IGNORED

Luke McNally : Officially signed (4 year deal)

INCRED

To have a go at replicating that, we need say..

*Sinclair- 13

*Wells- 13

*Sykes- 10

*Fally/Yu- 7

*Bell?- 7

*Loanee/Knight/Cornick/Mehemti- 6

On the flipside we have a sounder defence. Dickie hopefully can get a few again.

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Losing Conway has no bearing. He scored 5 pens, Wells or another puts those away. So we aren’t worse off, don’t understand that. 

You think we'll get 7 Penalties again?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

20 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

No-one's "writing him off".

I'm looking forward to seeing a physical mobile striker too.

But he's scored 3 goals in 60 Championship appearances playing for a team with better attacking options than us, imo.

Supporters of that team say he misses chances for fun.

I'm interested in why that will change between May and August of this year

Supporters can be a little bit unreliable so we shouldn’t worry too much what they say, look how some of our supporters have written off Tommy on this forum. Supporters of QPR were also pretty vocal about Rob Dickies lack of ability at the time too.

However, and as we did with Tommy, QPR offered Armstrong a new contract which he elected not to sign, so the people in the know obviously could see something.

Like you I’m hopeful (not certain) that Armstrong goes well too, we’ll soon see. One thing for sure though, he won’t be getting knocked off the ball like Sammy does and will be a right handful for defenders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What are your reasons for thinking this?

A few reasons. 

- He's had a good pre-season for us so far, got a few goals.

- He's got Championship experience now, not scored many but he's aware of the levels of opposition.

- QPR were not a high scoring team last season (top scorer, 7 goals)

- I think he will be our main striker, vs for QPR he came off the bench a lot in the second half the season

- Just have a feeling. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bcfc24 said:

Stoke have bid 3 million for him… Next

Interesting that O’Rourke’s article was one of his two types, either one club mentioned, very likely, or multiple clubs mentioned, speculative, possibly agent / club driven, less likely.

Although he mentioned City, he made no mention of the Conway / Twine axis.

I’m tempted to think it’s a puff piece.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

*Sinclair- 13

*Wells- 13

*Sykes- 10

*Fally/Yu- 7

*Bell?- 7

On the flipside we have a sounder defence. Dickie hopefully can get a few again.

Optimistic expectation. Sykes career record is barely 1 in 8, Sinclair unproven, Wells might just achieve that number

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

No-one's scoring even one whilst we're passing the ball, slowly, across and around the back three/four/five and the halfway line .... well, ok, Steve Sidwell might score one .... 

Indeed. Who on earth was in goal that day???

A daydreamer, clearly.

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Optimistic expectation. Sykes career record is barely 1 in 8, Sinclair unproven, Wells might just achieve that number

What I would say about Sykes was that he over a 12 month period, encompassing 42 League Games in via correct position for the most part scored 10.

In his consistently correct position subject to fitness 5-10 wouldn't be unreasonable IMO. He was shunted around post Christmas and had an injury too.

Agree on most of the rest..Was outlining what an equivalent may look like.

42 minutes ago, Selred said:

- I think he will be our main striker, vs for QPR he came off the bench a lot in the second half the season

Yes, I suspect he will be our starting striker too.

Maybe I'm overthinking this one but as soon as QPR changed managers from a kick and rush jitter to a technical coach who preferred a passing style - i.e. someone not dissimilar to our own coach - Armstrong was relegated to the bench!  

We shall see.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

But he's scored 3 goals in 60 Championship appearances playing for a team with better attacking options than us, imo.

I'm interested in why that will change between May and August of this year.

That is all.  

A completely different type of player. So bad comparison, imo.

Firstly QPR scored less than us last season, so a challenge to your “better attacking options” in terms of whether their paper-ability manifested on the pitch, and therefore the impact on Armstrong.

What we also need to take into account is what position we play him.

He's typically played as a side forward for Rangers.  Pass-map position below.  In preseason he’s played straight down the middle.

IMG_1227.jpeg.a97605f0cefb801c5416f2b4b45b087e.jpeg

Also we need to consider where he’s got his chances / shots:

IMG_1225.jpeg.43d8f1a795b98a212dc1df9b40a7d5ef.jpeg

Most are shots on the angle, very few in between the goals.  It kinda matches the position he’s played.

