IGNORED

Luke McNally : Officially signed (4 year deal)

INCRED

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Possibly but what would they oay him?? £40k a week? He'd be set for life even if it doesn't work out

True but he may be 1 of those rare players who'd rather play week in week and be in a good place mentally. 

On 20/08/2024 at 10:39, petehinton said:

I think people, when talking about depth, are overlooking the fact that (IMO) if Dickie has another season like last year, I could see him going to the Prem. That + Naismith probably released, suddenly we’re light at CB in 12 months time potentially. 

this, plus if (god forbid) vyner and dickie both get injured we’ve only got left-footed centre backs (atkinson, naismith) who are also very prone to injury themselves. we could, in theory, line up with a back 3 of tanner, atkinson, and roberts/naismith/pring in that situation but i don’t love those options in a back 4 and it would limit us to that formation. i’d feel a lot more comfortable with mcnally in that scenario, plus his aerial threat could be useful, particularly in the potential absence of dickie.

to the speculation about vyner, i would be shocked if he were to leave or if we were to receive a bid as it’s been relatively quiet for a while now, but anything can happen. let’s hope not. signing mcnally on top of what we have would be a another real statement of intent, would rather he not be a replacement.

Edited by jbcfc

4 hours ago, jbcfc said:

god forbid) vyner and dickie both get injured we’ve only got left-footed centre backs (atkinson, naismith) who are also very prone to injury themselves. we could, in theory, line up with a back 3 of tanner, atkinson, and roberts/naismith/pring in that situation but i don’t love those options in a back 4 and it would limit us to that formation

The trouble is, this way madness lies. The next question becomes what if Vyner, Dickie and McNally become injured, and so on.....

There has to be a point where the club will say, in those circumstances we will have to look into the academy, that's what it's there for.

• Like 1

When Vyner is on form he'd be perfect for a Crystal Palace type club. He's good on the ball, quick, can read the game well.

When he's not quite on it, I think at the Prem level it may be quite costly. He tries some speculative through balls which often get cut out and leave us open to attack. This is OK in the Champ where his pace can resume him / quality not as high, but in the Prem I think this would get punished.

FWIW, I wouldn't want him to stop his through ball attempts as they are the ones that can quickly turn us into attack mode and I'm a big Zak fan both as a player and how he comes across in the media videos.

• Like 1

The Bowler link is an interesting one. He is a left footed right winger from what I can tell but his best season was left wing at Blackpool. Marmite player that can be brilliant on his day, but needs to settle.  Couple of Cardiff fans I know disagree if he’s any good.

if we did get him and Yu plays left he can always switch LW with Yu on the right, perhaps that versatility is what LM sees in him. More of a journeyman already than Sincs but similar in a way, needing a new environment and to be settled to try to capture that Blackpool form. 

Really don’t want Vyner to leave, that would be an unnecessary disruption to a squad which has already had a big amount of turnover.  If he’s not agitating to leave then it should take an insane bid for the club to even consider it.  We’ve lost a lot of academy products and it would be nice to keep some local lads in the squad.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Like TGH, I think there is going to be another outgoing out of the blue. Naismith is probably the best shout.

We ain’t done yet!

Dont sleep on Naismith, Bajic or Cornick to still leave, although I assume this is fairly obvious 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Really don’t want Vyner to leave, that would be an unnecessary disruption to a squad which has already had a big amount of turnover.  If he’s not agitating to leave then it should take an insane bid for the club to even consider it.  We’ve lost a lot of academy products and it would be nice to keep some local lads in the squad.  

He just (in relative terms) signed a new deal to become our highest paid player. He's going nowhere unless we get a bid we cannot refuse from the teams who were previously interested (Brentford)

• Like 1

I expect it's a loan for Naismith (maybe Pompey - just guessing) or more unlikely a bid for Vyner if McNally was to come in.

Can see like for like replacements in and out when Vyner, Pring, Sykes, Naismith, Bajic, Bell and maybe Atkinson and Roberts leave in the next few windows. 

