IGNORED

Tinnion divulges info to Ian Gay

1 hour ago, BCFC K said:

“If” being the key word. 

Worth pointing out NDAs are part and parcel of the role.

Look at anyone who left under MA, I.e. LJ all would've been give NDAs.

The question is whether the CEO themselves is under NDA and how that's retrospectively applied to a Director when said CEO role is all but technically abolished.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Worth pointing out NDAs are part and parcel of the role.

Look at anyone who left under MA, I.e. LJ all would've been give NDAs.

The question is whether the CEO themselves is under NDA and how that's retrospectively applied to a Director when said CEO role is all but technically abolished.

This is the Salient Point really.

I would assume that it is De Rigueur to sign an NDA in such a key role, surely? Which means any leaks even in post could fall foul.

Surely Gavin Marshall and CEO would be the best fit though?

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Edit - and I also think Gould was then able to trust us. The fact he shared that info and then it wasn’t suddenly appearing on the forum the next day established a trust between us. He knew we weren’t loud mouths looking for attention. 

I often wondered whether it was a little test he had for us?  I don’t think it was, because you’d already had a few meetings before I came onboard.  But I did wonder.

edit: don’t think it’s Gould’s style either having met him a couple of times after that initial meeting.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. 
No not on this one mate. 
Podcasters only. 
Which is fair. 

Some folks have questioned why they are “the chosen ones”. I say it’s absolutely fair. These guys are the ones who take time out of their own lives to volunteer to run podcasts and bring content to the rest of us. Fair play to them I say. 

As for some other comments regarding Gould and whether sharing of info from Tinnion is right or wrong. Well, Gould was the same with me. 
When we were looking at the fan scouting help, I attended a number of zoom calls with Gould and face to face meeting too at the training ground. 
On each occasion we spoke to Gould we were privy to club information. 

Couple of examples :

We were given the detailed plan/philosophy of the “identity” that was to be instilled. This wasn’t just “we want to play a 4231 high press”, it was down to the finest details such as the number of seconds we want to gain ball recovery, the number of sprints expected of players etc. It was very detailed stuff. 
Likewise, in a face to face meet, Gould shared with us the specific transfer targets we were after. It was a list of 3 players in each position (so that’s 36 names on 1 sheet). This didn’t just list the name but also the potential fee and salary we’d be willing to pay. 

This is no different really to what Tinnion has (allegedly) done with Gay. 

The difference might be how the information is then treated. I didn’t share any of that information online with anyone. Only the 4 of us in that room with Gould know that information. 
We understood that it’s pretty top secret stuff and not be be blasted out to everyone on social media. 

So again, I don’t have any issue with chats between Tinnion and Gay, but it’s what’s then agreed between the 2 of them in terms of what can or can’t be public information. 

Edit - and I also think Gould was then able to trust us. The fact he shared that info and then it wasn’t suddenly appearing on the forum the next day established a trust between us. He knew we weren’t loud mouths looking for attention. 

This was a mutually beneficial relationship however, or it sounds like it.

Club got Scouting Expertise from yourselves and others to help them Requirements and improving all of this. You were all privvy to Inside info and didn't blurt it on Social Media.

I don't see what the Club or Tinnion get out of the Ian stuff e.g. 

The Pods are great, so long as the Messengers retain Independence.

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. 
No not on this one mate. 
Podcasters only. 
Which is fair. 

Some folks have questioned why they are “the chosen ones”. I say it’s absolutely fair. These guys are the ones who take time out of their own lives to volunteer to run podcasts and bring content to the rest of us. Fair play to them I say. 

As for some other comments regarding Gould and whether sharing of info from Tinnion is right or wrong. Well, Gould was the same with me. 
When we were looking at the fan scouting help, I attended a number of zoom calls with Gould and face to face meeting too at the training ground. 
On each occasion we spoke to Gould we were privy to club information. 

Couple of examples :

We were given the detailed plan/philosophy of the “identity” that was to be instilled. This wasn’t just “we want to play a 4231 high press”, it was down to the finest details such as the number of seconds we want to gain ball recovery, the number of sprints expected of players etc. It was very detailed stuff. 
Likewise, in a face to face meet, Gould shared with us the specific transfer targets we were after. It was a list of 3 players in each position (so that’s 36 names on 1 sheet). This didn’t just list the name but also the potential fee and salary we’d be willing to pay. 

The difference might be how the information is then treated. I didn’t share any of that information online with anyone. Only the 4 of us in that room with Gould know that information. 
We understood that it’s pretty top secret stuff and not be be blasted out to everyone on social media. 

