IGNORED

Willem 11 pre-season friendly

Jerseybean

We extend a very warm welcome to Willem II for our final friendly and first at Ashton Gate.

There is a longstanding, positive bond between their fans and ours, as referenced in this wiki piece: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_II_(football_club)#:~:text=The fans of Willem II,the other way to Tilburg.

The link was apparently started by Elko De Jong who visited Bristol and the late great man Scooter. Some went over there with Elko to watch Willem II some came this way to watch City. In 2008 more came over for a City game and Scooter took 28 over for a trip and it grew from there with Scooter doing more trips which became popular with groups of sometimes 100+.

Around 200 of their fans were at Wembley for our JPT final against Walsall.

Here’s an old OTIB thread about the link between the two clubs: https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/170619-bristol-city-and-willem-links/ and another: https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/225018-willem-ii-tilburg-link/

Back in 2015 a petition was started to get a friendly between them and us, https://www.change.org/p/bristol-city-fc-willem-ii-fc-fans-of-bristol-city-willem-ii-would-like-the-two-clubs-to-play-each-other-in-a-pre-season-friendly

The club was renamed Willem II after Dutch King William II of the Netherlands (1792–1849), who, as Prince of Orange and commander of the Dutch army, had his military headquarters in Tilburg during the Belgian uprising of 1830, spent much time in the city after becoming king, and died there.

Tickets: https://tickets.bristol-sport.co.uk/en-GB/events/bristol city v willem ii/2024-8-3_15.00/ashton gate stadium?hallmap

In May they secured promotion back to the Eredivisie, https://nltimes.nl/2024/05/03/willem-ii-promoted-eredivisie-draw-fc-dordrecht and https://youtu.be/EWui7uBrdzI

Louie Donowa played for them and us.

Some of their best known ex-players include Virgil van Dijk, Frenkie de Jong and Hyppia.

Let’s hope it’s a match that all fans enjoy.

IMG_5128.jpeg

IMG_5141.jpeg

IMG_5109.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

I have seen a lot of mention on this thread and others concerning Willem about ‘Scooter’.

Apart from being a City supporter, who was he exactly.

I’m not being sarcastic or in any way disrespectful, but I am just seriously interested as to why he is so well thought of.

Many Thanks in advance.

29 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Please don’t ruin this thread with politics, 

Exactly. Today should be a day we don’t have to think about the outside nonsense.

Enjoy it!

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have seen a lot of mention on this thread and others concerning Willem about ‘Scooter’.

Apart from being a City supporter, who was he exactly.

I’m not being sarcastic or in any way disrespectful, but I am just seriously interested as to why he is so well thought of.

Many Thanks in advance.

Here you go:

https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/212772-scooter/page/2/

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/bristol-city-paul-scooter-surridge-5585521

https://www.stpetershospice.org/tribute-funds/paul-scooter-surridge/

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-city-flag-day-tribute-5747486

IMG_5200.jpeg

IMG_5199.jpeg

IMG_5198.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 4

Paid rhe £5 for streaming but nothing else showing up apart from Robins tv showing the match starting at 3.00! Anyone else noticed this? Will the club release  the team line up early or will it remain a mystery until kick off? 😂

4 hours ago, skinheadface said:

No such thing as "Edl"anymore so would be difficult. 

There sadly is, though far more fragmented nowadays

2 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

Oh shut up this a football forum leave your politics out of it!

Yes it was a political jibe, but the original question was fair to be honest given they're supposedly going to be in Bristol later. Though there's an argument that if they want a bit of football related "bovver" then the Mem may be the better place to find it.

Just now, wayne allisons tongues said:

Only 1 missing is Williams 

wonder if he was fit would he make the bench for it looks strong 

Williams, Atkinson, Murphy (and Yu)

When you see it down on paper it does again play to the fact that we have a deep squad but bereft of real quality. In most cases you could swap in a bench player for one in the starting eleven without a discernable difference.

Its not necessarily a bad thing as it does provide competiton for places, and hopefully that pushes players on, but it looks hugely mid table when you see our “best” eleven on paper.

• Like 8

No Williams or Atkinson is a concern, hopefully not too bad

Will be interesting to see if Bell isn't on the right hand side. As it's Manning I expect he will be to hold the width with Pring on the left and Mehmeti and Wells the 2 10s

4 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

if we get Twine and the defender from Burnley we do look a very good squad 

Twine and mcnally would be 2 top 6 level players, im not sure how many others would be at that level? Hopefully the 3 other new lads are!