Reminds me of Semenyo in 20/21:

IMG_4785.jpeg.375f803189bdbbac400293578d49e9d7.jpeg
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he’s a cool finisher, but I think if you throw numbers like “3 in 60” about you’re doing him a disservice.  39 games last season, but 1779 mins (just shy of 20 90-min matches).  It’s still not great, but it’s not 1 in 20.

I know you’re not writing him off, but you’ve formed an impression (which is fine btw).

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

Agree with all that.

Several people have said they expect him to "go very well" - I'm interested in their reasons. 

I guess that's optimism. And that's where I am; defaulting to the optimistic benefit of doubt. Others are doing the opposite. C'est la vie...

...but he WILL bag 30 goals

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Where is the 20 goal striker amongst that lot. Some are new to us and hopefully will score regularly but for Wells, Bell,Cornick and Mehmeti we might struggle to get 20 goals between them.

If Manning and his coaches can work successfully on the weaker areas of Armstrongs game then he could prove to be quite a signing.

I’ve got a positive vibe about this guy. He could well be a Semenyo in the making.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

*Sinclair- 13

*Wells- 13

*Sykes- 10

*Fally/Yu- 7

*Bell?- 7

Not having a go at you, but these things are futile.  Someone did one similar in 17/18 and had to have it pointed out that of the 4 strikers they had getting double figures, it was likely that only two would be on the pitch at the same time.

So without knowing (and we can’t possibly know) what kind of minutes each player is gonna get, how can you realistically list a hypothetical number of goals each could get?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Bet Ipswich are still regretting that their top scorer last season got 13?

Oh look, they went up automatically…

None of us have a clue how Mayulu will do, he could be another Kodjia or another Engvall..

Armstrong too…

We have decided that these two will improve us, let’s at least give it a dozen games & see how that’s panning out, eh?

It’s quite incredible that I’ve seen Fally practically write off because of 90 minutes in a pre-season friendly where he wasn’t even outrightly poor. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Maybe I'm overthinking this one but as soon as QPR changed managers from a kick and rush jitter to a technical coach who preferred a passing style - i.e. someone not dissimilar to our own coach - Armstrong was relegated to the bench!  

That is the bit I’m intrigued about.  What is Manning’s style gonna be that uses the attributes Fally and Sinclair bring individually.  And how does that fit with Twine?  I completely saw the Conway / Twine rationale, LM talked about it a fair bit, mainly referencing how good “Twiney” was in a idolising way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

It’s quite incredible that I’ve seen Fally practically write off because of 90 minutes in a pre-season friendly where he wasn’t even outrightly poor. 

He will take time..new League, dominant side in his past League vs a middling side with moderate creativity in a new one and he is 22.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

*Sinclair- 13

*Wells- 13

*Sykes- 10

*Fally/Yu- 7

*Bell?- 7

Mr P, Ipswich finished 2nd. Do you genuinely think anyone expects us to emulate them?

We need to just keep goals conceded to a minimum and score 12-15 more than we concede and we'd be in the shake-up for top 6.

So find a way to score around 60 goals.

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

We had  problem scoring goals last season and converting the chances we created. My concern is that we have not signed a proven goal scorer and might not have solved that issue. I hope I am wrong and  the new players will step up. Time will tell. I don't think the comparison to Ipswich is relevant.

Other than Conway (and possibly Bell, given time) we don’t have a prolific goal scorer in our ranks. Nahki is in the twilight of his career now and Armstrong is a very blunt instrument. What particularly worries me is that as it stands we don’t have any real creativity in our midfield. Someone to provide that eye-of-needle pass through the middle for our forwards to run onto. 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2024 at 11:23, Dredd said:

Another CB is massively left field. First thought is offloading Naismith but has anyone seen Roberts in pre season? Just realised he hasn't been in any of the squads and not sure I've missed an injury announcement 

would be a massive mistake - thought roberts was top class last season.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Mr P, Ipswich finished 2nd. Do you genuinely think anyone expects us to emulate them?

