IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday to ban supporters wearing fake shirts

28 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

It’s not illegal to buy them anywayb

No it's not. So the 'any information passed on to relevant parties' is a stupid scare tactic.

But if Sheff Weds are passing on personal info under these circumstances, they'd be in breach of GDPR.

27 minutes ago, 22A said:

If I enter Hillsborough with fake Gucci and Rolex products will I be asked to leave?

No, but you will be asked to leave Ashton Gate if you rock up in a legit O'Neill's city home shirt as they look like garbage market stall quality 😂😂

Edited by McNasty Filth
  • Haha 1

On 10/08/2024 at 17:34, BasSavage88 said:

It’s not illegal to buy them anywayb

On 10/08/2024 at 18:07, Sleepy1968 said:

No it's not. So the 'any information passed on to relevant parties' is a stupid scare tactic.

But if Sheff Weds are passing on personal info under these circumstances, they'd be in breach of GDPR.

I don’t know about buying them, but it’s obviously illegal to produce/sell them in certain circumstances - I assume if they use things like the badge or the kit manufacturer logos.

https://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/news/city-of-london/news/2024/july/eight-arrested-and-100000-of-fake-football-shirts-seized-as-police-tackle-counterfeiting-during-euro-2024/
And there would be plenty in the GDPR that might allow Wednesday to pass on those details provided they were clear what they were doing and why. GDPR doesn’t stop anyone passing on personal details, they just have to have a reason and tell you they’re doing it.

Whether they should/need to is another matter! And it’s a bit ironic coming from a club that used to have ads for (allegedly!) a fake taxi firm plastered all over their ground as a way round FFP! 

Edited by italian dave
  • Thanks 1

Well, they can **** right off with that. Jesus wept, talk about siding into authoritarianism.

Perhaps if you didn’t charge a king’s ransom for a sh*tty piece of fabric made in Bangladeshi sweatshop that has a shelf life of about sixteen minutes there wouldn’t be a market for counterfeit merch.

Instead of throwing loyal fans out of the grounds why don’t you greedy bastards (and that goes for all clubs, inc. our own) undercut these unscrupulous counterfeiters by charging a reasonable sum for your Kappa shirts with an ugly corporate logo emblazoned on the front? 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

Sort of related, but my son just informed me that our beloved Green Bay Packers kick off their NFL season in a couple of weeks in…Brazil. Both they and opponents Philadelphia play in green and both banned from wearing said green because the stadium’s football (round ball football that is) wear green. Is that why Grasshoppers Zurich have never played Blackburn at Ashton Gate?

Edited by WessexPest

On 10/08/2024 at 16:27, Davefevs said:

Who read it all the way to the end?

image.thumb.png.ac60317ade2e42339c032b5c1b516932.png

So would this be another stunt by there owners? Shirt sales not gone well? Unless I've missed it I take it they still have the same owners that sacked Moore.

52 minutes ago, Street red said:

So would this be another stunt by there owners? Shirt sales not gone well? Unless I've missed it I take it they still have the same owners that sacked Moore.

Yes they have the same owner who  as @Owl Visiting will doubtless confirm..

*Failed FFP.

*Used Sponsors of questionable reality in his early days.

*Solid The Stadium but not in time for Point 1..Earning them-12, halved on Appeal but still sent them down.

*Sacked Moore.

*Potentially priced out Corporate so I read on their forum.

*Has or had utterly exorbitant Matchday Prices.

*Looked at some of their ST Prices earlier- costly!

*Ranted in a Press Conference last year about Carlton Palmer!?

*Said the fans should chip in for a tax bill last Autumn.

Yep he inherited a lowish coat base and relatively low losses, lower midtable Championship. He is better than Mel Morris but by how much?

• Like 2

On 10/08/2024 at 14:16, northsomersetred said:

It's interesting that their website states that the counterfeit products are inferior.

I can understand their position on not numbering counterfeit shirts, but imo, a lot of ' fake' products are manufactured in the same factories, using the same materials and machinery. 

I know this happens from a former business aquentance. Who dealt with the clothing industry in Asia. So much goes ' out the back door'. 

You've only got to look at Turkey where a blind eye is shown to so many businesses selling fake products. They don't even try to hide it. Last time I was in Marmaris there was a shop called Genuine Fakes 🙈😂

Go around the bizzares there...it's pretty much all fake. And often very good quality. 

I spoke to one of the shop owners who was selling Canada Goose items for a quarter of what they are here. You couldn't tell any difference. He said he exported them to many ' businesses ' in the UK. 

As far as I know...it's not illegal to buy it. 

Just illegal to sell it. 

11 hours ago, Street red said:

Sacking Moore was the best decision for the club.

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He seems to have struck gold with Rohl all told, but better than 2 points 10 Games and a handful of Goals?

Or was Moore wanting some kinda unsustainable spending spree?

Moore wanted a bumper contract for him and his staff.

We went for Rohl last summer but he was still under contract to the German national side but it was becoming clear he would be on his bike with Hansi Flick so we went for Xisco on a month by month deal apparently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ultimately the clubs need to take some responsibility here. I just took a look on Wednesday's website and their shirt is £69 - £77, a kids' shirt is £60 and a baby or toddler's full kit is £60 too.

If you're even just one parent with two kids wanting to support the team then you're spending £197 to do things legitimately, on top of the season ticket and any other costs - and that's assuming you don't want shirt numbers.

Of course, clubs need a revenue stream through merchandise but ultimately, if you set the price point too high - especially a northern club with the north-south divide in wealth being as it is in the UK - then you have fans who are priced out but still want to support the team. I totally get nobody "should" be buying counterfeit merch but I can't help feeling that clubs could avoid some of the problem and still make a profit by setting the margins a little lower. 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

You're poor and can't afford a £70 replica shirt. You aren't welcome in.

