IGNORED

George Earthy - Season-Long Loan - CONFIRMED

jbcfc

14 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

What is interesting with all of our transfers - Mayulu, Yu, Armstrong and now Earthy - is all of them are gambles where they are by no means guaranteed to succeed but the potential upside is a lot bigger than more measured signings. It is by no means guaranteed that Earthy will perform in the Championship but, if he does, he could be exceptional.

I’m in favour of that. Realistically - even before the four signings - we’re already a solid mid table side and we can’t afford to compete financially with the biggest clubs in the division so the only possible hope of a promotion challenge is relatively low cost players who could have unexpected upsides. 

Ultimately us signing a number ten who doesn’t work out probably isn’t going to impact on our league position that much. But signing an exceptional number ten really could.

We are due some luck. Be lovely if for once it was Bristol city who have a season to dream of when no one expects it with loads of punts all coming off in a big way.

Edited by milo1111

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

I doubt this deal was agreed in quick phone call yesterday. We've obviously been working on it, and won't have been the only suitors. We clearly weren't just sitting around waiting for Twine.

We allegedly had two ready to go if we “moved on” 😉 from Twine.

Can only assume we have moved on.  (Waits for Piercy to say the opposite)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chowie said:

As he mentioned on SOTC last night, probably going to say Twine next Summer.

Yeah thinking it through it makes sense now to enjoy one season of Earthy and to buy Twine next summer. It's the cheap option, but might actually work.

4 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

It's the lad on X who posts a pic of Twine every day I feel for. He's gonna be posting that silly wave meme in 2035. 

We are waiting to finalise Michael Owen before we sign Twine

Just now, mozo said:

Yeah thinking it through it makes sense now to enjoy one season of Earthy and to buy Twine next summer. It's the cheap option, but might actually work.

A prem league loan is not a cheap option,

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

We allegedly had two ready to go if we “moved on” 😉 from Twine.

Can only assume we have moved on.  (Waits for Piercy to say the opposite)

I'm like you and would prefer we move on than overpay. Revisit next year.

A West Ham mate of mine said: “Rated highly. A clever player rather than anything flashy, should play attacking midfield. As with most of them, needs to bulk up. Think that’s the kind of move he needs. Came on and scored in his first appearance at the end of last season. All down to ghosting in the box and reading the game. Technically gifted I’d say is a good description. Think he’s right-footed but can use both. He won Young Hammer of the Year.”

Encouraging.

I'll also add that it is highly unlikely this loan for Earthy will have an option to buy at the end. He's contracted to 2026 (signed a 3 year deal last year) and definitely viewed from the club as one of the top prospects through the academy that could make reach the 1st team team as a regular (like Rice). Along with Lewis Orford, and possibly Freddie Potts (Wycombe loan last year) and Caelan Casey. Out of our price pool imo.

Lopetegui has obviously come in as manager and made quite a few signings, such as Fullkrug, Summerville, Kilman, Luis Guilherme and Todibo. I think he has gone for players ready to make an immediate impact rather than relying on youth in his first year. Will be interesting how he sets up in terms of formations etc., but Paqueta is the main "10" and I think Earthy will be pushing behind him next season. 

I also saw a vid not long ago of Earthy meeting the new manager, as he was having a tour around the training pitch and Earthy greeted him and said he was training (alone) on a off day. Great attitude.

Unless there is a (big) surprise option to buy, I wonder if we go back in for Twine either in Jan or next Summer. A gamble, but let's see. Does make the whole situation more intriguing.

Tldr - A perm for Twine makes sense as very unlikely there is a view to buy Earthy.

Coyr 

Edited by HOZDA
Tldr
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

A prem league loan is not a cheap option,

Indeed.  Could easily cost us the same as Twine if not more this season, nor would he be ours.

That is the downside to a loan (assuming no option to buy).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Piercy says still after Twine on a perm. Think this is really smart business overall.  Takes a weight off absolutely needing to get him in. 

I guess we're still only interested if they reduce the asking price

1 hour ago, Jose said:

😂

I have gathered you’re not there biggest fan. Bell is an example of hyping up academy talent. Not awful but i am still not sure he’s ready. 

Sykes a strange one. One of our best players under Pearson ( which I guess kinda shows how much we’ve struggled. Not a negative on Sykes) and completely gone to shit under Manning. Not helped by being chucked everywhere bar his proper position I guess.

Gone to shit is a bit far. Where Sykes has failed. Plenty of others have gotten better. Typically the more technical players which honestly makes sense considering the differing styles of play.

