IGNORED

Willem 11 pre-season friendly

Jerseybean

8 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Agreed. I think a few might be in for a shock. If that starting 11 today is the same for the Hull game then it doesn’t look great. Manning seems to have gone 1980’s retro with a semblance of a 4/4/2 formation. Be honest is that team an improvement on last season? I think we’ve had a shocker in the summer window. 

We certainly look like we are a lot less scared to lose the ball and try something clever!

For my tuppence we don’t know yet if we have had a shocking window, but certainly we have taken some risks with signings that’s for sure. If it comes off its brilliance, if it doesn’t we all become hindsight quarter backs. 

My worry is for Atkinson Benerous Williams and Yu  and how on earth we will keep our squad happy when they are fit! Not sure what they will do with Nelson but he’s earned something better than not even being in the squad, but maybe he has a knock too!

9 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Agreed. I think a few might be in for a shock. If that starting 11 today is the same for the Hull game then it doesn’t look great. Manning seems to have gone 1980’s retro with a semblance of a 4/4/2 formation. Be honest is that team an improvement on last season? I think we’ve had a shocker in the summer window. 

I’ve tried not to be negative and have rightly been reined in earlier in the window by other people on here when I said I was fearful about the way things were going a few weeks back.   We just have to see how it pans out over the next few weeks, and give them some time and see where we are then.  Trouble for me is that I don’t see Twine as making the huge difference that some do  on here - and that’s even if we do get him.  But let’s see!  Hopefully we are pushing top 6 and my current thoughts are completely and utterly unfounded! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Maybe they’ll look at the tattooed guy who was ranting on the videos posted in the political thread.

He will do fine 😂   He doesn’t lack passion ( perhaps a tad misguided) 

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Aggressive front foot football?

Got a lot more work to do then!

Optimism for the season ahead already appropriately tempered by a performance that looked very much like many of them last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Manning will use this to tell the hierarchy “look, I made a nice solid unit, now you need to go get me Twiney so we can unlock defences”

That Willem No.8 was the best player on the park IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

It'll be the fans.?...........as he is not yet the  finished article?   He is like an early Semenyo, who took some awful stick initially, but as we all very well know has turned out to be a Premiership forward?   Patience is needed with Armstrong, as he is gonna make some mistakes until the coaching and minutes start,  hopefully,   to work on his overall game?

Armstrong makes Cornick look like Pele 🙂

31 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

That was a good standard opposition that next season will play in the Dutch premier league. 

We didn’t look out of place and were well on top for long periods, while our own keeper was rarely bothered

All the forwards played well unfortunately without scoring. Bird and knight dominated Mehmeti caused problems and Cornick came on and nearly set up a winner from a cracking ball through

It was a very good test that we couldn’t quite win. Negatives really are in the head of some on here. 

Don't mean to nitpick, but is this perhaps a bit misleading?

Yes, they'll play in the Dutch Premier League this season, but that's certainly not equivalent to the English Premier League.

My understanding is that Willem are roughly at a top end L1, bottom end Championship standard, so perhaps we shouldn't be too overjoyed at "not looking out of place".

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Other insights? The “match day experience” is better without Downsy?

The seagulls in W11 are incessant irritants, and are happy to come within punching distance (I was sat in row 17). I didn't throw a punch mind. Highlights being

- one slid a metre down a safety rail before falling off;

-  5 or more landing in front of the exit, scraping over a bit of dropped food.

Dunno if there have been able post match interviews, but today was classic last preseason stuff.  You go into a game with the plan you’ve been working on all preseason, and find that against better opponents not all of it works, whether that’s personnel or system related, or a bit of both.

Manning will earn his corn this week deciding what the solution is…if any, whether that be more “drilling” or something else.

I always say that most managers view of their best team / system in their opening game is normally quite different by the end of September, if not earlier.

A few things from today.

Knight on left of Bird on right (opposite to natural foot).  I guess two fold, one - defensively they can protect the ball through the middle of them better, two - Knight likes to drift out into the left-half channel.  That allowed Pring to invert, and Mehmeti to pin the RB back / wide.  Our left side was so much more effective first half.

Second half, Manning swapped them over onto their natural foot, and whether that was correlation or causation, until the game got a bit stretched in the last 15 mins or so, we got forced down our right side.

And that right side in settled possession was poor.  Tanner (I like) but today his risk aversion meant both Bell and Sykes (who didn’t help themselves with their angles) had to back every time.

The only right side attacking was through longer ball into that channel - Armstrong and Mayulu.

Players who did themselves no harm:

Pring, Mehmeti, Bird

Players who didn’t help their cause:

Tanner, Bell

Lots of players with middling performances.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

38 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

That was a good standard opposition that next season will play in the Dutch premier league. 

