IGNORED

George Earthy - Season-Long Loan - CONFIRMED

jbcfc

24 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not sure I did suggest he would have made the difference last season. 

For whatever reason the club are happy to spend this summer but not last summer. 

What makes you think that we've taken a significant step forward so that a player like Earthy can make the difference? 

Think the spending last season and this season are approximately the same. Twine might push us over a couple million this season (if he comes). It was pretty evident that last season the spending shackles Pearson was under in his first two seasons were released. I personally feel like the budget has only ever so slightly increased, if they were intent on spending more Twine would already be here!

4 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Haha, you got a face-palm from the usual suspect, btw, agree with everything you say

Facepalms were probably 2 of my first reactions too🤣

I just thought I was having a normal miserable rant from me but the reactions have been nice. 

For me, this has been one of our best summers. I am worried it has been a bit scattergun with one from Austria, one from Japan and then all up and down the EFL. Whereas a team like Brentford was just strong in France and L1/L2 from what I remember. 

That said, it seems they got everyone in the profile and positions they wanted bar the number 10. Plus, there are still weeks to do that as well. It has been an extremely positive summer for BCFC imo. As with all non PL relegated and PP clubs, it will take a fair amount of luck for us to be a playoff side.

That said, we brought in young hungry players who can develop into young stars. Best case, they develop and we have a magical season in the next couple years. Worst case, we have young players with some resale value and can continue operating in a similar fashion. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Well, we have way more options in forward positions. Mayulu and Armstrong are clear upgrades on Conway, Wells and Cornick. The addition of a top class player in behind the striker could be the missing piece of the jigsaw.

I presume the club see us as being close to the play offs right now, whereas we weren't last summer. A loan could make the difference there, and it can be financed by the sale of Conway

Not sure that Mayulu and Armstrong are clear upgrades on Conway, I'd say they have different attributes which may give a different dimension to the team. A few more games and we'll have a clearer view. Liked what I saw against Hull though.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

My one concern/frustration in all of this is the idea - which has admittedly come from here and not the reporting - of Stokes going off on loan. There's an element of being burnt by past experiences but I'm not a fan of signing players from the lower leagues and immediately farming them off on loan. I think the only way players get good enough for this level is to play at this level. 

I’d agree if he came from league one/two but he’s come from the national league. No matter his pedigree that’s a huge jump to make and he was at sudbury the year before. 

As he’s only twenty getting him more consistent game time at a league one/high league two team to bridge that gap surely isn’t a bad idea imo. 

And realistically if we didn’t sign Twine or similar we would be relying on two u20 attacking midfielders with 35minutes minutes of professional football played between them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe, but a lot of very good observations from Spike, whether you agree with them or not!  There seems to be a view (generalisation) that it was just a game of missed chances / missed opportunities to create chances, all on City.  But that’s a very one-sided view of the whole 90 (plus injury time)…and doesn’t give Hull any credit for some of the problems they caused us too, regardless of when in the game they happened.  We were not as good defensively on Saturday as we were most of the time last season.  In creating new shapes / patterns we created some exposures too.  Down the side of Dickie for example because of Pring’s high positioning and Mehmeti inverting.

But, it’s just one game.  We should be looking at trends over the next half a dozen games.  Is this now the new-City-way, or just a bit of rustiness, etc.

But that space behind our left-back is something to keep an eye on, because it was there v Willem too.

Adding something somewhere can often mean losing something somewhere else.  Especially if you don’t have the best players in the league.

I think there were some encouraging signs though, overall pribsbly a bit more in the ✅ column than the ❌ column.

I really hope that it’s just a missing no10 as the final piece of the jigsaw.

Was more on the point that the chances are Earthy won't get us into the top 6. I agree, but does that mean we don't bother trying?

Yes Hull created chances, but Max kept them out. We would have kept a clean sheet if Williams wasn't so clumsy. I'm generally pessimistic but if you can't take positives and be somewhat hopeful at the start of a season when can you be?