Big year for Sykes though can see him leaving next summer he doesn’t seem like a “manning player” to be fair.

Edited by MythikRobins
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.  Could easily cost us the same as Twine if not more this season, nor would he be ours.

That is the downside to a loan (assuming no option to buy).

I think that is ok if you limit the number of loans and only loan someone you feel can make a genuine difference (and we do lack quality in that "behind the striker" area, badly), it's when you go down the Joseph Barton route of 12 on loan that you spend far too much money and end up needing to rebuild your squad every season.

Edited by Numero Uno

I'm sure the lad is good player and he may do well, but I'm a bit Pearson-esque about loaning Prem starlets unless there is an option to buy.

We bought Josh Stokes in for that sort of role with a view of someone who could develop which was seen as quite a coup at the time considering other teams were looking at him, yet if this is a pure loan with no option, then we seem to be happy to develop someone of equivalent age for another club potentially to the detriment of what we already have in the building.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy to and will be the absolute hypocrite jumping out of my virtual seat if he helps turn us into a play-off potential team, but deep down I'm not a fan of this type of loan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HOZDA said:

I'll also add that it is highly unlikely this loan for Earthy will have an option to buy at the end. He's contracted to 2026 (signed a 3 year deal last year) and definitely viewed from the club as one of the top prospects through the academy that could make reach the 1st team team as a regular (like Rice). Along with Lewis Orford, and possibly Freddie Potts (Wycombe loan last year) and Caelan Casey. Out of our price pool imo.

Lopetegui has obviously come in as manager and made quite a few signings, such as Fullkrug, Summerville, Kilman, Luis Guilherme and Todibo. I think he has gone for players ready to make an immediate impact rather than relying on youth in his first year. Will be interesting how he sets up in terms of formations etc., but Paqueta is the main "10" and I think Earthy will be pushing behind him next season. 

I also saw a vid not long ago of Earthy meeting the new manager, as he was having a tour around the training pitch and Earthy greeted him and said he was training (alone) on a off day. Great attitude.

Unless there is a (big) surprise option to buy, I wonder if we go back in for Twine either in Jan or next Summer. A gamble, but let's see. Does make the whole situation more intriguing.

Tldr - A perm for Twine makes sense as very unlikely there is a view to buy Earthy.

Coyr 

This is the video I mentioned in my post above about him training alone and meeting the new manager. Class:

Even I've heard of 'ExWHUEmployee' from being around Twitter. So I'd suggest this is a goer unless I've missed something.

And for what it's worth I really like it. HT announcement tonight? :D

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Sounds like the kind of signing that if they went to another club in the Championship, would have people on here moaning that we never loan these sort of players and we are lacking ambition.

Post article saying we beat competition to land him. Spot on with your post

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

This place is still as toxic and negative as ever🤣

The pathway. We don’t have anyone coming through who can play the position as well as Twine or as good as this guy if they are indeed bringing him in. Also, pretty much all teams across the world rely on loans. Usually more than 1. This would be 1 and doesn’t seem like more on the horizon. 

Would WH loan him here if he wasn’t a starter. They would loan him here hoping he is good enough to break in. They have decided championship is the right next step for his career. Perhaps loaning him to a team with a HC that they are comfortable with. The expectation from us would be to give him real opportunity to develop and make himself a regular part of the squad. 

Just always a complaint these past 12 months. Nothing is ever good enough. The club has done all it can to identify young upcoming talent with the money seemingly available(substantial but not pushing ffp). We are giving a platform to young hungry players who we can develop and either sell on or have a good year with some luck and push promotion. Most clubs and fans would he ecstatic about that. Especially fans who have never had PL football. Not BCFC fans though. What a miserable existence for a lot of you. 

Great post, well said joe

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I now feel confused following Piercy’s tweet saying we are still after Twine.

Ah well, just have to wait to see how it all pans out.

Twine perm gets us him for 3 years (say). We’re less ‘beggy’ for him now potentially as we aren’t eggs in one basket, may make it more feasible that we get him at the end of the window? Earthy just for a season, and gets Stokes out on loan, whilst we don’t really have any AMs in the academy pipeline. Gives us depth in an area that’s obviously key to LM & us. 

I think the club massively embarrassed themselves over summer dealings broadly, but this makes a lot of smart sense to me if they pull it off. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Twine perm gets us him for 3 years (say). We’re less ‘beggy’ for him now potentially as we aren’t eggs in one basket, may make it more feasible that we get him at the end of the window? Earthy just for a season, and gets Stokes out on loan, whilst we don’t really have any AMs in the academy pipeline. Gives us depth in an area that’s obviously key to LM & us. 

