IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

Hull were there for the taking, that was a truly terrible performance capped by Joe Williams winning the worst display of the season award on the first day . If we can not beat a team playing like Hull did today, who can we beat ?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Manning should have subbed him far earlier, on him as much as Williams.

It's 100% on Williams. I can't work out why that wasn't a second yellow

Edited by Super
  • Like 4

The one time a player acted in instinct and we score.

Every other time they get into the final third and overthink and waste it time and time again. 

Bird was okay, Knight had his ups and downs moments but Williams delivery, his choice of passing, didn't match the tempo of the game and the headloss at the end. Would like to see TGH get a chance instead.

Stroud was giving fouls for every nudge in the game and was consistent with it, asking to be a penalty. 

8 minutes ago, Malago said:

You can’t account for one man’s moment of madness.  Otherwise an encouraging performance.

Problem is it wasnt one man's moment of madness.

Poor decision making everywhere on the pitch. Knight was useless in possession at times, Williams was rash, Sykes poor.

Only thing I'd criticise was Manning taking Bird off and not Knight or Williams, who both looked off the pace on and off the ball for most of it.

Better decision making across the pitch and we're out of sight by 70 minutes, at least 2-0 up.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Hull were there for the taking, that was a truly terrible performance capped by Joe Williams winning the worst display of the season award on the first day . If we can not beat a team playing like Hull did today, who can we beat ?

Can’t beat a team like how Hull are playing??? WTF are some people on???? We’re not Man City FFS!! 🤣

How come, whenever City play reasonably well, it always seems to be because the opposition were poor? Why wasn’t it also about how well we pressed and took it too them?

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thought we edged them. Great strike by Fally. Think he could be a real coup from what i've seen so far of him.

Daft by Williams at the end, literally braindead. BUT a point away from home is never a bad result in this League, and we can build upon this.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

It really wasn't truly terrible ffs.

• Like 4

Thought we look tidy, have some decent talent, but are totally lacking in composure when it matters at both ends. Absolutely must solve final ball and pass. Been the problem for years.

We panic in vital moments. Got to change that if we want to trouble the top six of the table this season.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Very frustrating. Sadly Joe gave our friend Mr Stroud, the opportunity to give a soft pen, silly boy.

Lovely goal by Fally but we've left 2 points up there tbh, the better side by some margin IMHO.

The high press looked good tho.

Bloody frustrating isn't it Ska. When you add up all the silly dropped points at the end of the season and add them on to the final tally it could be the difference between 10th or 6th.

• Like 1

I thought it was an entertaining game that lacked quality.

Tactically we completely nullified them with our press, although I thought the wingers were a little slow to close down the full backs, but we must have won the ball in the Hull defensive third at least 10 times.

Armstrong was impressive, but potentially as we thought, good up until the point he needs to shoot. Fally looked better on the ball, but not as physical. If we could somehow merge them into one player!

Pring was poor for me. Poor passing, poor tackling, passes backwards. Would like to see Roberts get a go at left back as I think he offers so much more in the final third which might allow Memeti to drift inside for some more link-up play / be harder to mark.

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Massively disappointed but it was not a truly terrible performance 🤔

2 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Can’t beat a team like how Hull are playing??? WTF are some people on???? We’re not Man City FFS!! 🤣

Hull lost 19 players in the summer including their 8 top goal scorers and only brought 2 in (1 of them a reserve keeper!)

• Like 1

I thought this was the charity shield game . Both sides hell bent on giving the opposition a helping hand . 

Not much to say , but Bird looks a good signing though not in that role , and Mayulu has something for sure. 

We did not lose , no new injuries , the team is what we know . We should be ok at the back but creating and scoring goals will be our weakness. We have already seen this in 2024 .  

I cannot wait to see if Yu can inject some quality . 

Just now, Super said:

It really wasn't truly terrible ffs.

Some people just cannot deal with disappointment and it’s just anger and lashing out. Take the emotion out of it and it was a decent display for the most part let down by decision making and a bit of quality lacking. Hull had more shots on target, we had comfortably more of the game. It’s something to work from IF our higher ups bring in some quality. That’s their job.

• Like 3

Can anyone explain why we still haven't brought in a number 10 yet?   We all know that Uncle Steve is down to his last billion.............but surely isn't it about time we either opened our bowels, or got off the toilet? 😍

so frustrated. looked like we wouldn’t get the goal we deserved - finally got it, and williams has done that. well and truly let the team down today. not the first time he’s acted in a rash manner.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Glad my sky + wasn’t ready to use, fear I may have smashed screen in total frustration.  But after over 70 years of support should be used to City by now, but every season believe the puff put out by the club

Yes,  it's amazing how decisions can affect a game, if Manning had replaced Williams earlier, we would have more than likely won that game, Williams needs to be on the bench for a few games, then perhaps he will get his act together and be a bit more careful and think a bit more before taking reckless action. I also was surprised Stroud didnt give him a second yellow and a red, so at least he avoided that.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kibs said:

How come, whenever City play reasonably well, it always seems to be because the opposition were poor? Why wasn’t it also about how well we pressed and took it too them?

Because we're beasts of emotion and not objectivity, logic and reasoning.

• Like 1

Shame about williams chucking away two points, he'd done ok up till then imo.

Positives;

• We were the better team
    • Played on the front foot all game
  • Kept possession well
  • Armstrong looked strong and direct, good debut
  • Mayulu looked very good and a really well taken goal
  • With the possible exception of Sykes, they all played well

Negatives;

• Clueless in the final third
  • Crossing and dead ball deliveries crap 
    • Why is Williams taking the dead balls, hardly ever gets past the first man
    • Sykes and Pring need to up their game re crossing
  • Bird wasted in the forward position

If we can get the final third and the crossing/dead balls right, we can have some impact in the division.

Enjoyed the game up to the penalty madness.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Thought we edged them. Great strike by Fally. Think he could be a real coup from what i've seen so far of him.

Daft by Williams at the end, literally braindead. BUT a point away from home is never a bad result in this League, and we can build upon this.

It just FEELS like a bad result, had it been the other way around I'm sure it would have felt better, but it seems to me 9 out of 10 times it's us giving up the lead.

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

People will say it’s a robbery, but that’s what happens when you’re absolutely terrible in the final third. 

we’ll feel hard done by, but Hull have come out of this with more shots on target than us, and forced Max into two excellent saves, which is much more than we can say

Good to see 90% of your posts negative in gameweek 1 MDT Pete. Start as you mean to go on 😜

Totally agree that you can't dominate, create so many opportunities, then only convert the one, which let's be fair was a special finish from Fally.

So what is the problem? The intent was there. You can't blame Manning for trying to be controlling and cautious. 

We wanted a high press, we got it.

We wanted Sykes in his favoured position, we got it.

We wanted the new strikers to look dangerous, we got it.

It was execution. Some dreadful final balls from Sykes, Wells, Mehmeti, Knight and Williams.

Let's hope it was just ringrust.

• Confused 1

the decision making in the final third has to be improved. we had some decent build up play today but the final pass or shot let us down. have to take this one on the chin, but something we need to work on.

Good performance. Should have beaten them though in view of how dominant we were. Several wrong choices by different players cost us in the final third. Huge plus is the goal. Great bit of skill and superb finish by the big man. That'll give him massive confidence. Terrible decision from Joe. Just glad it didn't cost us all 3 points. We move on. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Certainly not his biggest fan, but i can understand why he was given the deal - King was retiring, Matty James wasn’t wanted by the club and then we have Williams. Losing all 3 of those experienced players would of been very worrying & Williams made the most sense to keep. 

I don't think King would have retired if he had been offered a contract. Neither were wanted by the club because they were Pearson's Generals. 

• Like 1

Lot of knee jerk reaction , understandable I guess but trying not to get dragged in.

Plus points?
I thought we played some nice stuff at times, the press was very good. 
Armstrong looks a beast, his pace and power will be real assets this year.
Fally can finish.
We created a lot of good positions .

Minus points?
The decision making on the edge of the box is criminal , so many good positions wasted.
Too many players just a little off. I didn't think any of the midfield shone . Williams did ok breaking things up , but 2 stupid moments meant he was lucky to stay on. Pointless booking to start, then a stupid challenge for the Pen. First view I did think it was harsh, but he doesn't even try and hear the ball. 

I thought every one did ok , had good moments but not good games. I would probably say Armstrong was the exception , he caused them all sorts of problems and didn't do too much wrong, and I also didn't mean Max .

That first 20 minutes summed things up. I thought we looked good, the press was awesome and we were close to things. We dominated play, stretched them and it looked like we were sure to score . Then you turn around and Max has had to make 3 decent saves.  There seemed a void behind our press , they seemed to find space and pick up 2nd ball. It's the first game and we didn't play that system with those player pre season. Maybe we score more with Wells in that role that Bird played , another day players make different choices . 

I'd say there were things to be optimistic about , but also I'd say a team genuinely looking top 6/8 would win that game .

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Just now, bcfc01 said:

Shame about williams chucking away two points, he'd done ok up till then imo.

