IGNORED

George Earthy - Season-Long Loan - CONFIRMED

jbcfc

If Earthy is the 10 Manning now wants because they can’t get Twine done (I’m assuming Twine now dead), I’m fully supportive.  And I expect him to play.

I know bugger all about him, in fact had never heard of him until I think it was @Back of the Dolman mentioned him recently.  I watch very little PL football these days, don’t play FM so don’t know the wonder kids, unless they’ve had an EFL loan.

That’s my positive bit.

For balance, I still wonder what the strategy is in terms of this loan, because it seems highly unlikely it’ll come with any option to make it permanent. I don’t have any issues with what it means for Stokes.  He signed to be back-up / understudy to a no10, take his minutes where he can, so it makes little odds to me whether it’s Twine or Earthy he’s behind.

+++++

Assume this isn’t classed as negative or toxic?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If Earthy is the 10 Manning now wants because they can’t get Twine done (I’m assuming Twine now dead), I’m fully supportive.  And I expect him to play.

I know bugger all about him, in fact had never heard of him until I think it was @Back of the Dolman mentioned him recently.  I watch very little PL football these days, don’t play FM so don’t know the wonder kids, unless they’ve had an EFL loan.

That’s my positive bit.

For balance, I still wonder what the strategy is in terms of this loan, because it seems highly unlikely it’ll come with any option to make it permanent. I don’t have any issues with what it means for Stokes.  He signed to be back-up / understudy to a no10, take his minutes where he can, so it makes little odds to me whether it’s Twine or Earthy he’s behind.

+++++

Yes it was me, very good you player who impressed when he got some minutes for West Ham at the end of last season.

good on the ball, eye for goal, good movement in the pockets and links play well.

I’ll be honest I’d be more excited about this than Twine

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’ll be honest I’d be more excited about this than Twine

I can kinda see why.  Been watching some more clips.  I’d post them on twitter, but EFL Trophy, PL and PL2 stuff gets taken straight down on twitter, because of PL TV rights.  Had a few warnings in the past.  EFL don’t seem to care. EFL Trophy because it has PL teams in it, is stopped too.

All comps 23/24 ⬇️⬇️⬇️

image.png.2bbf635fb68b38c382d3eb8749cdd849.png

Edited by Davefevs

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s my positive bit.

+++++

I think the strategy is that it fills the no 10 position for this season and then in 12 months time we can either take a look at Twine again or we can evaluate and see if Stokes is able to make the no 10 role his own or if there are any other options in the transfer market. 

• Like 2

Sounds really positive and exactly what we need and will fit in well here. 

He gives you a lot of quality, George. He has top football intelligence and that adds another layer to the way the U21s want to and can play with him in the eleven. 

“He gives you assists and goals, but most importantly he works hard, and he is always at the top of our running stats. With all that combined, what he brings to the team is priceless. 

“It starts with the intensity of how he trains every day and sometimes you have to drag him in because he has that love for the game. Myself and the coaching staff can’t speak highly enough of him and how good he has been this year.”

• Like 3

Get behind the lad! Great prospect, one I’m certain will step in and not look out of place

West Ham young player of the year last season

Defo puts less pressure on city sorting the Twine deal, they may try again in January. 

Edited by HengroveReds
  • Like 1

This sounds like exactly the kind of signing most on here have been crying out for as an alternative to Twine. I know nothing about the lad but all reports suggest that he looks a good player. I’ll be excited about this if it comes off. 

8 minutes ago, Jacki said:

This sounds like exactly the kind of signing most on here have been crying out for as an alternative to Twine. I know nothing about the lad but all reports suggest that he looks a good player. I’ll be excited about this if it comes off. 

Don’t write off Twine still coming in this window 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s my positive bit.

+++++

My hope would be we spend the Twine money on a Sinayoko…..because our wingers are so poor (Yu aside as can’t judge yet and hope he will be class). 

1 minute ago, RedRobin91 said:

Have seen reports that we are in for George Earthy from West Ham on loan - anyone know anything about him? If true means Twine deal is def off…

Look at the transfer page…..

8 hours ago, petehinton said:

I don’t think this rules Twine out either, personally. Just puts less pressure on getting in done, and allows us to get to deadline day time with an offer still on the table for him on a perm

I’d say it would unless we decide to loan out Stokes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corsham Alf said:

I’ve been advised that we are absolutely still in for twine even after this loan signing.

