IGNORED

If we get £5 mil for Conway will it be reinvested

It seems now that Tommy will get sold quite soon. (I wonder if the teams showing interest match his initial thoughts, not much of an upgrade IMO)

Unless the Burnley swap deal gets done, I wonder if the fee will be available to LM or if this sale has already been factored in.

If it was £ 5 mil I wonder what our options would be?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

It seems now that Tommy will get sold quite soon. (I wonder if the teams showing interest match his initial thoughts, not much of an upgrade IMO)

Unless the Burnley swap deal gets done, I wonder if the fee will be available to LM or if this sale has already been factored in.

I think the increased budget coming out of the Conway deal has been spent in some part of Armstrong, and will get swallowed up in getting Twine / Twine’s twin.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

Umm…

- It’s widely reported as a £5m package not £5m up front and we’re likely to only see £2m-£3m day one

- We signed Sinclair Armstrong as Tommys replacement swallowing that money.

So, yes we will but also no we won’t if you see what I mean.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

50 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

If we lose Conway and sign Twine there is likely to be a significant difference in what we were paying Tommy and what Twine will be getting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

If we lose Conway and sign Twine there is likely to be a significant difference in what we were paying Tommy and what Twine will be getting.

And the wages on top of fees for Fally and Sinclair plus Yu

• Like 1

• Admin

To be fair, I believe it already is being reinvested. We heard at the start of the Summer that we wanted to sign 3 players, presumably in-line with the footballing budget. We have so far signed 3 and are being told we still want a 10 and one other. So I believe Tommy's departure is allowing us to sign 2 more than we originally planned for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

And the wages on top of fees for Fally and Sinclair plus Yu

minus the wages for Weimann/Conway and others and where did the Scott fee go? 20m plus;

make no mistake here, we have signed those 3 because they are cheap not because they are the best out there, just the best we can afford.; and to sell on at a profit when the war chest runs low of course.

• Like 3

Just now, temp said:

minus the wages for Weimann/Conway and others and where did the Scott fee go? 20m plus;

make no mistake here, we have signed those 3 because they are cheap not because they are the best out there, just the best we can afford.; and to sell on at a profit when the war chest runs low of course.

I estimate an Operating Loss of £15-20m, perhaps even £10-15m now so we can spend but we still have to be careful.

We'll see what the next Accounts show but I think we are being overly cautious and that is down to SL reducing input but also planning for new Financial Rules.

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

No it won’t, we sell , we don’t buy other than to purchase cheap prospects to sell on or the occasional experienced cheapie to maintain our mediocre mid table ambition 

16 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

= stagnation and eventual relegation. You have to invest fairly significantly to stand still let alone move forward 

I agree in general but..

That may not be altogether true with new Financial Rules supposedly coming in, that albeit Richard Gould was speaking of in January 2022!

They came in at UEFA level but they could well be in next season, 70% of Turnover on Football Costs and we have one of the top non Parachute Turnovers.

SL has been holding out for this for a while IMO.

1 hour ago, temp said:

Alex Scott fee was 5 million a year over 4 years. It wasn’t 20 million upfront 

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Talk Of The Town said:

For the Record:

Scott

*Profit on Disposal, Banked in 2023-24. £20m.

*Cash Flow- However the Instalments are paid.

*Instalments- £5m x 4..in which case it will appear as £4m per Year in the relevant part of the Cash Flow Statement contained within the relevant section.

*Amortisation- 5 year deal? For Bournemouth £4m per Year.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

As we lose 10-20m a year it's surely invested in reducing that debt per season.

Debt and Loss are two different things.

Yes it would offset the loss to the extent of the final Fee but our debt to Pula/SL as of the last Accounts was £90 odd million iirc.

The Instalments may reduce the amount of Cash or Equity SL needs to put in.

6 hours ago, temp said:

Exactly right, we are in the bargain bucket aisle.

• Like 2

So, we are a poor team ? Or the FFP is limiting our "boss" to spend like 35 mil pounds ?

I am not from your City and I don't know the snall things but why not risk a bit to buy good players that you can even sell maybe for the same money, and if it goes bad, can't be that bad, you buy for 10 you sell for 7 but you may get promoted.

Though, I also think we are not an attractive club for good players, as bad as it sounds. We can buy good players from abroad with 2 or 3 millions that can be good quality, because I have to say guys, your country is overpriced when it comes to transfer amounts. I see better quality players in some league that costs half of some player from Championship.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We are well within FFP by £10-15m by my estimates.

Perhaps by more.

With Parachute Payments being such an advantage to some clubs, I wonder if we will get to the stage when owners just hope for promotion as the playing field is never going to be level.

Many have tried the throw-money at it approach and failed, all they have done is increase fan expectation and player wages across the division.

If we were to buy better players, yes for more money then surely we would have much more valuable assets to sell if we had to? or dont we have the confidence to do that?

If Conway was go to Boro it would be for a higher wage and better prospects, Boro ffs are they that much more a prospect than us :facepalm:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Armstrong + Mayulu = Conway

12 hours ago, fisherrich said:

Exactly right, we are in the bargain bucket aisle.

And some of us remember 1982, and would rather that than the kind of mad spending we saw under LJ. I have no problem with us living within our means.

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

And some of us remember 1982, and would rather that than the kind of mad spending we saw under LJ. I have no problem with us living within our means.

Neither do I, what annoys me is that isn’t the line we’re fed, it’s that we are expecting top 6. It’s about setting the fans expectations, just be honest. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ashtongreight said:

Neither do I, what annoys me is that isn’t the line we’re fed, it’s that we are expecting top 6. It’s about setting the fans expectations, just be honest. 

That's a very good point. Raising expectations. Goal number one should be "do not get relegated from the championship". This season, every season.

Anything on top...is a blessing. We are who we are, where we are.

However, I do wonder if the new financial rules might work in our favour. But I don't know enough about them to comment with any authority.

What about if we made a play for Stansfield if Conway sold in a timely manner, given his best years should be yet to come and yet he is somewhat of a known quantity already.

How much would he cost? My thinking is age yet so far 12 Goals last year..therefore some level of resale potential too.

He's further along than Fally and Armstrong who may take a bit of time.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

19 hours ago, Talk Of The Town said:

Alex Scott fee was 5 million a year over 4 years. It wasn’t 20 million upfront 

The £20M was the fee which appears in the profit & loss for the year it happened. The £5M a year over 4 years has no bearing on FFP. With regard to add-ons, let's say an extra £1M was triggered by reaching 50 premier league appearances, that sum would appear in the p&l even though it might be paid in two instalments of £500k

• Like 1