We’re potentially getting to a point, if McNally comes in and Vyner as suggested leaves, of how much is too much - from three angles:

- The level of upheaval potentially reduces the chance of success, particularly as Liam has spoken at length of the need to have time to coach players

- The board last October stated that they needed someone who could move “this squad” forward - that’s not happening, it’s a new squad

- Most emotionally, look at Chelsea or even Rovers with their 14 incomings this summer. The more players that are turned over, the less there are anchors for fans and connections with the club. Some can become fan favourites quickly, but we all like to have an identity with the club - this is part of the reason why when Tinnion makes ricks he gets defended, but it’s loads of new players, lack of academy and just feels a bit “soulless”

I dunno. Important to state that no reflections on any of the players coming in, and individually they may well be improvements and it might be an overall success. It just feels like if you do too much you run the risk of losing something intangible. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

It's definitely starting to feel like a lot all at once. Makes life harder for Manning.

But, by the same token, it appears to be his choice so cannot be an excuse. In a lot of ways, it takes the pressure off Tinnion/JL. They’ve backed the manager so the heat is off them - if it goes well they share in the credit; if it fails then they can say “well we did what we could” (noting that they are still ultimately accountable).

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

We’re potentially getting to a point, if McNally comes in and Vyner as suggested leaves, of how much is too much - from three angles:

- The level of upheaval potentially reduces the chance of success, particularly as Liam has spoken at length of the need to have time to coach players

- The board last October stated that they needed someone who could move “this squad” forward - that’s not happening, it’s a new squad

- Most emotionally, look at Chelsea or even Rovers with their 14 incomings this summer. The more players that are turned over, the less there are anchors for fans and connections with the club. Some can become fan favourites quickly, but we all like to have an identity with the club - this is part of the reason why when Tinnion makes ricks he gets defended, but it’s loads of new players, lack of academy and just feels a bit “soulless”

I dunno. Important to state that no reflections on any of the players coming in, and individually they may well be improvements and it might be an overall success. It just feels like if you do too much you run the risk of losing something intangible. 

You could argue this point isn't really applicable the the arrival of Twine and McGuane. They've both already worked my Manning so know his workings. 

The rest of your point is 'well lose something' with changes too quickly. Whether that is continuity, spirit, team cohesion ect. However, an argument could be put for the opposite. If you don't change or adapt enough you can lose for that reason too. It's hard to speculate if the changes we make this season will be positive or negative. I'm personally just glad we're being proactive where we can. 

There was a lot of anxiety over losing James at the end of last season. I definitely wasn't in that camp. I bet if you ask the fan base now if they are worried with his replacement in Bird. I'm guessing not so much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

You could argue this point isn't really applicable the the arrival of Twine and McGuane. They've both already worked my Manning so know his workings. 

The rest of your point is 'well lose something' with changes too quickly. Whether that is continuity, spirit, team cohesion ect. However, an argument could be put for the opposite. If you don't change or adapt enough you can lose for that reason too. It's hard to speculate if the changes we make this season will be positive or negative. I'm personally just glad we're being proactive where we can. 

There was a lot of anxiety over losing James at the end of last season. I definitely wasn't in that camp. I bet if you ask the fan base now if they are worried with his replacement in Bird. I'm guessing not so much. 

I was more in the intangible piece tbh in losing something - I remember coming back post Covid. It was weird, we had players who we hadn’t seen live and it took a while for the crowd to connect with the team. It must be odd to support a team like a Fleetwood for example where it’s a huge number of one year contracts and turnover.

Thats all I’m saying there - I’m not saying it’s a bad thing (God, teams like Man City did it in order to get where they have on a bigger scale) - and the better players you have the more the chance of success so no issues there. It’s more observing the fact that clubs need connections (emotionally) between the team and fans which are harder to obtain if wholesale changes emerge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But not so much when it's players he's coached before. Or their pedigree is top quality, eg West Ham. Max Bird doesn't appear to be doing too badly, either?

Yep therefore below 11th will be a failure by a lot of metrics.

Too much change can be an upheaval and a problem, but as you say some decent pedigree.

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I was more in the intangible piece tbh in losing something - I remember coming back post Covid. It was weird, we had players who we hadn’t seen live and it took a while for the crowd to connect with the team. It must be odd to support a team like a Fleetwood for example where it’s a huge number of one year contracts and turnover.

Thats all I’m saying there - I’m not saying it’s a bad thing (God, teams like Man City did it in order to get where they have on a bigger scale) - and the better players you have the more the chance of success so no issues there. It’s more observing the fact that clubs need connections (emotionally) between the team and fans which are harder to obtain if wholesale changes emerge.

