IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

11 minutes ago, Ian M said:

It also has Sykes on the right and Mehmeti on the left which would be at odds with what Liam has been trying through pre-season.

Mehmeti was on the left or centre left in the Cheltenham game and Sykes scored from the right.

18 minutes ago, Ian M said:

It also has Sykes on the right and Mehmeti on the left which would be at odds with what Liam has been trying through pre-season.

No it wouldn’t be at odds with those full backs.

They were on the other sides when the full backs were McCrorie on the right (attacking) and young Campbell on the left (defensive)

21 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I think our start is incredibly favourable. These are our first 9 fixtures, and the positions those teams finished in last season:

1. Hull - 7th (but looking much weaker right now)
  2. Millwall - 13th
  3. Coventry - 9th (looking stronger this season)
  4. Derby - 2nd in League 1
  5. Blackburn - 19th last season
  6. Oxford - 5th in League 1
  7. Swansea - 14th
  8. Sheffield Wednesday - 20th (possibly looking stronger this season?)
  9. Cardiff - 12th

The average league finish of those sides last season was 17th in the Championship, so just inside the bottom third and just outside the bottom 6.

In total we face:

• 0 teams relegated from the Premier League last season
  • 0 teams who finished in the top 6 last season
  • 2 teams who finished in the top half last season
  • 3 teams who finished in the bottom half last season (excluding the bottom 6)
  • 2 teams who finished in the bottom 6 teams last season
  • 2 teams who were playing in League 1 last season

IMO, there's a strong argument to say that even a midtable Championship team (i.e. us) should be in/around the play-offs after 9 games with that kind of fixture list to start the season.

Thats cool 😎 

I get the perspective you’re coming from but I’ll respectfully agree to disagree, for a few reasons.

In the Championship, I’m not convinced that last season has too much baring on the early fixture this season and It wouldn’t shock me to see almost any of those mentioned finish in or close to the top 6 for example.

The start of a season always throws up a wide variety of results.

We’ve come up short in early games against newly promoted teams before, they’re usually high in confidence and difficult games. 

Finally, how often in the Championship over the last few years have you looked at a run or fixtures and thought there’s points to be had here - and we’ve failed. Conversely, we’ve had a run of on paper, tougher games, and picked up a good return. Happens all the time. We seemed to be great at it under Nige - take points where we weren’t expected to, drop points where fans “expected” us to win. 

So I personally think it’s too simplistic to simply look at league positions from last season when everyone is essentially resetting. 

I’m pleased we’ve avoided Leeds and Burnley because I can’t remember the last time we beat one of them!!! 

• Flames 1

Nobody seems to be considering the possibility that Mehmeti might be the one playing behind the striker, which is surprising, given that a number of people on OTIB have suggested he could fit the role.

I’m not saying advocating it, by the way. I don’t think Anis has the football brain or the decision making capability to be effective there, but as I say, there are those who do.

There are multiple ways that team could line up. Let’s wait and see how it works before criticising, shall we? Or am I being too reasonable?

I'd give anything for us to play in one touch sometimes. No need for Cam to take that touch and to compound it with a poor pass could have cost us. 

Good play down the right from Bird and Sincs should have probably made better contact.

Reasonable start