lot and there are certain other matters that he should be praised for but some of his Losses are due to his own expansive actions.

I won't slate him for having a go but he did have too loose a hand on the tiller between say 2017 and 2020.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't want to sound churlish but the Championship is a binfire money wise so you kinda need to sustain Losses in many cases.

Clearly SL has invested a lot and there are certain other matters that he should be praised for but some of his Losses are due to his own expansive actions.

I won't slate him for having a go but he did have too loose a hand on the tiller between say 2017 and 2020.

“Breaking: Owner funds thing he is responsible for funding”

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well, he ought to be, because we (City) usually find ourselves resetting in the 3rd Tier.

And your belittling of him (and constant emojis) pretty much shows you don’t really understand why Manning was able to take over in such a good position to (hopefully) move us forward.

He pretty much did plant the seeds, he did it for the club, not for himself.

Some fans may have their agenda's. I think there was always a section of our fanbase who refused to support NP in any way because of the signing of Danny Simpson. 

I reiterate as I've said on OTIB before the 3 months before NP took over was some of the worst football I have seen from any Championship side. A bunch of players who'd be called Cowboy Builders in tradesman terms who were seeing out the season playing half heartedly to see their contract run out in the Summer of 2021. 

A total shambles on and off the pitch and thanks to NP and Richard Gould we were able to steady a sinking ship by making us competitive and able to survive in this League without breaching FFP.

We'll continue to go over and over this because many fans simply look at results only and not the bigger picture, that's fine but results always come with a wider context for me.

• Like 13

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well, he ought to be, because we (City) usually find ourselves resetting in the 3rd Tier.

And your belittling of him (and constant emojis) pretty much shows you don’t really understand why Manning was able to take over in such a good position to (hopefully) move us forward.

He pretty much did plant the seeds, he did it for the club, not for himself.

Yes, because it was his job to do so and he was rewarded financially for it.

You might well mean “he did it for the club” on these terms but I fear you actually are thinking a little deeper which would be as tragic as it is hilarious 

• Confused 2

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't want to sound churlish but the Championship is a bin fire money wise so you kinda need to sustain Losses in many cases.

I won't slate him for having a go but he did have too loose  a hand on the tiller between say 2017 and 2020.

I can't see him making that mistake again.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fjmcity said:

Yes, because it was his job to do so and he was rewarded financially for it.

You might well mean “he did it for the club” on these terms but I fear you actually are thinking a little deeper which would be as tragic as it is hilarious 

What are you on about?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But all threads meander off and back on track, it’s the nature of discussion. I could argue that some people are bigger culprits in keeping them off track than those taking them off track in the first place.

What's your favourite type of cake Dave? 😉

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, pillred said:

I can't see him making that mistake again.

Tend to agree, but we've been here before.

11 and a bit years ago SL declared he was embarrassed at £50m or so in 6 seasons- unsure if that is double counting for Ashton Vale related stuff but he did declare he was embarrassed.

This was post Relegation to the Third Tier and thus the 5 Pillars were sprung out of the ground.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tend to agree, but we've been here before.

11 and a bit years ago SL declared he was embarrassed at £50m or so in 6 seasons- unsure if that is double counting for Ashton Vale related stuff but he did declare he was embarrassed.

This was post Relegation to the Third Tier and thus the 5 Pillars were sprung out of the ground.

Also @pillred

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23501929

It's about 10 mins long but it's quite an interesting interview. A reasonable chunk of what SL said has come to pass, otoh he didn't forecast mad Spending Spree under LJ and co.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Screenshot_20240830-125811_Chrome.thumb.jpg.47777fb1d7b6057942502c2546f272fd.jpgScreenshot_20240830-125912_Chrome.thumb.jpg.54371768e6c4075a41ee071a87777e1f.jpgScreenshot_20240830-125840_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ba46823eac4abcbd01f25cacf7a501e2.jpgScreenshot_20240830-125823_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8ecc588bd4148300c496ee994bab3aa4.jpgScreenshot_20240830-125852_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8bc205bb5a2da3300375ab97eac66c1c.jpg

Interesting that Robins mentions Conway and leading the press, given he has been criticised on here for various out of Possession aspects.

I thought Conways out of possession game was never in question, it was more hold up play wasn't it ?

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

The reason you have to correlate the past to what is happening in the present day is because if the club hasn't learned from what happened under previous regimes then we could potentially see a repeat of what has happened before. 

Regarding my 'contradiction' - nonsense that is. You can be both pleased with the transfer business and also slightly concerned about how much we have spent (because as Bristol City fans we've seen this all before). Cautiously optimistic is the best approach with this, I guess the proof will be in the pudding as to how good this transfer market has really been.

Regarding a striker I think not because so far from what I've seen we have been playing far better football for the first 4 matches of this campaign than any of last season with a fox in the box striker up front. That's a massive compliment to Manning that is on identifying forward players who compliment the players around them. Armstrong and Fally will make us a better team.

'Pleased but slightly concerned' I gave up after that.

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

I'm finding it strange we are still rehashing old Nige conversations in a new permanent signings topic. It's been done to death. 

Some people just can't let it go, do i keep going on and on about Joe Jordan's departure in 1990? (it still hurts)   

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In the spirit of wandering slightly but not completely off track, has the RoI squad been announced. Any links?!

37 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Some people just can't let it go, do i keep going on and on about Joe Jordan's departure in 1990? (it still hurts)   

There is a bit of a difference here though.

The hierarchy or some of them, are of questionable competence and integrity and are still in situ.

They need watching closely and critiqued and analysed where required.

(Putting aside the ethics of the sacking and the very different budget plus the bullshit claims).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Welcome Luke…

"Luke...........I am your Father"   I am so looking forward to the Millennium Falcon taking off this season?             

Edited by maxjak

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Interesting point Major.

It seems that when "we" are losing money, it's Steve's club and when anything good happens- it's ours again. It's "our" money when we sell the crown jewels and definitely more so "our" money particularly if there's a duff signing. It's the way football goes but as you live in France and support from your Chaise Longue- peut etre auras-tu oblie?

Steve is the owner but more importantly the Custodian of a deeply important  Bristol community 'asset'. I think he's been a brilliant one overall and just continues to ensure the best for his/our/the club. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

So with the signings & spending, surely this now makes it a season from "improve from last year" to "play-offs is the expectation"? For me, anything lower than 8th has to be classed as unsuccessful - before the Twine signing  would have said 12th-9th is reasonable, but has to be an aim for top 6 now.

Has to be. Anything less than a playoff push would be a failure

• Like 2

As a Club, I think we’re now in quite a good place. The owners, clearly, have not ‘given up’ and are continuing to invest  and, perhaps, a bit more wisely than previously. The squad now has a decent depth, with some quality Academy products edging closer for inclusion. The manager, I’m beginning to warm too, he clearly is a hard worker, more importantly he’s demonstrating a smartness about his ways. The results aren’t bad and performances entertaining with skill, commitment, power and energy…and, critically, attacking intent. 

May be going a bit early on this …. but good work SL/JL and Tins. Still many issues to be resolved before we become a top drawer Club but heading in the right direction imo.

Post set us up nicely for a Derby 4 City 0 result tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

100% true, it’s just the canonisation of nige is always faintly amusing. The club had to cut its cloth accordingly and did so in order to rebuild. to refer it back to nige to fill the quota of saying his name in every thread is just pointless. He did a job, a good job but that was the brief at the time. The subtext is always that he is some great old man planning the seeds for an oak he would never sit under. We will be singing “one man had a dream soon” 

That's a fair answer. Thanks for taking the time to provide it. 