We didn’t look out of place and were well on top for long periods, while our own keeper was rarely bothered

All the forwards played well unfortunately without scoring. Bird and knight dominated Mehmeti caused problems and Cornick came on and nearly set up a winner from a cracking ball through

It was a very good test that we couldn’t quite win. Negatives really are in the head of some on here. 

The reality is in the Championship there will be few sides we face as weak as the one we faced today.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think we saw he’s no slouch either, running into the right channel.  He’s not gonna be nimble in that frame, but he does have decent feet and wants to play others in.  His playing style is quite like Patrick Bamford.

I think there was a cross that fally played into cornick last week for one of his goals, he looked up and played a curled cross, really nice technique, i suspect hes much more polished technically than Armstrong? Buying one as a new young forward is fair enough, but buying 2 knowing we will rely on them for goals from week 1 feels a little optimistic!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The seagulls in W11 are incessant irritants, and are happy to come within punching distance (I was sat in row 17). I didn't throw a punch mind. Highlights being

- one slid a metre down a safety rail before falling off;

-  5 or more landing in front of the exit, scraping over a bit of dropped food.

Yep. They were a pain all along the Lansdown today. Might need to employ a bird of prey to scare them off for a while.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Manning will earn his corn this week deciding what the solution is…if any, whether that be more “drilling” or something else.

He's now had lots of time on the grass. Shouldn't have it sorted by now?

44 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

8 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Don't mean to nitpick, but is this perhaps a bit misleading?

Yes, they'll play in the Dutch Premier League this season, but that's certainly not equivalent to the English Premier League.

My understanding is that Willem are roughly at a top end L1, bottom end Championship standard, so perhaps we shouldn't be too overjoyed at "not looking out of place".

Overjoyed is your word and slightly unnecessary really. However as above.

It was good standard opposition

We didn't look out of place

Dominated for long periods

Mehmeti caused problems

etc etc etc as above

Exactly how good Willem II and the Dutch league will be next season remains to be seen. But I suspect most Dutchman would think their league is better than League 1

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

Yep. They were a pain all along the Lansdown today. Might need to employ a bird of prey to scare them off for a while.

I though the same. I'm a bird lover, but get the hawk in Jon. Just a loan signing with an option - that'll be grand.

Not sure what has changed from last season as was expecting a pre season to have bedded in Manning ball but no idea what that is at the moment.  It was like Deja vu of last season with lots of possession but no cutting edge.  Armstrong will have us tearing our hair out as bewildering pass selection and touch whilst at times looked ok. Mayulu is a lump and can see that there’s a player there but could take time to get up to speed.

Thought Memehti was mom just edging Bird.  Defensively sound but nothing from FBs going forward and Bell offered nothing.  Early days but I’m struggling to see where the creativity or goals are coming from.  

Finally, looking forward to Tilburg away next season and credit to their fans who were superb.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

How did Stokes play? Could he be the answer to the number 10 role until we sign Twine or alternative? 

Had no time really

Thought Bird was smooth with the ball, was trying not to play it sideways constantly which was refreshing. 

Thought Knight, Tanner, Bell and Armstrong were poor.

Nice to see TGH, Mayulu and Stokes come on and did a few nice things.

Felt very last season formulaic style for a lot of it. Didn't want to take risks and played it sideways and backwards. Don't think Twine is the answer to our problems if we're gunna play like that again.

Thought they knocked the ball around nicely.

21 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Got a lot more work to do then!

Optimism for the season ahead already appropriately tempered by a performance that looked very much like many of them last season.

I thought we were going towards that today, pressed much higher up the pitch, had the majority of the ball and pinned them back for most of the game. Quality/decision making in the final third was our trouble but you sometimes have games where it’s not as good and maybe it can be improved if we get Twine or similar

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Thought Bird was smooth with the ball, was trying not to play it sideways constantly which was refreshing. 

Thought Knight, Tanner, Bell and Armstrong were poor.

Nice to see TGH, Mayulu and Stokes come on and did a few nice things.

Felt very last season formulaic style for a lot of it. Didn't want to take risks and played it sideways and backwards. Don't think Twine is the answer to our problems if we're gunna play like that again.

Thought they knocked the ball around nicely.

Thought Knight had a good game so disagree there, Tanner as a right back isn’t ever going to give us the quality going forward, much better in a back 3 imo

• Like 1

Fally looked a better player than he did against Aldershot. Bell looked a lesser player than he did against them.

Swings and roundabouts at the moment.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

How did Stokes play? Could he be the answer to the number 10 role until we sign Twine or alternative? 

Difficult to tell if he can do it for 90 minutes obviously but showed some good signs.

