IGNORED

Team for Coventry tomorrow

BCFC1512

On 11/08/2024 at 21:29, 1960maaan said:

Whatever reason for it, 22k STH's is a great effort.

Be interesting how many changes both teams make. Just got my ticket , just want to have a look at the new guys and hoping to see another young lad make a debut.

1977 was one of my favourite away days, and was at the time probably only my 2nd or 3rd away game. 

Sorry for the late reply.  

I was 14, on my own. Bristol C travelled in numbers.  10?k.  Hence the late KO.  Nearly 37k in the ground?  The atmosphere was tense, but to me very focused on the game.  We were clinging on anyway.  We needed another result just to stick a chance of staying up.  Were we 2-0 up?  Updates came via people with transistor radios.  Gerry Gow always looked dangerous.  Don Gillies?     

Anyway,  I remember your equalizer.  Bump, we were going down if Sunderland equalised.  Then the scoreboard flashed up with the Sunderland score. But still time to play on.  Then the SUFC final score.   But am I right in remembering that there was a twist?  Scoreboard flashed up Correction…A silence hit the crowd.  The rest is history.  The teams seemed to have an agreement that they would not attempt an attack.  Both sets of fans seemed to have that 

Sunderland fans hate Jimmy Hill.  Didn’t matter to me at the time of course.  Now I think that it is about what teams do over the league season and it adds to the drama of our great football nation.

BTW, Last night was a take it or leave it situation.  I didn’t travel down to lose of course, but it’s the league games that count.  Who knows what will happen in 9 days time?  We need to up our game.  I saw City in friendlies.  If you’d have seen us against Everton W 3-0,  you would be puzzled as to how the team were a shade of that performance.

Neither team acquitted themselves well. 9 changes for us.  5 subs made the difference although you certainly should have been winning after all the chances you had in the first half. But, is this loss really that important anyway?

PS;  Needed to check this out.   just found this   My memory is not too bad? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_City_2–2_Bristol_City_(1977)

Edited by Sky Blue
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sky Blue said:

Sorry for the late reply.  

I was 14, on my own. Bristol C travelled in numbers.  10?k.  ( I've seen estimates up to 15k ) Hence the late KO (We got there just in time for kick off and our group of coaches weren't the last to leave our ground ).  Nearly 37k in the ground?  The atmosphere was tense, but to me very focused on the game.  We were clinging on anyway.  We needed another result just to stick a chance of staying up.  Were we 2-0 up? Yep  Updates came via people with transistor radios.  Gerry Gow ( A legend to City fans of a certain age) always looked dangerous.  Don Gillies? Yep.    

Anyway,  I remember your equalizer.  Bump, we were going down if Sunderland equalised.  Then the scoreboard flashed up with the Sunderland score. But still time to play on.  Then the SUFC final score.   But am I right in remembering that there was a twist?  Scoreboard flashed up Correction…A silence hit the crowd.  ( Don't remember that , we were stood under the scoreboard I believe , in the open end ?) The rest is history.  The teams seemed to have an agreement that they would not attempt an attack.  Both sets of fans seemed to have that 

Sunderland fans hate Jimmy Hill.  Didn’t matter to me at the time of course.  Now I think that it is about what teams do over the league season and it adds to the drama of our great football nation.

BTW, Last night was a take it or leave it situation.  I didn’t travel down to lose of course, but it’s the league games that count.  Who knows what will happen in 9 days time?  We need to up our game.  I saw City in friendlies.  If you’d have seen us against Everton W 3-0,  you would be puzzled as to how the team were a shade of that performance.

Neither team acquitted themselves well. 9 changes for us.  5 subs made the difference although you certainly should have been winning after all the chances you had in the first half. But, is this loss really that important anyway?

I think we suffered from almost non competitive friendlies . We played Wolves behind doors training game, Newport, Aldershot, Cheltenham and Exeter . Before the friendliest friendly possible , Willem II , I don't think there was a challenge. I do wonder if we are suffering from that now. We should have beaten Hull , even though we didn't force heir keeper to work that hard, then I thought we were better. Created a few chances but didn't take them , which was a step on from Hull where we got into great positions to be let down by bad choices/passes. 
It took one good pass & finish when you had fresh legs across the team, we sat and waited when Robins tried to shake things up. It's something that I don't like about Manning, reactive rather than proactive . 

Is the loss important ? In the grand scheme of things no, but we could have done with a run to bed the team in . We are still waiting for 1 or 2 new players including the mythical No.10 , so we don't know who will play or what shape we will use. Should be another good game though.

• Like 1