I think the club massively embarrassed themselves over summer dealings broadly, but this makes a lot of smart sense to me if they pull it off. 

Not convinced by that, Pete, there’s a playing angle to this also.

But I will wait to see how it pans out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Only 4 pages, but some posters have been on quite the journey already.

The most reactionary, bipolar forum on the internet, without a doubt.

But it's not, though. We are not unique, we are not exceptionally anything, we are just like pretty much every other lot all over the country. By and large.

You have over-reacted to the over-reaction. If I may be so bold ....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Gives us depth in an area that’s obviously key to LM 

That's the "biggest bit" for me; it would be Alanis Morrisette-esque to pursue Twine all summer & him do a hammy in the 1st week.  

Personally I'm a bit disappointed that this means we may well see less of Josh Stokes, but overall it does make sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randy Marsh II said:

This guy will be coming in with a fee and clauses. 

I can't imagine for one moment it's him and Twine. This to me says the chase for Twine has finished, probably for the best. 

I think you are wrong, Twine will come in and Earthy will be back up. No way can Twine play 90 mins every game. Competition for places and 2 for every position - simple 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

But it's not, though. We are not unique, we are not exceptionally anything, we are just like pretty much every other lot all over the country. By and large.

You have over-reacted to the over-reaction. If I may be so bold ....

Agreed, though us milwall and Preston are the next biggest clubs to have not made it to the prem,,, the years roll on, and it would be no surprise if the 3 of us finish 10-15 again this season, while we watch someone else go past us,, people are frustrated with the same thing year after year, and it is manifested on here with criticism which would seem harsh at first glance, but is based on years of false promises, and poor management and decisions 

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

His weakness is what amazes me, he’s coming in to his third full season but still appears to be a 18 year old. Not giving up on him just yet, but think this will be a pivotal season for his future aspects.

Regarding Earthy coming in, would be very surprised if that means we would be getting Twine as well, that one seems very dead to me. West Ham wouldn’t send one of their most promising youngsters here just to fight it out with Stokes for a place on the bench.

But reports stating otherwise and we are still in for Twine!

• Like 1

I'm slightly torn on how to feel about this one.

On the one hand, he sounds like a promising and talented young player. Great.

On the other hand, I generally feel that loans are a bit of a waste of time and money unless you think it's a player who will "get you over the line" - i.e. avoid relegation / achieve promotion. (and I don't think that's likely to be the case for us).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I'm slightly torn on how to feel about this one.

On the one hand, he sounds like a promising and talented young player. Great.

On the other hand, I generally feel that loans are a bit of a waste of time and money unless you think it's a player who will "get you over the line" - i.e. avoid relegation / achieve promotion. (and I don't think that's likely to be the case for us).

I look at Saturday's game, and not knowing whether George Earthy is the answer obviously, I ask myself the question "how would that game have panned out if we had a competent 10 with a bit of quality in his final ball and Max Bird playing where he should be with Joe WIlliams on the bench?". If I had to guess I would say we win that pretty comfortably. Perhaps Liam feels that position IS the difference maker to get us over some line?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Is the lesser spotted Murphy a pipeline 10 Pete?

Although Post reporting we are still interested in Twine, I can't see it.

West Ham will not have loaned him to us to sit on the bench, and we already have Bird, Knight, TGH & Williams to contend for CM places. Hence I see no room for Twin, esp. as also have Stokes as an option. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

esp. as also have Stokes as an option. 

The club have blown a lot of smoke up Stokes’s arse to the fans all summer, yet in the last week to see a little dampening of that enthusiasm.

Will watch with interest, but on latest news would not be surprised to see him go out on loan.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

But reports stating otherwise and we are still in for Twine!

Well then colour me surprised! Would of course be happy with Twine coming in as well, but assumed that Earthy signing would of meant we have moved on (at least for this window).

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Any chance there could be a separate "Sam Bell is a ***" topic rather than seeing the negativity about him shoehorned into half of the other topics on the forum? Getting very boring seeing the same posters making literally the same comments about him over and over again in multiple threads....................

We know you don't rate him guys, you must have told us 75 times now..................

Actually, I rate him, love his pace, energy and enthusiasm. Always be a legend just for the cup goal at Swansea.

....OK now back to this Earthy guy

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The club have blown a lot of smoke up Stokes’s arse to the fans all summer, yet in the last week to see a little dampening of that enthusiasm.

Will watch with interest, but on latest news would not be surprised to see him go out on loan.