We need to just keep goals conceded to a minimum and score 12-15 more than we concede and we'd be in the shake-up for top 6.

So find a way to score around 60 goals.

No this is true Ian if was a worked example. Yet I dunno how many standouts they had a Year ago coming into the season but a Top 6 push is probably the Upper limit.

+10-+15 GD can do it.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He will take time..new League, dominant side in his past League vs a middling side with moderate creativity in a new one and he is 22.

He might do those factors are always the hardest to judge, some people deal with it easily, some don’t.

I hope people aren’t shocked/confused though if come Hull Fally starts and Armstrongs on the bench. 

Rapid Wien aren’t exactly dominant either. They finished exactly where we did: mid-table. But that’s irrelevant anyway. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

He might do those factors are always the hardest to judge, some people deal with it easily, some don’t.

I hope people aren’t shocked/confused though if come Hull Fally starts and Armstrongs on the bench. 

Rapid Wien aren’t exactly dominant either. They finished exactly where we did: mid-table. But that’s irrelevant anyway. 

That is surprising and just checked the Table- always had them as one of the biggest clubs in Austria..they must've hit hard times for their standards.

Anyway my point still stands..28 Games, 6 Goals, 3 Assists- 1 of which was a penalty.

Conversion Rate excluding penalties, 14%.

Still has room for growth on his side.

• Thanks 1

That is all.  

Point is players can become goal machines. What more do you want 😂

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is surprising and just checked the Table- always had them as one of the biggest clubs in Austria..they must've hit hard times for their standards.

Anyway my point still stands..28 Games, 6 Goals, 3 Assists- 1 of which was a penalty.

Conversion Rate excluding penalties, 14%.

Still has room for growth on his side.

Watch out though like with Armstrong earlier using games is a little unfair. Many of his earlier games for Rapid Wien he got sub 10 minutes on the pitch, if you go by minutes played, which was 1,162 minutes.

That's a contribution every 129 minutes. Quite a decent return.

• Thanks 1

Just now, MythikRobins said:

Watch out though like with Armstrong earlier using games is a little unfair. Many of his earlier games for Rapid Wien he got sub 10 minutes on the pitch, if you go by minutes played, which was 1,162 minutes.

That's a contribution every 129 minutes. Quite a decent return.

I'm open-minded, I'll give a fair crack.

I would say that it feels a bit of a gamble to have two relatively young strikers at the same time who may take time to settle.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Puckle_red said:

This scattergun approach to our transfer business is almost Ashton-esque. We must surely need to offload, the squad seems bloated. Why would we need 5 first team quality CB's which doesn't include Tanner and Roberts who are both more than decent there, even Pring and Mccrorie can fill a gap there. 

Even if it's a back 3, signing a winger (Yu) doesn't really make any sense to playing 3 at the back. This lack of shape or cohesion is a growing concern to me. Very confusing.

i think it can be fairly easily explained if you look at tanner as a rwb in rotation with mccrorie and the more ‘natural’ rb in a back 4. playing a back 3 wouldn’t necessarily negate the wingers as we saw manning set up with a 3-4-3 at times last season with inside forwards. this could be twine, anis, belly, yu, sykes, or even nahki judging by his role in preseason. we could also set up with a 3-5-2 with two of fally, sincs and nahki up top and twine in behind.

mcnally isn’t needed but it’s another quality addition and one that we’ll be thankful for if we get a couple of cb injuries.

i just think that sometimes we get a bit of proper depth and everyone loses their heads. sometimes it’s good to have a deep bench in a 46 game season, and a squad that allows you to play multiple formations and styles. it’s less about ‘filling a gap’ and more about having real depth in those positions. i’m really liking our squad going into this season, especially if we get this swap deal over the line.

Edited by jbcfc
  • Like 1

Sykes at Wingback is a horrible tactical call that inhibits him badly. Not as bad as Sykes on the left but he can be a key outlet in the right set-up.

I'm not saying he can't do a job.

Roberts to me is more an LB and an LCB in a back 3. He is of an age that perhaps turning him into a Wingback will do the job.

6 minutes ago, jbcfc said:

exactly. if anything, more rwb cover is needed. tinns, pick up the phone… 😆

Ah good, let's deviate from the plan again.