I think it makes sense, when Twine got injured last season our form tailed off, this is a young player as backup but will get a lot of game time also. 

I feel like it’s just kicking the can further down the road IF he is the only one being brought in.

Highly rated no doubt. But fans do seem to over hype their academy players. 

Be interesting to see how he gets on in Championship football. Big step for him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spudgun said:

O'Leary 

Tanner....Vyner....Dickie....Pring

Bird....Knight 

Hirakawa....Earthy....Armstrong 

Mayulu

I keep seing Armstrong being mentioned as a wide player and I think I even did as we signed him. 

Doesn't look technical enough for that role. Caused countless problems on Saturday and was an impressive start. I just think he may struggles more with ball at his feet rather than chasing onto through balls and being a menace for the centre half’s. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

I keep seing Armstrong being mentioned as a wide player and I think I even did as we signed him. 

Doesn't look technical enough for that role. Caused countless problems on Saturday and was an impressive start. I just think he may struggles more with ball at his feet rather than chasing onto through balls and being a menace for the centre half’s. 

Would be a better option than Sykes and Bell! 

• Facepalm 3

Just now, Shauntaylor85 said:

Would be a better option than Sykes and Bell! 

😂

I have gathered you’re not there biggest fan. Bell is an example of hyping up academy talent. Not awful but i am still not sure he’s ready. 

Sykes a strange one. One of our best players under Pearson ( which I guess kinda shows how much we’ve struggled. Not a negative on Sykes) and completely gone to shit under Manning. Not helped by being chucked everywhere bar his proper position I guess.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Monkeh said:

No he wouldn't he would be wasted, and then you will start to include him in your list

I disagree, think he has a Semenyo aura about him but I don’t think it’s his best position hence why I strongly believe we need another winger albeit can’t see it. The delivery from our wide players is extremely poor. 

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

😂

I have gathered you’re not there biggest fan. Bell is an example of hyping up academy talent. Not awful but i am still not sure he’s ready. 

Sykes a strange one. One of our best players under Pearson ( which I guess kinda shows how much we’ve struggled. Not a negative on Sykes) and completely gone to shit under Manning. Not helped by being chucked everywhere bar his proper position I guess.

Sykes I agree just seems to have regressed under Manning. Don’t get me wrong he’s ok, but players like that hit a ceiling and football is around ambition and not sitting still, so I just don’t think he’s a player who moves us beyond mid table sadly. 

Bell I have never rated and would sell in a heartbeat. I just don’t think he has it at this level. Happy if he proves me wrong as seems a nice guy but I can’t see it happening 

• Hmmm 1

23 minutes ago, Spudgun said:

O'Leary 

Tanner....Vyner....Dickie....Pring

Bird....Knight 

Hirakawa....Earthy....Armstrong 

Mayulu

That looks some team to me if the new players are as consistently good as it seems they could be.  Great keeper, solid defence, energetic midfield, final third TBC.  

I dont think Bell is strong enough for the Championship yet If he wasnt a legends son he would get far more stick than he does. To me he's lightweight too predictable and brushed off the ball to easily and hardly ever puts over a decent cross. Put him out on loan along with Stokes and bring in Earthy and Twine

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Graham76 said:

Already seeing Mebude levels of hype on here and we all know how that turned out. 

The same Mebude who scored at the weekend & Westerlo are 3 from 3 this season with him starting every game?

That Mebude?

18 minutes ago, Jose said:

Armstrong rolled Alfie Jones TWICE with balls played into his feet and Jones is a very decent Centre Half in this league (from Backwell so somehow slipped through the net) so that shows something when the ball is played into feet.........I agree that he isn't a wide man though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, westonred said:

I dont think Bell is strong enough for the Championship yet If he wasnt a legends son he would get far more stick than he does. To me he's lightweight too predictable and brushed off the ball to easily and hardly ever puts over a decent cross. Put him out on loan along with Stokes and bring in Earthy and Twine

If he wasn't a legends son he wouldn't  be in the team, I generally don't get what people see in him, he appear weak, lacks composure, can't cross, and isn't the best passer

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

If he wasn't a legends son he wouldn't  be in the team, I generally don't get what people see in him, he appear weak, lacks composure, can't cross, and isn't the best passer

His weakness is what amazes me, he’s coming in to his third full season but still appears to be a 18 year old. Not giving up on him just yet, but think this will be a pivotal season for his future aspects.

