IGNORED

Willem 11 pre-season friendly

Jerseybean

Just now, fly in the air said:

do you think we need another striker petehinton8 you say Armstrong will get stick what from the fans or defenders 

Pretty sure he means from the fans. Armstrong is looking very hit and miss so far - some great play showing his athleticism, interspersed with some poor first touches and wild end product. Our fans aren't always patient with such players (e.g. Semenyo).

I'd be very surprised if we signed another striker, having signed 2 already.

6 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Still not convinced by Bell. Doesn’t really offer much going forward. Still seems more league 1 than champ.

Cue he’ll score in a mo 😁

Pring and Mehmeti on the left look so much better and create so much more than Tanner and Bell on the right who are so pedestrian.

• Like 2

That was a second gear performance from City, which I guess is normal in a friendly. 

Armstrong had three bad moments in the final third, but then Wells, Bell and Mehmeti have all fluffed their lines too.

Shooting practice has just been scheduled in.

Definitely have the chances and been the better team, really unsure where the goals comes from at present (admittedly not watched Fally yet though). Really like Knight and Bird as a midfield two and Mehmeti has been very lively, not convinced Bell is the best we have in that position and Armstrong is still very raw

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Armstrong is gonna get some reaaaaaal stick this season

We shouldn't be relying on him as our main striker, but we've put ourselves in this position.

Let's hope Fally fairs better when he comes on! Or Harry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

agree, you’d think surely Sykes is a better option. Still got Yu to come in. I’d probably have McCorie for Tanner in a flat 4 aswell

I also prefer McCrorie over Tanner as a full back / wing back, but out of possession we're moving from a back 4 to a back 3, with the right full back (Tanner) becoming the right centre back. Given Tanner is probably a better CB than McCrorie, I can understand the decision to start him.

Agree on Sykes. I'd currently start him on that right hand side. My guess is that when fit, Yu is Manning's "1st choice" for that position.

Just now, east sussex red said:

Pring and Mehmeti on the left look so much better and create so much more than Tanner and Bell on the right who are so pedestrian.

We lack a left footed winger who can cut in and allow the overlap from the full back like Pring and Mehmeti do. McCrorie would work well with a lefty. 

12 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Still not convinced by Bell. Doesn’t really offer much going forward. Still seems more league 1 than champ.

Cue he’ll score in a mo 😁

We all hope he makes it as hes the son of a legend but sorry not sure he's championship quality

• Like 1

1 minute ago, east sussex red said:

Think this is why a back 3 suits Tanner so well, he can focus on what he’s good at defensively whereas going forward he doesn’t quite have the quality there. 

Enjoyable first half, although we didn’t look like scoring, used the ball sensibly and looked fairly lively.

Max Bird looks like a very good signing, enjoyed a couple of excellent diagonal passes from Vyner, Armstrong, as we already know is raw, all the usual caveats re friendly games apply

Be very interesting if Twine signs to see what difference he makes as our creativity and goal scoring is still issues in my opinion.

Just now, Dr Balls said:

So far a bit like watching England at the Euros, which I thought was quite like City last season, without the occasional flashes of inspiration. Lots of possession and running but very little end product. Need a bulk buy of shooting boots before next Saturday!

I refer to my prior comments over lacking any real quality!

Watching on Robins TV and it’s very much as expected - we’re playing the equivalent of a Rotherham-ish standard (lower champ/higher L1) and as expected on a game like that, we have more of the ball and look comfortable in possession. Echo that Bird looks a good player and accomplished but it’s toothless. Armstrong has made a couple of good runs but is today the “rabbit in headlights” QPR said he was and is snatching (that cross was…interesting) and the two Mehmeti efforts were easily saved from distance. I’m not sure the move to a 4-4-2 (noting formations are fluid etc) actually does us a lot of favours from this - Nakhi is playing very high up and we don’t have enough wide to get behind easily, so that “10” does seem important.

TL:DR Defensively not tested but solid. Bird very good. Not sure where goals come from.

• Like 1

Just now, Sleepy1968 said:

We shouldn't be relying on him as our main striker, but we've put ourselves in this position.

I think it's a bit early for this kind of chat. Armstrong has already scored twice in pre-season.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Armstrong is gonna get some reaaaaaal stick this season

Not there today so not commenting on the game but even the charitable QPR fans described him as “raw”.

Scoring against Cheltenham & Exeter doesn’t really mean a thing, his record at his previous club shows he’s a project, rather than the finished article some on here are predicting big things from this season.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Midred said:

Who's, the ref? He seems to let the game flow but gives the free kicks to the visitors.

Looks like Andy Davies????

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

A lot more raw than I imagined tbh....

That's what he is.  Step up in opponent today though.  Enough shown, he's gonna thrill and frustrate, get used to it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

So all in all everything sounds just like last season 😂 

Yep. Bird looks OK, on a par with Williams imo. I'd like to see TGH given a chance, he's had a good preseason.

Armstrong ? Looks very raw. Poor first touch, wayward finishing and crossing. Gonna have to have some patience with him. 

Usual city performance, lot of possession but no end product. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I refer to my prior comments over lacking any real quality!

Watching on Robins TV and it’s very much as expected - we’re playing the equivalent of a Rotherham-ish standard (lower champ/higher L1) and as expected on a game like that, we have more of the ball and look comfortable in possession. Echo that Bird looks a good player and accomplished but it’s toothless. Armstrong has made a couple of good runs but is today the “rabbit in headlights” QPR said he was and is snatching (that cross was…interesting) and the two Mehmeti efforts were easily saved from distance. I’m not sure the move to a 4-4-2 (noting formations are fluid etc) actually does us a lot of favours from this - Nakhi is playing very high up and we don’t have enough wide to get behind easily, so that “10” does seem important.

TL:DR Defensively not tested but solid. Bird very good. Not sure where goals come from.

Agree. Very well organised. They are getting more balls into the box at least but still looking for that final ball quality. 

3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

FWIW, I think the "plan" is for Mayulu to be the main striker.

The squad numbers reflect that, and given their backgrounds over the last year or so, Mayulu appears to be the slightly more polished option.

My guess is that if, a few weeks ago, you'd asked Manning who he expected to be starting up front for him vs Hull, he would have said Mayulu.

Obviously, their relative form since joining may have changed that.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

51 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Anyone know roughly how Willem II compare to us in terms of standard?

Are they the equivalent of a Championship standard team?

The budget of Bristol City is about 3/4 times the yearly budget of Willem II to give you an impression. So happy it is still 0-0 at half time 😉

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That's what he is.  Step up in opponent today though.  Enough shown, he's gonna thrill and frustrate, get used to it.

Hopefully this will be the only occaision we see him this season? *

*Andy Davies!

Edited by Midred

10 minutes ago, temp said:

Not scoring or conceeding = MEDIOCRE = the season coming up = the past season; until the boss makes meaningfull signings and keeps them, we are not progressing

Ah I've missed OTIB on match days.

45 minutes into a pre season friendly and that's enough to show we've made no progress since last season!

• Haha 5

Reading the comments on here, my enthusiasm for a new season has taken a hit.

How can the club make pre season comments re top six, and then the team look, according to those following on screen or at AG, no better than last?

we need a 10 and a striker minimum,  exactly as many said months ago. Abject planning as the club knew that we would be likely, as today, to be without Twine and Conway.  

If there aren’t quality signings by the end of the window suspect, one way or the other, our pressing need will be a new Head Coach

All so typical of City

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2
  • Facepalm 9

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That's exactly what my QPR mate said. Will excite, entertain but nothing like the finished article.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, temp said:

Not scoring or conceeding = MEDIOCRE = the season coming up = the past season; until the boss makes meaningfull signings and keeps them, we are not progressing

**** I 🤣🤣🤣🤣 embarrassing.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got a real good eye for a run though, dropped his defender and got into space in the channel quite a few times already. 

One that might take a little while to heat up but some stuff i like already! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

FWIW, I think the "plan" is for Mayulu to be the main striker.

The squad numbers reflect that, and given their backgrounds over the last year or so, Mayulu appears to be the slightly more polished option.

My guess is that if, a few weeks ago, you'd asked Manning who he expected to be starting up front for him vs Hull, he would have said Mayulu.

Obviously, their relative form since joining may have changed that.

Squad numbers mean absolutely nothing.

Mayulu started only 14 games last season in a league most of us know little about.

If the plan was for him to be the main striker he’d have started today.

They’ll probably rotate until we have a clearer idea of who is doing better.

Edited by GrahamC

11 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Sinclair has a definite presence though. Can see him being a handful in a Semenyo kind of way. Like Semenyo when he was here, it’s the finishing that’s lacking. Hopefully it will come.

There’s definitely a touch of the Semenyo about him. A touch of the Bas Savage too!! Hopefully it’ll be the former that wins through!! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

How can the club make pre season comments re top six, and then the team look, according to those following on screen or at AG, no better than last?

we need a 10 and a striker minimum,  exactly as many said months ago. Abject planning as the club knew that we would be likely, as today, to be without Twine and Conway.  

If there aren’t quality signings by the end of the window suspect, one way or the other, our pressing need will be a new Head Coach

All so typical of City

It’s a friendly. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

All so typical of City

So you’re not even watching the game and you’re going off a couple of comments on a pre season match? May aswell not even go next season 

• Flames 3

25 minutes ago, Hocca said:

We lack a left footed winger who can cut in and allow the overlap from the full back like Pring and Mehmeti do. McCrorie would work well with a lefty. 

Nelson could make a big difference but given Manning's lack of appetite for playing youngsters I expect he will plod on with Bell.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

27 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

do you think we need another striker petehinton8 you say Armstrong will get stick what from the fans or defenders 

It'll be the fans.?...........as he is not yet the  finished article?   He is like an early Semenyo, who took some awful stick initially, but as we all very well know has turned out to be a Premiership forward?   Patience is needed with Armstrong, as he is gonna make some mistakes until the coaching and minutes start,  hopefully,   to work on his overall game?

• Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, willem ii said:

The budget of Bristol City is about 3/4 times the yearly budget of Willem II to give you an impression. So happy it is still 0-0 at half time 😉

What is our yearly budget.?

What's yours.?

Mayulu already looks more of the finished article than Armstrong. He may need a bit more time to get used to the Championship but looks like he could come good. As @italian davealready noted there are definitely some Bas Savage vibes about Armstrong at the moment.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Mayulu started only 14 games last season in a league most of us know little about.

Think you may have missed my point a bit.

The plan probably was for him to be the main striker, but I think pre-season form may have changed that. You're right in saying that at this moment in time, it could be either of them and will likely be a rotation until one establishes themselves as 1st choice.

FWIW, I've just checked that stats and both Mayulu and Armstrong started almost exactly the same percentage of their clubs' league games last season. Though of course, Mayulu is slightly older and joins us with a slightly superior goal record.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Must say, seeing Mayulu be screamed at by Knight twice, and bite back at Manning after he berated him for not tracking back from a counter, have been real eye openers

Edited by petehinton
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

So you’re not even watching the game and you’re going off a couple of comments on a pre season match? May aswell not even go next season 

Of course what wil be, will be.

Just hope my worries come to naught, but previous experience, decade after decade, suggests otherwise to this long in the tooth fan.

Is anyone truly excited by our new strikers? I have said before to keep established fans coming and to attract the youngsters we need heroes, and that usually means a striker.

• Like 3

So far (81 minutes) everything is very neat and tidy but little in terms of real excitement or clear chances. Pre-season friendlies don’t necessarily mean too much and, being fair, new players need time to blend but City seem to lack that little bit of extra flair..  The best thing is the atmosphere which is far better than usual for pre-season

Ps - as I type Harry Cornick is coming on so anything can happen in the next 9 minutes)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, maxjak said:

It'll be the fans.?...........as he is not yet the  finished article?   He is like an early Semenyo, who took some awful stick initially, but as we all very well know has turned out to be a Premiership forward?   Patience is needed with Armstrong, as he is gonna make some mistakes until the coaching and minutes start,  hopefully,   to work on his overall game?

At which point they flog him at the first opportunity, and buy another “ hopeful “ 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Sinclair & Mayulu are both going to take a lot of time to settle in, big gamble imo , hope Nakki stays fit otherwise we are in trouble. 

No pressure Tinnion or Manning eh. jury is well and truly out on our leadership team. 

• Like 4

This is exactly what concerned me, we're no better off than we were last season and we're very likely to be a midtable season at best.

We still lack that ability to create through the middle, a lot of crosses that aren't really causing any problems and we just look toothless when playing a slow build-up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Every time I see Bird. He just oozes quality. 

Top player and gonna be a great pivot in midfield for us. I could see him being a great foil for Twine if we sign him.

• Like 1

Am amazed at people’s surprise at our lack of forward quality. We are arguably weaker in that department than last season and we weren’t very good then either. We’ve two unproven, young forwards that we are hoping can do the business but will take time to get there if they do. 

It’s got another unspectacular Bristol City season written all over it. 

Edited by Jose
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Could someone just play a ball through for Stokes please. He is making the runs but not seeing anything of the ball, but I guess previous City forwards could have warned him of that!

• Robin 1