IGNORED

More moulah for Steve ?

:22AM

Trading pioneers in line for £800m payday after selling Hargreaves Lansdown

Trading pioneers Peter Hargreaves and Stephen Lansdown are in line for an £800m payday after selling the eponymous business they founded in a spare bedroom in Bristol more than 40 years ago. 

Our reporter Michael Bow has the latest:

The two men, who co-founded Britain’s biggest share trading platform Hargreaves Lansdown in a bedroom in 1981, have backed a takeover of the business by European and Middle Eastern investors.

Mr Hargreaves, 77, has agreed to sell half of his stake in the business for cash to the consortium, composed of big money investors CVC Capital, Nordic Capital and Abu Dhabi’s sovereign wealth fund. 

Meanwhile, Mr Lansdown, 71, will sell all of his shares for cash. 

Read what the two men stand to earn after another blow for the London Stock Exchange.

Stephen Lansdown (right) and Peter Hargreaves (left) founded the business in a spare bedroom in Bristol in 1981 Stephen Lansdown (right) and Peter Hargreaves (left) founded the business in a spare bedroom in Bristol in 1981 Credit: Jay W

Just goes to show how little interest he had left in the company really, there was a time when they would have made £1bn+ each out of a sale like this.

I would imagine that it won't affect his businesses much, probably Jon will be the biggest earner eventually. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Just goes to show how little interest he had left in the company really, there was a time when they would have made £1bn+ each out of a sale like this.

From articles I'd read it sounds like a good time (and possibly overdue) for them to get out as valuation was falling all the time. Huge number of customers but under attack from more agile, cheaper and better technology rivals, now run by a CEO with a technology background to modernise systems that desperately need it, and at risk of being left behind.

I'm sure there will be employees on here so apologies if I've got this wrong but I had no idea it was seen as something of a laggard. Perhaps the investors buying it have eyes on consolidation and buying one of the leaner competitors and then shifting all the customers across to more future proofed tech. I would take the money and run, sounds like they are!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Olé said:

From articles I'd read it sounds like a good time (and possibly overdue) for them to get out as valuation was falling all the time. Huge number of customers but under attack from more agile, cheaper and better technology rivals, now run by a CEO with a technology background to modernise systems that desperately need it, and at risk of being left behind.

I'm sure there will be employees on here so apologies if I've got this wrong but I had no idea it was seen as something of a laggard. Perhaps the investors buying it have eyes on consolidation and buying one of the leaner competitors and then shifting all the customers across to more future proofed tech. I would take the money and run, sounds like they are!

I must admit, that surprises me as well, I am more than happy with the way my SIPP is going and their charges seem really competitive. I only have a small invested in actual HL funds, but what I do have is earning me around 13-15% interest per annum. Their App is really good and easy to use too. I sound like a salesman but, the best thing they have is the "Active Hub" savings portal which allows you to move money around multiple companies to get the best interest rates, both instant access and various fixed rates,

I have seen adverts for the "upcoming" rivals and I have looked at their products, but I can't see how or why they would be any better. Time will tell I guess.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OJ009 said:

How much can he actually put into the club?

The answer is.. it depends.

*On Paper as much as he likes. Cash Flow or Equity or other Secured Funding.

*For FFP, only the first £24m in equity counts in any Rolling 3 Year Cycle. Maybe £26.5m now given the slight uplift due to Cost of Living.

However he can invest loads in infrastructure if he likes, lots in Cash Flow. The key bit is that 3 Year Loss Limit etc.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, OJ009 said:

How much can he actually put into the club?

More to the point, what can he put in that will add value and encourage others to want to invest? Someone suggested that he could afford to pay the £200m Sporting Quarter with his own money without having to wait for the green light of the housing development, I said at the time that he was unlikely to have that amount just lying around in bank accounts, now he has. Would he consider starting the development with his own money with the expectation that the Longmoor development will eventually go ahead, would he just pay off/buy a sound proofed canopy for ETM? Those possibilities might now cross his mind, the quicker that development goes ahead, the quicker he is likely to find interested buyers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I still use them for share trading as the Rees for that are reasonable but a few years ago I totted up what I was paying in fees for holding mostly tracker funds and realised that it was costing me literally thousands a year to be with HL so I moved all my funds.

I had no complaints about the service which is excellent but those "hidden costs" were huge. 

