IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

Sykes for Bell ok the right, one of Bell or Mehmeti on the left but probably that IMO.

Could you pick Cornick behind Armstrong ie reprising his role a Luton or perhaps even Bell or Meheti central behind Armstrong. Mehmeti the much more likely of the 2.

Giles + Millar vs Tanner and Bell potentially..hmm.

Just now, fly in the air said:

no Harry 

That’s the biggest news there. Considering he’s had minutes in a lot of pre season including Willem it indicates he was in the managers plans until sold. The fact he’s not on the bench suggests that might be imminent.

• Like 1

Knight in the position off Armstrong, urgh..

Need to take risks and go at teams, just reverting to type and sticking three midfielders in away from home, hope it works but not a fan of it.

Have a feeling the forward players are going to be very isolated.

Their new boys are on their bench. 

Feels like the subs are gunna be the ones who make the impact in the game for either side.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

At least Sykes isn't wingback or left wingback or something daft.

Knight possibly being  at 10 aside it looks broadly speaking like round pegs in round holes and if if is a 4-3-3ish then it is fully round pegs etc.

Surely it's a 4231 set up? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’s the biggest news there. Considering he’s had minutes in a lot of pre season including Willem it indicates he was in the managers plans until sold. The fact he’s not on the bench suggests that might be imminent.

As far as I’m aware, just happy to be on the fringes

1 minute ago, MythikRobins said:

Could also be Bird in the ten or it could be a 4-3-3 with Knight and Bird as two 8s.

I think they order of the listing hints at Knight being further forward.

3 in the middle you'd list them together, but we have Bird and Williams then it moves to Sykes on the right wing, Knight central and Mehmeti on the left.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Super said:

Rather him there than Wells.

don't think Wells had a bad game behind the striker in pre-season. 

Kind've understand playing a midfielder forward rather than a striker deeper in an away game. But would imagine if no signings before the home game next week it will be Wells.

Good to see Pecover on the bench, although thought the lad Raekwon was ahead of him. 

Very disappointed it looks like Knight is in the 10 spot. Was hoping we’d of picked our skipper in his most effective position. Out of interest, has he played there during pre-season?

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter

I’m always torn on Mehmeti, needs to improve his decision making as we miss opportunities sometimes when he doesn’t thread it through or quick enough around the box.

Be nice to see him be brave enough to tackle someone in a 50:50 as well. 

So much talent so fingers crossed this is his season he puts his jigsaw together and shines 

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The Gas need a striker.

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Could be injured?

14 hours ago, Kibs said:

A “favourable start” SD?

Turn it around, those favourable teams we are playing, what do you think they’re saying about playing us? I reckon they’re probably thinking, bang average Bristol City, decent chance of 3 points there. 

So, probably good that we’ve managed to avoid Leeds and Burnley, but so have most teams and other than that, it’s no more “favourable” a start than everyone else as far as I can see 😁

Edit: I’ve just realised my pessimistic outlook is returning before we’ve even kicked a ball 🤣

I think our start is incredibly favourable. These are our first 9 fixtures, and the positions those teams finished in last season:

1. Hull - 7th (but looking much weaker right now)
  2. Millwall - 13th
  3. Coventry - 9th (looking stronger this season)
  4. Derby - 2nd in League 1
  5. Blackburn - 19th last season
  6. Oxford - 5th in League 1
  7. Swansea - 14th
  8. Sheffield Wednesday - 20th (possibly looking stronger this season?)
  9. Cardiff - 12th

The average league finish of those sides last season was 17th in the Championship, so just inside the bottom third and just outside the bottom 6.

In total we face:

• 0 teams relegated from the Premier League last season
  • 0 teams who finished in the top 6 last season
  • 2 teams who finished in the top half last season
  • 3 teams who finished in the bottom half last season (excluding the bottom 6)
  • 2 teams who finished in the bottom 6 teams last season
  • 2 teams who were playing in League 1 last season

IMO, there's a strong argument to say that even a midtable Championship team (i.e. us) should be in/around the play-offs after 9 games with that kind of fixture list to start the season.

• Like 5

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Surprised by Pecover but also pleased after the suspicion last season that Manning was reluctant to include young players.

You can include them, the question will be playing them.  Although rather this than eight subs.  Imagine the other 7 outfield subs might be pissed off if he comes on ahead of them…unless it’s token 5 minutes with game win or lost type thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I think our start is incredibly favourable. These are our first 9 fixtures, and the positions those teams finished in last season:

1. Hull - 7th (but looking much weaker right now)
  2. Millwall - 13th
  3. Coventry - 9th (looking stronger this season)
  4. Derby - 2nd in League 1
  5. Blackburn - 19th last season
  6. Oxford - 5th in League 1
  7. Swansea - 14th
  8. Sheffield Wednesday - 20th (possibly looking stronger this season?)
  9. Cardiff - 12th

The average league finish of those sides last season was 17th in the Championship, so just inside the bottom third and just outside the bottom 6.

In total we face:

• 0 teams relegated from the Premier League last season
  • 0 teams who finished in the top 6 last season
  • 2 teams who finished in the top half last season
  • 3 teams who finished in the bottom half last season (excluding the bottom 6)
  • 2 teams who finished in the bottom 6 teams last season
  • 2 teams who were playing in League 1 last season

IMO, there's a strong argument to say that even a midtable Championship team (i.e. us) should be in/around the play-offs after 9 games with that kind of fixture list to start the season.

11-14 points would be a replica of last season for those. Gone back and tried to extrapolate.

The question is how do you weight the newly promoted and repeated sides..We took 1 point at Birmingham, lost at Home. Draw Home and Away v Huddersfield, beat Rotherham Home and Away.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 minutes ago, bcfcape91 said:

Frustrating to see Knight as a 10 again, of course. Could be Liam making a point, or just getting his best players on the pitch.

We've not seen Knight as a 10 with Bird behind him so let's see how it plays out.

Maybe Bird at 10 and knight with Williams as the 2.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

That seems like round holes and square pegs again to some extent but we shall see.

Personally I think that's a good line up considering our options. Pleased to see Sykes starting 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Good to see Pecover on the bench, although thought the lad Raekwon was ahead of him. 

Thought Raekwon looked more effective than Sam Bell, unlucky not to be on the bench imo. Maybe saving him for the cup game?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

Not even kicked a ball of the season 🤣

The points a valid one. However, it’s still looks a strong 11 and one that should have too much for Hull who look awfully unprepared. 

Just now, Jose said:

The points a valid one. However, it’s still looks a strong 11 and one that should have too much for Hull who look awfully unprepared. 

Yeah, i know the point he's trying to make - we all do. But we can only play thebplayers we have. At least wait for the game to start and get a view of how it plays out before the moaning starts. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The formation on the whatsapp page has Bird at 10

Screenshot_2024-08-10-11-59-13-96_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

It also has Sykes on the right and Mehmeti on the left which would be at odds with what Liam has been trying through pre-season.

• Like 1