IGNORED

Other Championship signings

Big Cheese

When I start to look at other Championship clubs and their signings, premiership players on loan, ex premiership players, ( Matt Richie - Portsmouth)bit underwhelmed by our signings, either unproven in Championship, or been released by championship clubs, really hope I am wrong, but my optimism for new season is decreasing already, and starting to think it could be another season of struggling, lower to mid table.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

The bottom line is that whilst football is committing a long drawn out suicide with regard to it’s financing our owner doesn’t want to be part of the madness. 
He has no choice but to chuck in a few bob every year but it goes against his nature. 
I , in principle, agree but unfortunately the risk is that we, whilst being virtuous,  will get overtaken by others. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Big Cheese said:

When I start to look at other Championship clubs and their signings, premiership players on loan, ex premiership players, ( Matt Richie - Portsmouth)bit underwhelmed by our signings, either unproven in Championship, or been released by championship clubs, really hope I am wrong, but my optimism for new season is decreasing already, and starting to think it could be another season of struggling, lower to mid table.

There’s not many signings that have stuck out to me recently? Ritchie hasn’t played any football for years and I think it’s a real gamble for example

• Like 1

Ugbo to Sheffield Wednesday for £3m looks decent. Some reports say £2.5m too. He could be a key part of the jigsaw and knows the Club.

McAteer and Millar linked with Hull although Hull have lost loads this summer as they try to balance on pitch vs FFP.

Celar to QPR could be interesting.

Cardiff with Chambers, El Ghazi, Willock, that loan from Germany whose name escapes me and that Man City going player at Portsmouth whose name escapes me.

Blackburn with 2 prime years strikers, we'll see. Gueye and one from Japan.

Ritchie is past his best but could be useful for Portsmouth early on at this level as they look to consolidate or finish outside the relegation zone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

There’s not many signings that have stuck out to me recently? Ritchie hasn’t played any football for years and I think it’s a real gamble for example

Don’t really agree, you look on BBC website, teams have been signing Man City players on loan, Chelsea players on loan, surely we could be doing the same, thinking back to Tammy and what he did for us, a good signing, would  help with performances , increase crowds, and therefore revenue 

Just now, Big Cheese said:

Don’t really agree, you look on BBC website, teams have been signing Man City players on loan, Chelsea players on loan, surely we could be doing the same, thinking back to Tammy and what he did for us, a good signing, would  help with performances , increase crowds, and therefore revenue 

Depends on the cost however, doeent it.

IMO we won't play in excess of £15k per week on players or maybe closer to but less than £20k a week.

Fees? £2.5-3mish at most?

If I'm right, it would drastically limit our pool.

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The bottom line is that whilst football is committing a long drawn out suicide with regard to it’s financing our owner doesn’t want to be part of the madness. 
He has no choice but to chuck in a few bob every year but it goes against his nature. 
I , in principle, agree but unfortunately the risk is that we, whilst being virtuous,  will get overtaken by others. 

The new 70% Rule? Albeit the hopes were that it would be in by 2022-23 as it was at UEFA level. Perhaps 2025-26 now.

I don't disagree wirh your underlying point. I hope coihs over 70% in a year will be restricted accordingly from the getgo- they've had a long time to prepare.

I'm trying to remain optimistic for the upcoming season, however my optimism isn't based on us improving our front line with proven goalscorers, but more about the defensive side of the game.

It looks like, if we're going to get any kind of success this season, it will be built on a solid defense and winning games by one goal rather than scoring shed loads. Think of Wigan when they went up under Paul Jewell - they seemed the masters of 1 nil wins (or that's what I recall)

If we follow that philosophy and get some momentum, we may do ok this season, however a concern of mine would be if we're down near the bottom of the table post January and we don't have the goals in the side and our team is leaking goals also.

I know I've described football in a nutshell there i.e. score more goals that you concede, otherwise you'll be dragged into relegation, but i think the point I'm trying to make is that we'll be a lot more reliant on keeping things tight rather than outscoring an opponent.

Proof of the pudding will be when we need to chase a game after going 1 down.

• Like 1

I've looked at out record at the back vs albeit different sites can measure it differently and 4th best defence vs 10th-11th by a few underlying metrics.

Otoh changing manager and varied shapes can offset some of the cohesion. Dickie on the defensive side said something very encouraging in the Press Conference which I haven't yet watched but it was reported on.

The other thing to look at it with clubs making lots of signings, is how many players they lost over the summer, e.g. loans going back, players OOC, etc.

We are once again the lowest / one of the lowest in terms of number of incoming players, but we also don’t have many outgoing either.

Hull have lost 20 players, Leeds 21.

City have lost 10, but a number are youngsters:

image.png.a596a394c5a527a924aa45697778d1fa.png

No SPH loan?  Because I only include those who’ve played in first team.

We do look a bit light compared to other clubs, but as LM says there are advantages to stability.

Looking forward (at last) to the start of the season and talking about the matches.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The other thing to look at it with clubs making lots of signings, is how many players they lost over the summer, e.g. loans going back, players OOC, etc.

We are once again the lowest / one of the lowest in terms of number of incoming players, but we also don’t have many outgoing either.

Hull have lost 20 players, Leeds 21.

City have lost 10, but a number are youngsters:

image.png.a596a394c5a527a924aa45697778d1fa.png

No SPH loan?  Because I only include those who’ve played in first team.

We do look a bit light compared to other clubs, but as LM says there are advantages to stability.

Looking forward (at last) to the start of the season and talking about the matches.

Yeh I have to say I was shocked when I checked and saw Hull's churn this summer!

We've been pretty low in that regard for a few seasons now. No idea if it's really correlated with success, but it's an interesting note.

Probably the two transfers I'm jealous of or think we could have done instead are O'Hare to Sheff Utd and the replacement of him with Rudoni by Coventry. I appreciate Sheff Utd could blow any wage offer we could muster out of the water, but Rudoni...now that Twine has rumbled on I just wonder if we could have got him. No criticism meant there, just a hindsight matter.

Generally I think at this stage Coventry have had a great window. 

Likewise, I'll miss Saturday's game as am on a Stag Do, but I'll be keen to hear whether Walter's "heart attack football" stuns us.

• Like 2

On 08/08/2024 at 09:54, David Brent said:

We already had the squad capable of a lot more, according to our technical director. I’m quite pleased with the additions overall and I’m sure other championship clubs might look at us and our signings with envy.

You really think so? I've got my doubts, cant see many championship clubs looking at us like that, 

On 08/08/2024 at 10:03, Big Cheese said:

Be thankful, you at least got to optimism level,🤪

1 hour ago, Big Cheese said:

You really think so? I've got my doubts, cant see many championship clubs looking at us like that, 

I really think so. We know that at least one other club was interested in Armstrong. The fees we’ve apparently paid will represent good value if they can cut it in the championship. If I saw a team like Preston for example signing players from the J League instead of us then I’d definitely be asking why not us. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is more a reflection on the Technical Director and hierarchy I reckon..although I stand to be corrected by @David Brent

We were told the squad was good enough for the playoffs. We know what we think of that but if that comment was true then we didn’t need to add too much.  As it is then, we’ve improved our squad with these signings. IMO

• Thanks 1

• Admin
On 08/08/2024 at 09:03, Big Cheese said:

Nothing is won or lost before the season starts, perhaps wait until these players start kicking a ball for a few games then lose any optimism