23 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

More to the point, what can he put in that will add value and encourage others to want to invest? Someone suggested that he could afford to pay the £200m Sporting Quarter with his own money without having to wait for the green light of the housing development, I said at the time that he was unlikely to have that amount just lying around in bank accounts, now he has. Would he consider starting the development with his own money with the expectation that the Longmoor development will eventually go ahead, would he just pay off/buy a sound proofed canopy for ETM? Those possibilities might now cross his mind, the quicker that development goes ahead, the quicker he is likely to find interested buyers.

Personally I think the best ROI he +and the club) could get right now is the women's team.

A little investment - honestly probably less than £1m - there could establish them in the WSL, at which point they could be sold as their own entity. Give them an ownership stake in AG Ltd, license the badge and kit to them. 

It's a personal opinion but I don't think it's feasible for the future of women's football to be as a subsidiary of the men's game. Investment and then sale of that team/company would be a relatively easy win, and would potentially liberate BCFC Women earlier than their competitors.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4

Yes that's a good point. Unfortunately as a new fan, I wonder if he is considering what to do with the Flyers as well. The British Basketball League is in a mess thanks to 777, and a lot of clubs could fold. Surrey Scorchers have gone, although another Surrey franchise looks to have started up, and last year's Champions London Lions are still in Administration, and the clubs have just granted a new group made up of some of the teams a licence to run a new league, in the short term (3 years). 

I would imagine that they are all cost at the moment.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes that's a good point. Unfortunately as a new fan, I wonder if he is considering what to do with the Flyers as well. The British Basketball League is in a mess thanks to 777, and a lot of clubs could fold. Surrey Scorchers have gone, although another Surrey franchise looks to have started up, and last year's Champions London Lions are still in Administration, and the clubs have just granted a new group made up of some of the teams a licence to run a new league, in the short term (3 years). 

I would imagine that they are all cost at the moment.

New arena for them on the way too!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Stands to gain some £309m as per the article!

So how about giving us a nice present to celebrate your good fortune?  By paying for Mr Twine to join us.............you miserly Git?   Ha!! 😍

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

So how about giving us a nice present to celebrate your good fortune?  By paying for Mr Twine to join us.............you miserly Git?   Ha!! 😍

Ha Steve I mean. Yeah Twine and Stansfield would be a lovely flourish to finish the Summer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I would imagine that it won't affect his businesses much, probably Jon will be the biggest earner eventually. 

But he's sold a lot of shares over time I believe so doubt he's done too badly

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Personally I think the best ROI he +and the club) could get right now is the women's team.

A little investment - honestly probably less than £1m - there could establish them in the WSL, at which point they could be sold as their own entity. Give them an ownership stake in AG Ltd, license the badge and kit to them. 

It's a personal opinion but I don't think it's feasible for the future of women's football to be as a subsidiary of the men's game. Investment and then sale of that team/company would be a relatively easy win, and would potentially liberate BCFC Women earlier than their competitors.

I understand your rationale but the only way to make money in sport in the UK, other than as a player, is to own a Premiership club at which point you start to make serious money and BCFC will more than double in value if a sale is desired.

Everything else: Championship team, women's football team, basketball, did we have speedway as well?, and rugby (£5m loss last year - and rugby used to turn a small profit!) is just losing money with the only differential being the rate at which it is lost.

This is clearly the aim - Academy investment, infrastructure investment - but until it is achieved the losses from the football club will continue to be eye-watering.

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Tbf he’s made his money and done a hell of a lot for this club so he is untitled to put his feet up and enjoy his earnings but let’s hope he doesn’t outstay his welcome and let his halfwit son take complete control 

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I would’ve thought it’s more a case of what is he prepared to write-off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I understand your rationale but the only way to make money in sport in the UK, other than as a player, is to own a Premiership club at which point you start to make serious money and BCFC will more than double in value if a sale is desired.

Everything else: Championship team, women's football team, basketball, did we have speedway as well?, and rugby (£5m loss last year - and rugby used to turn a small profit!) is just losing money with the only differential being the rate at which it is lost.

This is clearly the aim - Academy investment, infrastructure investment - but until it is achieved the losses from the football club will continue to be eye-watering.

Curious  to know which owners of PL clubs have made serious money as a result of owning said clubs.