• Like 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Screenshot_20240830-125811_Chrome.thumb.jpg.47777fb1d7b6057942502c2546f272fd.jpgScreenshot_20240830-125912_Chrome.thumb.jpg.54371768e6c4075a41ee071a87777e1f.jpgScreenshot_20240830-125840_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ba46823eac4abcbd01f25cacf7a501e2.jpgScreenshot_20240830-125823_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8ecc588bd4148300c496ee994bab3aa4.jpgScreenshot_20240830-125852_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8bc205bb5a2da3300375ab97eac66c1c.jpg

Interesting that Robins mentions Conway and leading the press, given he has been criticised on here for various out of Possession aspects.

Someone needs to tell Robins to move on and stop bringing up Nige. Jeez!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Yes lest we forget nige died so Liam manning could live

hope you called out the other two that found the post hilarious 

What are you talking about . You obviously got a problem with Pearson. If you can’t see how he brought the wage bill down , reduced the size of an unbalanced squad. Brought through the kids , whilst never being in relegation trouble & spending no money .  All  problems being created by Lansdown, Johnson & Ashton . He got them out of the shit & left a clean slate for them to build on by selling £35m of talent as well. 
It’s not a manning v Pearson thing , I’m stating facts that without him & Gould doing that then we could have easily gone down . I called you out because you were the first & I haven’t looked at the thread since , so stop crying . 
If you can’t have the common decency to acknowledge what they did for the club then you’re a 🤡

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

You appear to be another who doesn't get the bigger picture @Fjmcity ?

Imagine a world in which Johnson and Ashton remain in situ to navigate those problems. Or even some fussy prissy character ike Scott Parker (as a manager not a player) or a relatively overrated Steve Cooper albeit less applicable in his case.

Could you imagine the mess we may have ended up in. We could easily have got relegated, failed FFP or both.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

"Luke...........I am your Father"   I am so looking forward to the Millennium Falcon taking off this season?             

The force is strong with this one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CyderHead92 said:

I've seen it mentioned on here loads of times that, the next manager after Pearson will be the one who benefits from his work the most. And that that would be the time we actually have a successful season and maybe even (cough) promotion.

Pearson said much the same himself in a press conference once. The impression I got was that he knew some of the decisions he made were unpopular and he knew that he split opinion but was absolutely focused on doing what was right for the football club to put it in a position it could move forward whether he was here or not.  Very much the same as when he was at Leicester. Some times it’s only when you look back at a mangers reign you realise the impact. Sean O’Driscol was awful as a manager for us but equally laid many of the foundations for Steve to come in and win us the double. It’s just tough at the time to go through. 

• Like 5
  • Robin 3

11 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

Pearson said much the same himself in a press conference once. The impression I got was that he knew some of the decisions he made were unpopular and he knew that he split opinion but was absolutely focused on doing what was right for the football club to put it in a position it could move forward whether he was here or not.  Very much the same as when he was at Leicester. Some times it’s only when you look back at a mangers reign you realise the impact. Sean O’Driscol was awful as a manager for us but equally laid many of the foundations for Steve to come in and win us the double. It’s just tough at the time to go through. 

O'Driscoll was similar but perhaps worse. On one hand NP inherited a nearly safe side as opposed to arriving mid-season, otoh it was an absolute shitshow.

No doubt O'Driscoll did important work away from the pitch, the issue was sliding into League One was one thing..being bottom 2 or 3 whatever fitness by late November in the 3rd Tier truly was disastrous.

Us rebuilding and coming through  mess in the 2nd tier isn't supposed to happen.

• Like 1

its a shame those with an agenda against Nige wont get to meet him. such a classy bloke who always put the clubs best interests first.

luckily for me i have got to know him well and am proud to have been able to help out here and there during his recovery. 

it was his birthday last week, i didnt say anything before but did send him a nice card from the guys hes met and '100s of mates' on here, something he really appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 4

19 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

thankyou redbilly, that was the one i was thinking of

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

Great post . It’s not the name of the man , it’s the ability of the man to carry out the task. It’s not great really that Lansdown had to bring in two managers to sort out his mess in Pearson & SOD . Both of them though laid foundations for the future. SOD was awful yes but he was working with both hands behind his back . Still had the foresight to bring in several of the title winning team . I genuinely hope manning is as successful as cotterill was but if he is , then it will be partly due to the groundwork laid before . Some people are far too short sighted to see this , or just won’t have any negativity aimed at Lansdown . 
Infrastructure wise he’s done a fantastic job , football wise not so much . Let’s hope he’s got it right this time. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

its a shame those with an agenda against Nige wont get to meet him. such a classy bloke who always put the clubs best interests first.

luckily for me i have got to know him well and am proud to have been able to help out here and there during his recovery. 

it was his birthday last week, i didnt say anything before but did send him a nice card from the guys hes met and '100s of mates' on here, something he really appreciated.

Agenda, no Agenda the guy was respected and with some like you and your mates, loved.

But this is football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

What are you talking about . You obviously got a problem with Pearson. If you can’t see how he brought the wage bill down , reduced the size of an unbalanced squad. Brought through the kids , whilst never being in relegation trouble & spending no money .  All  problems being created by Lansdown, Johnson & Ashton . He got them out of the shit & left a clean slate for them to build on by selling £35m of talent as well. 
It’s not a manning v Pearson thing , I’m stating facts that without him & Gould doing that then we could have easily gone down . I called you out because you were the first & I haven’t looked at the thread since , so stop crying . 
If you can’t have the common decency to acknowledge what they did for the club then you’re a 🤡

Haha. I will never dispute that Pearson did a great job, he did. But he’s gone now. 
there’s a place for a thread I am sure where we can discuss the interesting merits of the clubs push me pull me strategy over the years but it just seems bonkers to pull him into this one. 

to ask me to acknowledge some bloke who did a well paid job for us with “common decency” as in some kind of reverence of a higher power, is exactly why I made my sarcastic comment in the first place.

Edited by Fjmcity

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You appear to be another who doesn't get the bigger picture @Fjmcity ?

Imagine a world in which Johnson and Ashton remain in situ to navigate those problems. Or even some fussy prissy character ike Scott Parker (as a manager not a player) or a relatively overrated Steve Cooper albeit less applicable in his case.

Could you imagine the mess we may have ended up in. We could easily have got relegated, failed FFP or both.

I entirely get the bigger picture, I think he did a good job. Just think it’s not healthy to hark back to him all the time. All the pick me niges on this place are embarrassing and tinpot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I entirely get the bigger picture, I think he did a good job. Just think it’s not healthy to hark back to him all the time. All the pick me niges on this place are embarrassing and tinpot 

That's fair, some perhaps don't or don't appreciate it fully.

That aside, what can't be denied although you might dispute it is that there are a lot more resources and ratio of sale to reinvestment now than last summer. That's good for the club but a bit unfair too.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's fair, some perhaps don't or don't appreciate it fully.

That aside, what can't be denied although you might dispute it is that there are a lot more resources and ratio of sale to reinvestment now than last summer. That's good for the club but a bit unfair too.

Financially perhaps we were not ready, I don’t know enough about that. Pearson did seem fairly rigid in the type of player he’d covet so while I wouldn’t have been concerned with him spending this money I do wonder what the team would look like if he did. An interesting question we won’t know the answer too.

i guess the real crux of the NP thing and him being bought up all the time is I really genuinely do not think it’s healthy for the fan base or some of it to have this mentality of what if and sky high expectations because the new boy got shinier toys then the old boy.

playoffs shouldnt be the minimum this year, football teams aren’t plug and play. A huge uplift in our performances and overall position absolutely is a must with the quality and quantity of signing made and then hopefully something to get behind and some real promotion hope over the next two seasons 

