IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Who should he bring on though? I think the problem is we don't really have the type of player we need on right now sat on the bench.

I’d give it 15 then bring on Wells. Played well in the 10 pre season and his composure can capitalise on the good work of Armstrong 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Williams has been absolutely litter

Williams is good when screening the back 4 almost acting as an extra defender in midfield but his first touch passing ability awareness lack of pace in transition and composure on the ball really let's him down for me. 

Edited by BCFC31

Our press is our creative element.  Again, too laborious in open build-up play.

Two very good saves from O’Leary, thankfully.

Need Bird in CM, wasted as a 10.

Armstrong good half.

Sykes poor.

Pring can be more adventurous against Coyle.  Go at him.

Mehmeti not involved with much of our play on the right, but better as he got more involved in that’s 15 of half.

Williams bit of a beast of a game at times.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Spudgun said:

Pish up front and the one guy who knows where the goal is on the bench.

Get Mayulu on FFS.

Sinclair has been a right terror. Guessing you didn’t see much of Mayulu in preseason if you think he’s the saviour. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kidjupiter said:

I watched the early preseason games when Wells looked great in the 10 role - did he have a shocker in a later game or is Manning more concerned with the press?

My guess is it is because we are away from home against a team that did well last season and Manning feels that it makes more sense to have Knight or Bird in the role for those games as they can become an extra midfielder.  I’d have gone Wells though. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Armstrong has done really well. Williams, Knight and Sykes all wasteful and extremely frustrating to watch.

7 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I think we have pinged the ball round well, looked confident, pressed well, shape has been good and are the better team…until we get near their box. Really like Armstrong. It’s ended with Max being the one who has made the better saves.

5 minutes ago, Malago said:

We look really well coached. Team working well as a unit, particularly the press which has been fantastic.  However, we lack moments of individual quality.  

Agree with each of these.

The good thing is City look the better side in general.

Just frustrating that we're not showing more quality around the box.

The press has been good.
Armstrong looks a beast , needs support as all those up front have made poor choices.
Max has been, well Max.
There have been a couple that look a little off, but even though Sykes bad touch cost a good chance at goal, the link up down the right and through him has been good.
We have to start shooting. They just showed highlights where we are trying to "thread the needle" with passes into a packed box. Smash one and we might get lucky.

I don't see a need for subs yet , we are very much in this and more than holding our own. 
Bit more quality around the edge of the box and we might be able to nick it.

I imagine they will be a bit wary of Armstrong now , might sit deeper. If they don't that through ball could be a real weapon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

How on earth have you come to this conclusion. He’s barely had a touch in the game and when he has he made the wrong decisions 

Agree. Typical being the instance where he did well to read the pass out and win the ball, only to try a mid-height shot from a narrow angle, instead of cutting the ball back for Bird who would have had a great chance to score.

2 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

How on earth have you come to this conclusion. He’s barely had a touch in the game and when he has he made the wrong decisions 

Barely had a touch, really?

He has not done a lot with it but has had the ball a lot.

Just wish he would take the full back on.

5 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Our wide play and the speed really lets us down. We’re having to play so narrow up top because we can’t beat a man and deliver a cross into the danger area.

Hull had that break and a whipped cross put City in trouble instantly and it was a point blank save from Max to keep us at 0-0. Max really starting to look like a very impressive keeper.

If we can beat a man and get crosses in Armstrong will be a real menace because of his sheer strength. We don’t seem to have learned anything about our problems last season up top.

Ryan Giles is the best crosser of a ball in this division and we need to try and keep the ball away from him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

That was a bore, come on City

Really , you best start watching Liverpool Arsenal or Man City then , 

Shot shy agree but thought we played some decent stuff , certainly not a bore 

• Like 1

Just now, redkev said:

Really , you best start watching Liverpool Arsenal or Man City then , 

Shot shy agree but thought we played some decent stuff , certainly not a bore 

I agree we put it about nicely, just need to shoot, need to be more exciting 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Conway..would he have scored any of these chances or would we have lost out in other areas.

Conway never looked fully at home on his own up-front. That said, whilst I understand him not being involved pre-season, I would be using him in the squad for competitive games for as long as he remains here.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Pitch is terrible, no substance beneath the top.  Players cannot change directions without slipping.

I was thinking this & wondered if it was just me or the camera playing tricks.

The ball seems to be slowing up alot, rather than zipping around.

Several times I've thought a pass has been over hit, only to slow up & not run away.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Our press is our creative element.  Again, too laborious in open build-up play.

Two very good saves from O’Leary, thankfully.

Need Bird in CM, wasted as a 10.

Armstrong good half.

Sykes poor.

Pring can be more adventurous against Coyle.  Go at him.

Mehmeti not involved with much of our play on the right, but better as he got more involved in that’s 15 of half.

Williams bit of a beast of a game at times.

I've quite enjoyed some of the build up play, particularly from deeper

everything else agreed!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Williams with hopeless shot way over the bar, he has been pretty cr@p so far.

TBF he received a short 5 yard pass onto his left foot.

Poor all round.

Just now, Malago said:

I think they play Rugby League on it during the summer.

Yes, both Hull and Hull KR so this time of the season it get's more wear than in the Winter months.

2 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Imo we should get Naismith & Wells on & not wait untill it's too late....

Where would we bring on Naismith? Hull has made it clear that they like to attack with pace, I'm not sure bringing on a man who lacks pace at the best of times is a good idea, let alone when he's still not match-sharp.
I still find it odd that Mehmeti has never been given a chance in the middle, he can be tricky to get off of the ball, he just tries to hard to get into a shooting positon but if he were in the middle he'd not have to travel so far to get a shot off and that's what we're lacking right now, someone willing to pull the trigger. I'd quite like to see Bell come on for Williams, move Bird into Williams spot, Bell on the left, Mehmeti in the middle where he'd be a nuisance and if Mehmeti was struggling just bring on Wells for Mehmeti.

Manning knows what he wants, I just find it odd having a player like Mehmeti who looks like he'd suit a narrow wide position or central advanced position better and just leaving him on the wing where he'd too wide to cut in and get a shot off which is what he does so well.

A decent half. Nice effective ball in channel work. Earning the right to play in correct areas 

Hard to tell how much was down to us being good, and them being poor? Most of good stuff came from the press and nicking it - some were pretty comical from them though!!

Still so laborious in possession though

1230ko.... That stadium sounds absolutely dead

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

So far I have seen calls to bring off Sykes, Mehmeti, Williams and Armstrong at half time. That is a lot of subs. 

Armstrong is a bad call, he's the reason Hull are panicking at the back a lot, he's working damn hard and causing problems. Sykes hasn't played bad, he's just playing the tactics he's been told to, only reason to take him off would be a few bad crosses. Mehmeti isn't playing bad either, just gets the ball very wide and you can see he wants to come into the middle which is why I said I'd give him a chance there. Williams... yeah he needs to go off, worst player on the pitch by a considerable amount atm.

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

With the quality of final ball and around the edge of the box in general you can see the Twine shaped hole in the starting 11

Putting aside the fact Williams has had a shocker, who do you drop to fit Twine in? 

But ultimately he's not our player and he didn't make a huge difference when on loan here. 

People keep laying into Mehmeti but the bloke di nothing wrong there, he made the run, he got the ball into a dangerous area and the thing that was wrong was we had no-one looking for that pass. Asa the commentator said "Only Amber an black shirts in the box".

• Like 1