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Twine and mcnally would be 2 top 6 level players, im not sure how many others would be at that level? Hopefully the 3 other new lads are!

Pring? Dickie? Knight? William's? Maybe even Bird?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Much as I admire your optimism coming from a top six club that haven’t been playing you does not make you a top six player, in fact it can often mean you’re not!

If you look at players of ours that would be wanted by top six clubs then there is the obvious case of Pring. Potentially Vyner, Dickie, Knight, on a limited sample Roberts and even at a push now Max. So our obvious strength is at the back. But attacking wise it’s definitely below that level and Twine doesn’t move the dial.

The only other player who is genuinely wanted by a top six club is Tommy Conway. But people don’t want to hear that….

• Like 5

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

When you see it down on paper it does again play to the fact that we have a deep squad but bereft of real quality. In most cases you could swap in a bench player for one in the starting eleven without a discernable difference.

Its not necessarily a bad thing as it does provide competiton for places, and hopefully that pushes players on, but it looks hugely mid table when you see our “best” eleven on paper.

I'd argue that pretty much most of our defenders could slot into a top 6 side and not look out of place. Whether collectively they make a top 6 defence is another question but I feel that is definitely our strength. Any success we manage this season is gonna come down to whether it's good enough to make up for a potential scarcity of goals for.

• Like 2

Just now, Ian M said:

I'd argue that pretty much most of our defenders could slot into a top 6 side and not look out of place. Whether collectively they make a top 6 defence is another question but I feel that is definitely our strength. Any success we manage this season is gonna come down to whether it's good enough to make up for a potential scarcity of goals for.

I think I may have just said that as you were posting ;)

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agreed. The fact we can all argue over exactly which 4 of 8 or so attackers we would want to start is probably a testament to that.

Feels like we've added quantity rather than a clear step up in quality, so far.

Early days though, perhaps one of Armstrong/Mayulu/Yu will push on.

17 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

No Williams or Atkinson is a concern, hopefully not too bad

Will be interesting to see if Bell isn't on the right hand side. As it's Manning I expect he will be to hold the width with Pring on the left and Mehmeti and Wells the 2 10s

Disappointed to see Bell. Nowhere near good elite for the first 11. Hoping we can get one more right sided attacking player in. This is not an inspiring team I have to say. 

• Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think it's better than having greater variation in quality. My theory is that it reduces the chances of peaks and troughs in form, hopefully reduces the impact of injuries, and means we don't rely on any one player.

Ideally you become more than the sum of your parts because of this more even spread of talent.

Theoretical yes, but I'm happy with a squad of 7/10s (and Mehmeti of course).

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Haha 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think it's better than having greater variation in quality. My theory is that it reduces the chances of peaks and troughs in form, hopefully reduces the impact of injuries, and means we don't rely on any one player.

Ideally you become more than the sum of your parts because of this more even spread of talent.

Theoretical yes, but I'm happy with a squad of 7/10 (and Mehmeti of course).

I mean I want Mehmeti to have a stellar season because we need a new victim to pick on a la Semenyo/Matt Smith vibes 😅

@Silvio Dante

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Not really. He is a better player. Don’t rate McRorie. 

Depends what each is being asked to do.

Tanner is a better defender, McCrorie going forward.

In a back four this selection makes sense.

Thought Sykes would start in front of either Bell or Mehmeti, no other choice surprises me.

Atkinson is less versatile than Naismith if we’re putting one of those two on the bench.

• Like 1

Can't find a single live stream for this, literally every other friendly in all 4 divisions and below is being shown, but not ours, bizarrely

(Edit: they're FA Cup games, my mistake)

Edited by Porto Red

Just now, Porto Red said:

Can't find a single live stream for this, literally every other friendly in all 4 divisions and below is being shown, but not ours, bizarrely

It's a fiver on Robins TV

2 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

advertised on here, so hopefully.

http://www.fawanews.com/Bristol City vs Willem II.html

Edited by paignton red
  • Thanks 1

No surprise Tanner over McCrorie for me...more so with an away game to start with next week.  Expect a good share of minutes between the two of them.

Big chances for Bell and Mehmeti, if indeed this is an audition.

• Like 1