Every club bar 1 or 2 lose serious money.

The only way to make serious money is to own it for a few years and then sell it for a nice profit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Curious  to know which owners of PL clubs have made serious money as a result of owning said clubs.

Every club bar 1 or 2 lose serious money.

The only way to make serious money is to own it for a few years and then sell it for a nice profit.

The Glazers absolutely, leveraged buyout and all that, Dividends etc.

Not sure how many more..Benham might in the fullness of time, Bloom take longer. Denim at Bournemouth Idk maybe, Mike Ashley eventually.

Rare and thin on the ground however.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not sure how many more..Benham might in the fullness of time, Bloom take longer. Denim at Bournemouth Idk maybe, Mike Ashley eventually.

Bloom is actually a (genuine) fan of his club, so he has already had his "return." 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Glazers because of the leverage. Spurs just about the only club to .ake a regular profit. The others all subject to eventually selling their clubs.

Have to laugh at Ashley sold Newcastle 2 years ago for £350 million. It's probably worth closer to abillion now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As little as possible sadly IMO.

I don't blame him at this point if I'm honest. I mean he's putting millions upon millions in every year to even keep us where we are, he's built all new training facilities, got Ashton Gate looking amazing and all he gets is abuse. 

I don't blame him for looking for an exit strategy at this point, I mean the fans don't appreciate him and what is he actually getting from being the owner. 

What concerns me is as things are we're getting by, we've managed to secure Championship football for coming up to 10 years but if he were to sell off I worry what kind of sale it would be? Would the stadium remain ours or is it under Bristol Sport and technically owned by that? Would a buyer need to buy all of Bristol Sport or would he sell certain parts? And even after a deal, would we be better off? So many clubs get taken over and think they'll be going on to be the next big team only to realise that their new ownership doesn't get them success and leaves them stagnating. 

For me the only good thing that can come from a sale of this club is that the buyer removes Jon Lansdown from his position and Tinnion too and that they are replaced with competent and professional successors. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't blame him at this point if I'm honest. I mean he's putting millions upon millions in every year to even keep us where we are, he's built all new training facilities, got Ashton Gate looking amazing and all he gets is abuse. 

I don't blame him for looking for an exit strategy at this point, I mean the fans don't appreciate him and what is he actually getting from being the owner. 

What concerns me is as things are we're getting by, we've managed to secure Championship football for coming up to 10 years but if he were to sell off I worry what kind of sale it would be? Would the stadium remain ours or is it under Bristol Sport and technically owned by that? Would a buyer need to buy all of Bristol Sport or would he sell certain parts? And even after a deal, would we be better off? So many clubs get taken over and think they'll be going on to be the next big team only to realise that their new ownership doesn't get them success and leaves them stagnating. 

For me the only good thing that can come from a sale of this club is that the buyer removes Jon Lansdown from his position and Tinnion too and that they are replaced with competent and professional successors. 

Interesting post. I can see where you are coming from on level, the Infrastructure and Academy much improved is an impressive legacy. Some of the flak can certainly go too far but the Championship has become a money pit- I think there is a lot more flak for Jon Lansdown and Tinnion than Steve on balance but anyway.

He has probably run his race..for what reason, the events of Spring to November 2023. Selling Scott yeah expected and we got the best possible fee probably, but to then not back to the extent he should the manager who played his part in the side improving and doing more with less, helping to create value in players- who frequently put Club Interests above his short term goals. It's just bewildering and let alone for him to be sacked??

Stadium is owned by AGL but not the Club and AGL (plus the Ladies Team) under the non-Trading consolidator Bristol City Holdings, but these things can easily be fixed or amended. I'll put it another way, how sellable is it in the current structure at the current possible price? I digress such matters can certainly be fixed.

Plus why did we wreck the structure..BT, GM, JL and TR- both elements of too many cooks and yet blurred responsibility.

Course I get it, but sometimes you need a new voice. You need a new impetus. Investment to go with the excellent base..fresh energy. Ideas.

Sporting Quarter- if it is ever built- could add yet more revenue potential to the Club and again that can be to the credit of SL, but it just feels like..he doesn't know when we are onto a good thing, he can often back the wrong horse at the wrong time. It's maddening and saddening!

He has sadly run his race IMO, we won't go bankrupt or get Asset Stripped with him st the helm but I don't see how he will suddenly rouse himself to help us push on again- I don't mean to excess but a couple of £4-5m bracket signings, perhaps a striker in prime years among them could make a lot of difference.

Yes, yes and yes again. They are not up to it in their present roles. Perhaps Tinnion could go back to the Academy but what role you employ Jon Lansdown in?? Perhaps he could come as a fan. Some ceremomial role but no power for the Lansdown family. Idk.

A new owner may as well spending some more on the here and now, look to hire the best in class in all areas..relative to our pulling power and resources, may make a serious push for Category One too..possibilities abound.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting post. I can see where you are coming from on level, the Infrastructure and Academy much improved is an impressive legacy. Some of the flak can certainly go too far but the Championship has become a money pit- I think there is a lot more flak for Jon Lansdown and Tinnion than Steve on balance but anyway.

He has probably run his race..for what reason, the events of Spring to November 2023. Selling Scott yeah expected and we got the best possible fee probably, but to then not back to the extent he should the manager who played his part in the side improving and doing more with less, helping to create value in players- who frequently put Club Interests above his short term goals. It's just bewildering and let alone for him to be sacked??

Stadium is owned by AGL but not the Club and AGL (plus the Ladies Team) under the non-Trading consolidator Bristol City Holdings, but these things can easily be fixed or amended. I'll put it another way, how sellable is it in the current structure at the current possible price? I digress such matters can certainly be fixed.

Plus why did we wreck the structure..BT, GM, JL and TR- both elements of too many cooks and yet blurred responsibility.

Course I get it, but sometimes you need a new voice. You need a new impetus. Investment to go with the excellent base..fresh energy. Ideas.

Sporting Quarter- if it is ever built- could add yet more revenue potential to the Club and again that can be to the credit of SL, but it just feels like..he doesn't know when we are onto a good thing, he can often back the wrong horse at the wrong time. It's maddening and saddening!

He has sadly run his race IMO, we won't go bankrupt or get Asset Stripped with him st the helm but I don't see how he will suddenly rouse himself to help us push on again- I don't mean to excess but a couple of £4-5m bracket signings, perhaps a striker in prime years among them could make a lot of difference.

Yes, yes and yes again. They are not up to it in their present roles. Perhaps Tinnion could go back to the Academy but what role you employ Jon Lansdown in?? Perhaps he could come as a fan. Some ceremomial role but no power for the Lansdown family. Idk.

A new owner may as well spending some more on the here and now, look to hire the best in class in all areas..relative to our pulling power and resources, may make a serious push for Category One too..possibilities abound.

Wanting SL gone because he didn’t back your hero Nige 😄

Some city fan you.

• Confused 3
  • Facepalm 4

2 hours ago, Jimmyjimmy said:

Wanting SL gone because he didn’t back your hero Nige 😄

Some city fan you.

That is a wild twisting of my view. Very odd take.

I'm quite balanced and comprehensive. I think he has kind of run his race. Tinnion and JL aren't suitable for their present positions- do you believe SL is still set to drive us forwards.

The problem is that in football, if you stand still you risk regressing..do you not think the Club needs fresh impetus, energy and a bit more money to build and push forward?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3
  • Flames 2

What's sad...is Edward Colston will now always be remembered for being part of a company set up by the King, to export gold, silver and slaves. 

Rather than for all the good he did for the City of Bristol, especially the poor and needy. 

A tarnished legacy. 

Huge amounts of his wealth spent on doing good.

In 1681, the date of his father's death, he appears as a governor of Christ's Hospital, to which he afterwards gave frequently. During the remainder of his life he seems to have divided his attention pretty equally between the city of his birth and that of his adoption.[10]

In 1691, on St Michael's Hill, Bristol, at a cost of £8,000 (equivalent to $1,800,000 in 2023), he founded Colstons Almshouses for the reception of 24 poor men and women, and endowed with accommodation for "Six Saylors", at a cost of £600, the merchant's almshouses in King Street. He also endowed Queen Elizabeth's Hospital school. In 1696, at a cost of £8,000, he endowed a foundation for clothing and teaching 40 boys (the books employed were to have in them "no tincture of Whiggism"); and six years afterwards he expended a further sum of £1,500 in rebuilding the schoolhouse. In 1708, at a cost of £41,200 (equivalent to $8,400,000 in 2023), he built and endowed his great foundation on Saint Augustine’s Back, for the instruction, clothing, maintaining and apprenticing of 100 boys; and in time of scarcity, during this and next year, he transmitted some £20,000 (equivalent to $3,400,000 in 2023) to the London committee,[10] to be managed by the Society of Merchant Venturers for its upkeep.[3] He gave money to schools in Temple (one of which went on to become St Mary Redcliffe and Temple School) and other parts of Bristol, and to several churches and the cathedral.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

What's sad...is Edward Colston will now always be remembered for being part of a company set up by the King, to export gold, silver and slaves. 

Rather than for all the good he did for the City of Bristol, especially the poor and needy. 

A tarnished legacy. 

In 1681, the date of his father's death, he appears as a governor of Christ's Hospital, to which he afterwards gave frequently. During the remainder of his life he seems to have divided his attention pretty equally between the city of his birth and that of his adoption.[10]

In 1691, on St Michael's Hill, Bristol, at a cost of £8,000 (equivalent to $1,800,000 in 2023), he founded Colstons Almshouses for the reception of 24 poor men and women, and endowed with accommodation for "Six Saylors", at a cost of £600, the merchant's almshouses in King Street. He also endowed Queen Elizabeth's Hospital school. In 1696, at a cost of £8,000, he endowed a foundation for clothing and teaching 40 boys (the books employed were to have in them "no tincture of Whiggism"); and six years afterwards he expended a further sum of £1,500 in rebuilding the schoolhouse. In 1708, at a cost of £41,200 (equivalent to $8,400,000 in 2023), he built and endowed his great foundation on Saint Augustine’s Back, for the instruction, clothing, maintaining and apprenticing of 100 boys; and in time of scarcity, during this and next year, he transmitted some £20,000 (equivalent to $3,400,000 in 2023) to the London committee,[10] to be managed by the Society of Merchant Venturers for its upkeep.[3] He gave money to schools in Temple (one of which went on to become St Mary Redcliffe and Temple School) and other parts of Bristol, and to several churches and the cathedral.

We don't know how much money Steve and Maggie have put back into the community through charitable acts, there was something that got advertised recently about an arts project in Thornbury? something like that, but that's probably one of many examples. 

He certainly has created and will create a lot of jobs in the area through multiple enterprises, that we do know. 

As for building an NHS hospital, is that even feasible these days? The period you are talking about with Colston there was far less Governmental oversight, there was no NHS system funded by the state, so almost all hospitals were built by wealthy benefactors, or in some cases the army or navy initially for troops.

You could have a situation where SL builds a hospital and the NHS says "thank you, but we haven't the doctors and nurses available to staff it".

I suppose if he was so inclined he could have a new hospital wing built in his name, a bit like the Aardman guys have, but as I say he may have already added millions to different projects over the years, as may also be the case with Hargreaves.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We don't know how much money Steve and Maggie have put back into the community through charitable acts, there was something that got advertised recently about an arts project in Thornbury? something like that, but that's probably one of many examples. 

He certainly has created and will create a lot of jobs in the area through multiple enterprises, that we do know. 

As for building an NHS hospital, is that even feasible these days? The period you are talking about with Colston there was far less Governmental oversight, there was no NHS system funded by the state, so almost all hospitals were built by wealthy benefactors, or in some cases the army or navy initially for troops.

You could have a situation where SL builds a hospital and the NHS says "thank you, but we haven't the doctors and nurses available to staff it".

I suppose if he was so inclined he could have a new hospital wing built in his name, a bit like the Aardman guys have, but as I say he may have already added millions to different projects over the years, as may also be the case with Hargreaves.

That maybe so. I'm sure he has. 

But you can get my drift. 

Tbh...the whole legacy thing baffles me.

It's such a narcissistic view of life.

Wanting people to remember you.

For what point? You're dead. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

That maybe so. I'm sure he has. 

But you can get my drift. 

Tbh...the whole legacy thing baffles me.

It's such a narcissistic view of life.

Wanting people to remember you.

For what point? You're dead. 

And yet you hold Colston up as example, someone who is synonymous with the city of Bristol as you attest through your examples.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And yet you hold Colston up as example, someone who is synonymous with the city of Bristol as you attest through your examples.

Did he want to leave a legacy, or did the City of Bristol make it so?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

A tarnished legacy. 

And none of the other slave traders who spent their money on stately homes and luxury for themselves were thrown in effigy into the docks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And none of the other slave traders who spent their money on stately homes and luxury for themselves were thrown in effigy into the docks.

I don't know about that...but I'm firmly in the camp that the Statue should have stayed with a plinth educating people. Rather than trying to erase history. 

It was raised nearly 200 years after his death. 

I walk around the Rome Ampethetre and look at all the statues of Caesars that enslaved people for wealth and empire building. People in awe. Glamorised in film. 

Statues of Kings, Queens, Emporers around the world, all in place. Glorifying all they achieved, often by war, enslaving others. 

There would be no buildings or statues left, if we tore down everything that had a hand in or received profit from exploitation. 

• Like 9
  • Flames 4

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is a wild twisting of my view. Very odd take.

I'm quite balanced and comprehensive. I think he has kind of run his race. Tinnion and JL aren't suitable for their present positions- do you believe SL is still set to drive us forwards.

The problem is that in football, if you stand still you risk regressing..do you not think the Club needs fresh impetus, energy and a bit more money to build and push forward?

Spot on Pops. It's clear SL isn't the only deluded one! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I don't know about that...but I'm firmly in the camp that the Statue should have stayed with a plinth educating people. Rather than trying to erase history. 

It was raised nearly 200 years after his death. 

I walk around the Rome Ampethetre and look at all the statues of Caesars that enslaved people for wealth and empire building. People in awe. Glamorised in film. 

Statues of Kings, Queens, Emporers around the world, all in place. Glorifying all they achieved, often by war, enslaving others. 

There would be no buildings or statues left, if we tore down everything that had a hand in or received profit from exploitation. 

That I can agree with.

It's also a shame that some Bristolians that have made incredible contributions to society are not honoured properly. like Paul Dirac.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

Spot on Pops. It's clear SL isn't the only deluded one! 

Cheers JAWS.

It's funny really, I don't think what I said was especially controversial or anything. 20 odd years is a long for a Professional Club owner especially in a money pit of a division like this...It could probably be good cor both parties, praise him for the Infrastructure and perhaps some kinda exec seats for the Lansdown family for as long as they want them.

Various deals can be done, arrangements made.

• Like 1

As a bloke who sold a business I’m really pleased for the fella. 

Hopefully he has got away with the heart operations and multiple law suits !

And hopefully he’ll chuck some at Jon, Brian and a bit more at South Bristol in general! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I wish they would stop reporting that he has "made" money, all that has happened is a conversion of assets, he's not worth anymore than he was before on paper.

That’s wrong. The sale has gone through at well above share price at the start of the process. While his net worth hasn’t shot up over night, it has risen substantially due to the uplift in HL share price over the past few months. 

27 minutes ago, James54De said:

That’s wrong. The sale has gone through at well above share price at the start of the process. While his net worth hasn’t shot up over night, it has risen substantially due to the uplift in HL share price over the past few months. 

Well yes, I estimated on previous post that it was about £60m, but the shares have been valued at that for some time, so he still hasn't made any money from the point of view of the rich list, just converted it into cash.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well yes, I estimated on previous post that it was about £60m, but the shares have been valued at that for some time, so he still hasn't made any money from the point of view of the rich list, just converted it into cash.

Share price has increased ~50% in the last 6 months, no? 

20 minutes ago, James54De said:

Share price has increased ~50% in the last 6 months, no? 

Is it as much as that? I had it down as around 30-35% but I stand to be corrected. AT 50% his holding will have increased in value by roughly £100m not too shabby, but not another 1bn as someone claimed on another thread.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Is it as much as that? I had it down as around 30-35% but I stand to be corrected. AT 50% his holding will have increased in value by roughly £100m not too shabby, but not another 1bn as someone claimed on another thread.

So he could spend £100m on new players and be no worse off than he was 6 months ago?, or am I missing something here? 😂

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes, you are missing FFP. Ask @Mr Popodopolous.

I'm always amazed at how many football fans know nothing about FFP. 

It seems really common.

Not knowing about it, must really screw with your logic about how a club is run.

' the owner has all this money, but never spends it on players ' is often said in pubs and clubs around the country. 

It's probably the same people who shout out, when the ball isn't fully in the corner, at kicks. 

• Like 2