I really just hope that the bitterness and martyrdom about the whole Pearson affair can be put to bed for the good of the club. Yes you can fire this straight back at the owners but what use is that too? football is cyclical for all clubs and some take longer than others to come back around and some never achieve anything of note.. there wouldn’t be the pyramid if this wasn’t the case. Lansdowns had to fix the mess left by mark Ashton, but where is he now? He is a god to another club, basking in success,  it’s just the way it works. We’ve repaired, employed the right people to do that at the time, hopefully learnt some lessons and we go again 

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

44 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Financially perhaps we were not ready, I don’t know enough about that. Pearson did seem fairly rigid in the type of player he’d covet so while I wouldn’t have been concerned with him spending this money I do wonder what the team would look like if he did. An interesting question we won’t know the answer too.

i guess the real crux of the NP thing and him being bought up all the time is I really genuinely do not think it’s healthy for the fan base or some of it to have this mentality of what if and sky high expectations because the new boy got shinier toys then the old boy.

playoffs shouldnt be the minimum this year, football teams aren’t plug and play. A huge uplift in our performances and overall position absolutely is a must with the quality and quantity of signing made and then hopefully something to get behind and some real promotion hope over the next two seasons 

I really just hope that the bitterness and martyrdom about the whole Pearson affair can be put to bed for the good of the club. Yes you can fire this straight back at the owners but what use is that too? football is cyclical for all clubs and some take longer than others to come back around and some never achieve anything of note.. there wouldn’t be the pyramid if this wasn’t the case. Lansdowns had to fix the mess left by mark Ashton, but where is he now? He is a god to another club, basking in success,  it’s just the way it works. We’ve repaired, employed the right people to do that at the time, hopefully learnt some lessons and we go again 

You do raise good points tbh, maybe we had some ore arranged forecast that it were too late in the window to submit changed too but that aside.. 

I think NP and his team were hard done by but as you say, football can be like that.

I think he could with more momey have broadened, see Mahrez for a song. Bird I think would've made good use of but we will never know.

You mention the owners, I've a bigger issue with JL and BT in all honesty, I know the first is the son of SL but some of the comments last Autumn were well out of line.

Am hopeful of 2 year push, rbus year we improve and maybe 8th-10th. Next year we keep everyone key that we we can and look to strengthen judiciously or if finances allow one or two higher end still loanees to add to the base.

I'm cautiously optimistic about varied things but the events of last October leave a sour taste.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You do raise good points tbh, maybe we had some ore arranged forecast that it were too late in the window to submit changed too but that aside.. 

I think NP and his team were hard done by but as you say, football can be like that.

I think he could with more momey have broadened, see Mahrez for a song. Bird I think would've made good use of but we will never know.

You mention the owners, I've a bigger issue with JL and BT in all honesty, I know the first is the son of SL but some of the comments last Autumn were well out of line.

Am hopeful of 2 year push, rbus year we improve and maybe 8th-10th. Next year we keep everyone key that we we can and look to strengthen judiciously or if finances allow one or two higher end still loanees to add to the base.

I'm cautiously optimistic about varied things but the events of last October leave a sour taste.

I just think managers can change over time and Pearsons previous good form for casting his net wide obviously didn’t suit him anymore. I really do not believe he would have got us promoted and that’s the main reason I am thankful for his efforts and service but not at all keen to dwell on it. I believe he had a ceiling, been promoted before but his ceiling has come down. I don’t know if manning is the man to do it, but firmly believe he has a better chance of getting us promoted. Just look at the managers promoted in the last 5 years. The game has moved on if you want to achieve greater things. Age is not everything but in the list below it says something about being successful in this league surely 