Ah fair I get you. Like you've said re Man City emotional connections sort of get superceeded by winning so you don't care how long those winning players have been in situ. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But, by the same token, it appears to be his choice so cannot be an excuse. In a lot of ways, it takes the pressure off Tinnion/JL. They’ve backed the manager so the heat is off them - if it goes well they share in the credit; if it fails then they can say “well we did what we could” (noting that they are still ultimately accountable).

I think their does remain questions that need answering as to why we are going through a revolution as opposed to the expected evolution. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think their does remain questions that need answering as to why we are going through a revolution as opposed to the expected evolution. 

You say you want a revolution

Well, you know

We all want to change the world

You tell me that it's evolution

Well, you know

We all wanna change the world

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well, we can't say that Conway, TGH and Vyner (maybe) leaving, was Manning's choice

Twine, Mayulu, Bird, Yu and Earthy we can attribute to Manning.

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But not so much when it's players he's coached before. Or their pedigree is top quality, eg West Ham. Max Bird doesn't appear to be doing too badly, either?

Good point. Twine and McGuane are potentially easy to integrate.

• Hmmm 1

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You say you want a revolution

Well, you know

We all want to change the world

You tell me that it's evolution

Well, you know

We all wanna change the world

But if you go carrying pictures of chairman Jon

You know they’re going to be drawn by cray-on

(Don’t you know it’s gonna be alright)

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes, but we will never get that answer.

I think the hope is that it will be forgotten. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Well, we can't say that Conway, TGH and Vyner (maybe) leaving, was Manning's choice

Twine, Mayulu, Bird, Yu and Earthy we can attribute to Manning.

Good point. Twine and McGuane are potentially easy to integrate.

I think that’s a bit selective mate. There is a strong argument the recruitment team had Bird on radar long before Manning (certainly @Mr Popodopolousdid!) and he’s said in press conferences Conway was his decision. He’s also under no pressure to trade TGH for McGuane so is making the choice for his man.

Twine no arguments. But saying with certainty as you have the departures were not his call looks incorrect both from circumstances and what he’s said.

• Like 2

I’m not against adding another couple if they can be organically inserted into the squad. If it is as the expense of other starting players then I would be a bit more concerned. Thinking Vyner here more than anything. 

Naismith, Atkinson, Bell, Cornick, McRorie, Wells and Bajic I would not be too concerned about. Vyner, Tanner, Mehmeti and Dickie would be more concerning to me. 

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

I’m not against adding another couple if they can be organically inserted into the squad. If it is as the expense of other starting players then I would be a bit more concerned. Thinking Vyner here more than anything. 

Naismith, Atkinson, Bell, Cornick, McRorie, Wells and Bajic I would not be too concerned about. Vyner, Tanner, Mehmeti and Dickie would be more concerning to me. 

Mehmetis concerning to me as well ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

The Vyner one feels confusing in that, if posts on here are to be believed, nobody wants to sell him, he doesn't want to leave and he's potentially off in any case. You'd think it would have to be a heck of a bid...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think one more season of him will be fine. A player Manning likes so let’s give him a year more to develop. The clock is ticking on him though I think. 

On 19/08/2024 at 21:38, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno why Naismith gets flak as he does on here..when fit he is rather good technically and versatile too. Deepest midfield or CB, latterly preferably in a back 3.

All about opinions of course but fitness permitting yeah.

Think the issue is he's not mobile enough to play midfield unless he's as anchor.

Wouldn't shock me to see him go, to be honest. Especially from a wage standpoint.

Could easily see someone like Stoke going in for him.

• Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think that’s a bit selective mate. There is a strong argument the recruitment team had Bird on radar long before Manning (certainly @Mr Popodopolousdid!) and he’s said in press conferences Conway was his decision. He’s also under no pressure to trade TGH for McGuane so is making the choice for his man.

Twine no arguments. But saying with certainty as you have the departures were not his call looks incorrect both from circumstances and what he’s said.

Just to get agreement here, Manning explicitly said numerous times that he wanted Conway to stay. The club were then left with two options; cash in now, or let him leave on a free+comp. Getting rid of Conway was reactionary, rather than plan A. 

Maybe it's a grey area which isn't worth us arguing the toss?

I suppose I feel that the point holds that some of this recruitment has been necessary replacement for outgoings that may [or may not] have been unwanted.

