IGNORED

George Earthy - Season-Long Loan - CONFIRMED

jbcfc

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Fair, but I would also add to that what Robins could turn to, compared to Manning, was chalk & cheese.

... which is all the more remarkable when you remind yourself (but wish you didn't) that when LJ and Ashton were here and we'd just finished 8th, Cov had just finished 6th in L2. Ten years ago they were playing home games in Northampton and gates of 2500.

Today, Cov have 22000 season ticket holders, and a spring in their step

• Like 5

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I know we have invested in potential with Armstrong, and that just looking at his goal scoring record is a very simplistic look at things without telling the full story, but I find it hard to believe we thought we were buying an out and out goal scorer. I assumed he was a wide man who could play down the middle if needed, not the other way around?

I agree, Basically Armstrong can play across the front line, and used by QPR in all 3 positions, left right and centre.  I just think it’s typical striker “development” that they often get their first starts in wide positions.

I see him a bit more like Semenyo, even if you start him central he won’t play truly like a CF, but will drift around.

2 hours ago, westonred said:

Why are the club so secretive these days ? when asked about Earthy after the game last night LM just said things are progressing yet at the West Ham end they had anounced he had had his medical yesterday morning and signed for the season on loan yesterday afternoon.  He was even photographed watching the game last night Why not just come out and tell us we could have done with some good news after that awful show last night (2nd half) 

Same thing happened with Armstrong it was two days before it was confirmed to the fans

Is that West Ham officially, or just a twitter account called exWestHam employee, or West Ham football (not the official site) and others?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Fair, but I would also add to that what Robins could turn to, compared to Manning, was chalk & cheese.

We could have brought on Bird, but otherwise Mehmeti aside (& I know he divides opinion) it wasn’t much that could change things.

We gave a kid his senior debut & introduced a hard running striker with an abysmal goal record.

I understand why we brought Armstrong in, but posts talking about him getting double figures this season are lottery win stuff.

Robins made his tweaks with his starting eleven at h-t, it didn’t happen with the subs.

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Do we think we'll see a Yu Fally Armstrong front three at some point? I know @GrahamC thought not but might be worth a try!

With Earthy in behind.

possibly.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

... which is all the more remarkable when you remind yourself (but wish you didn't) that when LJ and Ashton were here and we'd just finished 8th, Cov had just finished 6th in L2. Ten years ago they were playing home games in Northampton and gates of 2500.

Today, Cov have 22000 season ticket holders, and a spring in their step

Robins dragged them up despite terrible ownership mostly.

Return to Coventry coinciding with Championship football helped greatly.

That was a great springboard and woeful owners sold up in late 2022 finally and and the woeful ownership meant not much money was spent so strong FFP headroom.

Which created room for, helped significantly by the Hamer and Gykores sales that summer, strong investment and probably 2-3 year Project.

Under LJ we were running significant losses that would've caught up barring continued sales, indeed if not for Sales a £25-28m loss that year..we really needed Promotion by 2020-21 before shit hit the fan.

As in up to and including 2020-21. Perhaps had we pulled a wonder season out in 2021-22 but after that the prognosis was bad.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's something I noticed last season. 

Basically "good first half lads, more of the same 2nd half" 

Manning them fails to recognise that the opposing team is going to make changes if they've not played too well and fails to react to those changes. 

We looked like rabbits in headlights when they brought 5 subs on. 

Could argue they were rabbit in headlights first half as we spurned countless chances. 
We didn’t take our chances when on top but they did take theirs. 
Was frustrating tho how every sub improved them whereas each of ours seemed to make us worse! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The chief said:

Could argue they were rabbit in headlights first half as we spurned countless chances. 
Was frustrating tho how every sub improved them whereas each of ours seemed to make us worse! 

Other teams subs always seem to be what is required to change the game. Ours always seem to be pre planned regardless of the game. Been that way for years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marmite said:

Other teams subs always seem to be what is required to change the game. Ours always seem to be pre planned regardless of the game. Been that way for years.

Not always.

Do you remember QPR at Home last year..quadruple substitution on the hour.

It certainly changed the game but unfortunately for the worse as already a goal down we subsequently were cut open time after time on the break especially in the last 15 iirc.