Enzo Maresca (Leicester City) - Age 43

Russell Martin (Southampton) - Age 37

Kieran McKenna (Ipswich Town) - Age 37

Vincent Kompany (Burnley) - Age 37

Paul Heckingbottom (Sheffield United) - Age 45

Rob Edwards (Luton Town, via playoffs) - Age 40

Marco Silva (Fulham) - Age 44

Scott Parker (Bournemouth) - Age 41

Steve Cooper (Nottingham Forest, via playoffs) - Age 42

Daniel Farke (Norwich City) - Age 44

Xisco Muñoz (Watford) - Age 40

Thomas Frank (Brentford, via playoffs) - Age 47

Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds United) - Age 64

Slaven Bilić (West Bromwich Albion) - Age 51

Scott Parker (Fulham, via playoffs) - Age 39

Daniel Farke (Norwich City) - Age 42

Chris Wilder (Sheffield United) - Age 51

Dean Smith (Aston Villa, via playoffs) - Age 48

Edited by Fjmcity

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

Haha. I will never dispute that Pearson did a great job, he did. But he’s gone now. 
there’s a place for a thread I am sure where we can discuss the interesting merits of the clubs push me pull me strategy over the years but it just seems bonkers to pull him into this one. 

to ask me to acknowledge some bloke who did a well paid job for us with “common decency” as in some kind of reverence of a higher power, is exactly why I made my sarcastic comment in the first place.

Yes he’s gone now but it’s relevant because of the signings made this summer . We couldn’t have one without the other. That’s why the link will crop up. If we’re talking tactics / style of football then I agree Pearson shouldn’t be brought up in conversation as it’s irrelevant now. 
Perhaps what’s more relevant is why we had to bring two managers in to mop up the mess caused from the top in the space of ten years 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes he’s gone now but it’s relevant because of the signings made this summer . We couldn’t have one without the other. That’s why the link will crop up. If we’re talking tactics / style of football then I agree Pearson shouldn’t be brought up in conversation as it’s irrelevant now. 
Perhaps what’s more relevant is why we had to bring two managers in to mop up the mess caused from the top in the space of ten years 

Again I say, that mark Ashton at Ipswich he’s doing well isn’t he maybe we should try him here?

To paraphrase a famous tv show “football is like a fairground ride: F**kin mental”

Just now, Fjmcity said:

Again I say, that mark Ashton at Ipswich he’s doing well isn’t he maybe we should try him here?

To paraphrase a famous tv show “football is like a fairground ride: F**kin mental”

Agree. He’s obviously good at his job. Perhaps he is given a set of parameters at Ipswich . Instead of being allowed to do what **** he wanted here . 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I just think managers can change over time and Pearsons previous good form for casting his net wide obviously didn’t suit him anymore. I really do not believe he would have got us promoted and that’s the main reason I am thankful for his efforts and service but not at all keen to dwell on it. I believe he had a ceiling, been promoted before but his ceiling has come down. I don’t know if manning is the man to do it, but firmly believe he has a better chance of getting us promoted. Just look at the managers promoted in the last 5 years. The game has moved on if you want to achieve greater things. Age is not everything but in the list below it says something about being successful in this league surely 

Enzo Maresca (Leicester City) - Age 43

Russell Martin (Southampton) - Age 37

Kieran McKenna (Ipswich Town) - Age 37

Vincent Kompany (Burnley) - Age 37

Paul Heckingbottom (Sheffield United) - Age 45

Rob Edwards (Luton Town, via playoffs) - Age 40

Marco Silva (Fulham) - Age 44

Scott Parker (Bournemouth) - Age 41

Steve Cooper (Nottingham Forest, via playoffs) - Age 42

Daniel Farke (Norwich City) - Age 44

Xisco Muñoz (Watford) - Age 40

Thomas Frank (Brentford, via playoffs) - Age 47

Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds United) - Age 64

Slaven Bilić (West Bromwich Albion) - Age 51

Scott Parker (Fulham, via playoffs) - Age 39

Daniel Farke (Norwich City) - Age 42

Chris Wilder (Sheffield United) - Age 51

Dean Smith (Aston Villa, via playoffs) - Age 48

A number of these were Parachute clubs but to varying degrees Cooper, Frank, Edwards of course oh plus McKenna clearly stand out.

Leicester, Fulham and Southampton probably with some of the highest budgets in Championship history. Nottingham Forest under Cooper £37m, Parachute Payments up to £57m.

One of the most scintillating I recall though was Bielsa and his side. The oldest on the list but he is a bit unique.

Each to their own, I thought he was developing the style a bit in his 2nd full season NP- mode of a Possession based post be move to 4-3-3.

Ultimately we will never know and I do have faith in Manning albeit I'm hoping the back 4 is here to stay and Sykes at Wingback also ideally not.

3 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Thanks for posting.

Sounds promising, I've always had McNally down as technically decent but wasn't sure what else to expect. Quick across the ground and his age is promising, last thing you want to do is play a high line especially in a back 4 with a slow or aging CB!

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is a bit of a difference here though.

The hierarchy or some of them, are of questionable competence and integrity and are still in situ.

They need watching closely and critiqued and analysed where required.

(Putting aside the ethics of the sacking and the very different budget plus the bullshit claims).

5 hours ago, TV Tom said:

It's very different, firstly it's not been a year yet, secondly Pearsons departure was shoddy, the bullshit around why, was hot and steamy.  And regardless of how well we do under Manning, the fact that platform was in the championship with money to spend is down to Pearson.  Who still has received little or no credit from the hierarchy which is poor.

If they had said thanks for your service Nigel and leaving us in a better position but we want to try something a little different.  They would have got a lot more respect from me at least.

That being said given the backing Manning has new been given I expect good convincing results, and good consistency in those results.  I think McNally is a good but uneeded signing and were going to have a very tough time keeping good players happy in 3 months time.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

I just think managers can change over time and Pearsons previous good form for casting his net wide obviously didn’t suit him anymore. I really do not believe he would have got us promoted and that’s the main reason I am thankful for his efforts and service but not at all keen to dwell on it. I believe he had a ceiling, been promoted before but his ceiling has come down. I don’t know if manning is the man to do it, but firmly believe he has a better chance of getting us promoted. Just look at the managers promoted in the last 5 years. The game has moved on if you want to achieve greater things. Age is not everything but in the list below it says something about being successful in this league surely.

This is the biggest load of nonsense I think I've read in years!  What does that even mean? The games changed too much for Pearson to change along with it, and good managers adapt. That's the biggest load of agest shite I think I've read. There are a load of teams in that list that are yoyo teams that have a propensity to appoint young managers.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, grifty said:

Came on here to read about the McNally signing and it's just the normal high post counters bitching and moaning at each other and the club as usual.

Agreed with your post g, I thought it was refreshing to hear a new signing not mention "Glad to be joining such a massive club" which so many have in their repertoire. It sounds to me as though he's a well grounded young man, I feel good vibes about this new signing 🤞👍

11 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

This is the biggest load of nonsense I think I've read in years!  What does that even mean? The games changed too much for Pearson to change along with it, and good managers adapt. That's the biggest load of agest shite I think I've read. There are a load of teams in that list that are yoyo teams that have a propensity to appoint young managers.

I won't dismiss it entirely due to Edwards and Frank oh and McKenna e.g. but yeah it lacks context just a bit..Farke the first time at Norwich also impressed albeit there were Year 1 and 2 Parachute Payments in 2016-17 and 2017-18..Farke arrived in 2017-18. He somewhere between the 2. Wilder did brilliant work at non Parachute Sheffield United first time around. Cooper had his merits too.

There definitely is a tendency towards appointing young managers but it is basically acting like sheep.

Put NP in at Burnley even with their current travails (relatively speaking) or Watford or Norwich in 2022-23 and watch him go!

His 100+ point Leicester season was without Parachute Payments.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Replacing Naismith is future planning but right side, left side?

Vyner, McNally, Dickie, Atkinson

Good future proofing potentially though, we know Dickie can play on the left as he has with Vyner ie as the LCB in a back 4.

Your ideal combination of right /left footed CBs is 3 right footed, 1 left footed with 1 right footed player preferring playing on the left and another being able to if need be.

It covers all eventualities 

• Thanks 1