He probably didn't sit in the boardroom and shout "get Conway, Tayls and Zak out of here FFS!" Whereas he definitely shouted "Get me Twine! For any price! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaase!!"

Edited by mozo

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Like TGH, I think there is going to be another outgoing out of the blue. Naismith is probably the best shout.

We ain’t done yet!

I think Cornick could be a loan to L1 or Championship. I just can’t see him getting much game time for the foreseeable which could mean a wide player coming in perhaps?

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The Vyner one feels confusing in that, if posts on here are to be believed, nobody wants to sell him, he doesn't want to leave and he's potentially off in any case. You'd think it would have to be a heck of a bid...

Yeah it's a situation in which you'd typically get decent money, although I'm sure some will have their doubts about that 😁

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Harsh on McCrorie.

Proved he's not bad going forward ala So'ton home last season he's good enough at this level. 

Think Sykes doesn't help at times, when he doesn't commit to a run outside. Same when he's in front of Tanner.

• Like 2

Few of you are ready and waiting to pounce I see. The players that were here before Manning didn’t have much room to grow, their ceiling was being hit already. NP did a fabulous job with FFP, bringing in the academy lads and selling on for large sums, making use of what he had etc. You’re then left with the likes of Bell, Cornick and Vyner where there isn’t room to grow because they aren’t good enough to challenge for the top 6 and beyond.

This talk of ‘expected evolution’ with the same squad as last season is fairytale stuff. You need to stay with the pack and better yourself further, which is what City look to be doing now they are able to do so.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Think the issue is he's not mobile enough to play midfield unless he's as anchor.

Wouldn't shock me to see him go, to be honest. Especially from a wage standpoint.

Could easily see someone like Stoke going in for him.

Anchor is fine for some games, probably his best position really- IMO anyway.

Can't see him being on more than £10-15k a week but I await correction.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Just get agreement here, Manning explicitly said numerous times that he wanted Conway to stay. The club were then left with two options; cash in now, or let him leave on a free+comp. Getting rid of Conway was reactionary, rather than plan A. 

Maybe it's a grey area which isn't worth us arguing the toss?

I suppose I feel that the point holds that some of this recruitment has been necessary replacement for outgoings that may [or may not] have been unwanted.

He probably didn't sit in the boardroom and shout "get Conway, Tayls and Zak out of here FFS!" Whereas he definitely shouted "Get me Twine! For any price! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaase!!"

There’s literally no grey area between a manager owning a decision to put his striker in the reserves and then saying he didn’t want to get rid 😂😂 

He certainly didn’t shout on the boardroom. But your split is definitely reductive! Easiest thing to say is we know Twine is almost 100% Manning, but he’s certainly not been in violent objection to the other decisions, so absolving him of blame/credit isn’t wise (ultimately even if the recruitment team identified Bird, Manning has to play him)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Few of you are ready and waiting to pounce I see. The players that were here before Manning didn’t have much room to grow, their ceiling was being hit already. NP did a fabulous job with FFP, bringing in the academy lads and selling on for large sums, making use of what he had etc. You’re then left with the likes of Bell, Cornick and Vyner where there isn’t room to grow because they aren’t good enough to challenge for the top 6 and beyond.

This talk of ‘expected evolution’ with the same squad as last season is fairytale stuff. You need to stay with the pack and better yourself further, which is what City look to be doing now they are able to do so.

Interesting that you put Vyner in that category, given that he was part of the cornerstone to the 4th best defence in the division last season.

Cornick yes had his day probably but who reached the Playoffs in 2021-22? Naismith and Cornick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Describing concerns as "ready to pounce" is not really on. This is a discussion forum. 

The expectation was a new head coach would be able to get the best out of the likes of Bell and Cornick. We signed Cornick from a top 6 side after he played a big part in them getting to the top 6. 

It's not fairytale stuff when it was communicated that's what we'd be doing. We've since changed direction and it's only right that people are talking about that, because that's what football fans do, talk about football. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Harsh on McCrorie.

Proved he's not bad going forward ala So'ton home last season he's good enough at this level. 

Think Sykes doesn't help at times, when he doesn't commit to a run outside. Same when he's in front of Tanner.

He just hasn’t been fit enough for me to form an opinion. So I don’t think it would harm chemistry is what I am saying. More than he isn’t good enough. I also didn’t get spending 2m on a RB. I just don’t think that is where millions should be going for a non PP club. Also is a reason he’ll probably see out most of his contract here. 