Amazing how we can make the leap from ‘you can’t get in with a counterfeit shirt’ to ‘you can’t get in unless you’re wearing an official shirt’ in less than a page!!

Mind you, my recollection of recent visits to Hillsborough is that you need close on £70 to get in anyway!

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Amazing how we can make the leap from ‘you can’t get in with a counterfeit shirt’ to ‘you can’t get in unless you’re wearing an official shirt’ in less than a page!!

Mind you, my recollection of recent visits to Hillsborough is that you need close on £70 to get in anyway!

Eventually clubs will force fans to wear club merchandise before entering Grounds to just bleed more money from their supporters.

God I hate the ownership models in English football and genuinely wish we were more like Germany.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Last time I was in Marmaris there was a shop called Genuine Fakes 🙈😂

I remember being in Dubai many years ago and there was a shop called Honest Michaels. 

Honest it was not.....

• Haha 1

i remember maybe 20 years ago,working in a local garage where now and again, people would walk in with holdalls full of different fake sports gear,you placed your order and it turned up the following week. all good stuff but fake complete with all the logos etc.cheap as chips.

42 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Eventually clubs will force fans to wear club merchandise before entering Grounds to just bleed more money from their supporters.

God I hate the ownership models in English football and genuinely wish we were more like Germany.

No chance at City: the club shop would never keep up with demand!!

Seriously, yes, of course the price of shirts is simply rip-off territory. And yes, clubs bleed as much money as they can from us fans.

But at the same time us fans also demand success on the field, we demand multi million £ transfers every summer, we demand that our club pays the wages that will bring in the players we need.

And one club going against the grain puts themselves at a disadvantage when another club is coining the income through silly shirt prices etc.

And you’re right: the ownership model doesn’t help one jot: the German model does sound like it has a lot going for it….but of course that has to be a league-wide requirement or else it becomes an uneven playing field again.

We’ve got a new regulator coming, of course. It will be interesting to see how wide their remit is and how effective they’ll be. They could, potentially, have a significant impact on much of the above….but I’m not holding my breath. 

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

No chance at City: the club shop would never keep up with demand!!

Seriously, yes, of course the price of shirts is simply rip-off territory. And yes, clubs bleed as much money as they can from us fans.

But at the same time us fans also demand success on the field, we demand multi million £ transfers every summer, we demand that our club pays the wages that will bring in the players we need.

And one club going against the grain puts themselves at a disadvantage when another club is coining the income through silly shirt prices etc.

And you’re right: the ownership model doesn’t help one jot: the German model does sound like it has a lot going for it….but of course that has to be a league-wide requirement or else it becomes an uneven playing field again.

We’ve got a new regulator coming, of course. It will be interesting to see how wide their remit is and how effective they’ll be. They could, potentially, have a significant impact on much of the above….but I’m not holding my breath. 

Personally I expect sensible signings that will suit the style of football we are looking to play without expecting us to spend multi millions every summer. 

A good transfer window to me is sensible, adding to what you have without spending extreme amounts (Look at Chelsea).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Regulator wont be going anywhere near shirt prices. It also won't be amending the fundamental ownership model - ie a limited company with shares owned by whoever can afford it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Regulator wont be going anywhere near shirt prices. It also won't be amending the fundamental ownership model - ie a limited company with shares owned by whoever can afford it.

Just as well I’m not holding my breath then….!!

• The title was changed to Sheffield Wednesday to ban supporters wearing fake shirts
54 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Personally I expect sensible signings that will suit the style of football we are looking to play without expecting us to spend multi millions every summer. 

A good transfer window to me is sensible, adding to what you have without spending extreme amounts (Look at Chelsea).

Me too. But I’m not sure we’re representative of fans as a whole, and even the more reasonable of us (😏😂) get quickly critical if things start to go wrong…..and it’s often the perceived lack of investment that makes it’s way to the fore - see Cotterill’s demise or the “Scott money”.

There’s no guarantees in anything - as we well know - but what I think is undeniable is that the demands and the pressures for success and for instant success are huge nowadays - and from an owner’s point of view that can easily translate into the need to spend - if only to avoid failure.

I don’t like it, any more than you. But when even more reasonable clubs are spending as much on wages as their turnover then the pressure to extract maximum income from things like shirts is bound to be there.

And, end of day, (and back to where we started) shirts are optional: it’s things like ticket prices that are more of an issue for me. 

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Yep, can see in the future QR codes being attached to shirts and scanned as you enter by a big brother type of camera, or something of that ilk.

1 minute ago, McNasty Filth said:

Yep, can see in the future QR codes being attached to shirts and scanned as you enter by a big brother type of camera, or something of that ilk.

This is sadly what I foresee, but you'll be called a conspiracy theorist... 

What a joke that is. If you want people to buy your shirts, make them affordable and stop fleecing your fans.

The music business ultimately had to adapt to people stealing music through downloading by making it affordable and accessible. There are flaws with that model admittedly, but make it viable for fans to buy your shirts and then maybe you won't have to worry about knock-offs.

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

Yep, German shirt prices are so cheap! 

https://www.bvbonlineshop.com/en/jerseys-co/jerseys/6092/bvb-home-jersey-24/25?number=24920202-XL&c=24#744d755f5a835f92941da32322244e32

On 11/08/2024 at 15:11, WessexPest said:

Sort of related, but my son just informed me that our beloved Green Bay Packers kick off their NFL season in a couple of weeks in…Brazil. Both they and opponents Philadelphia play in green and both banned from wearing said green because the stadium’s football (round ball football that is) wear green. Is that why Grasshoppers Zurich have never played Blackburn at Ashton Gate?

A bit rubbish the other day! 

But hey preseason!