IGNORED

George Earthy - Season-Long Loan - CONFIRMED

jbcfc

24 minutes ago, Jimmyjimmy said:

Great news. Was a complete oversight not to use the loan system. One of the many failures of the previous manager.

Loans are often a waste of time and money unless you're expecting to be in a promotion / relegation battle.

They also often inhibit the development of your own younger players, since they naturally get less minutes with loanees arriving to take their place for the season.

At a time when we wanted to reduce costs and maximise the use and value of our younger players, avoiding loans made complete sense.

Personally, I'm still not particularly keen on the idea of signing players on loan (without option to buy) this season.

• Like 6

Just now, Supersonic Robin said:

Loans are often a waste of time and money unless you're expecting to be in a promotion / relegation battle.

They also often inhibit the development of your own younger players, since they naturally get less minutes with loanees arriving to take their place for the season.

At a time when we wanted to reduce costs and maximise the use and value of our younger players, avoiding loans made complete sense.

Personally, I'm still not particularly keen on the idea of signing players on loan (without option to buy) this season.

They are worth it if they are significantly better than what you have already i.e. Tammy and not just to pad the squad out. The feedback on GE seems pretty positive so let's hope it's worthwhile for all parties

It’s usual to have suggestions for awful songs for new signings. Why not go a bit more upmarket and have something from Shakespeare?

“This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, This earth(y) of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-Paradise.”

Throw in a few choruses of bounce around the ground and it could be a hit 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It’s usual to have suggestions for awful songs for new signings. Why not go a bit more upmarket and have something from Shakespeare?

“This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, This earth(y) of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-Paradise.”

Bet there's not many other forums that include quotes from Tom Lehrer and Shakespeare !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Out, out brief Trundle.
A bit like a walking Shadow Williams.
A player who struts and frets for an hour upon the Ashton Gate stage and then is heard no more. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

They are worth it if they are significantly better than what you have already i.e. Tammy and not just to pad the squad out. The feedback on GE seems pretty positive so let's hope it's worthwhile for all parties

Agreed and seeing as we haven't currently got anyone suited to playing as a no.10, I think it's a fair bet he'll improve us immediately.

By how much, we'll have to wait and see but the potential for a good player in this position to improve us markedly is obvious.

24 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

"This Ashton Gate fortress built by nature for herself against the Gas infection"

36 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

oh twiney,twiney,where art thou twiney?

im on the bench at burnley doris.

there you go, just needs a tune

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Excellent. 

Work colleague is West ham fan. Thinks he can be a great player for them in the future before eventually getting sold for huge cash. If we can get a decent year out of him, so be it. 

I will be amazed if we can a month out of him before he gets injured  that will be so Bristol city🙈

14 minutes ago, HammerinPeace said:

Hi All,

Hammer here who has always had soft spot for you chaps, so am glad he's headed your way.

I know you're never guaranteed anything with players of his ilk and experience but I think he's going to be a top, top player for you guys. Has the attitude and the ability already, needs to bulk up a bit but uses his frame well. Came on for us tail end of the season, for his Prem debut and in 2/3 touches looked better than any of our other options at the time, granted we were piss poor the last few months of the season but he was a real breath of fresh air, until he got knocked unconcious by Alvarez!

Other players would have let that stick with them but he came on again for us a few weeks later and bagged a goal on his 'proper' debut, a really smart finish and showed the sort of movement that you can't really train in his performance, he has a real good knack of finding space where there shouldn't be any. I can see him being a real star for you, he's been training with the first team for at least 6 months on and off and has been with us all pre-season in the USA.

Reminds me of Rice in his attitude (think you've already seen he came in to train on the off season on his own) I'd love for him to spend a season or two with you, getting you promoted and adding some edge to his game, then heading back to us as a first teamer.

Best of luck for the season and I think a lot of Hammers will have a close eye on your results this season. 

We are crying out for a natural No10 who can play in that attacking midfield role. Hopefully he hits the ground running and I dare say if he grabbed the winner against Millwall on Saturday then it will please you lot 😂

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think you’re making a rather silly point.

A slip by me. 

Have to be careful not to cross a boundary in any thread involving puns - are their umpires monitoring this sort of thing?

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

We are crying out for a natural No10 who can play in that attacking midfield role. 

Any descendants of Bobby Kellard or Gerry Gow playing?

23 minutes ago, HammerinPeace said:

Hi All,

Hammer here who has always had soft spot for you chaps, so am glad he's headed your way.

I know you're never guaranteed anything with players of his ilk and experience but I think he's going to be a top, top player for you guys. Has the attitude and the ability already, needs to bulk up a bit but uses his frame well. Came on for us tail end of the season, for his Prem debut and in 2/3 touches looked better than any of our other options at the time, granted we were piss poor the last few months of the season but he was a real breath of fresh air, until he got knocked unconcious by Alvarez!

Other players would have let that stick with them but he came on again for us a few weeks later and bagged a goal on his 'proper' debut, a really smart finish and showed the sort of movement that you can't really train in his performance, he has a real good knack of finding space where there shouldn't be any. I can see him being a real star for you, he's been training with the first team for at least 6 months on and off and has been with us all pre-season in the USA.

Reminds me of Rice in his attitude (think you've already seen he came in to train on the off season on his own) I'd love for him to spend a season or two with you, getting you promoted and adding some edge to his game, then heading back to us as a first teamer.

Best of luck for the season and I think a lot of Hammers will have a close eye on your results this season. 

Thanks for the FA cup games last year 😊

good luck for the Villa game and beyond

Edited by alexukhc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

Thanks for the FA cup games last year 😊

good luck for the Villa game and beyond

Much appreciated. A lot of people think it'll be a month or two before we start knitting things together with all the incomings.

Haha, not our finest performances but a few of our players couldn't handle being roughed up a little. Benrahma signed his exit off with his stupid red card against you, most frustrating player I've watched in many years so I guess we have you to thank for that!

Callum Marshall is the other of our biggest forward prospects but we have a great crop coming through currently of which Earthy is in the top 3, Huddersfield Town have taken Callum off our hands for the season. He has a goal and an assist in the first half of his debut tonight. Him and Earthy are about on par I'd say currently. Potts is the other one for us, he was Wycombe's supporters and player's player of the season last year. Not sure if we are keeping him around the first team squad but I wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned to a Championship side this year too, way too good for L1. Hopefully Earthy puts in a good word.

Edited by HammerinPeace
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t think Twine will make the difference between promotion or not. Maybe 10th place instead of 12th.

If we get this lad on loan and he is as good as west ham fans say he is, just enjoy watching him while he is here.

It could be the platform needed to keep progressing and building.

Every club over talks their young talented players, just look at how many people said Scott would be on par with Bellingham (absurd). I think this lad could be talented, we won't know until we see him but I don't see how it can be a platform for progressing and building if one season later we'll be looking to replace him.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Maybe, but a lot of very good observations from Spike, whether you agree with them or not!  There seems to be a view (generalisation) that it was just a game of missed chances / missed opportunities to create chances, all on City.  But that’s a very one-sided view of the whole 90 (plus injury time)…and doesn’t give Hull any credit for some of the problems they caused us too, regardless of when in the game they happened.  We were not as good defensively on Saturday as we were most of the time last season.  In creating new shapes / patterns we created some exposures too.  Down the side of Dickie for example because of Pring’s high positioning and Mehmeti inverting.

But, it’s just one game.  We should be looking at trends over the next half a dozen games.  Is this now the new-City-way, or just a bit of rustiness, etc.

But that space behind our left-back is something to keep an eye on, because it was there v Willem too.

Adding something somewhere can often mean losing something somewhere else.  Especially if you don’t have the best players in the league.

I think there were some encouraging signs though, overall pribsbly a bit more in the ✅ column than the ❌ column.

I really hope that it’s just a missing no10 as the final piece of the jigsaw.

This is why I usually appreciate Daves view, he looks at the games from both sides. 
I'm sat here watching the game against Coventry, who in my opinion are far better than Hull, and it's looking very much the same as Hull in terms of the balance. Going forward we look sharper, good shapes, and linking passes to move up the pitch but when defending we're getting caught out a lot.
The extra issue with today is that Coventry quality is forcing us to make more errors and they're far more dangerous with the ball, the Coventry goal saw us undone with a few passes.

I think we'll get far more entertaining games this season but I think we're going to see us concede a lot more goals as we don't look comfortable defending against a fast break but that's going to be a far more common thing for us to defend against when we push up and play in this new style.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

If he watched that tonight I bet he’s sprinting  up coronation rd for the last train back to the smoke 

No chance of that, trains back to London considering the lengthy walk back to TM just dont happen. 

On BBCRB, Manning asked by them about Earthy, pauses, whispers to (I Assume) Sheridan Robins something like “is it done”.  Reply “no”.  Reply to BBCRB “no I can’t tell you anything”.

It was more comedic than “don’t tell em yer name pike”.

+++++

And he still continues to talk about Twine, still trying.

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Think Earthy walks into our team Saturday. Below for me, Naismith played really well and will be knocking on the door 

Max

Tanner Vyner Dickie Pring

Bird Knight 

Sykes Earthy Mehmeti

Fally

Christ we’re so weak down the right

2 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Genuine question PH (not argumentative), would Earthy be "more ready" because of his EPL background? :thumbsup:

Background and pedigree for sure should contribute, and the fact he’s been in/around their first team set up for the last year or so and is very well thought of. 

I can’t lie, the whole thing gives me Tammy mkII vibes. In a great way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Background and pedigree for sure should contribute, and the fact he’s been in/around their first team set up for the last year or so and is very well thought of. 

I can’t lie, the whole thing gives me Tammy mkII vibes. In a great way. 

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

the whole thing gives me Tammy mkII vibes

When I first saw the story that was also my first thoughts, hence the question mate, let's hope it works out as well as that one did :thumbsup:.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, he’ll play him wide.

Manning sees him as a striker, only way Armstrong plays wide is if we are chasing a game and he throws Mayulu on off the bench and moves Armstrong wide.

No chance he starts him in a wide position, doesn't suit the build up and Manning patterns of play that he wants us to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Manning sees him as a striker, only way Armstrong plays wide is if we are chasing a game and he throws Mayulu on off the bench and moves Armstrong wide.

No chance he starts him in a wide position, doesn't suit the build up and Manning patterns of play that he wants us to play.

Manning said at the weekend that Armstrong can play wide for him too.

It’s an option that he could use him to put pressure on the full-back to stop them hitting unpressured diags.  Don’t forget Msnning is the type of manager that sets up for the opposition.

4 minutes ago, FNQ said:

That is until the opposition change things up mid game..

As I said in the MDT tonight, Robins tweaked it h-t and we didn’t react.  It’s ok for LM to say post-match that they went a bit more direct, but why didn’t he react to that?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

As I said in the MDT tonight, Robins tweaked it h-t and we didn’t react.  It’s ok for LM to say post-match that they went a bit more direct, but why didn’t he react to that?

It's something I noticed last season. 

Basically "good first half lads, more of the same 2nd half" 

Manning them fails to recognise that the opposing team is going to make changes if they've not played too well and fails to react to those changes. 

We looked like rabbits in headlights when they brought 5 subs on. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Manning said at the weekend that Armstrong can play wide for him too.

It’s an option that he could use him to put pressure on the full-back to stop them hitting unpressured diags.  Don’t forget Msnning is the type of manager that sets up for the opposition.

I know we have invested in potential with Armstrong, and that just looking at his goal scoring record is a very simplistic look at things without telling the full story, but I find it hard to believe we thought we were buying an out and out goal scorer. I assumed he was a wide man who could play down the middle if needed, not the other way around?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's something I noticed last season. 

Basically "good first half lads, more of the same 2nd half" 

Manning them fails to recognise that the opposing team is going to make changes if they've not played too well and fails to react to those changes. 

We looked like rabbits in headlights when they brought 5 subs on. 

Tin hat on, and I didn’t see the game last night. 

This was an observation I first made post Boro home and Soton away (so 3 games in), because it was totally noticeable that we didn’t adapt to any changes made by the opposition. As often said, the higher you go, the better the coaches and managers earn their corn by reacting in the game 

I’ve no doubt Liam a) can come up with a plan to counter a side pre game and b) in analysis post game work out what went wrong. It’s the 1-90 that is a bit of an Achilles heel.

As I’ve said prior, my review point this season is 10-12 games, but continuation of a problem we had last season is not an early good sign if reports are to be believed.

• Like 1

Why are the club so secretive these days ? when asked about Earthy after the game last night LM just said things are progressing yet at the West Ham end they had anounced he had had his medical yesterday morning and signed for the season on loan yesterday afternoon.  He was even photographed watching the game last night Why not just come out and tell us we could have done with some good news after that awful show last night (2nd half) 

Same thing happened with Armstrong it was two days before it was confirmed to the fans

2 minutes ago, westonred said:

Why are the club so secretive these days ? when asked about Earthy after the game last night LM just said things are progressing yet at the West Ham end they had anounced he had had his medical yesterday morning and signed for the season on loan yesterday afternoon.  He was even photographed watching the game last night Why not just come out and tell us we could have done with some good news after that awful show last night (2nd half) 

Same thing happened with Armstrong it was two days before it was confirmed to the fans

Because those running the club are a bunch of amateurs.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

Generally, I think that's a real weakness of LM. He's not proactive enough, he's reactive. I'm looking for the positives, that spark, but I'm seeing same old same old win one, draw one, lose one. Maybe GE & ST will be his catalyst, I hope so.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Swede said:

Generally, I think that's a real weakness of LM. He's not proactive enough, he's reactive. I'm looking for the positives, that spark, but I'm seeing same old same old win one, draw one, lose one. Maybe GE & ST will be his catalyst, I hope so.

Southgate equivalent of club football? 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fair, but I would also add to that what Robins could turn to, compared to Manning, was chalk & cheese.

We could have brought on Bird, but otherwise Mehmeti aside (& I know he divides opinion) it wasn’t much that could change things.

We gave a kid his senior debut & introduced a hard running striker with an abysmal goal record.

I understand why we brought Armstrong in, but posts talking about him getting double figures this season are lottery win stuff.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, he’ll play him wide.

Do we think we'll see a Yu Fally Armstrong front three at some point? I know @GrahamC thought not but might be worth a try!

With Earthy in behind.

Edited by DaveF

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair, but I would also add to that what Robins could turn to, compared to Manning, was chalk & cheese.

We could have brought on Bird, but otherwise Mehmeti aside (& I know he divides opinion) it wasn’t much that could change things.

We gave a kid his senior debut & introduced a hard running striker with an abysmal goal record.

I understand why we brought Armstrong in, but posts talking about him getting double figures this season are lottery win stuff.

Spot on ….made the point yesterday that Cov had quality depth to bring on but have also in comparison to us spent a fortune.  We literally ran out of steam but sometimes you have to say that they had better options than us rather than we were shit or didn’t adapt to changes.  It’s where we are unfortunately.

• Like 2

Just now, Shuffle said:

Spot on ….made the point yesterday that Cov had quality depth to bring on but have also in comparison to us spent a fortune.  We literally ran out of steam but sometimes you have to say that they had better options than us rather than we were shit or didn’t adapt to changes.  It’s where we are unfortunately.

Yep thanks to the new approach post even the FFP reset.

Their wage bill last year will be very interesting to see..£30m+?

11 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Also means we’re looking at the virtual impossibility of needing everyone being fit.

If Yu was, McCrorie to give Tanner competition/ a rest & we add this mythical “10” then we suddenly have better options.

Still worry about how many goals this squad has.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, westonred said:

Like most other clubs, it’s for the 👀 on social media, building it all up, the media dept will be targeted on this - hits, views, reach etc. Last few signings have had a ‘first day’ video alongside it, so imagine this would have been filmed yesterday. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, westonred said:

But we have tinnion leaking information like a sieve , which is ridiculously unprofessional . I’d much rather have it that nothing is said until it’s done . I don’t get the need for information all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Desperate times etc but.

Mehmeti Earthy Armstrong

Fally

?

Desperate? Some way to go to be ideal (note British love of understatement), but that’s hyperbole.

3 minutes ago, bcdc said:

Desperate? Some way to go to be ideal (note British love of understatement), but that’s hyperbole.

I'm struggling a bit in respect of where the goals come from and the injuries are starting to rise already.

(McCrorie, Atkinson, Bell)

Yu yet to kick a ball.

Murphy again.

Any I've missed?

Ah while not injured, Conway internally exiled.

Not desperate no but not great either.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous