IGNORED

Team for Coventry tomorrow

BCFC1512

It reminds me a bit of Bringing latent fanbase although Coventry a historically bigger club.

Quite well attended at the Goldsone say mid to late 1970s to mid 1980s..nothing much since.

Then new ground coinciding with Promotion in 2011- suddenly average 20k! Decent sized latent fanbases.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It reminds me a bit of Bringing latent fanbase although Coventry a historically bigger club.

Quite well attended at the Goldsone say mid to late 1970s to mid 1980s..nothing much since.

Then new ground coinciding with Promotion in 2011- suddenly average 20k! Decent sized latent fanbases.

I always saw them at Highfield Rd

• Haha 1

Cov will do well this season. They've added some more talented players to their squad (Rudoni, Mason-Clarke and Thomas-Asante).

I've backed them in my season league acca at 12-1 along with Bolton and Port Vale.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They've sold record for them Season tickets too, always had a decent latent fanbase to tap into when things going well. 20k as of mid June iirc.

Impressive all the same.

For last week's friendly v Everton, they had 17,000 in the ground. They then entertained German oppos;

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Cov will do well this season. They've added some more talented players to their squad (Rudoni, Mason-Clarke and Thomas-Asante).

I've backed them in my season league acca at 12-1 along with Bolton and Port Vale.

Top 6 strong chance of that IMO. Maybe even top 2 albeit 8/10 of the last top 2 Places were Parachute.

Less upheaval, strong side. Should do well.

8 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

Saying this though they have also lost Callum o hare. Who was probably there best player over last couple of seasons!! 

O'Hare is a good player Gratz tho he missed a large chunk of the last 2 seasons through injury. He was back in the Cov team for the second half of last season but didn't seem to hit the levels that he had previously done.

Leeds, Burnley and Luton will obviously be strong, but i've sided with Cov at a decent E/W Price.

Knowing my betting history they're probably nailed on for relegation now 😂

Edited by Edgy Red
Spelling
  • Like 4

A few memorable games (in my time).

Which year was the McAllister strike again?

*3-3 in the FA Cup under GJ

*Subsequent replay win up there.

*3-0 at Ricoh under GJ- after some early draws and narrow wins the margin was arguably a statement.

*Going/returning to the top on NYD 2008. Either top or safety nearly guaranteed with that win- think we were approaching 50 points?

*2012- Bolasie scored. 3-1 in the rain. Huge relegation 6 pointer, atmosphere very decent that day.

Others will certainly remmeber have been there in 1977..Well before my time that but heard of it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

I do wonder how they are affording all of this. 

I also do wonder the impact it will have on them that their assistant has left over the summer. There is a feeling that he was hugely influential in their successes. 

From an FFP perspective I'd say they are fine for a little while yet.

Hamer and Gykores aligned to a lowish cost base in 2022-23 help.

20k season tickets will have helped, wonder if fans returning post SISU will have helped. That can drive merchandise, sponsors etc.

Otoh their Costs will certainly have risen, I wonder if they are to some extent be it now it next season, banking on a Gykores sell-on Clause, a bit of that was reduced for a £2.5m payment by Sporting iirc.

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

From an FFP perspective I'd say they are fine for a little while yet.

Hamer and Gykores aligned to a lowish cost base in 2022-23 help.

20k season tickets will have helped, wonder if fans returning post SISU will have helped. That can drive merchandise, sponsors etc.

Otoh their Costs will certainly have risen, I wonder if they are to some extent be it now it next season, banking on a Gykores sell-on Clause, a bit of that was reduced for a £2.5m payment by Sporting iirc.

I'd imagine the Hamer and Gyokeres money has now gone? 

They've certainly had an uplift in support since returning to the CBS. 

But with all the signings they've made comes a big wage bill.

Id say they've over taken us on the wages front. 

They don't own their own stadium so that limits opportunities. 

It seems like further down the line they will have to rely on player sales? 

I'm not too sure if Doug King is willing to inject cash to meet the upper loss limits?

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'd imagine the Hamer and Gyokeres money has now gone? 

They've certainly had an uplift in support since returning to the CBS. 

But with all the signings they've made comes a big wage bill.

Id say they've over taken us on the wages front. 

They don't own their own stadium so that limits opportunities. 

It seems like further down the line they will have to rely on player sales? 

I'm not too sure if Doug King is willing to inject cash to meet the upper loss limits?

Ah well the Upper Loss Limit yeah that is the more important, I assume if he injects they should be within that until this sesson minimum. I'll check and see, unsure of his wealth- sure Doug King spoke of FFP recently but I'll check.

Gykores sell-on between £5-10m if it materialises and if is a key term but failing that yeah they'll need to sell at some point, just unsure it would be this season.

On 07/08/2024 at 13:28, Betty Swallocks said:

The Coventry end might not be busy as the sell out would suggest.
Talk that people have been buying tickets to ensure they pick up a decent amount of loyalty points for future away games 

Seen this as well, apparently a lot of Coventry fans have suddenly realised they can’t make it and are trying to flog the tickets on Facebook 🤣

On 06/08/2024 at 18:17, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit of a trek for every home game that..

Afternoon,  

Cov supporter here. Been on a few times over the years.   

We’re up to 22k ST holders now.  Despite the lure of Sky TV.   

But one reason for high away support is a points based ticket priority scheme.  New ST holders don’t get a look in unless they travel long distances or it is a mid-week game/ early cup game like this. 

This season is a big one.  We have most players with at least 3 seasons left on their contracts.  I think some will move on, but not this window.  Next summer will be the challenge and we may cash in.  

Bad start for us on Saturday.   Our defence is suspect and our strikers were asleep. 
Cup runs took their toll last season, as they would any small squad    

1977   I was there.  

Edited by flying fokker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, flying fokker said:

1977   I was there.  

Thanks for the update and welcome to our forum. Always good to read opposing fans' thoughts.

I'm waiting for a youngling to ask what happened in 1977!

What do you remember of that game especially after we equalised?

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Thanks for the update and welcome to our forum. Always good to read opposing fans' thoughts.

My father saying with thirty minutes to go, that it would be the last First Division match he would see in his life.

The first matches he saw at Ashton Gate were in the previous First division time when he went to games when visiting, on trips from Rhondda Valley, to see his uncle who lived on Coronation Road. 
He survived a few more years til 1987 with his last game against Bury in 4th Division in 1983.

I remember fans from both clubs and both genders hugging each other at the end of the match. How could we ever forget that evening?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, flying fokker said:

Afternoon,  

Cov supporter here. Been on a few times over the years.   

We’re up to 22k ST holders now.  Despite the lure of Sky TV.   

But one reason for high away support is a points based ticket priority scheme.  New ST holders don’t get a look in unless they travel long distances or it is a mid-week game/ early cup game like this. 

This season is a big one.  We have most players with at least 3 seasons left on their contracts.  I think some will move on, but not this window.  Next summer will be the challenge and we may cash in.  

Bad start for us on Saturday.   Our defence is suspect and our strikers were asleep. 
Cup runs took their toll last season, as they would any small squad    

1977   I was there.  

Whatever reason for it, 22k STH's is a great effort.

Be interesting how many changes both teams make. Just got my ticket , just want to have a look at the new guys and hoping to see another young lad make a debut.

1977 was one of my favourite away days, and was at the time probably only my 2nd or 3rd away game. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

But looking forward to Tuesday night, their fans seem more pessimistic than ours.

https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/bristol-city-fc-coventry-city-lc-match-thread-tuesday-13th-aug.161669/

Some of them, reasonable numbers don't seem too bothered either way based on that thread.

They have some good depth though, absolutely- Simms, Wright and Thomas-Asante as strikers for one!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Go for consistency, ie the majority of the XI from Saturday, or allow the League XI a rest and rotate to a Cup team? Or, as is likeliest, a mixture. What would people go for? I’d maybe go (4231):

Bajic: Tanner, Dickie, Naismith, Pring: Knight, TGH: Sykes, Wells, Bell: Mayulu. 

I think Bajic needs a chance. Didn’t he not play once last season? Tanner and Pring are sort of forced given McCrorie’s injury and a Tanner/Roberts combo seeming a bit defensive. Night off for Vyner and Bird. I felt Wells added impetus on Saturday. Mayulu given the start off the back of his debut goal.

Alternative ideas?

• Like 2

Dunno. He took the 3rd Round of the FA Cup seriously last season...but we had West Ham away so a strong line up was needed.

Not sure with tomorrow. A less prestigious competition and less salubrious opposition.

But it's at home, and a win is always important.

If I had to pick...I think it will be the same back 5, and then maybe Bell gets a game, Mayulu might start, TGH instead of Bird or Knight. I think we'll see that kind of first team rotation rather than the U18s getting a run out.

• Like 1

I would guess at maybe 2 or 3 changes and i think Williams will keep his place in midfield so that he can hopefully get Saturdays mistake off his back.

With Big Rob unavailable, we don't really have much room for change at centre back if we stick with a back 4. I'm not convinced that Naismith or Roberts are suited to playing as a centre back in a 4?

I would be interested in something like this:

Bajic

Tanner - Dickie - Naismith - Roberts

TGH - Bird

Stokes

Sykes - Armstrong - Bell

So 5 changes from the weekend. Would like to see Bajic have a run out to find out where he is and if he is suitable to be a capable deputy to Max. Stokes would also be nice to see in the Number 10 position to see what he can potentially offer us there. At the same time if there are less changes than this I would still be happy. Don’t think Liam will make many changes.

• Like 1

I'd go for 

O'Leary

Tanner Dickie Naismith Roberts

TGH Knight

Bell Wells Mehmeti

Mayulu

A few changes but still a strong side, a few academy players on the bench (Nelson, Stokes, Benarous?) as well for some experience

Edited by JBFC II
  • Like 1

Can’t see too many changes.

TGH maybe to get a start & some of those who came on as subs (Bell, Mayulu) maybe coming in.

Expect O’Leary to play, only one game in there’s no sense in changing keeper.

• Like 2

They've only played one game. If they need a rest at this point then we are in trouble!!  

Surely he'd be best served by playing his best 11 and trying to get some consistency, confidence and form going?

He could find himself under pressure relatively quickly, if early season results are indifferent. So I would think he'd want to try and make the most of every opportunity to get positive results on the board quickly. 

• Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, Burt_ said:

They've only played one game. If they need a rest at this point then we are in trouble!!  

Surely he'd be best served by playing his best 11 and trying to get some consistency, confidence and form going?

He could find himself under pressure relatively quickly, if early season results are indifferent. So I would think he'd want to try and make the most of every opportunity to get positive results on the board quickly. 

The injuries are already racking up a little relative to our squad size however the best medicine can be winning.

(McCrorie, Atkinson Yu, Cornick).

Conway is also Persona Non Grata.

Murphy although in the Youth is also injured.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I would deffo make changes. Too often last season we ran players into the ground because we were limited in squad size. I know it's only one game into the season, but compared to the league game against Millwall, this one is obviously not the priority. This season we have a deeper squad (albeit with a few injuries already), so let's use it to our benefit. I also feel that our injury record over the last couple of seasons has been associated with the fact the squad has been so small and we have pushed players to their limits (and beyond in some cases).

I would go with something like:

Bajic

Tanner Vyner Naismith Roberts

TGH Knight

Bell Stokes Nelson

Mayulu

Bench:

O'Leary, Dickie, Pring , Twine  (JK*), Bird,  Williams, Armstrong, Mehmeti, Sykes , Pecover?

*Just Kidding not Jason Knight

31 minutes ago, Burt_ said:

But we have a squad to make use of too. This is a good opportunity to give more game time to those just on the fringes. The likes of Bell, Roberts and TGH etc..Hopefully some minutes for Nelson and Stokes too. 

