IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

Just now, downendcity said:

It's of little consolation, but it could be worse 

Pompey twice came from behind at Leeds then took the lead in the 92nd minute, only to concede an equaliser in the 95th minute!

I'm going to try to cheer myself up by watching the Gas lose their first game of the season later.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mozo said:

Good to see 90% of your posts negative in gameweek 1 MDT Pete. Start as you mean to go on 😜

Totally agree that you can't dominate, create so many opportunities, then only convert the one, which let's be fair was a special finish from Fally.

So what is the problem? The intent was there. You can't blame Manning for trying to be controlling and cautious. 

We wanted a high press, we got it.

We wanted Sykes in his favoured position, we got it.

We wanted the new strikers to look dangerous, we got it.

It was execution. Some dreadful final balls from Sykes, Wells, Mehmeti, Knight and Williams.

Let's hope it was just ringrust.

Don’t think it’s at all negative to say we pressed excellently, but were embarrassingly wasteful in front of goal. Think that’s a pretty nailed on summation of the game. 

I still struggle to see where goals come from with the formation, same as last year. Need to find a way to have 2 central strikers imo. 

• Like 3

I know we all see things differently, but this from the Hull forum left me gobsmacked. 

McLoughlin and Jacob replaced soon hopefully and Bristol barely create a thing today. They were responsible for nearly all their chances today, they created **** all of their own doing today. We beat their press with relative ease if it weren’t for brain farts”

They lost the ball about 60% of the time they tried to play out from the back. The goal was from just such an instance. First half they troubled us twice with hoofs over the top which beat the press and set up danger. Second half, we turned them over constantly. 

Edited by Southport Red
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I think we should persist with 60 minutes of Armstrong knackering centre halves out and, just when they are done in, send on Fally. I think a big part of the error for our goal was down to the fact that Armstrong ran that guy ragged for an hour. 

I get what your saying, but after scoring a goal like that he's got to start for me.

IMO along with Wells possibly, he's the best finisher at the club (not counting Conway for obvious reasons). He should be starting after his last two performances.

42 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

2 points dropped against a poor side there for the taking in my opinion.

We need to sort out the wide areas and we’ll be much better

Can't wait for Hirakawa to be back, think he will be an improvement on one side at least.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'm going to try to cheer myself up by watching the Gas lose their first game of the season later.

Sounds like a plan Sleepy!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they went down this season.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Won't see him this side of the first International break I expect.

When is that?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Won't see him this side of the first International break I expect.

By which I mean Blackburn Away.

Fortunately there are only 4 League Games in August but Sykes still I haven't given up on

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, 42nite said:

Some pointing a finger at the referee???

I agree he got it wrong, he should have booked Williams for the wreckless challenge and sent him off with 2 yellows.

That was all Stroud got wrong!

You forgot the drop ball when the ball cannoned off him plus at least another Hull player should have got a yellow card for their challenge on Armstrong

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Sounds like a plan Sleepy!

But as I'm flying back to the UK from Nairobi this evening, it's a plan I will give a miss! :D

Good passage of play I thought today, decision making poor in final 3rd, good signs of what’s to come though. Sincs, Fally, Bird done really well for first outing. Trust the process with LM signs of a good team he’s building, and good connections on the pitch. Yu McCorie Atkinson and Twine hopefully to come in, be positive people 44 games to go! 

Edited by HengroveReds
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

You forgot the drop ball when the ball cannoned off him plus at least another Hull player should have got a yellow card for their challenge on Armstrong

I'm so sorry.

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

Can’t beat a team like how Hull are playing??? WTF are some people on???? We’re not Man City FFS!! 🤣

How come, whenever City play reasonably well, it always seems to be because the opposition were poor? Why wasn’t it also about how well we pressed and took it too them?

This is a thought I generally go along with. 

But today, Hull and their incomplete squad were actually terrible. 

We were decent but in the final third against a dreadful defence we struggled and were going to need to do improve a lot when we come up against decent defences. 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Don’t think it’s at all negative to say we pressed excellently, but were embarrassingly wasteful in front of goal. Think that’s a pretty nailed on summation of the game. 

I still struggle to see where goals come from with the formation, same as last year. Need to find a way to have 2 central strikers imo. 