6 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

I don't get why he took Fally off. could he have played both the new lads up front. we needed goals

Nothing to lose, we should of brought Armstrong on last few mins for Tanner instead of Mayulu. 3412

Bajic

Vyner 

Naismith 

Roberts

Cornick

Gardner-Hickman 

Williams 

Mehmeti 

Stokes

Mayulu 

Armstrong 

• Like 1

Would love to know how many (and what percentage) of our goals are conceded between 46th and 60th minute and after the 85th minute. Even my better half who doesn’t follow football will say ‘Well you’re going to lose that one then’ if we’re one goal up with 5 to play. 
Can any stattos on here give the figures for last couple of seasons. 
Ps probably wrong thread but hey 

48 minutes ago, The chief said:

Yeah, I thought it was interesting they brought on 5 subs who started on Saturday so you could say their first team.

We brought on Cornick and Williams…

5 minutes ago, grifty said:

Yeah, I thought it was interesting they brought on 5 subs who started on Saturday so you could say their first team.

Our squad isn't quite deep enough yet. That is above Manning all told, SL should've spent a bit less on potential and a bit more on the here and now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Would love to know how many (and what percentage) of our goals are conceded between 46th and 60th minute and after the 85th minute. Even my better half who doesn’t follow football will say ‘Well you’re going to lose that one then’ if we’re one goal up with 5 to play. 
Can any stattos on here give the figures for last couple of seasons. 
Ps probably wrong thread but hey 

https://www.soccerstats.com/team.asp?league=england2_2024&stats=5-bristol-city

you can change the season at the top 

51 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Our squad isn't quite deep enough yet. That is above Manning all told, SL should've spent a bit less on potential and a bit more on the here and now.

I was saying this a lot last season. We bring in young players with potential like Tanner, Sykes, Knight, Roberts, Mayulu, Armstrong, TGH, Mehmeti and expect them to realise that potential immediately. Unsurprisingly they've had mixed fortunes, ups and downs and we're an inconsistent team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I was saying this a lot last season. We bring in young players with potential like Tanner, Sykes, Knight, Roberts, Mayulu, Armstrong, TGH, Mehmeti and expect them to realise that potential immediately. Unsurprisingly they've had mixed fortunes, ups and downs and we're an inconsistent team.

Unfortunately the big Red Flag there is raw strikers.

Roberts is in and out, Knight is very good mainly..Sykes has been messed around positionally and isn't so young anymore, TGH is in and out- Tanner is now a very good (IMO) defensive 1 v 1 full back, Mehemti can't make my mind up on.

However if both of your strikers are raw and the team begin slowly that is the big issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Roberts is in and out, Knight is very good mainly..Sykes has been messed around positionally and isn't so young anymore, TGH is in and out- Tanner is now a very good (IMO) defensive 1 v 1 full back, Mehemti can't make my mind up on.

However if both of your strikers are raw and the team begin slowly that is the big issue.

But ultimately most of those players are still 2-5 years off their peak/prime. Who is willing to be patient? And how many of those players will be sold before reaching their full potential?

Just now, mozo said:

But ultimately most of those players are still 2-5 years off their peak/prime. Who is willing to be patient? And how many of those players will be sold before reaching their full potential?

I did read on the Derby forum a week or 2 ago actually that bid(s) for Knight turned down fwiw. No idea of veracity.

The issue with the patience in that instance is that Manning is under pressure to get results to some degree, and when you have raw strikers that is the position whereby patience is least viable. Without Goals etc.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

So what you’re really saying is if we are gonna recruit young because they’re cheaper…we need to recruit better youngsters!  So that they can still make the necessary impact whilst here at City???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wouldn't say that Mayulu is raw, looks quite accomplished to me.

I thought Armstrong looked very raw at the start of pre-season, but his game at Hull didn't appear to have the same rough edges. Its very early days, but I'm thinking both will grow into the season - but patience is needed.

We do have a good depth of squad if all are in form, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with Williams and Sykes especially not looking at their best and TGH (who I really rate) didn't do himself justice last night. 

This season may be a case of a slow burn.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So what you’re really saying is if we are gonna recruit young because they’re cheaper…we need to recruit better youngsters!  So that they can still make the necessary impact whilst here at City???

The paradox being that better young players will cost more.

I think we've recruited really well in terms of assets to make a profit on. But I don't think this strategy creates a top 6 team unless you're very lucky. 

Personally I'm accepting of the situation, so long as we manage incremental improvement.

• Like 2

Just now, bcfc01 said:

I wouldn't say that Mayulu is raw, looks quite accomplished to me.