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Describing concerns as "ready to pounce" is not really on. This is a discussion forum. 

The expectation was a new head coach would be able to get the best out of the likes of Bell and Cornick. We signed Cornick from a top 6 side after he played a big part in them getting to the top 6. 

It's not fairytale stuff when it was communicated that's what we'd be doing. We've since changed direction and it's only right that people are talking about that, because that's what football fans do, talk about football. 

Spot on there. It is on a par with some posters earlier asking for pro NP posts to be removed or redirected.

The points made about revolution instead of evolution are fair. Yet it's better than stagnation. 

Regardless of the semantics and past communication it doesn't really matter. If our team plays better and we win matches no-one will particularly care what has taken place. That's the most important part!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Agree on Cornick and the jury is certainly out on Bell but, with Vyner, the whole conversation seems to be alleged interest from two Premier League teams. As @Mr Popodopoloussays, he was part of one of the fewest conceding defences in the Championship last season. He's certainly not one of the obstacles to us achieving a top six finish - the problems lay in creativity and attack. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

‘Concerns’, what is so concerning?

We all know Bell and Cornick will only be squad players. The latter just hasn’t worked out here, it happens. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting that you put Vyner in that category, given that he was part of the cornerstone to the 4th best defence in the division last season.

Cornick yes had his day probably but who reached the Playoffs in 2021-22? Naismith and Cornick.

Yeah, that’s fair. Vyner shouldn’t be in that conversation.

38 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Still I guess only speculation, the only way I think that Vyner goes is a offer that both he and the club would find difficult to turn down, and that from the Prem , if so then the club would be totally justified in bringing in a replacement as Zak is a key player , that would not be stockpiling players it would be prudent 

16 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

The points made about revolution instead of evolution are fair. Yet it's better than stagnation. 

Regardless of the semantics and past communication it doesn't really matter. If our team plays better and we win matches no-one will particularly care what has taken place. That's the most important part!

Yes and No. I think you’re underestimating the reverberations of what the board did last year and how it broke trust with a large proportion of the fanbase. And it meant that a lot of us felt they weren’t acting in the clubs best interest.

What I mean by that is that I’ve always said sacking NP was their decision. Didn’t agree with it, but it happens at clubs. What I didn’t and won’t forgive is the wilful sabotage of the situation, allowing a manager to bring in £35m and then leaving him so short on resources we had the Cardiff game. And then using that as a reason to sack him. They should have bit the bullet and sacked him in 2023 summer - they didn’t and chose to leave us short for the season because they didn’t have the guts.

And to be clear, that squad decision made Liams job all the more difficult. He didn’t perform well last year but that isn’t the full story - the full story was upstairs. But the current recruitment, again, totally undermines everything they said last year. It’s welcome - and we all really knew additions were needed - but it just highlights the bull. And to clarify, they’ve also undermined Liam - he’s no longer being viewed fully as a coach who can improve and train players above their potential as he was positioned as - he’s being viewed in large part as a coach who needs a lot of players. If it doesn’t work, the way they’ve done things has harmed his future chances elsewhere.

Basically, I hate being lied to. I accept lies happen in football like “he’s a few weeks off” then being on the bench. I don’t accept systematically and continually (Mebude permit anyone?) lying to the fanbase and then all of a sudden forgiving because we win some games.

Not renewing a season ticket was never an option as it’s my club. Not going to as many away games as I can was not an option as it’s my club. And I’ll be celebrating as much as anyone if everything comes off.

But will I not particularly care what took place? Absolutely not. I’ll still care, and still want liars out of our club ASAP

So, yes and no!

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

7 minutes ago, KingHillRed said:

In my humble opinion, a team that contains Zak Vyner does not get promoted out of this league...

Fair enough.

Out of interest which of the following do you think would be in a team that did;

O’Leary, Tanner, McCrorie, Pring, Naismith, Williams, TGH, Sykes, Mehmeti, Bell, Armstrong, Wells, Cornick?

• Like 1

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Wow. In the context of what you replied to, you'd be concerned if we traded out Mehmeti?!

Didn't have that on my bingo card for today. You've changed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Harsh on McCrorie.

One good cross in a season. Is that really enough? I'd lose no sleep over him going.