I’m sure Coventry will be approaching it in the same way. 

Edited by David Brent
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

I'd like to see Pecover get a run out

Pecover, Nelson, Morrison. A few young forwards with an outside shout of minutes. 

I see Morrison played today actually. But the other two you’d think. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If the game State allows perhaps see if we can find some gametime for Nelson and Stokes too.

Can't just be for the sake of it, I mean if e.g. 2 up with 20 mins left and indeed Nelson exploiting a side pushing to get back into it.

Yeah 2 youngsters who need match minutes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yeah 2 youngsters who need match minutes.

Score and control depending though. If 0-0 or chasing the game- although Nelson pace could be a real asset if chasing or countering really.

His pace and cross v Newport albeit it was only Newport and it was only a pre season friendly was very good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NDW4CITY said:

I would deffo make changes. Too often last season we ran players into the ground because we were limited in squad size. I know it's only one game into the season, but compared to the league game against Millwall, this one is obviously not the priority. This season we have a deeper squad (albeit with a few injuries already), so let's use it to our benefit. I also feel that our injury record over the last couple of seasons has been associated with the fact the squad has been so small and we have pushed players to their limits (and beyond in some cases).

I would go with something like:

Bajic

TGH Knight

Bell Stokes Nelson

Mayulu

Bench:

O'Leary, Dickie, Pring , Twine  (JK*), Bird,  Williams, Armstrong, Mehmeti, Sykes , Pecover?

*Just Kidding not Jason Knight

Not sure Bell-Stokes-Nelson looks strong enough.

But live and learn 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Can’t see too many changes.

TGH maybe to get a start & some of those who came on as subs (Bell, Mayulu) maybe coming in.

Expect O’Leary to play, only one game in there’s no sense in changing keeper.

Surely Roberts has to play Graham? Too good to be a perma-sub.

I’m always intrigued how a manager goes about these games.  Same level opponent, a match day squad from Saturday where all 9 subs will feel they should get minutes, especially early season.  Does their nose get put out of joint is someone from outside the group comes in and starts?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Not sure Bell-Stokes-Nelson looks strong enough.

But live and learn 

Fair comment - I missed Nakhi, so maybe he could slot into the 10, with Stokes coming on as sub at some point.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m always intrigued how a manager goes about these games.  Same level opponent, a match day squad from Saturday where all 9 subs will feel they should get minutes, especially early season.  Does their nose get put out of joint is someone from outside the group comes in and starts?

Surely they just need to be the best versions of themselves and accept it 😂

Would be great to see Benarous to get a game..

8 hours ago, mozo said:

Surely Roberts has to play Graham? Too good to be a perma-sub.

He didn’t feature much pre season because of a knock, so not sure how fit he is.

Would say there is a logic in giving him an hour if so, rests Pring too.

I'd probably go for:

Bajic

TGH Williams

Sykes    Stokes     Bell

Fally

Tanner, Vyner, Sykes and maybe Fally being the only players to then start against Millwall.
I expect Manning will go with a very similar team to Saturday maybe just changing Mehmeti to Bell, Armstrong to Fally and Pring to Roberts.

Edited by MythikRobins

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Any other members / ST holders having their tickets not come up with the discount? Fancy heading down later but can’t seem to get tickets cheaper online

As my season tickets in the Family area with my grandsons in the Family section. Which are closed tonite. It's a school nite so grandsons barred by their mum anyway. 

8 hours ago, petehinton said:

Any other members / ST holders having their tickets not come up with the discount? Fancy heading down later but can’t seem to get tickets cheaper online

Same here. Website says tickets rise by £2 on day of the match however…

Edited by t_b
Clarity

On 11/08/2024 at 17:51, Norn Iron said:

I was there and it is the most memorable match for me in history for our great club and for those of us that are old enough watching our team playing in the then 1st division. I hope many younger ones on OTIB get to experience similar in the next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1