IGNORED

George Earthy - Season-Long Loan - CONFIRMED

jbcfc

1 hour ago, temp said:

The only thing that will propel us to the top of this league is for us to stop cashing in on our best assets and build around them, Coventry and Blackburn have each 2 of our "rejects" and both are likely top 6 finishers, Conway seems likely to be set for Boro another club destined for top six.

Cannot see that.

Szmodics will be gone when the window closes; and Blackburn are apparently short of money, so doubtful that much of his fee will be re-invested.

Szmodics kept them up last year, really don't see them as top six.

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, temp said:

Agree 100% we already had a better midfielder in A Scott we sold him off and having learned nothing we are about to do the same with Conway. This newbie from Whu maybe a decent footballer but will only cost us money and wont be here this time next year.

The only thing that will propel us to the top of this league is for us to stop cashing in on our best assets and build around them, Coventry and Blackburn have each 2 of our "rejects" and both are likely top 6 finishers, Conway seems likely to be set for Boro another club destined for top six.

We are sold hope in the shape of our unproven newbies if any do make their mark you can be assured we will cash in on them and start again next season, can folk not see a pattern to "the project, plan" round and around we go.

Just going to point out there's a balance to it.

Brentford sold assets when required (Maupay, Watkins, Benrahma) bur reinvested in the likes of Toney, M'Buemo, Schade, etc.

Selling high buying low meant they had the financial muscle to able to afford to keep the likes of Toney and fight off interest.

Our player trading has been no where near as successful due to the damage done under MA/LJ and not getting promoted, hence the cutting costs under NP.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Maybe I’m old fashioned but a bit crap that he has the number 40 shirt.

10, 15 & 25 are still all vacant, just seems silly seeing players with numbers that high on the pitch.

Considering the average age on here, maybe he’s already realised that “Life begins at 40”!

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Honestly I reckon some of you lot would react to someone winning the lottery by telling them not to get too excited because they're still going to die eventually.

Terminally joyless.

Chicken Licken is the fable of a little chicken that thinks that the world is coming to an end and runs about warning everyone that the sky is falling in on them after an acorn from an oak tree falls and hit him on the head. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Brentford sold assets when required (Maupay, Watkins, Benrahma) bur reinvested in the likes of Toney, M'Buemo, Schade, etc.

Selling high buying low meant they had the financial muscle to able to afford to keep the likes of Toney and fight off interest.

Our player trading has been no where near as successful due to the damage done under MA/LJ and not getting promoted, hence the cutting costs under NP.

Exactly, we tried the "let's throw some money about on players who are better than what we have" and it didn't work out for a variety of reasons. we are not trying to invest in players, improve them, sell them, invest in other players, improve them and there will be a stage where the whole squad will improve.

Unfortunately it is not a quick process and there will be failures or poor signings or players we don't get the best out, but it's just getting it right more often than not (which I think we just about are at the moment) and the club as a whole will progress.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Yes agreed.

There is a happy medium between the LJ/MA era and hoping we pull a Luton.

Reinvesting a greater proportion ie last August post the Scott sale would've been welcome. Let's see how it plays out at this time.

18 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Not that type of promotion. It was the buy a pint of Thatchers and get one half price type of promotion. 

🤣

What was missed off, is we've agreed to let them use their bubble machine at all future FA Cup and home league games 

5 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

**** it, let's just write off the season now.

We won't be going up or down so let's just tell the league to stick us on 60 points and let everyone else play their games.

Let everyone else experience the highs and lows of a season. 

In fact, let's just tell the EFL to do this every year to save us ever getting our hopes up or getting excited by potential signings.

After all, what's the point in allowing yourself to enjoy your hobby if there's a risk of it not going exactly how you want it to?

Hahaha. You’re spot on. Gotta wonder why we are such a negative fanbase. Mid table in championship boo hoo 😂

The comments on the likes of Cornick , bell etc on this forum are ridiculous at times -  with posters calling them names (dog poo)  and all that.
Whatever happened to get behind the team??? 

• Like 6

George Earthy is going to be something special.

As a WHU season ticket holder I got to see some glimpses end of last season.

Hes quick, his movement is insane and hes alwasy wanting the ball, laying off and making runs getting into space.

(Hes very small though!)

You guys are in for a treat :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, The chief said:

Hahaha. You’re spot on. Gotta wonder why we are such a negative fanbase. Mid table in championship boo hoo 😂

Midtable Championship is acceptable in one respect absolutely. In some senses we are where we are.

My counterpoint there is that if you don't push on you risk standing still which can lead to regression and secondly irrespective of that, do you and I don't mean in terms of even just spend although a slightly looser Transfer Policy would help.

Do you feel that we as a club are doing all that we can and hiring the best that we can (finance permitting) in all areas and striving at all times. It doesn't feel like it to me.

