IGNORED

Classic city. Early thoughts

Will the trend of giving away stoppage time goals end? I’d have taken a point but now it feels like a loss. 

We can’t cross the ball and playing out from the back will lead to a lot of cheap goals being given away when we play teams that press. Could be another long season….

Joe Williams - there was no danger, let the man win it. He’s lucky he stayed on the pitch after a needless booking on only 11mins. Buck up your ideas

Max - Superb, kept us in it first half

Fally - great finish, encouraging 

Armstrong - another positive. Powerful player.

Need a 10 to pick that key pass

• Like 3

Was a bit of a gift to play that Hull side first game of the season with all the players they’ve lost. Millar and Burns signed too late to start.

Add in all the missed chances and embarrassingly wasted opportunities and I feared we wouldn’t be able to take advantage.

Brilliance from Fally almost saved the day before Joe Braindead Williams ruined it for all of us with another moment of stupidity.

If we continue to need a million chances for our toothless attack to score and continue to gift goals like the one today with idiotic decision making then I can’t see how we can reach the apparent club target of the playoffs again this season, our tenth in a row in this league.

One player cost us 3 points and let the team down. Our wide players are poor and Nelson should be screaming to get an opportunity.

Missing a creative number 10.

Both strikers looked good in different ways, but my god they need better service. Same problem as last season and hasn’t been addressed 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

This stoppage time goals thing wasn't really much of a thing last season under Nige. Happened once vs Stoke City. Plus at Cardiff when pushing.

Vs Norwich, Millwall, penalty albeit inconsequential v Southampton off the top of my head.. would have to look at all 46 Games to analyse.

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

For the first game of the season I thought we did well,we all know Williams is a accident waiting to happen regarding silly fouls,all in all a good solid performance 

Maybe with Yu and Twine in the team but we don’t appear close to landing Twine or any kind of creative player and Yu is a hope as he’s an unknown quantity.

We don’t create, that’s the sum total of it. We got a goal from some individual brilliance which we can’t really rely on week in week out. 

defence always seems solid but max has kept us in that make no mistake, we nearly made some big errors trying to play out.

It’s a good result but I wouldn’t say it inspires confidence 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This stoppage time goals thing wasn't really much of a thing last season under Nige. Happened once vs Stoke City. Plus at Cardiff when pushing.

Vs Norwich, Millwall, penalty albeit inconsequential v Southampton off the top of my head.. would have to look at all 46 Games to analyse.

That’s quite a lot….

3 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

That’s quite a lot….

Two were inconsequential, more under Manning than NP.

We also scored a stoppage time winner at Millwall and I think Conway (who) winner at Rotherham maybe was stoppage time?

I'll check the 46 on Wiki later.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Two were inconsequential, more under Manning than NP.

We also scored a stoppage time winner at Millwall and I think Conway (who) winner at Rotherham maybe was stoppage time?

I'll check the 46 on Wiki later.

I’d be interested to see the numbers vs others since we got back to champ. Seems like a very city type of trait

• Like 1

The 12 minutes after half time were as dominating one sided display as I can remember seeing. When Hull did win it back we won possession seconds later, it really was impressive.

Except our inability to get the ball in the net. Maybe we need the majority of next week’s training sessions to be spent in the opposition box.

• Like 3

New season. Same frustration. 

Negatives

We didn't score several times against a poor side that couldn't stop giving us possession

Our wide/creative players compared to the top sides in the division are poor.

Obviously Joe's reckless challenge (really hope we didn't see a player playing for a new contract last season)

Short corners. Never want to see another one ( unless there is some sort of plan to it of course, which are ones don't have)

Positives

Armstrong has real potential 

Aside from the wide players, we look solid.

The press and organisation looked good.

Squad depth better.

Max O 

Fally goal

Overall, I just feel our forward players lack football intelligence.  They did all the hard work and then threw it away in the final third, every time.

1 minute ago, Jimbo76 said:

Overall, I just feel our forward players lack football intelligence.  They did all the hard work and then threw it away in the final third, every time.

Nothing new there of course. More time on the grass needed I expect. 😉

32 minutes ago, Jose said:

Absolutely nothing has changed from last season. Look good in spells, sloppy at times and absolutely comical in the final third. 

That’s wrong imo. For much of last season we were awful, a four month spell in fact. To the point where Liam had to revert the tactics to what the players knew in the end. Today doesn’t prove anything but it was not the same as what we were watching last season…when I for one was ******* off after an hour of home games and I wasn’t the only one.

• Like 2

Like many would’ve taken the point before the game but the way things transpired it’s two dropped and feels like a loss. 

Some positives clearly like Fally and Sinclair but also the same issues as last season at times. 

32 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

One player cost us 3 points and let the team down. Our wide players are poor and Nelson should be screaming to get an opportunity.

Both strikers looked good in different ways, but my god they need better service. Same problem as last season and hasn’t been addressed 

Tinnion needs to take accountability. 

1 hour ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Always easier to criticise rather than be positive, but I thought our pressing and winning the ball back was superb. Which is in contrast to what we done with the ball after that

Agree, although jeez, did Hull play themselves into trouble.  Accidents waiting to happen.  So disappointing we didn’t punish them, bar Fally’s goal.

Our build-up play is so lacking in dynamism though.  Other sides won’t concede pressing chances like Hull did today.

A couple of players will be hoping they get another opportunity on Tuesday because there must be question marks as to whether they deserve it.

I’ll take a point, but gutted it wasn’t three.  Lessons on closing out a late lead to be taken onboard.  Dickie got caught wrong side, then didn’t do enough to stop the cross.  Then Williams….😡

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, although jeez, did Hull play themselves into trouble.  Accidents waiting to happen.  So disappointing we didn’t punish them, bar Fally’s goal.

Our build-up play is so lacking in dynamism though.  Other sides won’t concede pressing chances like Hull did today.

A couple of players will be hoping they get another opportunity on Tuesday because there must be question marks as to whether they deserve it.

I’ll take a point, but gutted it wasn’t three.  Lessons on closing out a late lead to be taken onboard.  Dickie got caught wrong side, then didn’t do enough to stop the cross.  Then Williams….😡

The right intent though Dave?

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

So I wish Williams had left in summer. He’s a liability and we had a chance to get rid. 

I have never been williams biggest fan he seemed to start upping his game to win a contract before those last few months of the season he was crap and today he seems to have gone back to being crap again.

Always amazed at how bad we are at seeing a game out. Absolutely no time wasting, fake injuries, nothing. 89/90 mins Bell was played in down the left. Does he hold onto the ball to try andcdraw a foul or win a cheap throw in? No he smashes it first time across the box straight to a defender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mozo said:

In other ways?

Rather “samey” imho.

Thought we got a bit caught in behind our full-backs today.  Dickie left exposed (Fnar, Fnar) a few times in last 20 mins.  Thought Tanner did pretty well 1v1 with Miller, but too often he had too much space.

Edited by Davefevs

3 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Being pedantic he cost us 2 points, agree with everything else though.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Always amazed at how bad we are at seeing a game out. Absolutely no time wasting, fake injuries, nothing. 89/90 mins Bell was played in down the left. Does he hold onto the ball to try andcdraw a foul or win a cheap throw in? No he smashes it first time across the box straight to a defender.

Wilbs and Matty Taylor, that's who we needed: the latter to carry it over to the corner flag, the former to keep it there

• Like 1

The real conclusion will be determined after another 5 or 6 games as this will identify the strength of the opposition City faced today. 

• Like 2