So again, I don’t have any issue with chats between Tinnion and Gay, but it’s what’s then agreed between the 2 of them in terms of what can or can’t be public information. 

The difference is tinnion mate. He could offer to buy everyone in AG a pint every home came and some ******* would complain about the glass 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

The difference is tinnion mate. He could offer to buy everyone in AG a pint every home came and some ******* would complain about the glass 

PS if you read then thread from when he was appointed there was almost universal goodwill.

To try and paint it as some kind of anti Tinnion movement is ridiculous. He has put himself in that position through certain actions and proclamations.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I'd say it is very different to be honest Harry.

What you were shown were hypotheticals. Whereas if the rumours are true then what Tinnion is divulging is actual contract information.

Further, even it GDPR was a consideration with your information I think it'd be easily batted away on the basis that that information was relevant to the service you were providing.

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This was a mutually beneficial relationship however, or it sounds like it.

Club got Scouting Expertise from yourselves and others to help them Requirements and improving all of this. You were all privvy to Inside info and didn't blurt it on Social Media.

I don't see what the Club or Tinnion get out of the Ian stuff e.g. 

The Pods are great, so long as the Messengers retain Independence.

I think I'm with you on this in some ways. 

We have seen Ian Gay converted into a unofficial mouth piece for the club after being a critic. 

I would hope the meeting with the podcasters was done in an attempt to build relations and improve communication.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think I'm with you on this in some ways. 

We have seen Ian Gay converted into a unofficial mouth piece for the club after being a critic. 

I would hope the meeting with the podcasters was done in an attempt to build relations and improve communication.  

i think it helps Pops,most importantly when you have the likes of Pete Hinton there telling us how it was, no reason to doubt, information for us from them, as opposed to official business being leaked and spouted by one to boost ones ego.

• Like 2

On 06/08/2024 at 22:34, Port Said Red said:

I am sorry, I am not normally someone would ask this, but this is so important.....

How do you know this? and How do you or anyone else know what was discussed in a 1-1 meeting?

If this bloke did meet Tinnion then it’s obvious they would talked about football at some point. I should imagine that’s only natural. 

What’s interesting is how peoples minds and imagination work. If I was Tinnon I’d be getting a bit paranoid and certainly wouldn’t invite anyone in my office for a cup of coffee from now on  

I wonder what he’ll be accused of next ? 

6 minutes ago, marksy said:

If this bloke did meet Tinnion then it’s obvious they would talked about football at some point. I should imagine that’s only natural. 

What’s interesting is how peoples minds and imagination work. If I was Tinnon I’d be getting a bit paranoid and certainly wouldn’t invite anyone in my office for a cup of coffee from now on  

I wonder what he’ll be accused of next ? 

My concern at the time of this post  was the idea that they discussed players contracts, that would be really shocking if true. Subsequently there have been posts on here that clarify all that went on I convinced that this was an exaggeration of the events of the day.

If Tinnion is giving tit-bits to Ian Gay it’s the most unprofessional thing I’ve ever heard coming out the football club!!!

Ofcourse it may be a case that the hierarchy want this to happen but I honestly think it’s all bullshit.

Every bit of goings on at the club should be kept under wraps until anything is solid/true then release to the fans 

Mt thoughts only 

• Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

If Tinnion is giving tit-bits to Ian Gay it’s the most unprofessional thing I’ve ever heard coming out the football club!!!

Ofcourse it may be a case that the hierarchy want this to happen but I honestly think it’s all bullshit.

Every bit of goings on at the club should be kept under wraps until anything is solid/true then release to the fans 

Mt thoughts only 

Is it massively different from the way it used to work with Evening Post back on the day? Social Media has become a news source for many, the main difference here is that the outlet is an amateur rather than a professional journalist. 

It's all a game really, why either of those things are necessary when the club have their own website, X account or App seems old fashioned. Why not just create their own gossip page and have done with it? :)

Genuine question.....Does anybody know what Ian Gay's credentials are? Ex-pro? Semi-pro? Local ex footballer? FA badges? Managerial experience?

Certainly, in local Bristol football circles I have never heard of the bloke?!

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, BCFC K said:

So what we have now seen is that the previous CEO was happy to share private information as well. You don’t seem so keen to call it out 🤔

I had forgotten about that tbh until Harry mentioned it.

This seems to have been mutually beneficial though and not blurted out on Twitter or Forums. The Club gained from it..with some Scouting Expertise and Input, it depends exactly what was shared too- to help with Scouting you need key data to help with Player Profile ID, Identification etc.

No the previous CEO was Alexander btw. I suppose Marshall is the closest we have to a CEO at present?