3 hours ago, 95red said:

So our season  expectations  are on a 19 Yr old probably  5th choice transfer option, well done Manning 👏 & he'll probably  put him out on the wing .

I think we need to watch him play and how the rest of the squad is shaped come 1st Sept.

His age is largely irrelevant, see Alex Scott.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Brentford pretty much always had the next player in the building, their succession planning was very good.

• Like 3

• Admin
11 hours ago, Spike said:

I've addressed 1 below, and with 2, I keep seeing people say this but there is no loan pecking order. 

Any self respecting club will have no influence from previous loan deals when they're looking to loan out a player. The focus will be on a few things, the first being will the player get the playing time they need from the club? The second will be "What does the club offer that the player will benefit from?". We may have fantastic facilities and have developed some great players but we've also had a lot of failures too, we've also had a lot of injuries, all of these factors will come into the planned loan. Then you have the finances involved and above all, the players choice. If a player is offered a move to Leeds, Coventry, Burnley or us I would be amazed if they chose us and their current club is hardly going to force them to come to us because another of their players came here and had a good experience.

I get that people want to see the positives in these kinds of deals but in our circumstance I don't see Earthy turning this team into a promotion chasing team, and he's very much unproven other than scoring a goal from 3 yards against Luton. 

I'll be interested to see if all the hype is real but if it is I don't expect to see him here next season, West Ham will either use him or he'll be sold off to a team with a lot more money than us if he had a good season and they chose to cash in, hell we seem to be struggling to get the Twine deal done so I don't see us competing financially for him if he has a great season. 

The only way we'll attract a higher caliber of player than we currently do is through getting promoted or having more money to spend on wages, which both in my personal opinion go hand in hand. With the changes in how we play and what I've seen in the opening two games he would have to be an outstanding talent to get us into a play off position. We're definitely playing more attractive to watch football but both Hull and Coventry looked dangerous when they hit us with pace on the counter, our defensive record won't be so good in this new style, that's inevitable, so we're looking likely to rely on us sorting goals, something in the opening two games we've looked unlikely to do, despite creating chances.

Earthy may turn out to be a great player, but he's not going to propel us into a promotion spot or help us to a play off win, the team as a whole needs a lot more work if that is to happen. 

Using Coventry from your example, didn’t they break their mould of being a lower to mid table side with 4 or 5 loans that propelled them to the play-offs? These loans also raised the profile of their own players (enabled them to succeed in their own right) which generated large fees that they were able to reinvest. And now they are an example of a team players would choose over us.

I’m ok with this loan if it does result in us finishing higher and having a similar affect, though the jury is out regarding re-investment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think we need to watch him play and how the rest of the squad is shaped come 1st Sept.

His age is largely irrelevant, see Alex Scott.

Brentford pretty much always had the next player in the building, their succession planning was very good.

Wait until September 1st? It's August 15th, it would be madness to give him that long. A draw or defeat on Saturday and the first Liam Out posts will appear on here.....100%.

Presumably underpinned by Brian and Jon in.......................and suggestions that Ryan Lowe is available..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Does anyone else get the urge to refer to him as girthy?

I was just worrying that the leadership didn't fully appreciate the implications of signing someone whose name ends naturally in a 'y'.

'Earthyy' is going to sound just like Earthy isn't it. Not much of a nickname.

So Girthy it is then.

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Maybe I’m old fashioned but a bit crap that he has the number 40 shirt.

10, 15 & 25 are still all vacant, just seems silly seeing players with numbers that high on the pitch.

Probably quite apt given the importance put on signing a number 10 in this window - 4x10 feels about right! 

10 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Just watched uncut of Earthys first day.. not a good sign our head of medical ‘I googled you last night, saw you had a head injury a while back, all recovered?’

surely they would know this info before hand 

Ha that pesky Dave Rennie eh...oh, wait. :)

6 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Chicken Licken is the fable of a little chicken that thinks that the world is coming to an end and runs about warning everyone that the sky is falling in on them after an acorn from an oak tree falls and hit him on the head. 

Any relation to Henny Penny ? 

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Using Coventry from your example, didn’t they break their mould of being a lower to mid table side with 4 or 5 loans that propelled them to the play-offs? These loans also raised the profile of their own players (enabled them to succeed in their own right) which generated large fees that they were able to reinvest. And now they are an example of a team players would choose over us.

I’m ok with this loan if it does result in us finishing higher and having a similar affect, though the jury is out regarding re-investment.

So it just depends on good professional management of the club .

:shocking:

7 hours ago, Pav-WHU said:

Hes quick, his movement is insane and hes alwasy wanting the ball, laying off and making runs getting into space.

(Hes very small though!)

A little treat?

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I was just worrying that the leadership didn't fully appreciate the implications of signing someone whose name ends naturally in a 'y'.

