IGNORED

Coventry City League Cup: Official Matchday Thread

Jerseybean

We welcome Coventry City to Ashton Gate with a 1945 kick off on Tuesday 13 August.

On Saturday they were away to Stoke and they lost 1-0.

Their history began in 1883 as Singers FC (the team was founded by workers at a bicycle firm called Singers Motors, known today as a sewing machine company). In 1898, the name was changed to Coventry City FC.

They had a great run in last seasons FA Cup eventually losing on penalties in the semi finals to Manchester United https://coventryobserver.co.uk/sport/football-coventry-citys-fa-cup-run-will-be-spoken-about-for-a-long-time-says-robins/

While victory in the FA Cup final against Spurs in 1987 remains long in the memory,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_FA_Cup_final

They have been semi-finalists twice in the Football League Cup, as this competition was previously called, interesting piece here about the sponsorship of this competition: https://thehexblog.com/2024/02/23/from-milk-cup-to-carabao-cup-the-evolution-of-league-cup-sponsorship/#:~:text=Most recently, the League Cup,and popularity of the tournament.

There have been  various sponsors over the years, many with a drink link.

Sponsor

Years

Tournament Name

Milk Marketing Board

1966-1981

Football League Cup sponsored by the Milk Marketing Board

Littlewoods

1981-1986

Littlewoods Challenge Cup

Rumbelows

1992-1994

Rumbelows Cup

Coca-Cola

1994-1998

Coca-Cola Cup

Worthington

1998-2003

Worthington Cup

Carling

2003-2012

Carling Cup

Capital One

2012-2016

Capital One Cup

Carabao

2017-present

Carabao Cup

Our head-to-head record is remarkable, we have faced each other 75 times and there have been 25 wins, 25 defeats and 25 draws!

Last time we met them in this competition, in 2022, we won 4-1 away https://www.footballdatabase.eu/en/match/overview/2422970-coventry-bristol_city

They have sold out their 2,500 ticket allocation for the 93 mile trip from Coventry.

Their MDT, https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/bristol-city-fc-coventry-city-lc-match-thread-tuesday-13th-aug.161669/

Sports Mole going for a narrow away win, https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/bristol-city/league-cup/preview/preview-bristol-city-vs-coventry-prediction-team-news-lineups_550141.html

Ref is James Bell from South Yorkshire, who reffed us once last season at Leicester when we lost 1-0.

Players who have represented both clubs include Louis Carey, Kasey Palmer and Jay DaSilva (the latter two were both on the bench last weekend, so may well get a start against their old club.)

In his brief loan spell with us their manager, Mark Robins, scored five goals in eight appearances and helped City reach the 2003 Football League Trophy Final. However, by the time of the final he was recalled by Rotherham and unable to play. We went on to win the final 2-0 against Carlisle in his absence. He is currently the longest serving Championship manager.

They signed Macarthur winger Raphel Borges Rodrigues. The 20-year-old was born in Maastricht, Holland but represents Australia’s U23s. He’s also eligible for Brazil. He primarily plays as a left-winger but can operate anywhere across the front three. Borges Rodrigues notched six goals and two assists in 33 games last season.

They also added midfielder Jack Rudoni from relegated Huddersfield Town for an undisclosed fee. The 23-year-old Londoner became City's third summer signing following the arrival of Australian winger Raphael Borges Rodrigues and defender Luis Binks.

Luis Binks arrived from Italian Serie A side Bologna for an undisclosed fee. The 22-year-old centre-back, was on loan with the Sky Blues last season.

All of them signed four-year deals.

Also signed Brandon Thomas-Asante from Midlands rivals West Bromwich Albion. The 25-year-old, former Salford City, striker also signed a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Travel info, https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-men-news/travel-information-coventry-city-carabao-cup/

All Carabao Cup game highlights will be on ITV4 on Wednesday at 2325.

IMG_5235.jpeg

IMG_5238.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wonder if any of Roberts, Naismith or TGH might start.

Or more intriguingly, perhaps Stokes might feature- not start but feature.

I’d go 

Oleary, Tanner, Dickie, Naismith, Roberts

TGH Knight

Mehmeti Wells Bell

Fally

21 minutes ago, One Team said:

Cardiff Vs Gas tonight too. Tough one to side on there but it might be one time I want a Gas win to set up the possibility of the first derby in 11 years! 

How ever shite they are at any time , I am always as nervous as fxxk when ever we play them 

39 minutes ago, Big C said:

Starting XI: Bajic, Naismith, Mayulu, Knight, Vyner, Sykes, Tanner, Bell, Wells, Gardner-Hickman, Roberts   Subs: O’Leary, Pring, Bird, Williams, Mehmeti, Dickie, Stokes, Cornick, Armstrong

Just realised thats 7 changes from Saturday and we still look pretty strong 

with Yu Atkinson The new lad from West Ham if we get him and possibly Ayman that has to be the deepest squad for a fair few years - I won’t even mention Twine even though I just have , getting bored of that saga now

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Tommy loaned to Crewe then?

That might be the best he gets the way it’s going 

• Like 1

1st impressions; Coventry's left winger looks dangerous. City's midfielders are winning the ball often enough, just the final through ball tat's letting us down.

I don't know where Sky have dragged up this commentator from but he's pretty uninspiring!!

The problem is they have so many games to cover they don't have enough good commentators!!

Good shot from Fally - good to see he worked into a space and shot!

• Like 1

Just now, TheCulturalBomb said:

I just get the feeling whenever Mayulu is on the ball something good is gonna happen. 

Just now, Harvey86 said:

I’m liking Fallys little give and go touches

He looks like one of those players who can find a yard of space without really trying.

• Like 1

I see no reason why Mayulu could not be our number 10, in his sub appearance and on 3 or 4 occasions tonight, ball played to feet back to goal, turns and pushes accurate balls into runners around the box.  Too early to tell, but he has the attributes from initial viewing

• Like 1

TGH and Knight driving me nuts so far.

Play the ball with some actual pace and communicate with each other when man on.

Four times between the two of then we could have been in.