No, I meant your posts in general in the thread but only teasing.

I don't see how the formation is an issue? We created so many opportunities to create and score goals, we just didn't execute. If Sykes plays to his potential we win the game.

• Robin 1

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We were decent but in the final third against a dreadful defence we struggled and were going to need to do improve a lot when we come up against decent defences. 

I do agree that we should have been better in the final 3rd (clearly!!!), but Hull actually defended okay when we actually attacked them. It was playing out that they were terrible at.

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

No, I meant your posts in general in the thread but only teasing.

I don't see how the formation is an issue? We created so many opportunities to create and score goals, we just didn't execute. If Sykes plays to his potential we win the game.

They created more big chances than us and they had a higher xG. 

Only just getting the chance to post and haven’t caught up with the rest of the thread.

For me it’s definitely two points dropped sadly, rash challenge from Williams and I do wish that it’s something he could get out of his game.

Max earned his money again but sadly his kicking doesn’t seem to have improved.

The big physical man up top certainly worked better for the way LM wants to play but our composure, decision making and final ball really need to improve.

For me I thought it was more positive than some of the football we’ve seen last season and we should be on three points in the table.

As an aside, Hull had better improve their playing out from the back or they will concede plenty more goals this season of their own making.

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I wouldn't go as far as terrible. They weren't great although still caused problems a few times and Max did well to keep them out. The main issue I had was that it always felt every one of our players were too scared to shoot so would just make another pass to someone else,who would do the same thing until eventually the chance was gone.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Regarding the potential second yellow for Williams, doesn`t that come under the double jeopardy thing? If the penalty is given he doesn`t get booked unless it`s dangerous play?

Not sure if that is the case with 2nd yellow but would be the case for a straight red certainly.

I think people are trying to be contrarian though as that was never in a million years worthy of a booking anyway.

• Thanks 1

Strange game. Won't be too many like that because Hull play some absolute bonkers kamikaze stuff and we exploited it with a decent press.

The lads just need to take a touch and not think too much when we get into good areas out wide and running at players. Too many times the pass or cross was too easy to cut out. 

Fally instinctive turn and shot, wonderful technique. 

Both strikers did well today with the time they had and that's a big positive.

When we had to reset and go back the midfield was fine, and even the first pass through midfield and forward was okay. It was the choice afterwards which killed us today.

Back four calm like usual and glad that remains a constant.  

The open game didn't suit Williams who struggled and Knight had good and bad moments. Bird did fine off Armstrong and can't fault his efforts, the players need to give it to his left foot and not his right as it just sent us backwards.

Mehmeti and Sykes tried but the quality of run and delivery, really off it today. Too much overthinking.

One more thing, set pieces were not good today. Keeper was first to way too many. 

I'm not upset with the result, just don't think we're going to come up against opposition who play such risky football too often, we need to capitalise when we do. Opportunity missed.

27 minutes ago, The Nest Egg said:

I wouldn't go as far as terrible. They weren't great although still caused problems a few times and Max did well to keep them out. The main issue I had was that it always felt every one of our players were too scared to shoot so would just make another pass to someone else,who would do the same thing until eventually the chance was gone.

Yes it did feel a little like we kept making that extra pass looking to walk the ball into the net. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fuber said:

Problem is it wasnt one man's moment of madness.

Poor decision making everywhere on the pitch. Knight was useless in possession at times, Williams was rash, Sykes poor.

Only thing I'd criticise was Manning taking Bird off and not Knight or Williams, who both looked off the pace on and off the ball for most of it.

Better decision making across the pitch and we're out of sight by 70 minutes, at least 2-0 up.

Agree Fuber.  Lots of unnecessary passes going astray, lack of concentration / cohesion in some of our play.

Id have taken Williams off at ht, and I don’t normally like thinking like that.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kit said:

Not sure if that is the case with 2nd yellow but would be the case for a straight red certainly.

I think people are trying to be contrarian though as that was never in a million years worthy of a booking anyway.

It clearly was. It was a mistimed challenge, leading with the arm. If it had been a foot on foot challenge rather than a shoulder on shoulder, it’s a yellow card every time when there’s a mistiming.