'Earthyy' is going to sound just like Earthy isn't it. Not much of a nickname.

So Girthy it is then.

Earths.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well I changed my tune a little but either way I wouldn't say it is full of miserable people.

I'd call it critique, analysis, vigorous debate personally.

Sombre...Reflective...Unhappy...Depressed...Heartbroken...Melancholy....

Many more that is being a City supporter.😔

21 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Earthy and Twine (should the latter join) is interesting.

Back to two 10s and a back 3, or Idk the two competing for the one place?

Yu- Earthy- Twine

Behind the striker?

Sounded almost like you were swearing at that poster……

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pav-WHU said:

(Hes very small though!)

Did Tins run the signing past Ian Gay first?

• Haha 2

On 15/08/2024 at 06:40, Jose said:

Does he start Saturday? He’s had a pre season, played some games. Massive ask for a young lad but we really need something in that final third.

don’t see why not - no one else in our squad can really do what he does to his level.

On 15/08/2024 at 09:32, The chief said:

Gotta wonder why we are such a negative fanbase.

i mean, i’ve been a city fan for over 20 years and seen us consistently fall short at this level. it was happening long before that as well. the last time we were in the top flight was 1980.

i think we feel like we deserve a go in the top flight, due to both the long wait and the size of the city. nothing in given in football though and we have to accept that we aren’t as desirable of a location as the other top championship sides who have had success a lot more recently than us or who can offer much bigger wages.

getting a lad like earthy is one of the better loans we could get. our recruitment over the past couple of seasons has been shrewd, taking top lower league talent and premier league players who have had loan experience at this level. baffles me how anyone could be negative at this moment in time.

we’ve got the playmaker we were after, we’re still in for twine and probably got the deepest squad we’ve had in years, coming off the back of a top half finish. up the city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Do we know what the loan fee is? Player like this it could well be into seven figures, I'd have thought... 

I've heard it was pie n mash up front mate, readies, a hundred grand, monkey, ten Lady Gadivas, two ponies, cock and hen and any other folding we could lay our 'ands on. Alan Wicker it was they was after. A right two and eight Tinns was in, trying to get this together.

Then they came back, bold as brass, asked for one more Ayrton Senna and Steve wanted to say: "Do one."

That's what I heard

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Good article

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/hes-buzzing-bristol-city-legend-9488113

On a side note wonder if Rob Newman will be doing more for city

I thought this earlier. Is he advising the club . Seems a bit of a leap from the players we were after before to ones were being linked with & signing now in terms going further afield . Yu , mayalu etc 

34 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I presume Earthy signed in the knowledge he would be back up to Twine, now we know we have both?

Or LM will be playing with 2 x number 10's ?

Midfield spoilt for choice all of a sudden.

18 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Do we know what the loan fee is? Player like this it could well be into seven figures, I'd have thought... 

Bloody hell Kid, this is the sort of question we are all asking you! If you don't know, the club/Tinns must have instilled a Mafia code of silence in the last few weeks. :)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Bloody hell Kid, this is the sort of question we are all asking you! If you don't know, the club/Tinns must have instilled a Mafia code of silence in the last few weeks. :)

Yeah, asked James P and he didn't know either... maybe it's a frighteningly high fee so the club don't want anyone to know!

Seven figures wouldn't surprise me, but equally could be miles off. Guess we'll find out at some point...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, asked James P and he didn't know either... maybe it's a frighteningly high fee so the club don't want anyone to know!

Seven figures wouldn't surprise me, but equally could be miles off. Guess we'll find out at some point...

Would there be any contribution from WH re a % his salary or is his pay not large enough to warrant it?

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Well as for Sinclair Armstrong . I’m going to call him stretch 

He is the A Train in my mind, the character in The Boys that is so fast he literally runs through people. :)

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don’t know that reference PSR. I always wanted a stretch Armstrong as a kid though & never got one 😢 childhood trauma 😂

1 min 20 onwards in this clip.... (Parental Guidance Advised) :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don’t know that reference PSR. I always wanted a stretch Armstrong as a kid though & never got one 😢 childhood trauma 😂

I always wanted a Steve Austin $6m Man.  But my green shield stamps only got me an Action Man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not sure a pilot's opening has ever set the scene for a show quite as well as this one 😄

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I always wanted a Steve Austin $6m Man.  But my green shield stamps only got me an Action Man.

I was lucky enough to have the Steve Austin and a Stretch Armstrong. Unfortunately Stretch ended up with a gruesome injury as me and my Brother stretched the arms too much and they both snapped off :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Just now, Sniper said:

I was lucky enough to have the Steve Austin and a Stretch Armstrong. Unfortunately Stretch ended up with a gruesome injury as me and my Brother stretched the arms too much and they both snapped off :laugh: 

I think that was the fate of many Stretch’s.

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Sounds ominous - Snap Armstrong!