Positives;

• We were the better team
    • Played on the front foot all game
  • Kept possession well
  • Armstrong looked strong and direct, good debut
  • Mayulu looked very good and a really well taken goal
  • With the possible exception of Sykes, they all played well

Negatives;

• Clueless in the final third
  • Crossing and dead ball deliveries crap (why is Williams taking them, hardly ever gets past the first man)
    • Why is Williams taking the dead balls, hardly ever gets past the first man
    • Sykes and Pring need to up their game re crossing
  • Bird wasted in the forward position

If we can get the final third and the crossing/dead balls right, we can have some impact in the division.

Enjoyed the game up to the penalty madness.

Just a final point, just in case you failed to cover it?   We are constantly told how meticulous and obsessive Manning is?.............................So WHY? is Williams taking the dead ball deliveries?,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Great performance, dominated most of the game, just need to sort our finishing out and we will have a positive season. 

How long have we been saying this.  Promised much from window ……

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes,  it's amazing how decisions can affect a game, if Manning had replaced Williams earlier, we would have more than likely won that game, Williams needs to be on the bench for a few games, then perhaps he will get his act together and be a bit more careful and think a bit more before taking reckless action. I also was surprised Stroud didnt give him a second yellow and a red, so at least he avoided that.

He should have got that second yellow, he got away with one there.

It would have made Mannings selection for the next game a bit easier as well.

• Like 1

Calming Down Slightly

WE played well

Finding the final pass was poor, 

Shooting bar one worldie was crap

Joe Williams needs a very solid kick in the nuts, which will hopefully result in something positive....Utter nonsense foul in injury time....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Glad my sky + wasn’t ready to use, fear I may have smashed screen in total frustration.  But after over 70 years of support should be used to City by now, but every season believe the puff put out by the club

You missed a good game.

• Like 1

Some of our build up was very good but......our final pass/cross is appalling. Sykes was poor again as was Williams and although Mehmeti gets himself into good positions his final ball is bloody awful. Happy with the point but should have come away with all 3.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Good to see 90% of your posts negative in gameweek 1 MDT Pete. Start as you mean to go on 😜

Totally agree that you can't dominate, create so many opportunities, then only convert the one, which let's be fair was a special finish from Fally.

So what is the problem? The intent was there. You can't blame Manning for trying to be controlling and cautious. 

It was execution. Some dreadful final balls from Sykes, Wells, Mehmeti, Knight and Williams.

You can blame Manning for not taking Williams off earlier, he was struggling after his early yellow card and lost us the extra two points.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

He should have got that second yellow, he got away with one there.

It would have made Mannings selection for the next game a bit easier as well.

O decision should be easy

just imagine Nige on bus home.  If I was Williams would have on that case elected to make my own way home

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

just imagine Nige on bus home.  If I was Williams would have on that case elected to make my own way home

He's probably nipping over to Liverpool! 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hull will get better, have some quite good players and more to  come in- but very much transitioning atm.

Yeah so a great time to play them, think they have a few injuries too. Hence not taking a point if offered beforehand, really should have won today.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Staff and players will give him shite, he won't be as loud as he normally is.

Anyway, its done, roll on Millwall.

Would have taken the point before the start but not when you’re 1 up on 89 minutes.

Stupid challenge by Williams that cost us.

Thought the keeper, back four, Knight & Mehmeti did well & Armstrong worked hard up top.

Brilliant finish by Fally, which will give him a huge boost.

Points dropped because I can’t believe Hull will be this weak by September.

Would expect us to add a couple in the next fortnight, Cornick presumably is off as well as TC.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

You can blame Manning for not taking Williams off earlier, he was struggling after his early yellow card and lost us the extra two points.

Yeah, I thought Manning should have moved Bird back and taken Williams off, but I don't think Manning could have foreseen that stupidity!

33 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

So he has a new 3 year contract that everyone was worried that he wouldn’t sign and now he’s a liability ? 
:dunno:

OTIB fickle?

Surely not!

Decent from what I saw, but poor decision making in the final third. Have to be clinical in this league. 

Happy for Fally. I like the combo of Armstrong bring pace and strength and weakening/tiring the defence for Fally to come on or vice versa. 

Need that mystical 10. Keep Knight and Bird in the middle. 

Coyr

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

How long have we been saying this.  Promised much from window 

Its one game of this season and there is still time to get players in im not going to get critical after one game of this season, if the window shuts and we haven't got anyone in in the positions we need then I suspect it will be the same old but the signs today were encouraging. I'd rather take positives than look at the negatives 

3 minutes ago, Packman said:

Yeah so a great time to play them, think they have a few injuries too. Hence not taking a point if offered beforehand, really should have won today.

I read they only had one player out injured tbh but not sure either way.

As you say a good time to play them..a draw was my prediction though but the performance wasn't too bad.

• Like 1

Having done 20 circuits of the garden to calm down after that totally insane Williams challenge my thoughts overall would be:-

Defence: Sound, O’Leary MoM but same old Vyner with too casual passing.