1 hour ago, BCFC K said:

So what we have now seen is that the previous CEO was happy to share private information as well. You don’t seem so keen to call it out 🤔

The fundamental difference is that the people that Gould spoke to were trustworthy and didn't spout it all over social media at the earliest opportunity in an effort to boost their following/self importance. 

I know this because despite being in fairly consistent private conversation with one of those in attendance (to the point I would consider them a friend) I have not had any of these situations boasted about to me. 

I'd suggest that the initial "revelation" was the same all subsequent ones are different. 

As others have said, it doesn't really matter. It's more the perception. And anyone who's had any experience with Gay will know, he's prone to over exaggeration and to adding his own spin to things. So whilst it's obvious that he has a direct line into the top of the football club you can't actually believe anything he says fully thus diminishing the point of the relationship. 

Edit: Just realised it's Chris coming back again; so a pointless rebuttal. 

Edited by BobBobBobbin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It is beneficial because Harry and others and @Harry can correct if wrong, were assisting the Club with Scouting?

Correct. We were. But to be honest we didn’t really need to know the transfer value and salaries of the targets. 
We were more there to filter names into the system. 
As Fevs said earlier, I think it was more of a ‘trust’ test, to see if the names on the list were flying around online the next day. 
We did wonder if it was even a false list at the time, but when we then heard us actively interested in the names and even signed 3 of the them that summer, it was clear to us that it was a real list. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BCFC K said:

I’m asking how sharing 30+ targets with this said group who wanted to help is “mutually beneficial”? They are already targets. 

Profile and type of player the club are looking at. I.e don't waste your time looking at A qualities when we need B.

Don't waste time scouting theses 36 as they're already on our list.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Correct. We were. But to be honest we didn’t really need to know the transfer value and salaries of the targets. 
As Fevs said earlier, I think it was more of a ‘trust’ test, to see if the names on the list were flying around online the next day. 
We did wonder if it was even a false list at the time, but when we then heard us actively interested in the names and even signed 3 of the them that summer, it was clear to us that it was a real list. 

Thanks.

I suppose there is a case for wages and possible fee as even if you have a great target, if they don't align with the permitted be it FFP, Owner or both Wage or Fee Budget it is in a sense pointless. Within reason it needs to tick both Finance and Football.

E.g. (making this up now)

"We've found these players in a PL youth system or Overseas but they will likely cost £5m and are on average of £25k per week".

Not the best example by me but you see where I'm going with it.

Plus as you say discretion was exercised really well, perhaps was a test.

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Genuine question.....Does anybody know what Ian Gay's credentials are? Ex-pro? Semi-pro? Local ex footballer? FA badges? Managerial experience?

Certainly, in local Bristol football circles I have never heard of the bloke?!

Maintenance engineer in the Air Force I believe.  Might’ve played local football, not that he’s ever really mentioned playing at all.  Told me he’d done “some” coaching badges once.

Whenever we’ve talked pre or post pod outside of the recording he’s never really talked about playing himself. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

and…a few on that list were names you (and the others) had recommended / given them before I was involved.

FWIW and I’m sure you won’t mind me saying that when you were involved for a short while with another club you were in the process of signing legal documents with them.  Not just for NDA purposes but other reasons too.

The other thing was you and the group were providing a service / filling a gap in the club’s capability - namely scouting, because the club’s capability in that area is / was woefully lacking.

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

What does it say Mr P? (I don't go on X)

Sheridan Robins, City's new Head of Communications & lately of Radio Bristol Sport, invited all the City Podcasters to the HPC for an informal meeting with Liam Manning. I can remember things like Fans Forums & the SC&T Meetings but this seemed very different. The club itself has obviously had a hard look at the entire subject of Fan communication & whilst some new initiatives are driven by the EFL & are mandatory, City appear to go above & beyond to improve things in this respect which I applaud. I've often been accused of being over critical even cynical of the club however I like to think I'm fair minded enough to say when the club are getting things right & largely, at the moment, they are. In the final analysis, it's what happens on the pitch for the first team that will win the day, bring success or not but Liam talked later about having the key processess in place to underpin that success & Sheridan confirmed that everyone at City followed those & were bought in. 3 Peaps, Forever Bristol City & OSIB were there & we all got the chance to talk to Tom Rawcliffe, Sheridan & Liam. It was nice to meet the other Podcasters albeit I already knew Matt & Patch plus Dave obviously I was also lucky enough to meet Jay & Brian Tinnion-Jay being a dab hand with the video camera & give him some feedback on our recent FBC interview with Dave & I. That's had 1,500+ views on You Tube alone plus a similar number across the usual platforms Apple, Spotify, Podbean etc.Brian had been analysing our recent game v Willem & it's interesting to briefly see some of the "tools" the club use to assess what's required. I'm sure the gents in analysis & recruitment have far more sophisticated equipment but that's a story for another day. I also "bumped into," almost literally, Sinclair Armstrong. I don't know who writes these internet Bio's but if he's 5'10 they must have meant across because he's 6'1" & looks even bigger when you're next to him & shake hands.According to LM he's also one of the quickest at the club with Fally said to be deceptively fast. City legend, Scott Murray stopped for a chat as did Paul Metheringham from The Academy.Everyone I met had an air of positivity & unless they're brilliant actors, seemed happy. After working in the Construction & Allied Industries for so long, I get an instinctive feel when I walk onto a site or into an office building about the people......or at least the ones I metThe Craic seemed good, if you like. Onto Liam Manning & the first thing that struck me is that he's bristling with enthusiasm & wants to succeed-Whether that's with City or someone else only time will tell but if hard work has anything to do with it, he should & I wish him luck. As one of the attendees said afterwards "That bloke's going to manage in the Prem one day. I just hope it's with us" This was probably the first time most of us had met him but the conversation was an easy one & went on for well over an http://hour.It would have lasted longer if he didn't have other "pressing matters" to deal with a few days before they leave the HPC to travel to Hull on Friday.He clearly enjoys talking about football & has taken good "habits" from other sports, such as Rugby. So firstly, no stunning revelations to give you. We know Tommy's probably leaving to go to Boro or Hull & that City are trying to sign Scott Twine. As of Tuesday there were no new developments & I don't expect any this week. People have asked me about "getting business done early" & it largely has been with the winter signings of Murphy & Stokes with at least one eye on the future & Max Bird who's very much a player for now.Hopefully we a lot of him in CM with his old freind from Derby, Jason Knight although he can also play 10. Add in Hirakawa, Armstrong & Malulu & that's six players that weren't available to LM last season. If we can get the two more or Twine/No 10 at least then he's got all the tools to get the job done with my usual caveat about a fit & healthy squad. TBF, Eight is 73% of a team. So onto Liam himself. It was clear to me that he's very confident in his own ability & that of others around him. This is his team & his club now.He's prepared to challenge the status quo & the norms. He certainly doesn't sound or look to be a "Yes" man or someone who says different things to different people to suit the occassion & we've all met plenty of those. However, there's a steely determination & decisivness about him so forget about the soundbites after games. In this longer format he was able to articulate what he had changed & how he sees the club improving & progressing. He sounded very loyal & commited to his players-all of them. He confirmed there was no falling out with Tommy & his decision was purely a "business one" Other Managers have done that kind of thing at City-GJ with Bradley Orr & Basso & NP with Bakinson & Massengo-Only this week Chelsea did it with England International Conor Gallagher. Now whether that's the right decision, it's only his to make & time, as always, will tell. Clearly, for whatever reason, Tommy doesn't want to sign a new contract & the club simply can't afford to let him walk in a years time for next to nothing. He works 7am-7pm when there isn't a game-when he obviously works even longer for evening games. His commitment has seen him relocate his family to Bristol to establish better links with the local community-Not all Managers do that so I hope that works out for him. That isn't restricted to Mon-Fri either.He expects others to do the same. If you want a quiet time at work, City ain't the place to be. Like all modern Coaches, he's data driven & embraces analytics. Coaching/Management used to be something you did after you finished playing. You only have to look at the new BHA Coach, 31yr old Fabian Hurzeler to see that's no longer the case across the game. Coaching is now something for which you need not just the qualifications but the aptitude & man management skills-It's a career in itself aside from playing. Football is littered with former players who couldn't make the transition, despite some being given numerous opportunities. As in any business, there are key behaviours & processess that underpin the desired direction of travel-For example, one of those is simply Hard Work. I get the impression that anyone without that work ethic, players that really want to do it, won't be signed or won't be around long if they're already here. City very much "sell" the club & the City to potential signings.The HPC is a selling point in itself Liam confirmed some injury news that Bristol Live/Radio Bristol had carried with Rob Atkinson & Ayman available soon with the club obviously being careful after their long term absence-No rushing http://back.As I write Bristol Live has reported that Ross McCrorie has picked up a Hamstring injury so I hope this isn't a case of Deja Vu Adam Murphy out for "a couple of months" with a pulled quad & Yu Hirakawa "I don’t see it being a long, long one. I’m scared to commit to numbers but we’ll have a lot more information after today." I read that as at least four/five weeks especially as he may be having scans as I write.Everyone knows our track record with players who have scans It's not the best news however, we do have decent cover in the wide areas, defence & central midfield. He emphasised the strength of character of players like new Captain, Jason Knight. That's a lot of responsibility for a 23yr old, one season at the club but Knight sounds & seems a model pro to me so good luck to him. Tom Rawcliffe COO & CFO for Bristol City, gave us his views on where we are on P&S Regs with Points Deductions again in the news & clubs selling home grown talent wherever possible to conform. City haven't had to do that & Tom confirmed the club was now in a good place financially.That being said I wouldn't expect a return to the largesse of our days under MA/LJ. He confirmed the widely reported investment from SL which thankfully was half of what he has needed to put in over the last few seasons. Tom will be at the heart of things like payment terms & the payment structure of transfers so he'll be the budget holder.I'm sure there will be "lively debates" between him Liam, Brian Tinnion & John Lansdown about that It was a good day & hopefully there will be some more informal occassions like this & interviews & Podcasts with members of the City Management team in the future. This is obviously down to the club making people available & we're game anytime.

Apologies about formatting.

• Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

“I’ve often been accused of being over critical of the club”

In much the same way as I’ve often been accused of having a three foot penis.

In fairness in the past he was. He posted on here I believe and he was both critical and offered critique.

3 hours ago, CTIDhc said:

In fairness that's a very good article with some useful insights

https://x.com/RealBristolBoy/article/1821490806915580001/media/1821480580438970369 

It is a very good article, imho,  and accurate too. 

I was there for the hour and twenty minutes we had with Manning and an hour+ with Rawcliffe.

Manning impressed me and whilst his words mean nothing if they don't translate to results on the pitch he did not deliver it in the bluffing, jargon filled style of LJ - anyone remember Bomb Alley and the PowerPoint presentation!

It was me that said, after Liam had left, "...we have a Premier League manager here, I only hope he gets there with us"! which brought a raised eyebrow & a wry smile from Tom Rawcliffe!!

Back to Mr. Gay, the vitriol he attracts from some has been getting a bit silly IMHO. Having known him for 20 years his manner is not appealing to all; it's not what he says but how he says it. I think he lacks self awareness sometimes. By way of example, before Liam came into the meeting, Ian [a late arrival himself] entered the room and sat at the head of the table - I immediately suggested he vacate that for Liam & take one of the vacant side chairs. He actually moved to do so but before he had a chance Liam entered and took the first seat available which happened to be adjacent to Ian! 

@Corsham Alf - who they I ask? What an inflammatory post from someone who wasn't in that pre-meeting that Ian had. 

Rest assured, if Ian tries to defend the indefensible once the on pitch action gets underway he will be called out by me and our other contributors as we will maintain our independent stance even if he is being seen as "in the tent"!!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Maintenance engineer in the Air Force I believe.  Might’ve played local football, not that he’s ever really mentioned playing at all.  Told me he’d done “some” coaching badges once.

Whenever we’ve talked pre or post pod outside of the recording he’s never really talked about playing himself. 

and…a few on that list were names you (and the others) had recommended / given them before I was involved.

FWIW and I’m sure you won’t mind me saying that when you were involved for a short while with another club you were in the process of signing legal documents with them.  Not just for NDA purposes but other reasons too.

The other thing was you and the group were providing a service / filling a gap in the club’s capability - namely scouting, because the club’s capability in that area is / was woefully lacking.

Thanks Dave.

I always think it is useful to have played or coached at some level to get a wider perspective.

One thing I will say is that he has a keen interest in what is happening at all levels of the club.

I watched the podcast he did with David and Tinnion today. I'm definitely all for this type of open comms and I think it is beneficial for both the club and the fan base.

• Like 2

Bit of a tangent to this thread but I was looking at a post on Twitter following the loan of TGH and someone had linked in a Twitter user saying something along the lines of "so TGH is definitely not going then!"

I followed the link to in the post and it was Ian Gay. 

Bizarrely though, what I discovered is that Ian Gay has blocked me on Twitter. This is really strange. I have about 40 followers. I don't know the guy. I've never commented on any of his posts. I follow some of the posters on here, Fevs, Ole, Exiled Robin, OSIB and a few others. I've never been a controversial poster. 

It's very strange 

From the sounds of some of the posters on here's views of the man, it seems like I'm not missing anything when it comes to what he posts. It just seems really odd that a no-mark like me would be blocked by him.

Oh well, how sad nevermind.

On 08/08/2024 at 11:20, Davefevs said:

That would be a bit personal

On 08/08/2024 at 12:33, BobBobBobbin said:

Sheridan Robins, City's new Head of Communications & lately of Radio Bristol Sport, invited all the City Podcasters to the HPC for an informal meeting with Liam Manning. I can remember things like Fans Forums & the SC&T Meetings but this seemed very different. The club itself has obviously had a hard look at the entire subject of Fan communication & whilst some new initiatives are driven by the EFL & are mandatory, City appear to go above & beyond to improve things in this respect which I applaud. I've often been accused of being over critical even cynical of the club however I like to think I'm fair minded enough to say when the club are getting things right & largely, at the moment, they are. In the final analysis, it's what happens on the pitch for the first team that will win the day, bring success or not but Liam talked later about having the key processess in place to underpin that success & Sheridan confirmed that everyone at City followed those & were bought in. 3 Peaps, Forever Bristol City & OSIB were there & we all got the chance to talk to Tom Rawcliffe, Sheridan & Liam. It was nice to meet the other Podcasters albeit I already knew Matt & Patch plus Dave obviously I was also lucky enough to meet Jay & Brian Tinnion-Jay being a dab hand with the video camera & give him some feedback on our recent FBC interview with Dave & I. That's had 1,500+ views on You Tube alone plus a similar number across the usual platforms Apple, Spotify, Podbean etc.Brian had been analysing our recent game v Willem & it's interesting to briefly see some of the "tools" the club use to assess what's required. I'm sure the gents in analysis & recruitment have far more sophisticated equipment but that's a story for another day. I also "bumped into," almost literally, Sinclair Armstrong. I don't know who writes these internet Bio's but if he's 5'10 they must have meant across because he's 6'1" & looks even bigger when you're next to him & shake hands.According to LM he's also one of the quickest at the club with Fally said to be deceptively fast. City legend, Scott Murray stopped for a chat as did Paul Metheringham from The Academy.Everyone I met had an air of positivity & unless they're brilliant actors, seemed happy. After working in the Construction & Allied Industries for so long, I get an instinctive feel when I walk onto a site or into an office building about the people......or at least the ones I metThe Craic seemed good, if you like. Onto Liam Manning & the first thing that struck me is that he's bristling with enthusiasm & wants to succeed-Whether that's with City or someone else only time will tell but if hard work has anything to do with it, he should & I wish him luck. As one of the attendees said afterwards "That bloke's going to manage in the Prem one day. I just hope it's with us" This was probably the first time most of us had met him but the conversation was an easy one & went on for well over an http://hour.It would have lasted longer if he didn't have other "pressing matters" to deal with a few days before they leave the HPC to travel to Hull on Friday.He clearly enjoys talking about football & has taken good "habits" from other sports, such as Rugby. So firstly, no stunning revelations to give you. We know Tommy's probably leaving to go to Boro or Hull & that City are trying to sign Scott Twine. As of Tuesday there were no new developments & I don't expect any this week. People have asked me about "getting business done early" & it largely has been with the winter signings of Murphy & Stokes with at least one eye on the future & Max Bird who's very much a player for now.Hopefully we a lot of him in CM with his old freind from Derby, Jason Knight although he can also play 10. Add in Hirakawa, Armstrong & Malulu & that's six players that weren't available to LM last season. If we can get the two more or Twine/No 10 at least then he's got all the tools to get the job done with my usual caveat about a fit & healthy squad. TBF, Eight is 73% of a team. So onto Liam himself. It was clear to me that he's very confident in his own ability & that of others around him. This is his team & his club now.He's prepared to challenge the status quo & the norms. He certainly doesn't sound or look to be a "Yes" man or someone who says different things to different people to suit the occassion & we've all met plenty of those. However, there's a steely determination & decisivness about him so forget about the soundbites after games. In this longer format he was able to articulate what he had changed & how he sees the club improving & progressing. He sounded very loyal & commited to his players-all of them. He confirmed there was no falling out with Tommy & his decision was purely a "business one" Other Managers have done that kind of thing at City-GJ with Bradley Orr & Basso & NP with Bakinson & Massengo-Only this week Chelsea did it with England International Conor Gallagher. Now whether that's the right decision, it's only his to make & time, as always, will tell. Clearly, for whatever reason, Tommy doesn't want to sign a new contract & the club simply can't afford to let him walk in a years time for next to nothing. He works 7am-7pm when there isn't a game-when he obviously works even longer for evening games. His commitment has seen him relocate his family to Bristol to establish better links with the local community-Not all Managers do that so I hope that works out for him. That isn't restricted to Mon-Fri either.He expects others to do the same. If you want a quiet time at work, City ain't the place to be. Like all modern Coaches, he's data driven & embraces analytics. Coaching/Management used to be something you did after you finished playing. You only have to look at the new BHA Coach, 31yr old Fabian Hurzeler to see that's no longer the case across the game. Coaching is now something for which you need not just the qualifications but the aptitude & man management skills-It's a career in itself aside from playing. Football is littered with former players who couldn't make the transition, despite some being given numerous opportunities. As in any business, there are key behaviours & processess that underpin the desired direction of travel-For example, one of those is simply Hard Work. I get the impression that anyone without that work ethic, players that really want to do it, won't be signed or won't be around long if they're already here. City very much "sell" the club & the City to potential signings.The HPC is a selling point in itself Liam confirmed some injury news that Bristol Live/Radio Bristol had carried with Rob Atkinson & Ayman available soon with the club obviously being careful after their long term absence-No rushing http://back.As I write Bristol Live has reported that Ross McCrorie has picked up a Hamstring injury so I hope this isn't a case of Deja Vu Adam Murphy out for "a couple of months" with a pulled quad & Yu Hirakawa "I don’t see it being a long, long one. I’m scared to commit to numbers but we’ll have a lot more information after today." I read that as at least four/five weeks especially as he may be having scans as I write.Everyone knows our track record with players who have scans It's not the best news however, we do have decent cover in the wide areas, defence & central midfield. He emphasised the strength of character of players like new Captain, Jason Knight. That's a lot of responsibility for a 23yr old, one season at the club but Knight sounds & seems a model pro to me so good luck to him. Tom Rawcliffe COO & CFO for Bristol City, gave us his views on where we are on P&S Regs with Points Deductions again in the news & clubs selling home grown talent wherever possible to conform. City haven't had to do that & Tom confirmed the club was now in a good place financially.That being said I wouldn't expect a return to the largesse of our days under MA/LJ. He confirmed the widely reported investment from SL which thankfully was half of what he has needed to put in over the last few seasons. Tom will be at the heart of things like payment terms & the payment structure of transfers so he'll be the budget holder.I'm sure there will be "lively debates" between him Liam, Brian Tinnion & John Lansdown about that It was a good day & hopefully there will be some more informal occassions like this & interviews & Podcasts with members of the City Management team in the future. This is obviously down to the club making people available & we're game anytime.

Reminds me of the cover of XTC's Go 2 album.

On 08/08/2024 at 12:33, BobBobBobbin said:

Unreadable.

• Admin
7 hours ago, kingswood red said:

Unreadable.

Sheridan Robins, City's new Head of Communications & lately of Radio Bristol Sport, invited all the City Podcasters to the HPC for an informal meeting with Liam Manning. I can remember things like Fans Forums & the SC&T Meetings but this seemed very different.

The club itself has obviously had a hard look at the entire subject of Fan communication & whilst some new initiatives are driven by the EFL & are mandatory, City appear to go above & beyond to improve things in this respect which I applaud.

I've often been accused of being over critical even cynical of the club however I like to think I'm fair minded enough to say when the club are getting things right & largely, at the moment, they are.

In the final analysis, it's what happens on the pitch for the first team that will win the day, bring success or not but Liam talked later about having the key processess in place to underpin that success & Sheridan confirmed that everyone at City followed those & were bought in.

3 Peaps, Forever Bristol City & OSIB were there & we all got the chance to talk to Tom Rawcliffe, Sheridan & Liam. It was nice to meet the other Podcasters albeit I already knew Matt & Patch plus Dave obviously😀

I was also lucky enough to meet Jay & Brian Tinnion-Jay being a dab hand with the video camera & give him some feedback on our recent FBC interview with Dave & I.

That's had 1,500+ views on You Tube alone plus a similar number across the usual platforms Apple, Spotify, Podbean etc.Brian had been analysing our recent game v Willem & it's interesting to briefly see some of the "tools" the club use to assess what's required. I'm sure the gents in analysis & recruitment have far more sophisticated equipment but that's a story for another day.

I also "bumped into," almost literally, Sinclair Armstrong. I don't know who writes these internet Bio's but if he's 5'10 they must have meant across because he's 6'1" & looks even bigger when you're next to him & shake hands.😳According to LM he's also one of the quickest at the club with Fally said to be deceptively fast.

City legend, Scott Murray stopped for a chat as did Paul Metheringham from The Academy.Everyone I met had an air of positivity & unless they're brilliant actors, seemed happy. After working in the Construction & Allied Industries for so long, I get an instinctive feel when I walk onto a site or into an office building about the people......or at least the ones I met😀The Craic seemed good, if you like.

Onto Liam Manning & the first thing that struck me is that he's bristling with enthusiasm & wants to succeed-Whether that's with City or someone else only time will tell but if hard work has anything to do with it, he should & I wish him luck.

As one of the attendees said afterwards "That bloke's going to manage in the Prem one day. I just hope it's with us"

This was probably the first time most of us had met him but the conversation was an easy one & went on for well over an hour.It would have lasted longer if he didn't have other "pressing matters" to deal with a few days before they leave the HPC to travel to Hull on Friday.He clearly enjoys talking about football & has taken good "habits" from other sports, such as Rugby.

So firstly, no stunning revelations to give you. We know Tommy's probably leaving to go to Boro or Hull & that City are trying to sign Scott Twine. As of Tuesday there were no new developments & I don't expect any this week.

People have asked me about "getting business done early" & it largely has been with the winter signings of Murphy & Stokes with at least one eye on the future & Max Bird who's very much a player for now.Hopefully we a lot of him in CM with his old freind from Derby, Jason Knight although he can also play 10.

Add in Hirakawa, Armstrong & Malulu & that's six players that weren't available to LM last season. If we can get the two more or Twine/No 10 at least then he's got all the tools to get the job done with my usual caveat about a fit & healthy squad. TBF, Eight is 73% of a team.

So onto Liam himself. It was clear to me that he's very confident in his own ability & that of others around him. This is his team & his club now.He's prepared to challenge the status quo & the norms. He certainly doesn't sound or look to be a "Yes" man or someone who says different things to different people to suit the occassion & we've all met plenty of those.

However, there's a steely determination & decisivness about him so forget about the soundbites after games. In this longer format he was able to articulate what he had changed & how he sees the club improving & progressing. He sounded very loyal & commited to his players-all of them.

He confirmed there was no falling out with Tommy & his decision was purely a "business one" Other Managers have done that kind of thing at City-GJ with Bradley Orr & Basso & NP with Bakinson & Massengo-Only this week Chelsea did it with England International Conor Gallagher. Now whether that's the right decision, it's only his to make & time, as always, will tell. Clearly, for whatever reason, Tommy doesn't want to sign a new contract & the club simply can't afford to let him walk in a years time for next to nothing. 

He works 7am-7pm when there isn't a game-when he obviously works even longer for evening games. His commitment has seen him relocate his family to Bristol to establish better links with the local community-Not all Managers do that so I hope that works out for him.

That isn't restricted to Mon-Fri either.He expects others to do the same. If you want a quiet time at work, City ain't the place to be.

Like all modern Coaches, he's data driven & embraces analytics. Coaching/Management used to be something you did after you finished playing. You only have to look at the new BHA Coach, 31yr old Fabian Hurzeler to see that's no longer the case across the game. 

Coaching is now something for which you need not just the qualifications but the aptitude & man management skills-It's a career in itself aside from playing. Football is littered with former players who couldn't make the transition, despite some being given numerous opportunities.

As in any business, there are key behaviours & processess that underpin the desired direction of travel-For example, one of those is simply Hard Work. I get the impression that anyone without that work ethic, players that really want to do it, won't be signed or won't be around long if they're already here.

City very much "sell" the club & the City to potential signings.The HPC is a selling point in itself

Liam confirmed some injury news that Bristol Live/Radio Bristol had carried with Rob Atkinson & Ayman available soon with the club obviously being careful after their long term absence-No rushing back.As I write Bristol Live has reported that Ross McCrorie has picked up a Hamstring injury so I hope this isn't a case of Deja Vu🤞🤞🤞

Adam Murphy out for "a couple of months" with a pulled quad & Yu Hirakawa "I don’t see it being a long, long one. I’m scared to commit to numbers but we’ll have a lot more information after today." I read that as at least four/five weeks especially as he may be having scans as I write.Everyone knows our track record with players who have scans🥺

It's not the best news however, we do have decent cover in the wide areas, defence & central midfield.

He emphasised the strength of character of players like new Captain, Jason Knight. That's a lot of responsibility for a 23yr old, one season at the club but Knight sounds & seems a model pro to me so good luck to him. 

Tom Rawcliffe COO & CFO for Bristol City, gave us his views on where we are on P&S Regs with Points Deductions again in the news & clubs selling home grown talent wherever possible to conform. City haven't had to do that & Tom confirmed the club was now in a good place financially.That being said I wouldn't expect a return to the largesse of our days under MA/LJ.

He confirmed the widely reported investment from SL which thankfully was half of what he has needed to put in over the last few seasons.

Tom will be at the heart of things like payment terms & the payment structure of transfers so he'll be the budget holder.I'm sure there will be "lively debates" between him Liam, Brian Tinnion & John Lansdown about that😇

It was a good day & hopefully there will be some more informal occassions like this & interviews & Podcasts with members of the City Management team in the future. This is obviously down to the club making people available & we're game anytime.👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4