7, 9, 10- two strikers with Conway situation.

(Possibly whooshing myself here)..

Financial discipline, Squad Size, cohesion.

On one level Manning should work under exactly the same conditions as Pearson for  period.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

(Possibly whooshing myself here).

it was a joke, but there is something to be said about neither tanner or sykes being a true fit for that rwb position if mccrorie picks up an injury or he needs a rest. they’d do a job though.

Edited by jbcfc

6 minutes ago, jbcfc said:

it’s a joke, but there is something to be said about neither tanner or sykes being ideal for that rwb position if mccrorie picks up an injury or he needs a rest. but they’d do a job.

I see. Possibly we differ then as I don't think we should be rebuilding yet again even partially after the last 2-3 years.

Perhaps we should play a back 4 predominantly and yes if McCrorie does establish himself as first choice and Naismith remains fit for a full season, then with McCrorie one side, Pring on the other and Naismith moving between a deepest midfield and a back 3 yes I can see that kinda thing working.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

(Possibly whooshing myself here)..

Financial discipline, Squad Size, cohesion.

On one level Manning should work under exactly the same conditions as Pearson for  period.

We aren't in possession of all the facts to know what the plan is yet. For one the window is still open and secondly we haven't played a single competitive game yet.

I will wait to judge until we are a fair way into the season before getting upset about recruitment.

Again, this is the time for optimism, plenty of time for pessimism once the season has started if it doesn't go as well as we'd like. For now, try to enjoy the possibilities.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Ian M said:

We aren't in possession of all the facts to know what the plan is yet. For one the window is still open and secondly we haven't played a single competitive game yet.

I will wait to judge until we are a fair way into the season before getting upset about recruitment.

Again, this is the time for optimism, plenty of time for pessimism once the season has started if it doesn't go as well as we'd like. For now, try to enjoy the possibilities.

I hope so. Perhaps I'll try to look to 10, 12- 15 games but early signs will be worth keeping an eye on. Albeit we have a reasonable start on paper but some of our best results came against the best and vice versa- football eh!

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That is all.  

😂 So I’ve mentioned a midfielder who couldn’t score for toffee who then became prolific but because he changed position it’s not comparable. So I find a striker who hadn’t had a decent scoring season for a while and that’s not comparable because he’s a different ‘type’ of striker. Semenyo struggled for goals and then did well - does that suit? Point is, sometimes the penny drops and players kick on. Let’s hope this is the case with Sinclair 

• Haha 1

On 01/08/2024 at 11:11, INCRED said:

Thought we were pretty well stocked in defence?

Strikers win games, defences win titles (for the record I do not believe that we are going to mount a title challenge).

Wonder if we are going for a new formation....

Gk -9-1

I dunno how well that truism holds. Clearly you need a strong defence and if you have one it can take one goal to win a game.. 

Yes I know pedantic 2nd v titl3 but Ipswich with 92 goals ie the most profilic attack and the 2nd best defence.

Liverpool had the 3rd best defence (Goals Conceded) in 2009-10, finished 7th.

9th best defence although comfortably 2nd best attack..finished 2nd.

Chelsea had top defence, finished 3rd.

On the flipside Leicester eventually won the Championship t8tle last year with the best defence, helped by a late Leeds collapse in respect of Goals and solidity.

• Like 1

I do wonder, if concerns come from our attack which is unproven at this level. It might be sensational, it might be a disaster, probably somewhere in between is the reality but it's an unknown entity. 

I'm concerned about that, rather than the defence, as we need to score to win games, not just keep it tight at the other end.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I do wonder, if concerns come from our attack which is unproven at this level. It might be sensational, it might be a disaster, probably somewhere in between is the reality but it's an unknown entity. 

I'm concerned about that, rather than the defence, as we need to score to win games, not just keep it tight at the other end.

Szmodics had a stellar last season and he was brought in from L1 by Blackburn. You just can’t tell with forwards, they are a strange breed who can be brilliant one season and absolute rubbish the next. If I was LM I would be looking at players who can contribute from all areas of the pitch. If your forward line of 3 can get you 30 goals, midfield 20 - 25 and defenders chip in with 15 - 20 then that’s not a bad approach and not so much a burden on your main striker 

Blackburn didn’t exactly threaten the top 6 and they had a forward who got 27 goals 

• Like 1

So with Conway sold and Twine bought, does anyone think we are going to make an offer for McNally, or are we done for this window? I'm thinking we're done for the window, barring a stupid offer for someone else.

44 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

So with Conway sold and Twine bought, does anyone think we are going to make an offer for McNally, or are we done for this window? I'm thinking we're done for the window, barring a stupid offer for someone else.

I thought McNally was more a bargaining chip to help the Twine deal happen? 

2 hours ago, BritAbroad said:

Can’t see it.

Still wouldn’t rule out Naismith moving on but Burnley could well need McNally if Brentford continue to pursue O’Shea.

On 16/08/2024 at 20:12, GrahamC said:

Can’t see it.

Still wouldn’t rule out Naismith moving on but Burnley could well need McNally if Brentford continue to pursue O’Shea.

Have Burnley just signed the Man City Defender?

2 hours ago, fly in the air said:

I see a chelsea defender I'd heading to Burnley. McNally would be a good signing. if we got him what a defence we would have. McNally with Dickie plus big Rob  

Vyner not in your thoughts then.

• Like 1

Must admit we haven’t looked convincing at the back this season. Very shaky at times and so many misplaced passes. Tanner aside and the others haven’t hit levels of last season as yet. Do think we lack real physical presence both from defending and attacking set pieces. Millwall opened us up too easily. 

25 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Must admit we haven’t looked convincing at the back this season. Very shaky at times and so many misplaced passes. Tanner aside and the others haven’t hit levels of last season as yet. Do think we lack real physical presence both from defending and attacking set pieces. Millwall opened us up too easily. 

That’s likely to be the system per se, not the players themselves.

The structure in front of them appears weaker / much more open to transition.

Back to Newton’s 3rd Law again!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fly in the air said:

not against him but I just think we need a better quality defender. 

If we had Vyner, Dickie, McNally and Atkinson that is quality choice. I think quite a few people on here have forgotten Atkinsons quality pre injury probably because of how good Dickie has been and whilst I know he could be a different player post injury if he can be anywhere near the player he was we have another quality CB to select from. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MrRedRobin said:

If we had Vyner, Dickie, McNally and Atkinson that is quality choice. I think quite a few people on here have forgotten Atkinsons quality pre injury probably because of how good Dickie has been and whilst I know he could be a different player post injury if he can be anywhere near the player he was we have another quality CB to select from. 

You can't uninvent Kal Naismith!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment that the system, or moving of levers this season has made us more open, but the goals themselves have been less about system and more about sloppy defending. Williams giving away a pen, Naismith switching off, Pring and Vyner weak to block a shot. Probably the pressure we were under came from tactical nuances, but some of our defending has been lax in key moments in my opinion.

Interesting hearing your debate on OSIB about Cam Pring by the way 👏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t want to open a wound for you and Kid again Dave, but I’d take Matty James back on a one year. Maybe he will now change his mind. Missed. 

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

You can't uninvent Kal Naismith!

I don’t mind Naismith but would rather have Vyner, Dickie, Atkinson, McNally (If he was to sign) ahead of him if we were playing a back 4. I personally prefer him in a back 3. However I do think we should try and get him as involved as possible when fit because his quality is obvious just too unreliable with injuries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed Dave.

Risk-Reward..we perhaps move the ball quicker, take more chances and this is a bit of a trade-off.

Ironically Dickie did say that we had the best defensive team structure of any side we had played in pre Hull.

8 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Don’t want to open a wound for you and Kid again Dave, but I’d take Matty James back on a one year. Maybe he will now change his mind. Missed. 

He can’t “change his mind” when he wasn’t made an offer.

We have moved on (& also have TGH on decent money kicking his heels on the bench). More Football Manager stuff..

I am very surprised he’s still not got a club though, Weimann made an interesting point about how he basically had to train with Blackburn to try to get a contract, & he’d just been at the Euros.

I’m sure Matty has loads of contacts to do something similar.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2