39 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Decent considering he only played 10 minutes but not good enough to start imo

In 10 minutes he took up better positions to receive the ball, worked well with Fally and played two really good passes, one which nearly led to a goal. I think he has to be considered for at least part of the game against Hull.

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Difficult to tell if he can do it for 90 minutes obviously but showed some good signs.

In 10 minutes he took up better positions to receive the ball, worked well with Fally and played two really good passes, one which nearly led to a goal. I think he has to be considered for at least part of the game against Hull.

The big questions on today’s 20 are whether Williams and Atkinson are gonna be ready to come in.  That pushes 2 out if so.

• Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Fally looked a better player than he did against Aldershot. Bell looked a lesser player than he did against them.

Content with that, as long as there’s no slide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Spot on looks the sort of player you would bring on to unlock a tired defence in the last quarter of the game , definitely someone I want to see in the match day squad going forward

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

Don't go all swindle on us!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Thought Knight had a good game so disagree there, Tanner as a right back isn’t ever going to give us the quality going forward, much better in a back 3 imo

Thought he gave away the ball way too many times today and killed momentum quite a lot. Tanner can be okay just think the rigid setup with Sykes or Bell in front of him didn't work and he couldn't get out.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dunno if there have been able post match interviews, but today was classic last preseason stuff.  You go into a game with the plan you’ve been working on all preseason, and find that against better opponents not all of it works, whether that’s personnel or system related, or a bit of both.

I always say that most managers view of their best team / system in their opening game is normally quite different by the end of September, if not earlier.

A few things from today.

Knight on left of Bird on right (opposite to natural foot).  I guess two fold, one - defensively they can protect the ball through the middle of them better, two - Knight likes to drift out into the left-half channel.  That allowed Pring to invert, and Mehmeti to pin the RB back / wide.  Our left side was so much more effective first half.

Second half, Manning swapped them over onto their natural foot, and whether that was correlation or causation, until the game got a bit stretched in the last 15 mins or so, we got forced down our right side.

And that right side in settled possession was poor.  Tanner (I like) but today his risk aversion meant both Bell and Sykes (who didn’t help themselves with their angles) had to back every time.

The only right side attacking was through longer ball into that channel - Armstrong and Mayulu.

Players who did themselves no harm:

Pring, Mehmeti, Bird

Players who didn’t help their cause:

Tanner, Bell

Lots of players with middling performances.

Yeah, I don't like Tanner paired with a winger, it doesn't work. I was surprised we didn't see Bell and Mehmeti swap for a bit. Felt that would have suited them a bit more. To be honest unless we are playing a back 3 or against an elite left winger I would be picking McCrorie. 

On the overall game I didn't see what others are seeing, tbh. It wasn't the same as last year at all. The press was much better again; although less aggressive as some of the earlier friendlies. We also tried to play through the middle of the pitch and break lines a lot more than we did last season. Granted, it could be a lot more frequent, but Bird and Vyner in particular were good at that today. (Vyner was MOTM for me). 

We do seem to still be playing a lot round the outside and crossing often which makes me wonder why we didn't get a plan B striker in the Djuric mould. Armstrong and Mayulu look good players but neither of them look like they want to attack a cross and get on the end of things which begs the question, why cross it? 

Thought Wells looked good first half in the 10. 

Dickie seemed to struggle bringing the ball out a lot today, especially when JK was on the left. 

Edited by BobBobBobbin
formatting

2 hours ago, M.D said:

Looking at the first half, we need a number 10 and a striker.

Armstrong's first touch seems to be a health and safety issue.

This reminds me of a Ron Atkinson quote:

”Carlton Palmer can trap the ball further than I can kick it”

(I think it’s rather unfortunate as he was an underrated player and it was fashionable to make detrimental comments about him) 

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

There is no one either or willing able to play forward a ball that allows a player to run through. Without a “creative” No. 10 we will struggle to make many chances. And without that service, it wouldn’t matter if we had Conway, Mayulu, Armstrong or Erling Haaland up front, goals are going to be in a short supply.

Maybe this is one of the reasons Conway wanted to leave. His talents were  wasted in the City team with the current style of play. You should always play to the strengths of your best players. This rarely happened with Conway. When he did get the right service he was clinical - eg West Ham 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Enjoyed the game and atmosphere. 

Felt we looked too rigid first half. Liked Knight and Bird combo. Felt Armstrong looks a beast but a work in progress and enjoyed Fally's intro. Seemed to be more at it to me. Bell still strikes me as too slow and lightweight. Add Yu and a new no. 10, because no one looks good enough there currently, and it could be interesting. Also interested as to who drops for our current injured players to return to the squad. So think we miss Williams bite in midfield.

Again just my thoughts 

Bring on the new season 

COYR

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
Cause I can 😎
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Super said:

Clearly looks like GK Defence and 2 midfielders are sorted. The rest I haven't a clue tbh. We clearly need a 10 it's not Wells.

