IGNORED

Coventry City League Cup: Official Matchday Thread

Jerseybean

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

Gardener -Hickman. He wasn't this bad when he joined. He just cannot pass to a City player.

Seems like a confidence player

Came in with a role to play last season , now he is 4th choice CM and 3rd choice RB. Same problem for him here as at WBA

Being too strong is misconduct now...what a joke

Knight and Bird core players evidently. So poor in midfield 2nd half 

Oh well, will take 3 pts Saturday instead

Edited by HOZDA

Jekyll and Hyde performance that. First half should've been out of sight. 2nd half I don't think we came out of the dressing room.

I've said it before and I'll say it again we miss Matty James. Scott Twine is not going to solve those issues we need someone who takes command of the midfield.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Second half was worryingly familiar. Appalling. 

Exactly. We’ve seen that so many times!

We try and keep the ball and inevitably miss place passes or throw in an utter rubbish cross. 

Stokes gets behind them rolls the ball across and no one gambled. FFS because we were to deep. 

Hickman and Williams were awful but by no means alone. Armstrong came on to late. Agh bollox to it why bother. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

A mostly positive first half, then a more negative second half.

Didn't handle the quintuple substitution by Coventry.

Overall a game that Coventry will feel they deserve the win from, I'd be inclined to agree, although a draw probably fair too.

I wouldn't get too despondent over this though, we largely matched a side that are expected to be in the playoff hunt with a rotated squad (aware they rotated too, but on the whole would say Coventry had a stronger side on the pitch for more of the game than we did).

Biggest concern was how sloppy TGH was on the ball second half.

There was a spell of about 5 minutes when every time he or Williams had the ball the pass was wayward.

• Thanks 1

Bit like Saturday, ultimately frustrating and disappointing.

First half, and for good periods at Hull, we seemed to move the ball faster. However, our quality of crossing would be disappointing at non league level. Lost the plot somewhat in the second half passing wise.

Fally and Armstrong look good additions, but we don’t look like we are going to score many either way at the moment.

Ho hum. On to Saturday.

Not surprised to hear the booing. It’s going to be a long season. Slow and toothless going forward. I feel for our forwards as they are going to have to play up top on their own with next to no service. Just crosses to the first defender every time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Sometimes as a City fan you turn up in August all excited, then as the games progress you think -  hang on I’ve seen this season before! 

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

• Haha 6
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

Was absolutely never a foul, but the booking was for his reaction to it.

Yeah, misworded that. Was never a foul and I can understand his response warranting the yellow. Sums the night up really.

Just now, Gert Mare said:

Not surprised to hear the booing. It’s going to be a long season. Slow and toothless going forward. I feel for our forwards as they are going to have to play up top on their own with next to no service. Just crosses to the first defender every time.

No change from last season. We have too many mid table players. I keep saying we need another winger! Sykes, Bell, Mehmeti just crap! 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Having watched both matches, I’m concerned that this may be another season where we fail to capitalise when we are top. Hull were awful on Sat, we should have scored a few and at the end of the game we only came away with a point. First half today, we were the better team, arguably against the Coventry B team, and again we fail to capitalise.

I fear another season like the last few, where we are “ok” but fail to score enough and loose games because stupid self inflicted mistakes or moments of class from the opposition.

There were too many players today who didn’t step up and show that they should be considered for this first team, Roberts, TGH, Williams, Bell and Naismith all average to poor. 

• Like 5

That was an awful 2nd half after a decent 1st half. TGH was terrible all game and Williams matched him when he came on. Not that it would have made any difference, but why not play Mehmeti on the left when he came on. He and Cornick looked like fish out of water playing right and left respectively. I thought Stokes did some good things and Roberts was steady most of the game. Just very passive 2nd half, too many loose passes and next to no control.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gert Mare said:

Indeed, like it or not they will be in for more it this season after last seasons debacle if things don’t tangibly improve. Going out in the first round at home was never to be a good outcome. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CityGill said:

Having watched both matches, I’m concerned that this may be another season where we fail to capitalise when we are top. Hull were awful on Sat, we should have scored a few and at the end of the game we only came away with a point. First half today, we were the better team, arguably against the Coventry B team, and again we fail to capitalise.

I fear another season like the last few, where we are “ok” but fail to score enough and loose games because stupid self inflicted mistakes or moments of class from the opposition.

There were too many players today who didn’t step up and show that they should be considered for this first team, Roberts, TGH, Williams, Bell and Naismith all average to poor. 

Honestly, thought Naismith was our best player.

Edited by MythikRobins
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

We need an injection of talent, a couple of 1st team reinforcements badly needed especially in the final 3rd.

We had them, they were just on the bench. 

Edited by George Rs

Just now, Shauntaylor85 said:

No change from last season. We have too many mid table players. I keep saying we need another winger! Sykes, Bell, Mehmeti just crap! 

We have two very good young wingers in Nelson and Pecover, either of them would be an upgrade on playing Bell or Cornick wide. Tonight was a good chance to have played one of them, but neither even on the bench.

Bell needs a spell on loan in League 1, and Cornick just needs binning off.

• Like 1

That was dreadful, I pity those that paid and actually went. Apart from Mayulu it's difficult to highlight another player worthy of selection for Millwall.

At least what crowd there was let the players know that was not even close to being an acceptable performance.

Appreciate you can't judge anything by 2 reserve teams in the Mickey Mouse energy drink cup, but a result and performance like that is not good for confidence, neither the players or ours.

• Like 1

Just now, MelksRed said:

We changed the entire front of our team midway through the second half.....with no tangible outcome / effect.

well we did become worse....I guess that is a tangible outcome

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ecko said:

What has happened to sykes and tgh? Both have regressed worryingly.

TGH has been flattering since his debut. Some odd nice touches, but his general positioning and concentration are no where near good enough.

Sykes I think was Pearsons man. Hasnt looked happy once since Manning came in. Just my observation.

• Like 1

Don’t buy this first half good argument. It was competent but we neither scored against a second string Coventry team nor seriously tested their keeper. Also don’t accept the argument that many of our players will not be starters on Saturday. Whoever plays, our approach is too laboured, lacks spark and decision making in the final third or s awful. If this is our “identity” I’m not impressed.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Immediate thoughts, they made a bold quin-sub to a near first XI and it shone through. Barring a little late flurry we rarely laid a glove against that quality. I felt we should have responded in kind earlier, Bird felt necessary.

Two games, one goal. BUT chances/moments in both games. If we don’t start converting more though - another season of nearly and maybe awaits.

Some very disappointing performances out there tonight, especially in the midfield. Knight wasn’t himself but I still wouldn’t have taken him off. TGH and Williams didn’t show the requisite quality.

A win against Millwall on Saturday and the start of the season suddenly looks a perfectly good one. 4 points and sod the cup.

I've properly had enough of us being shite my entire existence on this planet. It's insane that we get birthed into supporting a football team that is consistently so mediocre that it becomes genuinely boring to watch. I'd sell my left bollock for a season of PL football and just some intrigue around the gaff. **** me it's boring being a City fan.

I'm half cut which explains my furore but how can we even exist like this? Perennial 12th place City.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 1

Just now, Northern Red said:

Sykes was one of our better performers, but clearly a bandwagon has been started with him that people are jumping on.

He's frustrating, I think pessimists see enough bad that it can far outweight any good he does. His tendency to go backwards and his crossing stick out...

I thought he had a fairly effective day with some bad mixed in.