Fevs, I can see Stokes going out on loan, if we sign Earthy and Twine. Would be good for his development too. Somewhere like Port Vale, he could then link up with the Swiss forward he played with at Aldershot, Lorent Tolaj.

COYR.

Edited by Tangle Foot
Typo
  • Like 1

I know nothing whatsoever about this kid. He's supposedly good but presumably not the next Brooking, Devonshire or Lampard as he'd be in the Irons (not the Hammers please) 1st team squad. How long will we give him to get up to speed in the Championship or does OTIB get on his back straight away for any misplaced pass. 

39 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I think you are wrong, Twine will come in and Earthy will be back up. No way can Twine play 90 mins every game. Competition for places and 2 for every position - simple 

West Ham won't be sending their young hammer of the year on loan to be back up. 

Hes an incredibly exciting talent and we've done really well to get him. 

I don't think Burnley will look at this and think they'll suddenly want to knock 1 million off the price, because they don't particularly want to sell Twine. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I know nothing whatsoever about this kid. He's supposedly good but presumably not the next Brooking, Devonshire or Lampard as he'd be in the Irons (not the Hammers please) 1st team squad. How long will we give him to get up to speed in the Championship or does OTIB get on his back straight away for any misplaced pass. 

7 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

Fevs, I can see Stokes going out on loan, if we sign Earthy and Twine. Would be good for his development too. Somewhere like Port Vale, he could then link up with the Swiss forward he played with at Aldershot, Lorent Tolaj.

COYR.

Looks like this 19 yr old is on £1200 per week, so probably enough headroom for another signing , if Conway leaves

39 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I look at Saturday's game, and not knowing whether George Earthy is the answer obviously, I ask myself the question "how would that game have panned out if we had a competent 10 with a bit of quality in his final ball and Max Bird playing where he should be with Joe WIlliams on the bench?". If I had to guess I would say we win that pretty comfortably. Perhaps Liam feels that position IS the difference maker to get us over some line?

The problem Saturday was the amount of opportunities wasted after winning the ball because of our effective high press

A bit of quality and composure and we could quite easily have scored 3-4 goals not to mention the amount of corners & free kicks that lacked any quality in delivery into the box

Its obvious what we are lacking and the club are making the right moves to correct that 

I am still convinced Twine will be joining this window regardless of us bringing Earthy in on loan 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I wish he had taken Williams off and kept Bird on. We may be winning that game 1.0. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

He has been in the first team squad a number of times.

West Ham have brought in a lot of players this summer so this is an opportunity for Earthy to get solid minutes week in week out.

I'm quite excited by this signing. If this kid is to be as good as he's hyped he had to be a stand out player in the Championship. I remember a quote from Tinnion where he said the expectation of our loanees was for them to be top 3 in their position in the leagues they were sent too. I don't see many parallels with Mebude. He was a talented youngster who had then gone backwards. Earthy's profile at present has been solidly upwards.

9 minutes ago, The Masked Man said:

I'm quite excited by this signing. If this kid is to be as good as he's hyped he had to be a stand out player in the Championship. I remember a quote from Tinnion where he said the expectation of our loanees was for them to be top 3 in their position in the leagues they were sent too. I don't see many parallels with Mebude. He was a talented youngster who had then gone backwards. Earthy's profile at present has been solidly upwards.

I’m excited by Earthy, but that excitement dampened a bit that we are still in for Twine.

• Like 4

People saying that West Ham would not want him coming here to be a back-up player but what is a back-up player now. With the amount of subs we can now use things have changed. Sincs and Fally could well share the 90 minute load for many games  with a 65/25 minutes split depending on need. They both have their roles and that could be true of a number 10 just as much. Twine/Earthy could be a similar split as could our wide men. A regular 20/25 minutes in Championship games would probably satisfy West Ham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Although Post reporting we are still interested in Twine, I can't see it.

West Ham will not have loaned him to us to sit on the bench, and we already have Bird, Knight, TGH & Williams to contend for CM places. Hence I see no room for Twin, esp. as also have Stokes as an option. 

I believe Earthy can play all across the front line? How about a front three of Earthy, Twine and Yu, behind Armstrong/Mayulu? With Knight and Bird in midfield behind them. Sounds pretty exciting to me.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I wish he had taken Williams off and kept Bird on. We may be winning that game 1.0. 

That may be the case but imo if we had that extra bit of quality AFTER our passes were breaking the Hull lines any goal Hull scored in injury time would have been no more than a consolation effort. We have a solid defence but not one that can win five games in a row 1-0 (by all means humiliate me when it happens!!) so any extra quality up the top end will be a welcome addition.

• Like 1