IGNORED

Booking Fees

Oldland2

Sorry about this again isn’t it about time the club got it’s act together and either scrapped the booking fee or included it in the price of the ticket 

Edited by Oldland2
Spelling

One of the last bits of legislation the last government got through will place strict controls on “booking fees”. It won’t ban them completely but, where they’re unavoidable, they will have to be included in the advertised ticket price.

In other words, if the ticket price is advertised as £10 then when you go to book it you might find that it’s shows as £9 + £1 booking fee. But you won’t find it costing £10 + £1 booking fee.

I don’t know though when that particular section of the legislation is going to become effective. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Yes. I'm sure the SCAT have raised this before.

We have had long discussions about it 

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Definitely.  Booking fees added at the end are simply a con.

If a ticket price is £34 and the booking fee is £1 then the price should be advertised as £35.  Anything else is misleading 

Obviously there needs to be a fee charged for a transaction as there is either an IT program, a persons time or even postage to pay for  

We were told that the reason it isn't included in the cost is because if someone for example bought a ticket for Derby away and the amount you paid was higher than the price shown on the ticket it would cause confusion

We have to advertise the tickets as price of it's actual value 

• Like 1

No reason for booking fees on season tickets though - just include it in the price. In some of the early years in the South Stand there wasn’t a booking fee on top. This year there was a booking fee for each season ticket even when booked in one transaction!

• Admin
2 hours ago, eardun said:

No reason for booking fees on season tickets though - just include it in the price. In some of the early years in the South Stand there wasn’t a booking fee on top. This year there was a booking fee for each season ticket even when booked in one transaction!

I do agree with you, but it doesn't magically process itself, sadly everything comes at an additional cost 

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

I do agree with you, but it doesn't magically process itself, sadly everything comes at an additional cost 

Yep but just ensure that everything is included in the published price of a season ticket. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Why do we need a booking fee. Surely all the ticket price should cover all your costs to start with.

you don’t get petrol and they say that will be an extra 50p to cover out costs same with any shop you go in. So why do tickets have to have a booking fee. 

I'm no expert but I suspect it's a combination of tax treatment, the law (which probably states booking fees must be declared) and (most likely) the fee is charged by a third party, separate from the ticket price - ie not City or whoever our opponent is, rather organisation 'X' who manages ticket sales.

What would help would be the club just putting a note somewhere explaining why it's charged separately.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phantom said:

wasn’t that the point of Bristol Sport, shared services ect ect. And it pretty much DOES process itself. I log in, I buy ticket, it automatically emails me - no human element there for that transaction. 

Isn’t it the case that the software agreements on the ticketing system mean that there’s a fee to the vendor payable? 

TLDR. So they’ve cut costs, now pass additional costs on.  

• Admin
12 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I'm no expert but I suspect it's a combination of tax treatment, the law (which probably states booking fees must be declared) and (most likely) the fee is charged by a third party, separate from the ticket price - ie not City or whoever our opponent is, rather organisation 'X' who manages ticket sales.

What would help would be the club just putting a note somewhere explaining why it's charged separately.

I would imagine this is pretty much the case

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

wasn’t that the point of Bristol Sport, shared services ect ect. And it pretty much DOES process itself. I log in, I buy ticket, it automatically emails me - no human element there for that transaction. 

Isn’t it the case that the software agreements on the ticketing system mean that there’s a fee to the vendor payable? 

FWIW I do agree with you, but I am just cascading what I have been told in the past

Even what you mention above it still costs money to complete a transaction

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

I would imagine this is pretty much the case

FWIW I do agree with you, but I am just cascading what I have been told in the past

Even what you mention above it still costs money to complete a transaction

If you buy anything from the online shop there is no additional fee, so why a fee when buying tickets online. 

it never use to happen and I believe it was brought in due to a new software system but would be dropped when it paid for itself.

it is just basically an extra way to fleece more money from the fans.

if you have 3000 non season ticket holders buying tickets per league game you are looking at £70000 minimum per season in booking fees.

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Technically, someone has to set up and monitor the automated system, but I take your point

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

If you buy anything from the online shop there is no additional fee, so why a fee when buying tickets online. 

it never use to happen and I believe it was brought in due to a new software system but would be dropped when it paid for itself.

it is just basically an extra way to fleece more money from the fans.

if you have 3000 non season ticket holders buying tickets per league game you are looking at £70000 minimum per season in booking fees.

When was the last time you bought concert / theatre tickets online?

Assume you noticed something appear after selecting your seats?

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Which you’re procuring through a 3rd party.  We’re not doing that buying tickets from a football club.

Would be interesting to know how many Championship clubs charge a booking fee

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Which you’re procuring through a 3rd party.  We’re not doing that buying tickets from a football club.

Bristol Sport look after our ticketing 

Ticketmaster for example are the agent selling the tickets and add on a fee etc

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Buy concert theatre tickets quite often, depending on the ticketing company all the fees are now put onto the ticket before you buy.

Which is still not right but at least you know what you are paying.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Bristol Sport look after our ticketing 

Ticketmaster for example are the agent selling the tickets and add on a fee etc

The search fall over when I try to go all the way back, but I’m 60%  confident not having fees one one of the benefits they touted when it was stood up.  Like being able to “pass on the savings” with in house kits I guess…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I'm pretty sure you are right. It's a legal requirement as we are using a third party to sell, or selling on behalf of someone else in some cases, eg concerts, CATS etc