The Hull player won the ball, Williams was late and arriving at speed. He’s a very lucky boy.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree Fuber.  Lots of unnecessary passes going astray, lack of concentration / cohesion in some of our play.

Id have taken Williams off at ht, and I don’t normally like thinking like that.

Bring in a 10, whoever it might be, play Bird where he should be and Williams is a fill-in player. Atm we are literally experimenting in a position, that if filled correctly, will make a huge difference to our attacking play.

• Like 3

Did we really need to make defensive substitution just before their goal ?

We seemed pretty comfortable and imo would have seen the game out.

We lost concentration due to the stop in play and change of shape.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

It clearly was. It was a mistimed challenge, leading with the arm. If it had been a foot on foot challenge rather than a shoulder on shoulder, it’s a yellow card every time when there’s a mistiming.

The Hull player won the ball, Williams was late and arriving at speed. He’s a very lucky boy.

He’s a very lucky boy if he didn’t get grabbed round the throat in the dressing room afterwards 😂😂

• Haha 1

Set piece delivery was bloody woeful. Actually got some height and power in the side and dead ball delivery was poor. FALLY took his goal beautifully. Sincs and Birdy decent. Keith was Keith. Williams as a senior pro in the side should know better but booked in the first 15 minutes. Same old story of not capitalising when we are on top in games but that goes back to the Johnson Jnr era. We will get better and so will Hull.That’s my tuppenny’s worth!

Edited by Andrew Horsman
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Andrew Horsman said:

Set piece delivery was bloody woeful. Actually got some height and power in the side and dead ball delivery was poor. FALLY took his goal beautifully. Sincs and Birdy decent. Keith was Keith. Williams as a senior pro in the side should know better but booked in the first 15 minutes. Same old story of not capitalising when we are on top in games but that goes back to the Johnson Jnr era. We will get better and so will Hull.Thats my tuppenny’s worth!

I think that’s where most of my disappointment comes from today.  Not taking the 3 points against Hull.  They were as expected pre-match the proverbial “there for the taking”, and they tried to help us achieve that.

• Like 2

Disappointed not to win but apart from the first 15-20 minutes when hull has a couple of chances we were much the better team and dominated throughout. Definitely need better decision making around the box but I saw plenty of reasons to be encouraged and optimistic. 
IMO every player was at least a 6/10. 
Max, defence, Bird, Armstrong and Mayulu excellent   

we needed someone like szmodics in the first hour who could make himself a yard for an easy to collect pass.was shouting for williams to be subbed off after his booking,was always going to be a liability, especially being a bit off real match sharp

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Did we really need to make defensive substitution just before their goal ?

We seemed pretty comfortable and imo would have seen the game out.

We lost concentration due to the stop in play and change of shape.

I thought so, Mehmeti adds nothing defensively and had given away a free kick in a dangerous area just before he went off. I don’t think the goal was conceded due to a lack of concentration, it was just poor play I think.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andrew Horsman said:

Set piece delivery was bloody woeful. Actually got some height and power in the side and dead ball delivery was poor. FALLY took his goal beautifully. Sincs and Birdy decent. Keith was Keith. Williams as a senior pro in the side should know better but booked in the first 15 minutes. Same old story of not capitalising when we are on top in games but that goes back to the Johnson Jnr era. We will get better and so will Hull.That’s my tuppenny’s worth!

Spot on about the set piece delivery, we’ve got real threat in that area and not once did we capitalise on it.

Hopeully that will change as we tweet personnel 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, The turtle said:

Control... That awful football word that results in 0 shots on target this half. (Poor from bell as i write this)

The control is a mirage which hides the chaos football brings. This game has been poor on last 3rd quality, with all 3 results firmly on the table.

Edit. Lovely strike. I know nothing 

No, control used in the discussion of possession means that but the actual control of a game means you're playing your football and the other team is struggling to impose themselves.
At the point of this post we were in full control with Hull barely getting a hold of the ball, a massive step up from last season where we had very few spells like that. In terms of creativity, putting two men up front can help, no doubt about that,t but if it allows the opposition more space in the middle and then they grow into the game that's how you lose that control.