I thought Armstrong looked very raw at the start of pre-season, but his game at Hull didn't appear to have the same rough edges. Its very early days, but I'm thinking both will grow into the season - but patience is needed.

We do have a good depth of squad if all are in form, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with Williams and Sykes especially not looking at their best and TGH (who I really rate) didn't do himself justice last night. 

This season may be a case of a slow burn.

Agreed, on the Mayulu point. I think its less of him adapting to others its about them adapting to him, where he's going to be and what he's going to do. He's a different player to what we've grown accustomed to here.

A number of times players are playing balls without looking up and not finding him. It's probably coordination issue on both ends, but some of his more promising positions aren't being found.

I really want Armstrong when he finds himself out wide 1-on-1, to stand up defenders he doesn't seem to be comfortable doing it, and I'm not sure why with his pace and power he could blitz past players.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Agreed, on the Mayulu point. I think its less of him adapting to others its about them adapting to him, where he's going to be and what he's going to do. He's a different player to what we've grown accustomed to here.

A number of times players are playing balls without looking up and not finding him. It's probably coordination issue on both ends, but some of his more promising positions aren't being found.

I really want Armstrong when he finds himself out wide 1-on-1, to stand up defenders he doesn't seem to be comfortable doing it, and I'm not sure why with his pace and power he could blitz past players.

It was begging for it last night with jay dasilva, accomplished though he is with the ball at his feet,, dealing with that sort of power isnt his forte.

1 hour ago, grifty said:

As mentioned they had quality in depth on the bench.

Watching on EFL IFollow it was CCFC commentary with (I think) Steve Ogrizowic. It was interesting that they stated M. Robins was unhappy with their weekend performance effort of certain individuals. It was intimated that the 5 that came on were those that didn’t put in the effort…so a point to prove ?

47 minutes ago, Lavington Robin said:

As mentioned they had quality in depth on the bench.

Watching on EFL IFollow it was CCFC commentary with (I think) Steve Ogrizowic. It was interesting that they stated M. Robins was unhappy with their weekend performance effort of certain individuals. It was intimated that the 5 that came on were those that didn’t put in the effort…so a point to prove ?

So did we with Pring, Bird, Dickie, Mehmeti & Armstrong.

I guess I’m saying they brought on their 1sts, whereas we brought on a guy who by all accounts is surplus to requirements and a another who lost is head and cost us a win on Saturday!

18 minutes ago, pigeon said:

Does anyone know what the delay is? Given he was at the game last night, bit odd it's not been announced yet...

There isn’t a delay.

Transfers don’t happen in minutes, despite what some on here might think.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, fly in the air said:

I don't get why he took Fally off. could he have played both the new lads up front. we needed goals

Because LM doesn’t think like a Nigel Pearson, Terry Cooper or Steve Cotterill who have played the game.

He is a coach with training ground mentality and look what it’s providing us with exactly the same dross as last season. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 3

5 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Maybe they’re doing photo shoots and interviews etc ready for the announcement 

He’ll have been training this morning with the team.
With him being at AG last night, I’d say a lot of the media side of things would have been done then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

The paradox being that better young players will cost more.

I think we've recruited really well in terms of assets to make a profit on. But I don't think this strategy creates a top 6 team unless you're very lucky. 

Personally I'm accepting of the situation, so long as we manage incremental improvement.

Agree.

Agree.

Me too.  We have to be careful that incremental improvement isn’t just seen as league position.  Because that can hide things, both on field (sometimes poor results catch up with poor performances - LJ) and off field (Finances because of squad bloat or amortisation because no youngsters are breaking through).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, grifty said:

So did we with Pring, Bird, Dickie, Mehmeti & Armstrong.

I guess I’m saying they brought on their 1sts, whereas we brought on a guy who by all accounts is surplus to requirements and a another who lost is head and cost us a win on Saturday!

In the main are they positions who would impact the game?

I suppose you could go back 3 and play Pring Wingback but who is suited to the right side 

Dickie, in this context how does he impact the game.

Bird will offer more composure,  Armstrong did come on I thought.

Mehmeti is unpredictable so may as well.

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There isn’t a delay.

Transfers don’t happen in minutes, despite what some on here might think.

Well, as per my second sentence, he was at the game last night, so I wasn't suggesting the transfer would be "done in minutes"... Mr Snarky

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I suppose you could go back 3 and play Pring Wingback but who is suited to the right side 

Tbf I would hope my best Centre Half would always affect the game whatever the context......by being defensively solid, bringing the ball out, playing the odd pass that breaks lines and (ignore the poor delivery so far) being a threat at set pieces.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Tbf I would hope my best Centre Half would always affect the game whatever the context......by being defensively solid, bringing the ball out, playing the odd pass that breaks lines and (ignore the poor delivery so far) being a threat at set pieces.

I see what you mean, I suppose you could move Naismith into midfield a bit..it just isn't the kind of subsitition that is often made when chasing the game.

I guess the suggestion would be a fit McCrorie. If what we've seen has cost us £2M, hmmm. I think there's alot more to come from Ross, at least I hope so.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

I guess the suggestion would be a fit McCrorie. If what we've seen has cost us £2M, hmmm. I think there's alot more to come from Ross, at least I hope so.

Ah yes if McCrorie was fit I can then while not fully okay with get behind the McCrorie, Pring wingback and Naismith must be part of the back 3 for fluidity but as it stands now Tanner and Sykes IMO aren't an ideal fit for wingback.

I still prefer a back 4 but that's just me.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I see what you mean, I suppose you could move Naismith into midfield a bit..it just isn't the kind of subsitition that is often made when chasing the game.

It's not, I agree, but bringing one of your best players on can never be a hindrance. Interesting you mention Naismith who for me would be a far better option when chasing a game than either Williams or TGH.......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah yes if McCrorie was fit I can then while not fully okay with get behind the McCrorie, Pring wingback and Naismith must be part of the back 3 for fluidity but as it stands now Tanner and Sykes IMO aren't an ideal fit for wingback.

I still prefer a back 4 but that's just me.

I'm with you pal 👍 

• Like 1

Pring I don’t particularly rate going forward but he is our first choice LB /LWB.

I can’t see Dickie giving Simms the freedom of our half to score.

Bird should be more effective than TGH and Williams.

Mehmeti is a better winger and more likely to do something from the wing than Cornick even if he blows hot and cold.

Armstrong came on in the 80th minute, which for me is generally too late to properly impact a game.

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It's not, I agree, but bringing one of your best players on can never be a hindrance. Interesting you mention Naismith who for me would be a far better option when chasing a game than either Williams or TGH.......

I've always had a view that Naismith as the deepest of a midfield 3 could help to circulate the ball better..Dickie and Vyner to Naismith, into the midfield line ahead into the striker.

Remember Naismith, Scott and one of Williams or James- granted a £20-25m player helps a hell of a lot!

I'd be very keen to start Naismith fitness permitting.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, grifty said:

Pring I don’t particularly rate going forward but he is our first choice LB /LWB.

Mehmeti is a better winger and more likely to do something from the wing than Cornick even if he blows hot and cold.

Armstrong came on in the 80th minute, which for me is generally too late to properly impact a game.

Did Roberts do enough last night? Not sure he did tbh. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

You need to remember he is playing catch up with his match sharpness and fitness he has a disrupted pre season due to injury.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grifty said:

Think Pring still has more to give attacking wise, there was potential for him as an outlet 18 months to 2 years back. All the same he seems best suited to LB/LWB.

I get a lot of your points but who do we take off..do we take off TGH, move Naismith up a bit or bring on Dickie and make a back 3?

TGH in a 2 sure..how about TGH in a 3 giving him a bit of license? 3 CMs can be better control wise.

4 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

You need to remember he is playing catch up with his match sharpness and fitness he has a disrupted pre season due to injury.

Of course. I actually like Roberts, good player.

Pring is ahead of him but I wouldn't have a problem if Cam did go as Roberts is decent too.

Edited by Ska Junkie

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

He had some good runs, but last night probably not.

End of last season left side of back 3 he was often our most creative player! I think that’s where he would excel and would prefer Naismith in the middle but not at the expense of Knight or Bird.

Just now, grifty said:

He had some good runs, but last night probably not.

End of last season left side of back 3 he was often our most creative player! I think that’s where he would excel and would prefer Naismith in the middle but not at the expense of Knight or Bird.

Total agreement from me Grifty. Nice dilemmas for LM. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think Pring still has more to give attacking wise, there was potential for him as an outlet 18 months to 2 years back. All the same he seems best suited to LB/LWB.

I get a lot of your points but who do we take off..do we take off TGH, move Naismith up a bit or bring on Dickie and make a back 3?

TGH in a 2 sure..how about TGH in a 3 giving him a bit of license? 3 CMs can be better control wise.

It’s like Pring has lost attacking confidence over 18 months. He rarely runs at players anymore or tries early whipped balls, etc.

Id prefer him to do that more often than receive the ball, take a touch and then pass back to Dickie which is what he has done 90% of the time recently.

Id love to see more bravery from our players. Take someone on, have a pile driving shot. If it doesn’t work out, fine but it keeps the opposition guessing as to what you’ll do next.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've always had a view that Naismith as the deepest of a midfield 3 could help to circulate the ball better..Dickie and Vyner to Naismith, into the midfield line ahead into the striker.

Remember Naismith, Scott and one of Williams or James- granted a £20-25m player helps a hell of a lot!

I'd be very keen to start Naismith fitness permitting.

If you can get over the fact that he will do daft things on occasion, Naismith is a very useful player to have at your disposal. A genuine utility player.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, westonred said:

Surely the big City logo on top of a picture of the London Stadium is a bit of a giveaway that this picture is a fake?

Edited by Betty Swallocks
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Surely the big City logo on top of a picture of the London Stadium is a bit of a giveaway that this picture is a fake?

And the badge on the t-shirt and some touching up around it.

8 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

If people spent as much time and effort into other things maybe the world would be a better place, just saying !

25 minutes ago, westonred said:

Been Confirmed No sorry it was a wind up which i fell for sorry guys

You will need to lie prostrate in front of S82 on Saturday in the 7th Minute of the game to beg forgiveness.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cheese said:

You will need to lie prostrate in front of S82 on Saturday in the 7th Minute of the game to beg forgiveness.

To be fair if that's the end we're attacking that's the safest place to be as nobody will be looking that way... 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep thanks to the new approach post even the FFP reset.

Their wage bill last year will be very interesting to see..£30m+?

Coventry interest me. 

New owner comes in. Doesn't appear to have a huge amount of wealth behind him but immediately targets promotion. 

Selling Gyokeres and Hamer and having 20k season ticket holders of course helps to fund that ambition. 

However if I was a Coventry fan I'd be cautious of the spending considering the financial problems they went through previously. 

It almost feels like premier league or bust in some ways. 

They won't always get 20k season ticket holders. Its at a high because of a combination of they've had a good few seasons and they spent a fee season away from Coventry. In league one they were getting well under 10k for home games for example. 

Great support when they're doing well but poor support otherwise. 

With us you can forecast that well get around 15k season tickets a season so that helps with long term budget planning. With them you can't do that. 

Then there is the fact that they don't own their own stadium and therefore have to rent it and then on top of that they don't get a full share of match day revenues. 

I do worry about how they will fund their now bloated wage bill in the future. Feels a bit like us a few years ago. Having to rely upon player sales to pay the bills. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Coventry interest me. 

New owner comes in. Doesn't appear to have a huge amount of wealth behind him but immediately targets promotion. 

Selling Gyokeres and Hamer and having 20k season ticket holders of course helps to fund that ambition. 

However if I was a Coventry fan I'd be cautious of the spending considering the financial problems they went through previously. 

It almost feels like premier league or bust in some ways. 

They won't always get 20k season ticket holders. Its at a high because of a combination of they've had a good few seasons and they spent a fee season away from Coventry. In league one they were getting well under 10k for home games for example. 

Great support when they're doing well but poor support otherwise. 

With us you can forecast that well get around 15k season tickets a season so that helps with long term budget planning. With them you can't do that. 

Then there is the fact that they don't own their own stadium and therefore have to rent it and then on top of that they don't get a full share of match day revenues. 

I do worry about how they will fund their now bloated wage bill in the future. Feels a bit like us a few years ago. Having to rely upon player sales to pay the bills. 

A bit like us not too long ago maybe? 2 big sales and then almost entirely spending what they brought in. Its certainly fun but if it doesn't pan out it hurts you big time. Their recruitment so far seems good enough, can imagine a player like Simms leaving on a big fee in a few years.

But just like it did with us that can turn, a couple who get plagued with injuries, a couple who don't work out and suddenly you're in big trouble.

Personally, I don't think they'll get promoted anytime soon. They had their best chance and blew it unfortunately, this year is another good chance, but I don't think any of their players are currently close to Hamer and certainly not Gyokeres. 

I'd love to be proven wrong though. If City can't go up I'd rather non-parachute payment clubs go up.