Midfield: Busy, but we need an attacking midfielder who can score goals as well as do the simple stuff.

Attack: Thought Armstrong pressed well and was a nuisance, the Austrian guy took his goal superbly but not such a good press, Sykes and Annis meh.

Subs: Disappointing, little impact.  Bell won’t have a better opportunity all season to skin defenders, Wells a simple goal scoring opportunity pass ignored. 

About the same standard as last Season, but we might have a bit more squad depth in some areas. Need more quality in the final third, wide and midfield.

Manning good setup and tactics - though I would have replaced Williams after 75 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

That's the spirit...it was always going to be 1-1, some games you just know it, but this so City, apart from the Williams nonsense plenty to feel positive about, the obvious thing before and after this game we didn't have an inside forward, to feed off the scraps.

In the past these sort of players we had in abundance, it's not difficult to slot in this type of player, however I am confident we will soon.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah, I thought Manning should have moved Bird back and taken Williams off, but I don't think Manning could have foreseen that stupidity!

The only conclusion I can come to as to why Bird was taken off was that it came down to the data that the coaching staff are seeing from the monitors the players we wearing, perhaps they saw some fatigue setting in and thought it wise to take him off rather than risk injury?

34 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

No idea why we gave him a new contract. L1 player at best.

Good thing it wasn't because of numerous calls on here for the club to do so.

Knowing OTIB many of those were posters now calling for him to be binned.

With the departure of James and King there were calls that the club must re-sign Williams because he would be the only experienced player in midfield. Sadly it appears that he failed to use that experience today.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Impressed with what I saw from Mayulu and Armstrong. Two potential beasts who will hopefully bully and unsettle defenders.

And O'Leary done well too to keep us in the game.

Williams' stupid and reckless challenge was similar to the gut-wrenching penalty given away by Callum O'Dowda at Barnsley a few years ago.

And after seeing his awful crosses, he needs to be replaced as corner-taker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Sinclair has been a right terror. Guessing you didn’t see much of Mayulu in preseason if you think he’s the saviour. 

Well I was there last week and in the 20 or so minutes he was on the pitch looked more likely to score than anyone else.

Quality finish today whilst everyone else couldn't hit a barn door.

I'll say it now, provided LM gives him minutes (preferably starts) he will score at least twice as many as Armstrong. There is something about him, seen it last week and again today.

Armstrong has his good bits with his strength but he doesn't score many, playing him up top on his own we're toothless.

10 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

That's the spirit...it was always going to be 1-1, some games you just know it, but this so City, apart from the Williams nonsense plenty to feel positive about, the obvious thing before and after this game we didn't have an inside forward, to feed off the scraps.

In the past these sort of players we had in abundance, it's not difficult to slot in this type of player, however I am confident we will soon.

Other than the stupid challenge by Williams, we performed well. We’re the better team away from home, no reason to get suicidal just yet. Armstrong and Fally will scare the bejesus out of defenders, our press made Hull look terrible. Hull aren’t terrible, but we made them look it. Was gently encouraged by what I saw for most of today. Max, Bird, Armstrong and Fally stood out for me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spudgun said:

Well I was there last week and in the 20 or so minutes he was on the pitch looked more likely to score than anyone else.

Quality finish today whilst everyone else couldn't hit a barn door.

I'll say it now, provided LM gives him minutes (preferably starts) he will score at least twice as many as Armstrong. There is something about him, seen it last week and again today.

Armstrong has his good bits with his strength but he doesn't score many, playing him up top on his own we're toothless.

I think we should persist with 60 minutes of Armstrong knackering centre halves out and, just when they are done in, send on Fally. I think a big part of the error for our goal was down to the fact that Armstrong ran that guy ragged for an hour. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

It wasn't ringrust imo.

The technical abilities of Knight and Williams are woeful at this level, but they make up for that in other ways.

But why the hell we have Williams taking all the corners and free kicks is beyond me. Surely we have better players than that who can deliver a ball past the first man ? Today was crap in that respect, even the commentator mentioned it.

It's of little consolation, but it could be worse 

Pompey twice came from behind at Leeds then took the lead in the 92nd minute, only to concede an equaliser in the 95th minute!

• Like 1

I thought we were really poor from set pieces aswell. This is why the more time that goes on I'm amazed we have got twine in. He not only knits it together and " unlocks " the door in that number 10 role but he instantly improves our set peices aswell so your getting 2 improvements there for the price of 1. Just utterly amazing we haven't filled that position it also means bird can play along side knight slightly deeper and Williams can move to the bench were here belongs! unfortunate about hirakawa though I think he will offer alot more then sykes who I don't rate what so ever.

Edited by BCFC31