1 minute ago, MythikRobins said:

Think the spending last season and this season are approximately the same. Twine might push us over a couple million this season (if he comes). It was pretty evident that last season the spending shackles Pearson was under in his first two seasons were released. I personally feel like the budget has only ever so slightly increased, if they were intent on spending more Twine would already be here!

They were funded by a £9m transfer of Semenyo the previous January (in-part to aid FFP compliance) and £20m transfer of Alex Scott.  This summer’s business is still using some of that Scott money put aside, Marshall said they’d use some of it across multiple windows.

I don’t want to get into Nige v Liam, but this summer isn’t one where the manager needs to sell to buy for example.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s a big reach after one competitive game!  I like them both btw.

It appears we want both though.

I may have a strange view on this, but I only want one of them, I don’t care which one.  But I don’t want both.

So no injury cover for a No10 then?

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure that Mayulu and Armstrong are clear upgrades on Conway, I'd say they have different attributes which may give a different dimension to the team. A few more games and we'll have a clearer view. Liked what I saw against Hull though.

I meant as a strike force per say, rather than induviduals.

If we want to play one up front, Mayulu and Armstrong offer more (in my book) than the other three in terms of link up play and bringing others into the game. I like Conway and as you say, he offers something different, but against a couple of decent championship defenders he can struggle physically, don't think we'll see them same with these two, especially if he's our main 9.

Wells and Cornick are good options, but I'm not sure I'd have them as starters at this level as a sole 9 (especially with Wells in his mid 30s), we now have the option of two strikers who can both do that, that's where the upgrade is

Edited by JBFC II
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Time will tell, but they both offered an awful lot more around the park than Conway has done in the past on Saturday.

Very different types of strikers, but if we want to play with one up front I'd rather it was an Armstrong/Mayulu who can remain a constant presence for 60+ minutes

Playing with a higher press also helps. They are a different profile of player...I won't post it again but there is a Scout Report on Conway and he is more varied and with more dimensions than he gets credit for on here post him wanting to leave. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

My one concern/frustration in all of this is the idea - which has admittedly come from here and not the reporting - of Stokes going off on loan. There's an element of being burnt by past experiences but I'm not a fan of signing players from the lower leagues and immediately farming them off on loan. I think the only way players get good enough for this level is to play at this level. 

Agreed, I mean I'm under no pretence that Stokes will actually go out on loan I think fans do tend to get a bit impatient and rush these things.
"No place for stokes in the matchday squad? Well he must be off on loan." I always liked this quote:

Arsène Wenger - "Development is not linear. Some players make the leap early, others take more time, and that's okay. What's important is that they have the right environment to grow, without being burdened by unrealistic expectations."

Just to urge patience on here just because Stokes isn't playing doesn't mean he's not developing and he was a waste of money. We have the right environment here clearly just give it time. Same goes for Murphy, Benarous and others. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Maybe, but a lot of very good observations from Spike, whether you agree with them or not!  There seems to be a view (generalisation) that it was just a game of missed chances / missed opportunities to create chances, all on City.  But that’s a very one-sided view of the whole 90 (plus injury time)…and doesn’t give Hull any credit for some of the problems they caused us too, regardless of when in the game they happened.  We were not as good defensively on Saturday as we were most of the time last season.  In creating new shapes / patterns we created some exposures too.  Down the side of Dickie for example because of Pring’s high positioning and Mehmeti inverting.

But, it’s just one game.  We should be looking at trends over the next half a dozen games.  Is this now the new-City-way, or just a bit of rustiness, etc.

But that space behind our left-back is something to keep an eye on, because it was there v Willem too.

Adding something somewhere can often mean losing something somewhere else.  Especially if you don’t have the best players in the league.

I think there were some encouraging signs though, overall pribsbly a bit more in the ✅ column than the ❌ column.

I really hope that it’s just a missing no10 as the final piece of the jigsaw.

Agree Dave, albeit if anyone on this forum expect City to be perfect in defence, perfect in midfield and perfect in attack, then they're setting themselves up for disappointment if they support City.

Even in the this past week I have seen multiple posts mourning how boring and defensive the football is under Manning. Let's hope they appreciated that the balance was tilted versus Hull less in favour of security and control.

Obviously, Manning needs to plan for counter attacks, and has to drill the attacking players to be more impactful in and around the opposition box.

Agre with you that we need to see a few more games. I expect us to be aggressive in the press against Millwall. I don't doubt that there will be threats in that game too.

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

That said, it seems they got everyone in the profile and positions they wanted bar the number 10. Plus, there are still weeks to do that as well. It has been an extremely positive summer for BCFC imo. As with all non PL relegated and PP clubs, it will take a fair amount of luck for us to be a playoff side.

As I’ve said too Joe, this summer has largely been good in terms of recruitment.

What has tarnished it to an extent (yet still can end up being a good ending) is the Twine and Conway business.  It’s overshadowed the signings in many respects.

Without going overboard:

• initial concerns over Sinclair “Mr 3 in 60” Armstrong were pushed away with a couple of preseason goals and largely “the kind of player we’ve been missing since Antoine” performances, inc Hull.
  • initial concerns over Fally Mayulu from his first couple of lacklustre preseason games, but a better cameo v Willem, followed by a beauty on Saturday

means both players are in credit with the fanbase, which is encouraging so early on in their time here.

We will have to wait for Hirakawa.

And that’s (almost) forgetting Bird, who has settled in and fans talking about him as possible POTY material.

• Like 5

Just now, George Rs said:

I’d agree if he came from league one/two but he’s come from the national league. No matter his pedigree that’s a huge jump to make and he was at sudbury the year before. 

As he’s only twenty getting him more consistent game time at a league one/high league two team to bridge that gap surely isn’t a bad idea imo. 

And realistically if we didn’t sign Twine or similar we would be relying on two u20 attacking midfielders with 35minutes minutes of professional football played between them. 

I like Stokes and I especially liked the way he played himself into the game against Newport (or may have been Exeter) after the game bypassing him in the first 20 minutes or so.  He seems a quick learner.

There isn't a great deal of difference between L2 and the National League so I see no point in him loaned to that division. He is probably already at L1 level (having watched the second half of that god awful game at the Memdump Saturday, there's not much doubt). He's better served by staying here and getting minutes here and there in the Championship imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They were funded by a £9m transfer of Semenyo the previous January (in-part to aid FFP compliance) and £20m transfer of Alex Scott.  This summer’s business is still using some of that Scott money put aside, Marshall said they’d use some of it across multiple windows.

I don’t want to get into Nige v Liam, but this summer isn’t one where the manager needs to sell to buy for example.

Haha, neither do I think we've had enough of that. I was quite worried that since the sacking they'd massively up the budget spending well over what we spent season to back their man to make sure he's a success. Thankfully, it appears our spending is still within reason which fills me with confidence personally. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Agree Dave, albeit if anyone on this forum expect City to be perfect in defence, perfect in midfield and perfect in attack, then they're setting themselves up for disappointment if they support City.

Even in the this past week I have seen multiple posts mourning how boring and defensive the football is under Manning. Let's hope they appreciated that the balance was tilted versus Hull less in favour of security and control.

Obviously, Manning needs to plan for counter attacks, and has to drill the attacking players to be more impactful in and around the opposition box.

Agre with you that we need to see a few more games. I expect us to be aggressive in the press against Millwall. I don't doubt that there will be threats in that game too.

Nobody does, but saying that kinda undermines justified critique from the likes of @Spike, who wasn’t even setting the bar as high as perfect.

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Nobody does, but saying that kinda undermines justified critique from the likes of @Spike, who wasn’t even setting the bar as high as perfect.