I thought we played some great football today, we also left ourselves defensively open for the counter but our biggest issue last season was actually imposing ourselves on the opposition, we did that today, now we just need to find the creativity in the middle to really create good chances.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

56 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

and i will add,

first public apology to BT, Fally was brilliant the way he took his goal. fair play Brian.you done well on that one

Fally has something about him, in fact he and Armstrong are good additions, thinking Twine along side either will be effective, we need more goals, obvs, if we don't sign a 10 we will be average, if we can get another two in we could be pushing top 6. 

Seen the pen, if I was Manning Williams would be dropped, hideously unprofessional given the time, all he had to do was shield the player, so frustrating. 

Harry could be off, reckon we can get some good news soon, but those two are a Harry upgrade, but like the player, shame it hasn't worked out, but no one really thought it would tbh. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

No, control used in the discussion of possession means that but the actual control of a game means you're playing your football and the other team is struggling to impose themselves.
At the point of this post we were in full control with Hull barely getting a hold of the ball, a massive step up from last season where we had very few spells like that. In terms of creativity, putting two men up front can help, no doubt about that,t but if it allows the opposition more space in the middle and then they grow into the game that's how you lose that control.

I thought we played some great football today, we also left ourselves defensively open for the counter but our biggest issue last season was actually imposing ourselves on the opposition, we did that today, now we just need to find the creativity in the middle to really create good chances.

Agree with the general point with regards to imposing ourselves more. 

My only caveat would be that Hull were short today and are expecting reinforcements, their fans were pessimistic, they played poorly in retaining possession and we still couldn't take advantage.

Think we need competition for Sykes and Anis. Sooner Yu is back the better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Limey said:

Armstrong and fally played well. Missing quality on the balls into them. Mehmetti, Sykes in particular. 

Where was Nelson to day?

30 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Fally has something about him, in fact he and Armstrong are good additions, thinking Twine along side either will be effective, we need more goals, obvs, if we don't sign a 10 we will be average, if we can get another two in we could be pushing top 6. 

Seen the pen, if I was Manning Williams would be dropped, hideously unprofessional given the time, all he had to do was shield the player, so frustrating. 

Harry could be off, reckon we can get some good news soon, but those two are a Harry upgrade, but like the player, shame it hasn't worked out, but no one really thought it would tbh. 

This is really positive. We didn't know what we were getting with these transfers. They've been described many times as punts and gambles, but they were our stand out players!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Fair point on control. I was scrolling and hadn't taken fully onboard your meaning 

And,  agree with you! In large parts, it was a good performance! It doesn't change the fact that we never tested their keeper for like 30 mins in the second half.  A combination of poor choices, and a bit too passive in front of goal.

Hull were also creeping back into the game post their subs; and it wouldn't have been shocking to see them score.

It took a goal out of nowhere, to score (chaos) and a penalty which was absolutely needless (chaos)

You're right - absolutely 2 up front could have let them back in. But sometimes you have to just be brave and go for it. Chase the win rather than hold what we have. There's no point in just going; well this has worked so far, and we can't risk that because of the possible negative side.  

In any event, he his subs led to a goal, so cap tipped.

I do hope we get to see fally just in behind Armstrong as a pair at some point though; and not just when chasing a game

5 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Spot on about the set piece delivery, we’ve got real threat in that area and not once did we capitalise on it.

Hopeully that will change as we tweet personnel 

No doubt Brian T will take care of this aspect 😉.

25 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Presumably, 'Tweak' 😉, but I understood perfectly, and agree entirely with what you were trying to say.

Spelling mistake ! Not happy 😡 

You should have just kept on going.

Tweet, then Tweek. image.jpeg.c794842f0595f18373f6059e56f4a579.jpeg.

You were bound to get it right in the end 😉.

Max kept us in the game early doors, too many misplaced passes from us, a moment of skill gave us a chance to bring home all the points until a mistake cost us a win against a poor Hull team.

Fallys goal reminded me of many scored by a certain Villa/England striker 😮

Edited by temp
  • Like 1

Have we mentioned a nice bit of skill from Mehmeti? He did a Zidane move to drag the ball away from the defender then rolled it into space and actually played an accurate pass afterwards. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is a good addition to the media stuff.

Worth a watch, good to get analysis like this from Leroy.

Excellent addition. Thanks for posting it. Leroy's analysis is really interesting.