Regarding Earthy coming in, would be very surprised if that means we would be getting Twine as well, that one seems very dead to me. West Ham wouldn’t send one of their most promising youngsters here just to fight it out with Stokes for a place on the bench.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, westonred said:

I don’t think he will ever be strong enough. He’s had enough time to prove he can develop in pre season, looks the same player as ever, lacks positional sense, final ball is atrocious, easily brushed off the ball and no coolness when in dangerous positions. You either have it or you don’t I’m afraid.  Just don’t rate him. If he wasn’t an academy player people would be saying the same without question.

6 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I don’t think he will ever be strong enough. He’s had enough time to prove he can develop in pre season, looks the same player as ever, lacks positional sense, final ball is atrocious, easily brushed off the ball and no coolness when in dangerous positions. You either have it or you don’t I’m afraid.  Just don’t rate him. If he wasn’t an academy player people would be saying the same without question.

I disagree with this, he is still young and can develop, I just don't think he should be in the first team, as he doesn't add anything,

8 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

So we’ve gone from #1 target- Twine, “down the list” to then (allegedly) sign a 19 year old on loan…. To then go and also get Twine….

FWIW- I’d have Earthy 

Just now, Cityboy1954 said:

Be surprised if were still chasing Twine we got plenty of cover now with Gardner Hickman stokes murphy if hes ever fit Also Benorous? 

Edited by Cityboy1954

8 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

He's 22. Got plenty of time to get in the weights room.

I thought he looked noticeably bulkier v Willem. 

8 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

This place is still as toxic and negative as ever🤣

The pathway. We don’t have anyone coming through who can play the position as well as Twine or as good as this guy if they are indeed bringing him in. Also, pretty much all teams across the world rely on loans. Usually more than 1. This would be 1 and doesn’t seem like more on the horizon. 

Would WH loan him here if he wasn’t a starter. They would loan him here hoping he is good enough to break in. They have decided championship is the right next step for his career. Perhaps loaning him to a team with a HC that they are comfortable with. The expectation from us would be to give him real opportunity to develop and make himself a regular part of the squad. 

Just always a complaint these past 12 months. Nothing is ever good enough. The club has done all it can to identify young upcoming talent with the money seemingly available(substantial but not pushing ffp). We are giving a platform to young hungry players who we can develop and either sell on or have a good year with some luck and push promotion. Most clubs and fans would he ecstatic about that. Especially fans who have never had PL football. Not BCFC fans though. What a miserable existence for a lot of you. 

Haha, you got a face-palm from the usual suspect, btw, agree with everything you say

• Like 2

9 hours ago, phantom said:

Nothing personal, but I love how a football fan makes an opinion like yours based on no knowledge of him 

Watched the highlights against Luton and he scored, having seen lots of positive press wrote about him and knowing he won a West Ham award last season gotta mean something, is that enough? 

The comments on X from WHU supporters are that we have a gem who is Championship ready, some thinking he’d break into first team this Year. No idea if a loan fee, LM using his contacts perhaps to give us the nod over some big clubs that were also keen. Could be a good one this. 

Waiting for that Google Earth themed signing announcement, hoping they didn’t blow all the budget on the astronaut hat for Sinclair. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

This news will certainly make Burnley and Twine think in my view. 

That’s only the case if Burnley’s plan is to sell. It may be that the reason they are not dropping the asking price is because they are fine with having him in the squad.

• Like 1

What is interesting with all of our transfers - Mayulu, Yu, Armstrong and now Earthy - is all of them are gambles where they are by no means guaranteed to succeed but the potential upside is a lot bigger than more measured signings. It is by no means guaranteed that Earthy will perform in the Championship but, if he does, he could be exceptional.

I’m in favour of that. Realistically - even before the four signings - we’re already a solid mid table side and we can’t afford to compete financially with the biggest clubs in the division so the only possible hope of a promotion challenge is relatively low cost players who could have unexpected upsides. 

Ultimately us signing a number ten who doesn’t work out probably isn’t going to impact on our league position that much. But signing an exceptional number ten really could.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I doubt this deal was agreed in quick phone call yesterday. We've obviously been working on it, and won't have been the only suitors. We clearly weren't just sitting around waiting for Twine.

It’s a big relief. I was starting to get Nketiah deja vu.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

That’s only the case if Burnley’s plan is to sell. It may be that the reason they are not dropping the asking price is because they are fine with having him in the squad.

That's their prerogative, but they do also want a happy, harmonious squad, and keeping squad players who are desperate to be the main man is a risk.