No I'm not having a dig at Spike's view. Just riffing on the idea of attack / defence balance. But yes, some do expect perfection but not you or Spike.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Put yourself in Liam’s position. You’ve got fans saying he’s gotta go if we are not showing any promise by October. The truth is he’s got a kid who has gone from Sudbury to Aldershot and some want him to tear it up three leagues higher…….not realistic.

If Liam says “**** it, I’m starting Stokes and if it takes him three to six months to reach the level and because of that we’ll struggle to get consistent results so be it” he could be out of a job due to fans wanting results NOW. Hindsight merchants will be proclaiming “he was never going to ready why didn’t we bridge the gap with the kid and send him out on loan?”.

We’ve already got two centre forwards who are looking to adjust to the level on a consistent basis, there has to be a limit on promise and potential and Saturday’s game showed that a bit of “here and now” quality addition is what is needed in order to transition from a team that sometimes carries a threat to one that always does.

• Like 9

An Earthy Twine has a lovely ring to it when describing yet another City goal.

All we want now is to sign someone with a name like Eoin Hand and we'll have Sky fawning all over us with the Bird in Hand sentence. Mind you, Bird on Dickie is another matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Flames 1

Let’s hope he signs in time for Saturday - sounds like a really exciting prospect and one which will see a very warm welcome from the City fans with for obvious reasons, a different type of “welcome” from the Millwall contingent 😂

I’m pleased that we are still after Twine on a permanent deal but at least this takes the pressure off somewhat, if we can’t strike a deal with Burnley.

Perhaps this is why Twine looked so fed-up on the bench last night - Agent had probably just made him aware that we were after Earthy! 🙈😆

9 minutes ago, Swede said:

An Earthy Twine has a lovely ring to it when describing yet another City goal.

All we want now is to sign someone with a name like Eoin Hand and we'll have Sky fawning all over us with the Bird in Hand sentence. Mind you, Bird on Dickie is another matter.

I saw some names in a post on another thread recently, which made me think we are gradually approaching an England cricket team.

Stokes, Bell, Knight, with Dickie Bird as umpire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I saw some names in a post on another thread recently, which made me think we are gradually approaching an England cricket team.

Stokes, Bell, Knight, with Dickie Bird as umpire.

dont forget the famous word,'OUT'( injured)

got to hope none of yours mentioned get the 'runs'

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, redsquirrel said:

dont forget the famous word,'OUT'( injured)

got to hope none of yours mentioned get the 'runs'

I'm trying to think of more cricket puns, but I'm stumped.

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

As I’ve said too Joe, this summer has largely been good in terms of recruitment.

What has tarnished it to an extent (yet still can end up being a good ending) is the Twine and Conway business.  It’s overshadowed the signings in many respects.

Without going overboard:

• initial concerns over Sinclair “Mr 3 in 60” Armstrong were pushed away with a couple of preseason goals and largely “the kind of player we’ve been missing since Antoine” performances, inc Hull.
  • initial concerns over Fally Mayulu from his first couple of lacklustre preseason games, but a better cameo v Willem, followed by a beauty on Saturday

means both players are in credit with the fanbase, which is encouraging so early on in their time here.

We will have to wait for Hirakawa.

And that’s (almost) forgetting Bird, who has settled in and fans talking about him as possible POTY material.

I just think most signings we have will have concerns. It is completely normal at our level. We won’t be able to sign players like Rowe from Norwich like Leeds do. I think we all know that. So I get concern about goal records and all that, just think most players who sign for city have questions. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Really exciting signing, a fair few disappointed West Ham’s hoping he would break in to the team this season.

Was never going to get a game with the amount of attacking talent they have.

1 minute ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

So does that mean he can play tonight ? 

Would not have thought so, signing the contract is after the medical and would think would needed to have been done yesterday, but will be ok for Saturday

5 hours ago, INCRED said:

I think you are wrong, Twine will come in and Earthy will be back up. No way can Twine play 90 mins every game. Competition for places and 2 for every position - simple 

I just can't see West Ham loaning him out as a back up, we've had to be straight with our plans, there's clauses etc. 