Agree with this 100% and will say as much when hosting the FBC Pod match review live at 09.00 Sunday

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Maybe this is one of the reasons Conway wanted to leave. His talents were  wasted in the City team with the current style of play. You should always play to the strengths of your best players. This rarely happened with Conway. When he did get the right service he was clinical - eg West Ham 

We were told by Tommy himself shortly after Manning arrived that he was told not to make runs in behind. Go figure.

Furthermore the plan was to get behind defences to supply Tommy with cut backs. Didn't happen.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

There is no one either or willing able to play forward a ball that allows a player to run through. Without a “creative” No. 10 we will struggle to make many chances. And without that service, it wouldn’t matter if we had Conway, Mayulu, Armstrong or Erling Haaland up front, goals are going to be in a short supply.

Had exactly the same thought. And the other thing that worried me a bit today was how poor our set pieces were. There’s an an obvious link to a certain transfer thread there….obviously hope that plan A comes to fruition, but if it doesn’t then I hope we have a plan B - and Wells didn’t look like that on either count. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I though the same. I'm a bird lover, but get the hawk in Jon. Just a loan signing with an option - that'll be grand.

They should pop down to my old manor of Bucks, nab a couple of red kites. Mind you, they're lazy bu99ers

47 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Of course not, I was being sarcastic since that is what we were promised and have yet to see. Maybe it will start next week. 😉

Fair shout, mate. Got to be honest I don’t think he has a clue what he’s doing. Formation, style of play & personnel seem to be made up as he goes along. My god I wish he was another McKenna, but I fear he’s just another Lee Johnson minus the cash. 

• Like 4

Don’t think today was too bad, exactly what you’re expecting from a final pre season game. 
We carved a couple of good chances, dominated the ball and didn’t look threatened throughout. 
Not going to be playing at 100% 7 days before the season begins. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought we were fine, we looked reasonably secure...technically fine.

No notable end product.

Sorry, no end product is fine? Think that is my concern about LM. We play Southgate style football without the game changers who can score a goal out of nothing 

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Sorry, no end product is fine? Think that is my concern about LM. We play Southgate style football without the game changers who can score a goal out of nothing 

Okay I'll rephrase that.

I think our side is generally fine in a number of areas. Solid, technically okay..but we may struggle for end product..Armstrong and Fally will take time to settle.

9 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

It was only a preseason friendly mate. Let's not get too bothered about it.

Next week actually matters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Keeper ✔️

Back 4 ✔️

Midfield ✔️

Strikers 👎

Armstrong was ok but didn’t see anything in Mayulu to excite me

He looked quite lethargic and no pace

One turn and shot was ok 

Im about to get hammered for this but Conway is far better than these two 🤫

Of course Conway is we always get rid of our best players.

11 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Keeper ✔️

Back 4 ✔️

Midfield ✔️

Strikers 👎

Armstrong was ok but didn’t see anything in Mayulu to excite me

He looked quite lethargic and no pace

One turn and shot was ok 

Im about to get hammered for this but Conway is far better than these two 🤫

1 minute ago, Street red said:

Of course Conway is we always get rid of our best players.

Conway is for me our best striker.

You can make a case for Wells over his career but he is in the latter stages and though a clever player isn't necessarily a Championship 10 against most.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Conway is for me our best striker.

You can make a case for Wells over his career but he is in the latter stages and though a clever player isn't necessarily a Championship 10 against most.

Agreed,Last season I don't believe Conway was at his best not even close he seemed very frustrated in alot of our play half the player he was under Pearson. A quality finisher when he's on his game a proper box striker. In my opinion a massive lose.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Don’t think today was too bad, exactly what you’re expecting from a final pre season game. 
We carved a couple of good chances, dominated the ball and didn’t look threatened throughout. 
Not going to be playing at 100% 7 days before the season begins. 

Not just me then thank god 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Street red said:

Agreed,Last season I don't believe Conway was at his best not even close he seemed very frustrated in alot of our play half the player he was under Pearson. A quality finisher when he's on his game a proper box striker. In my opinion a massive lose.

Nope. No. Nada. Completely Ineffective unless a chance comes his way. Doesn’t show for the ball. Doesn’t retain the ball. Physically a million miles off it - especially in the Champ where CBs are often big lumps. Shows little interest in pressing or making it difficult for the opposition. If he were 5% of the player he thinks he is he’d be a loss. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Can see others concerns about creativity. Thought we were the better than them, but thought they were poor to be honest?

Pretty solid but can’t see where goals are coming from at the moment.

We are solid, we are also reasonable technically.

We have/had decent energy.

Like you I am struggling to see the creativity or the breaking of the lines plus the goals.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous