IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Explaining the firing.

Prinny

Only issue for me is the push for the premier league. The board have made their decision, and we have moved on from Pearson to Manning. If Manning fails to deliver a top 6 finish the gamble will have failed. The club is not a plaything for Steve and Jon, I don’t really care if they are ‘enjoying’ it. It is about success on the pitch. They took a huge gamble firing a manager (and CEO) who had done all this before, and replacing them with a novice. If it works they will be heroes, but if it fails they should do the honourable thing and go. It’s a big season for them. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

It could be some of the dastardly theories or it could he more mundane.

"Ooh, young managers who like Possession are fashionable.

"Let's get one of them- that should push us on".

That isn't a reflection on the hire, but the hierarchy.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I have learnt the same career lessons as you pal. Work smart, not hard and success is a good work / life balance 👍🏻

Of course, the ideal from an employers viewpoint is an employee who is smart, and also works hard. 

We all know Liam works hard. For me at least, the jury is still out on whether he works smart.  

I hope for both. The next 6 months will determine whether he can deliver on both counts. If he can, the future is bright. 

**** me. 

I've heard it all now. 

A guy getting the sack for delegating and not being out on the training pitch when he can't even walk without crutches. 

Snakes. The ****ing lot of 'em.

• Flames 7

3 hours ago, Capman said:

Only issue for me is the push for the premier league. The board have made their decision, and we have moved on from Pearson to Manning. If Manning fails to deliver a top 6 finish the gamble will have failed. The club is not a plaything for Steve and Jon, I don’t really care if they are ‘enjoying’ it. It is about success on the pitch. They took a huge gamble firing a manager (and CEO) who had done all this before, and replacing them with a novice. If it works they will be heroes, but if it fails they should do the honourable thing and go. It’s a big season for them. 

But they're doing the same things they normally do, procrastinate, quibble, flex their muscles, show people who's boss, penny pinch etc etc

They're not serious about promotion. If they are their actions certainly don't match their words.

Incompetent time wasters who lack perception in the footballing world.

Big Nige was both experienced & perceptive but, as others have said, told too many home truths & fell on his sword.  

He wasn't a 'yes' man because he is too proud & is a man of principle. 

The hierachy didn't respect him but funnily enough the players did! The ones that matter.

Nothing will change under SL because he can't help meddling in footballing matters. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

I'm confused. You reach out to some folk, who put you in touch with other folk, who then divulge a load of extremely private reasoning for one of the clubs most public firings/blunders/PR mishaps in years to a complete stranger?

Under the agreement that you can just post it completely publicly, as long as it's not for a few months?

And then it turns out all the information is actually just a gigantic word salad of speculation and breadcrumbs which basically tells us nothing we didn't already know?

I have just one, very important question about all of this: Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your house?

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

The problem with football now is that to be successful you need someone with a lot of money and they're then going to run the club exactly how they want too. I'm sure Birmingham were happy with their new buyers until they sacked Eustace and got the club relegated. 

• Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, The Masked Man said:

The problem with football now is that to be successful you need someone with a lot of money and they're then going to run the club exactly how they want too. I'm sure Birmingham were happy with their new buyers until they sacked Eustace and got the club relegated. 

They still are delighted btw. 

Season ticket sales up over 50% on last season, Corporate Ticket Prices increased. Interesting to see how the latter plays out given some of the Winter games vs lower middling and lower profile sides in that division.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

20 hours ago, SecretSam said:

You're claiming that a man (SL) who built a multi-million pound organisation from scratch, employed hundreds, etc., would have a problem with someone who can lead and delegate? Literally two of the key skills for a successful head of an organisation? 

Incorrect

11 hours ago, Capman said:

If Manning fails to deliver a top 6 finish the gamble will have failed

Not a cat in hells chance of top six (imo) - nowhere near.

11 hours ago, Capman said:

They took a huge gamble firing a manager (and CEO) who had done all this before, and replacing them with a novice. If it works they will be heroes, but if it fails they should do the honourable thing and go. It’s a big season for them. 

They did.

At some point in the not too distant, they may be scanning the horizon on the look out for an experienced hand to steady the ship!

• Flames 1

The Lansdowns aren't footballing people. People that know diddly squat about football people employ football people to make their clubs successful. 

Nige has forgotten more about football than the Lansdowns knew or will ever know.

Nige doesn't suffer fools.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back.

It was always going to end like it did.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

The Lansdowns aren't footballing people. People that know diddly squat about football people employ football people to make their clubs successful. 

Nige has forgotten more about football than the Lansdowns knew or will ever know.

nicely put.

i can imagine everyone lining up for lunch singing oompah loompah dippety doo

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

I agree with most of that but Lansdown must have managed large groups of people in his career and that will include people doing jobs he didn’t understand, and that’s what I don’t get. It’s a managers job to give their staff the support, space and equipment to do their job. Lansdown’s response when challenged by Pearson (or any other footballing person) about knowing nothing about football should simply be, ‘I know, that’s what I pay you for. Now you have a great stadium, an impressive academy and the support of one of the richest owners in football. Stop worrying about what I know and don’t know and deliver me the premier league football you said you could deliver when you were given the job. I will not interfere in your job day to day, but I will also not accept excuses for failure.’ 
The problem seems to me to be that they cannot resist meddling in the football side of the operation so lose any clarity on responsibility as a result. That just leaves us with the same old cycle of repetitive failure with no one standing up and being responsible. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, glynriley said:

I’ll happily admit it, I’m not over it. 

Awful decision that’s not looking any better 10 months on. Willing to give Liam a clean slate as the season starts, but everyone above him, nah, nothing but contempt. 

But it’s done now, whether you like it or not. I’m not convinced we would’ve finished higher than we did under Pearson although we’ll never know. All we can do now is get behind the team which I think still looks promising 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

But it’s done now, whether you like it or not. I’m not convinced we would’ve finished higher than we did under Pearson although we’ll never know. All we can do now is get behind the team which I think still looks promising 

Last season wasn't really the point though. If Pearson had been retained and backed sensibly in the last 2 1/2 windows this was always the season we would have been gunning for top 6.

Edited by Sir Geoff
Extra text
  • Like 5

At the end of the day it's just conjecture. We saw how Nige had turned the playing squad around and we had started to believe that things might be good. Once again, it's the hope that kills. He'd done it before with Leicester but he'd also failed with other teams. I was gutted when he left  and like lots of others, I still am. 

I don't see a future with a manager like Manning but that doesn't mean I want him to fail so that I can say 'I told you so' unlike a lot of posters on here. 

My bottom line is that I really don't care that much now. And that's sad. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Last season wasn't really the point though. If Pearson had been retained and backed sensibly in the last 2 1/2 windows this was always the season we would have been gunning for top 6.

I think we can challenge this season, don’t think we’ll have enough ultimately though. Again we don’t know, Johnson for example arguably did worse with more funds available to him

14 minutes ago, WuTang said:

Compare the Jordan Henderson under Manning vs the Jordan Henderson under Pearson.

QED

Sorry what?