Also why not use our pathway for a back up for someone here? Him being a back up would be a very unproductive loan for all involved. Put City in West Ham's position and how we'd feel about say PH being a back up at Dundee. 

I'd say out "pursuit" hasn't ended in the sense we've left them with a bid, told them they can accept it at any time before the end of the month and would still take him at that value, but we don't believe it will be accepted and we quickly moved to plan b. 

Edited by Randy Marsh II

12 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Would not have thought so, signing the contract is after the medical and would think would needed to have been done yesterday, but will be ok for Saturday

I think loans have a quicker turnaround, so maybe he still can play tonight but I don't know

Just now, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Paraded on the pitch tonight, Sam Baldock style?

In front of about 450 fans? I hope not for his sake

15 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

I think loans have a quicker turnaround, so maybe he still can play tonight but I don't know

In front of about 450 fans? I hope not for his sake

Turn up, no training sessions, meet team mates in the changing room at 6pm? Doubt it somehow.

13 minutes ago, Randy Marsh II said:

I just can't see West Ham loaning him out as a back up, we've had to be straight with our plans, there's clauses etc. 

Also why not use our pathway for a back up for someone here? Him being a back up would be a very unproductive loan for all involved. Put City in West Ham's position and how we'd feel about say PH being a back up at Dundee. 

I'd say out "pursuit" hasn't ended in the sense we've left them with a bid, told them they can accept it at any time before the end of the month and would still take him at that value, but we don't believe it will be accepted and we quickly moved to plan b. 

I get there may be clauses and that but I always disagree on this take about a loan. A loan can be productive for a player even if he isn’t a regular. It teaches them how to be part of a squad. To see how hard your competition is working. It will be a good learning experience for him regardless of minutes. I think we may have gotten lucky Moyes has moved on in this instance though and expect him to be an important player

However, I do think this takes pressure off the Twine deal. We can play the waiting game now with Burnley, be it the correct or wrong decision. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Turn up, no training sessions, meet team mates in the changing room at 6pm? Doubt it somehow.

"Doubt it somehow" as if there is simply no precedent for it. Cheers

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

On Saturday it didn’t look like our midfielders and forwards had had any training sessions at times🙈

• Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I get there may be clauses and that but I always disagree on this take about a loan. A loan can be productive for a player even if he isn’t a regular. It teaches them how to be part of a squad. To see how hard your competition is working. It will be a good learning experience for him regardless of minutes. I think we may have gotten lucky Moyes has moved on in this instance though and expect him to be an important player

However, I do think this takes pressure off the Twine deal. We can play the waiting game now with Burnley, be it the correct or wrong decision. 

We should be experts at the waiting game’ we’ve been doing that since January.

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Doesn't really happen much these days due to transfer windows but pre transfer window I remember us signing a number of players on loan on the day of mid week matches. 

Think the cut off point was something like 2 or 3pm on the day of a midweek match. Not sure if it's still the same. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think premier league clubs are looking for more than a good learning experience for their young players. May aswell keep Earthy at West Ham if that's all they want. 

They want them to play week in and week out. If we don't agree to play him in x amount of minutes then they'll just send him to the next Championship club willing to agree to that clause.

That's just how it works and we likely do it to our players we send out on loan too. 

36 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Also things like moving away potentially living by yourself for the first time for 6-12 months can help players develop mentally as well.

Or break them ala Caulker!

Edited by grifty
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

...to the strains of Michael Jackson's "Earth Song," while S82 en masse do the Jarvis Cocker ....

Or something by Earth(y)a Kitt?

Sorry….one for our older demographic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think premier league clubs are looking for more than a good learning experience for their young players. May aswell keep Earthy at West Ham if that's all they want. 

They want them to play week in and week out. If we don't agree to play him in x amount of minutes then they'll just send him to the next Championship club willing to agree to that clause.

That's just how it works and we likely do it to our players we send out on loan too. 

Maybe I am naive about it but I just don’t think the expectation is play week in and week out. I think the expectation is a fair chance to play. You can have a good loan with 10-12 starts and 15-20 sub appearances. That is helpful for all imo. Maybe WH would want week in and week out but a professional club shouldn’t just be giving games to someone just because he arrived on loan. We may have to pay slightly more if he doesn’t play but I think most clubs are comfortable with that risk.  

45 minutes ago, grifty said:

Also things like moving away potentially living by yourself for the first time for 6-12 months can help players develop mentally as well.

Or break them ala Caulker!

Of course it can go either way! Think players are looked after better now though. 

You know we can get critical of the club for loaning out players but the track record is good. Of course I don’t remember the bad examples where a loan has maybe destroyed a young man’s confidence. However, I do remember countless loans where players have gone on to good things after. You could possibly argue Conway and Bell may have been better off with a league loan before being relied on. They have impacted games but could they have been more well rounded by now with that experience? 

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maybe I am naive about it but I just don’t think the expectation is play week in and week out. I think the expectation is a fair chance to play. You can have a good loan with 10-12 starts and 15-20 sub appearances. That is helpful for all imo. Maybe WH would want week in and week out but a professional club shouldn’t just be giving games to someone just because he arrived on loan. We may have to pay slightly more if he doesn’t play but I think most clubs are comfortable with that risk.  

Of course it can go either way! Think players are looked after better now though. 

You know we can get critical of the club for loaning out players but the track record is good. Of course I don’t remember the bad examples where a loan has maybe destroyed a young man’s confidence. However, I do remember countless loans where players have gone on to good things after. You could possibly argue Conway and Bell may have been better off with a league loan before being relied on. They have impacted games but could they have been more well rounded by now with that experience? 

The Financial picture genuinely tied our hands and actually helped their development especially Conway IMO.

Had a couple of the Webster, Kelly, Brownhill fees materialised by Summer 2022 perhaps we could've got one more in and an EFL loan possible for one not both. 

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think generally if they are fit to play they expect them to play. 

Normally players like this are out of reach of Championship clubs. The trade off to secure these talented players is agreeing to playing time clauses because West Ham will feel that 40+ games of Championship football will improve him. 

Of course we'd all like loan players to get in the team on merit. However thats a trade off we'd have to live with. Of course the club could just opt to pay the penalty clauses but then that ruins our reputation. 

If we've done our home work correctly then he should be an automatic starter anyways. 

1 hour ago, NDW4CITY said:

Or something by Earth(y)a Kitt?

Sorry….one for our older demographic.

You mean those that are just an old fashioned girl?

• Like 1

Late to the party here (long day…)

As someone who has very much been against the Twine loan(s), both on the January version (due to lack of option) and any one this season (due to concerns over quality), I’m not actually unamenable to this deal without an option.

Ultimately as long as we’re not paying through the nose (and it appears we’re not), the board have aspirations for a higher finish than where we’re generally seen. If that gets us over the line, great. It also fits with what Liam said on appointment about talking a loan while a player (in this case Stokes) develops to be ready.

I admit to knowing next to nothing about the player. But if he’s seen as enough quality to start which West Ham fans think appears to be the case, he should improve the side. And unlike Twine in January, it’s not a “vanity signing” where we can’t go up or down and is being done in enough time to help us materially over 45 games.

So, from me, having seen the purported quality and bearing in mind the timing, it’s a cautious yes and an also lets bloody hope it spells the end of any Twine pursuit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think generally if they are fit to play they expect them to play. 

Normally players like this are out of reach of Championship clubs. The trade off to secure these talented players is agreeing to playing time clauses because West Ham will feel that 40+ games of Championship football will improve him. 

Of course we'd all like loan players to get in the team on merit. However thats a trade off we'd have to live with. Of course the club could just opt to pay the penalty clauses but then that ruins our reputation. 

If we've done our home work correctly then he should be an automatic starter anyways. 

Well said, I think this young lad would be a great asset to us this season.